Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 08:15 PM
NBP is a pain...

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
[quote=gotkilled;11368638]
Originally Posted by thassett
Hey Guys, a couple quick additions here:

1) Fram Fresh Breeze Filter

I've got a 2006 TL with 58k on it, and am replacing the filter for the 2nd time. The first time, I just drove to Advance Auto and picked up the regular paper filter for like $28+. This time I really wanted to get a better filter with the charcoal / carbon filtration. I agonized over whether to get the WIX, bosch, etc, etc, and saw some conflicting information about part numbers. Then, I found the Fram Fresh Breeze filter, which I think is somewhat new because there aren't too many posts here about it. (I'm not normally a Fram user, but the Fresh Breeze is very good)

I can 100% say the correct part number for my 06 TL is: CF10134 This fit perfectly, and you can really see the charcoal in the filter media, and there is supposed to be some baking soda as well for odor elimination.

I ordered it from Amazon with free shipping, and the price was around $15. After much research, I think this is the best way to go.

+1 on the Fram Fresh breeze air filter.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:42 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
quick question, when you guys installed the ATP HA-5 charcoal filter, was there arrows showing which side to replace back? cause mine didint have any arrows watsoever and just replace the new filter back with the darker side facing up and the lines going horizontal...the charcoal was 2 colored right? one side was lighter white and the other was darker grayish? or was i blind during the process?
Old 10-10-2009, 06:23 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
FYI, i got my cabin air filter from here for only $6.00.

http://www.atozautolights.com/2006-ACURA-TL-SERIES.html
Old 11-04-2009, 01:41 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow this was by far the easiest thing ive ever done on my car. ive had problems installing intake, and doing my interior led's which both gave me a shit load of trouble each. this is seriously so easy!
Old 11-04-2009, 02:36 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by need4spd
not to get off topic too far, but some 04 TL's had an issue of water getting in under the back seat, that may be your problem (in salt states, the salt started showing on the seat belts as the water traveled up the nylon, salt with it).
That happened to my 97 CL. Messed up the back seat pretty good and the seat belt as well. do you know if this happens on 2005 TLs?
Old 11-17-2009, 01:09 PM
2nd Gear

Quick fix to a rattle

Thanks for the explanation. I was able to get under the glove box and tighten down a very annoying rattling screw in under 5 minutes thanks to this post!
Old 12-29-2009, 08:55 AM
TL = True Love

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
thanks for the write up. bought my car with 77k miles and now it has 82k and i dont know if the previous owner replaced this regularly, probably looks like dirty hell, gonna do this today
Old 01-05-2010, 04:46 PM
Advanced

Just changed mine. got a WIX cabin air filter at ABC auto for $9.95 (after my companies cash ticket discount haha). Thanks all for making this thread, saved me time for sure. And yea, I was nervous pulling the glove box housing, it took more force than I thought it would.

my $0.02: there was next to no slack in the trunk switch wires, so disconnect it ASAP to avoid damaging the wiring.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:10 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I changed mine today, only took me like 5 minutes here is a picture of the old filter. sorry for the quality I took it with my phone. I paid $28 for the OEM filter !!

Old 03-23-2010, 10:44 PM
Feenin on some 20's

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
Just an FYI, the cabin air filters have a $5 Mail-In-Rebate if you purchase one charcoal filter from ATP!!!

http://www.rockauto.com/lang/en/promo.html
Old 03-24-2010, 11:58 PM
Fear and Loathing in my

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
^ Just got mine in the mail today, installing tomorrow, and sending out the $5 rebate. Can't beat the price!
Old 03-26-2010, 01:03 AM
Fear and Loathing in my

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Replaced my filter today. I bought my car 1 year and 5 days ago with 43K on it. I have about 51K on it now, and decided to replace my filter. I wasn't sure if Acura did it or not, so I waited some time. These are the horrific pictures of the old filter that I took out. It seems to me that it has not been replace in YEARS!
Name:  cabin.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  107.4 KB

This is what it looked like in between each filter.
Name:  cabin2.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  90.1 KB

I recommend ANYONE to do this if they have not in at least one year, or is they have recently bought their car.
Old 04-03-2010, 09:33 PM
Intermediate

Replaced mine today, 64k on it, and i dont think they ever replaced the filter.

Name:  9filterremoved.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  60.0 KB
Old 04-06-2010, 05:04 AM
Feenin on some 20's

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
here is the promo code, sorry guys.

FROM Rockauto

http://www.rockauto.com/Images/CurrP...tpCAFpromo.pdf
Old 04-06-2010, 08:23 AM
Race Director

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,197 Posts
Originally Posted by TL on "20"
I changed mine today, only took me like 5 minutes here is a picture of the old filter. sorry for the quality I took it with my phone. I paid $28 for the OEM filter !!
What? You're kidding. I just went to the closest Honda dealer, they part # matched the Honda part to the Acura one. It was $7.50. Lol. I believe it came from an accord.

When you can, for these type of parts, go to Honda first, not Acura.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:15 AM
Advanced

I was able to change my air filter as well. Unfortunately I end up breaking two of the clips trying to pull the panel out. Hopefully it doesn't cause any rattles.
Old 04-09-2010, 05:49 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Timb227
Replaced my filter today. I bought my car 1 year and 5 days ago with 43K on it. I have about 51K on it now, and decided to replace my filter. I wasn't sure if Acura did it or not, so I waited some time. These are the horrific pictures of the old filter that I took out. It seems to me that it has not been replace in YEARS!

I recommend ANYONE to do this if they have not in at least one year, or is they have recently bought their car.

I just changed out mine, and it looked somewhat like Timb227's but not QUITE so bad I'm thinking its never been changed out for the 60k miles the car has. Just knowing I'm nothing breathing in pollen spores anymore is good to know
Old 04-09-2010, 09:55 PM
Intermediate

Yeah, none of the procedures seemed to answer the question for us early 2004 TL owners. It's too bad there aren't any screws to be found. Thankfully, the pics on pg 4 with the cut out of the glove box helped me "guess-timate" where to trace and cut out an access for the cabin filter. Thanks
Old 04-10-2010, 01:23 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by chindv
Yeah, none of the procedures seemed to answer the question for us early 2004 TL owners. It's too bad there aren't any screws to be found. Thankfully, the pics on pg 4 with the cut out of the glove box helped me "guess-timate" where to trace and cut out an access for the cabin filter. Thanks
My TL is an 04 and I was wondering about that too. Someone said on the first or second page to just give the housing a firm tug and it will just pop right off and they were right. I pulled from the right side and moved across. I'm pretty sure the parts that snap in will not break off while pulling, they seem pretty solid, but it did have me sweating a little when I yanked on it.

Its really easy to get off, especially for us 04s since there is only 2 screws to remove to take the box out of the compartment. The hard part is getting everything back in
Old 04-14-2010, 03:19 PM
i am so smart S M R T

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
here is my contribution to the dirtiest filter contest!!!

is was so easy to do with the write up !!
Old 04-23-2010, 10:14 PM
Racer

Thanks OP and others for the write-up. Saved me a nice chunk of change in not having to pay for the 2 service (replaced air filter with K&N at same time as cabin filter). I went with the Fram Fresh Breeze and here's my old filter for the "contest". Thanks again!

Old 04-30-2010, 05:00 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Has anyone successfully replaced the filter without removing the whole right side of the dash? I was able to get the door down all the way but didnt want to venture down too far from there.
Old 05-02-2010, 01:00 PM
Veeeee Tec

I bought my 04 with 57k and now have 109k. I just replaced it today and wowwow. I've never seen anything like it. Black chunks throughout the whole filter/ Leaves and other debris. The filter didn't say Honda on it. It said Microton.... So i beleive it was replaced but it's atleast 60k or so old.

Turned on the AC on full blast and let it run.. So much fresher.
Old 05-16-2010, 06:09 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i dont have the clips inside my glove box - its just felt material inside there. anyone know whats the best way to remove the glove box to change the cabin air filter?
Old 05-16-2010, 10:41 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by Project X
i dont have the clips inside my glove box - its just felt material inside there. anyone know whats the best way to remove the glove box to change the cabin air filter?
Follow the thread. It's tough the first time you do it. Just be careful and don't break anything. The second time around is a charm.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:56 AM
TEAM_SONIC

What is the correct way to place the ATP filter into the tray. I know that the OEM filter has the air flow arrow showing the correct way to place the filter. But with the ATP filter, one side is darker than the other. I want to know which side face down. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:12 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sondinh
What is the correct way to place the ATP filter into the tray. I know that the OEM filter has the air flow arrow showing the correct way to place the filter. But with the ATP filter, one side is darker than the other. I want to know which side face down. Thanks in advance.
I did the filter change yesterday with the ATP filter and mine also did not have arrows. I ended up using the dark grey side of the ATP filter as the bottom side since this closely matched the filter that was in there before (I did not install the previous filter). Not sure if this is correct but it works!
Old 06-24-2010, 10:50 PM
TEAM_SONIC

I have air scent freshener (the one that you can hang it on the rear-view mirror). I was thinking putting one of them underneath the tray and then placing the ATP filter over it. Will this do any damage? Has anyone tried this? Thanks.
Old 09-04-2010, 02:58 PM
7th Gear

Changing cabin air filter on '06 TL

Just thought I'd add my $.02 on the process...

I just changed the cabin air filter on my '06 TL. I used a Purolator C35519 I got at Advance Auto Parts for less than $15.

I dropped the glove box on its hinge by pushing in the molded fins (one on each side on the outside of the glove box liner). (There are pictures elsewhere in the thread.)

I removed the glove box liner by removing the two screws near the hinge, one on each side.

I removed the glove box housing by removing the two screws with washers at the bottom (pictures elsewhere in the thread). I also had the two pushpin fasteners at the top of the housing (push in the little round disc in the center to pop, then lift out the whole fastener with a flat edge).

Then I pulled the housing straight out, starting with the right side. By "straight out", I mean on a plane level with the garage floor. This popped out both clips at the top.

There was some gaffers tape holding a wiring harness on the back right-side of the housing. I untaped it and had enough room to swing the housing up so I could pull out the filter without disconnecting either of the wiring harnesses going into the housing.

My filter was filthy. 75k miles on the car and I don't remember the filter ever being changed. The Purolator filter had air flow marks on one side so orientation was easy.

Then put everything back together in reverse order. I did push in the housing on the right side first so that clip clipped first.

The only gotcha I had was putting back in the pushpin clips at the top of the housing. The trick is to push the claws back in towards the outer ring until they lock in place in a closed position. Then when you then put them back in the holes, they will spring open and catch.

Total time for the process? Probably 20 minutes, but five minutes of that was figuring out how the pushpin clips worked.

I haven't driven it since changing the filter so I don't know about any new rattles. (My glovebox has had the usual rattle for a while now.)

This thread made this whole task very easy and straight-forward. Thank you to everyone who contributed.

Next up? Changing the engine air filter.
Old 09-04-2010, 04:24 PM
Make it so

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by HokAy
quick question, when you guys installed the ATP HA-5 charcoal filter, was there arrows showing which side to replace back? cause mine didint have any arrows watsoever and just replace the new filter back with the darker side facing up and the lines going horizontal...the charcoal was 2 colored right? one side was lighter white and the other was darker grayish? or was i blind during the process?
I just installed my HA-5 filter this morning with another one. There are no arrows, but seeing as the air flow is DOWN (into the floor vent), I just put the darker side facing up. At the end of the day I don't think it really matters, either way the air will flow through the filter and hit all of the filter media.

As for you guys talking about dirty filters, I think I win. I changed mine in January/February and I don't think the previous owner EVER changed it. Figures, they were old people.

I win.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:19 AM
6th Gear

One more happy camper

Just did the procedure and jigsawed (what's with all this wimpy "Dremel tool" talk? :-) a slot for future changes. Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread!
Old 09-14-2010, 09:30 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by DuoDSG
I just installed my HA-5 filter this morning with another one. There are no arrows, but seeing as the air flow is DOWN (into the floor vent), I just put the darker side facing up. At the end of the day I don't think it really matters, either way the air will flow through the filter and hit all of the filter media.

As for you guys talking about dirty filters, I think I win. I changed mine in January/February and I don't think the previous owner EVER changed it. Figures, they were old people.

I win.
Funny, that new filter doesn't look at all like the Rockauto HA-5 which is charcoal impregnated.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:46 PM
Make it so

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by DMZ
Funny, that new filter doesn't look at all like the Rockauto HA-5 which is charcoal impregnated.
That air filter change was in January/February. I just bought the HA-5 two weeks ago and replaced it last weekend. I did not take pictures of the most recent change with the new HA-5.

Sorry, I should've clarified that. But yes, that was the old filter. The previous owner was tremendously meticulous when it came to maintenance, or so it seemed.
Old 10-30-2010, 07:18 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
I just replaced this filter on my '04. It had the screws that had to be removed like the newer models, but did have the push-pins at the top along with hidden clips. It didn't have the plastic clips inside the glove box either. I'm guessing mine is a late-'04?

My TL now has 97k miles on it and from the looks of the filter it, it looked OEM and dirty as hell. I replaced it with a charcoal activated one that I bought from walmart.

The whole process took maybe 10 mins... even with me spending the time to spray cleaner all over to make sure everything was clean before installing the new filter.

Very easy to replace filter!
Old 01-01-2011, 12:39 PM
2011 CR-Z EX 6spd Navi

Originally Posted by Timb227

Just replaced mine today using this (awesome) DIY. Makes me think the filter was - at best - replaced only once during the 98k miles that are on the car.

Thanks again for the write up
Old 01-01-2011, 12:58 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I changed mine for the first time and it was pretty easy. It's amazing how dirty the filter gets! I used this Youtube video to help out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQsDxqxyeqM
Old 01-04-2011, 11:49 AM
Instructor

Thanks for the DIY!! Saved 80$ from the stealership
Old 01-11-2011, 12:34 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by Yakuza17
I changed mine for the first time and it was pretty easy. It's amazing how dirty the filter gets! I used this Youtube video to help out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQsDxqxyeqM
Its filter time! Wanted to check this thread to refresh my memory, this youtube was nifty, mine isnt quite so easy, pulling the panels out and putting them back in are way more of a pain for me I seriously need to borrow a dremmel from somebody and cut that sucker.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:38 PM
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
DIY video made this a breeze!
Old 01-12-2011, 03:17 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by v|nsan|ty
DIY video made this a breeze!
Just note that there is one thing missing from the video, there should be another connector on the left...that youtube only shows the connector on the right (which i believe is the power supply for the glove box light)

Quick Reply: DIY: Replacing Cabin Air Filter 3G Garage DIY F-130