3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY: Ebay Accord Foglight Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 07:24 PM
Fear and Loathing in my

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I have the Honda Accord OEM fog light switch that I want to use. It's the same as th VSA button. How do I run just one wire to that button? Doesn't it need a harness to plug into?

Also, how do I know what is the constant and what's the 12v switch? Sorry bout the questions but I'm a novice at wiring and electrical.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:02 AM
Traveling the country

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think someone here posted a wiring diagram, might have to search for it.

I can not answer about the switch since I wired mine under the hood to come on with the headlights.
Old 07-21-2009, 04:53 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone know anybody around Vancouver BC area would be able to do this for me?
Old 07-21-2009, 08:37 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,986 Likes on 14,496 Posts
Look under my name for other posts from me back in April or so...I had eventually written a thread/post that tells you exactly how I wired up my Accord fogs. They are OEM and I used the OEM switch. It will have your answer. If you are a novice (which I was when it comes to relays), you will want these direct instructions on which relay to use and where to wire it up. It took me a LOT of frustration to finally get it right.

Good Luck!
Check out threads that I started/posted on in reference to ANYThing to do with the lower bumper fogs and Hid's etc....
Old 07-21-2009, 12:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 167 Likes on 140 Posts
Is there any thing that can be done to protect the lens of the fog lights? I know some lenses easily break when hit by a rock. I've seen some that dont. Both arent OEM. I know OEM is very durable but, I have seen a few broken lenses. Is there an available film I could place over to protect it from breaking?
Old 07-21-2009, 01:26 PM

lamin-x but it turns brown from the heat....i ran both my rsx and the tl with glass fogs and both have been ok. i think best thing is don't drive on highway behind dump trucks etc...
Old 07-21-2009, 01:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 167 Likes on 140 Posts
its funny you mention that. I do like to take long drives. By long drives I mean from NYC to miami freq.

Never cracked a lens. Instead they break while im driving in NY.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:30 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
vinyl / lamin-x

both lamin-x and vinyl turn brown then bubble up and melt
Old 07-30-2009, 03:24 PM
Intermediate

I have 2007 style front bumper on my TL, I can't afford to spend the money and buy the Acura fog lamps: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/07-08...=p4506.c0.m245 will the Honda 1's work ?

Are the the same dimensions, oval shape?
Honda lights: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/03-04...d=p3911.c0.m14
Old 09-15-2009, 05:35 PM
NEW CHECK ME OUT !!!

Thanks !!

thanks for the info man if the weather is nice tomorrow i'll give it a try cleared my head lights already two 12'' L7 kickers an interior light upgrades still new two site but as soon as i can post pics i will
Old 09-15-2009, 07:09 PM

Very similar...may need some adapting but it could work.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:53 PM
Instructor

has anyone used the 2001 accord fog switch and harness? I need help figuring it out!!!PLEASE!!!
Old 11-27-2009, 08:24 PM
Down for a photoshoot?

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
All right ... due to my ignorance in wiring knowledge I have probably spent hours trying to connect my accord fogs and now I have finally given up for today ...

PLEASE HELP! So I decided to go against the switch as I figured, although it may look cool, it won't be as useful a function for me as I probably won't be turning it on unless my headlights are on as well. Nonetheless, following the direction on page 1 of this thread, I connected the blue wire to an in-blade fuse holder with a 10A fuse which was then connected to the + terminal of the battery. As for the green wire, I connected it to an "add-a-fuse" device thingy for mini-fuses to be used in the underhood fusebox ...

Now ... I looked at the existing fuses for both high beams and low beams and they all seem to be using 10A+ fuses ... yet this "add-a-fuse" tap says that the amp ratings should not exceed 10A for anything being connected to the device ... to which fuse am i supposed to be connecting to then???

Sorry for the trouble nd thanks in advance @___@
Old 11-28-2009, 08:35 AM
Traveling the country

Originally Posted by crzygosu87
All right ... due to my ignorance in wiring knowledge I have probably spent hours trying to connect my accord fogs and now I have finally given up for today ...

PLEASE HELP! So I decided to go against the switch as I figured, although it may look cool, it won't be as useful a function for me as I probably won't be turning it on unless my headlights are on as well. Nonetheless, following the direction on page 1 of this thread, I connected the blue wire to an in-blade fuse holder with a 10A fuse which was then connected to the + terminal of the battery. As for the green wire, I connected it to an "add-a-fuse" device thingy for mini-fuses to be used in the underhood fusebox ...

Now ... I looked at the existing fuses for both high beams and low beams and they all seem to be using 10A+ fuses ... yet this "add-a-fuse" tap says that the amp ratings should not exceed 10A for anything being connected to the device ... to which fuse am i supposed to be connecting to then???

Sorry for the trouble nd thanks in advance @___@

Here is what I did.

Originally Posted by bimmerman
I did not use an in-line fuse when wiring straight to the battery, what I did was wire them so they are using the main battery fuse that is already on the fuse block under the hood.

I wired mine like this:

- The red/white/yellow wires they are together I cut the white wire down and tapped it off. Wired the red/yellow to the + on the battery using the main battery fuse of the car as my fuse.

- The brown connector with the green/blue wire, I cut the brown connector off and cut down the blue wire and tapped it up. Then I wired the green wire to the low beam headlights. I did this by connecting it to the fuse in the fuse block under the hood.

I like the way my wiring came out as I did not cut into any factory wiring at all so if I ever want to remove the wires you would never know they were installed. I may add a switch in the future, but I have had mine installed for about 2 weeks now and like them coming on with the low beam lights.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:50 AM
Down for a photoshoot?

hey bimmerman, thanks for the info.

I read your post earlier in the thread, and the thing is though, The only wires I have are blue, green and black to a single black relay. Black is for ground, blue for power, green for initiating power kick-in I'm assuming

I guess I will try moving the blue wire to the main battery fuse instead to the battery itself ... however, my question still stands regarding the "add-a-circuit" amp limitation??? did you just wrap the wire around the legs of the fuse and jam it in? It says to use a 10A mini fuse, but the headlights use a 15A mini fuse ... @_____@
Old 11-28-2009, 01:02 PM

Hey Crazygosu87...got your PM.

So you are NOT installing the switch inside the car? Meaning you are fine with using your stock stalk OEM fog switch inside the car to turn on/off your bumper fogs?

If so,
EASY...disconnect your oem fog bulbs (so they don't come on at the same time and overheat the wires AND also so they keep the opening sealed on the OEM fogs area) then just T-Tap (those taps that crimp onto existing wiring to avoid cutting it) the new Accord fog wires to the stock wiring. Ground and positive up from left and right. Easy. That's how I had mine wired originally...I didn't use the relay at all.
Old 11-28-2009, 02:05 PM
Traveling the country

I wired mine to come on with the headlights and left my oem fogs on the switch.

Try and make a small diag of how you have your wiring and we will see if we can help.
Old 11-28-2009, 03:05 PM
Down for a photoshoot?

Thanks for the replies rockstar and bimmerman!

I actually was interested in keeping the functionality of my original fogs though. Am I supposed to still use the black relay if I'm wiring to the battery and fusebox though??? I'll try to take some pictures soon so I can show you guys. Thanks a bunch!
Old 11-28-2009, 08:17 PM
Traveling the country

I want to say I did use the relay still, it has been a while since I installed them and have sold my car.

Do you have a link to the set you bought?
Old 11-28-2009, 08:38 PM
Down for a photoshoot?

Oh WOW you're still on the forums helping out people with TL questions even after you sold your car ... I can't thank you enough lolll

So I took a whole bunch of pictures ... but it turns out I left my card reader at school ... sigh ... here is a link to the item I have purchased though: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...5461&viewitem=

It seems to be the same exact set as what v-tec (the OP) had purchased and used, yet it seems he might have went the switch route @___@
Old 11-28-2009, 08:58 PM
Down for a photoshoot?

i'm looking at v-tec's initial post right now ... and it seems I followed all of his instructions ... yet which fuse am I supposed to hook up to with the "add-a-circuit" device? It says max amp rating is 10A yet the headlight fuses are 15A ... why is this so confusing for me ... the fail is strong in me i'm afraid to say ...
Old 11-28-2009, 11:42 PM

Ok...this should be pretty easy.
From relay...
1 wire is gonna be fused power to the battery.
1 wire is gonna be ground
1 wire (splits into 2) go to your foglights positive (I gave each of mine another ground on their own just to be sure)
1 wire will run into the car to work on the switch (if you're going on the mission of doing the relay wiring I would recommend a switch. If not, I believe you're just putting attaching that "signal" wire to your positive to your parking or headlight

At switch inside car...
1 wire will be ground there at the switch
1 wire will be the wire that was signal (ran from relay from engine bay)
1 wire will be signal wire (if you look up in there 1 of the red and black wires on the top part of the bracket that houses ALL the red wires under the dash is actually the parking light wire...T-Tap this wire and you're golden.

That's all...
Ebay or OEM...black is ground...white or red will be the 12 Volt wire and the green was the signal wire. Something like that. I hope this helps.

The ADD A CIRCUIT device you're looking at adding is to be installed under the dash at the fuse for the headlights or the accessory fuse rather than crimping onto the parking light wire.

That's all!
Old 11-29-2009, 10:53 AM
Down for a photoshoot?

Thanks once again! I think I will ditch the add-a-fuse idea and just ttap into the positive line of the original parking lights...
Old 11-29-2009, 12:40 PM
Traveling the country

Let us know how it works out.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:16 PM
Advanced

hey guys,
What would be the cause to the fog light switch always being illuminated.
I connected the Red/ Black Stripe Wire with the Blue wire before the "add-a-fuse" connection to the fuse box on #7.
Should I have ran both wires to that add-a-fuse instead of connecting before it?

Thanks, any help would be appreciated!
Old 11-29-2009, 06:16 PM
Advanced

nvm, figured it out.
Old 11-29-2009, 06:38 PM

Glad it worked out man!
Old 11-29-2009, 08:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 392 Likes on 202 Posts
Originally Posted by morphguy12
nvm, figured it out.
What did you do? Is the 12v line for bulb illumination seperate from the switch power?
Old 11-29-2009, 11:36 PM
Advanced

The blue wire is going to my add-a-fuse in #7. I had to take the red/black wire and connect it to the parking lights up near the VSA switch. Before I had it connecting to the add-a-fuse, so I guess it was getting constant power that way.

All the wiring is done, now I just have to do the actual fogs.
Pictures will follow!

Thanks for all the great info guys!
Old 11-30-2009, 12:25 AM
Down for a photoshoot?

I've tried tapping into the original fog positive wire and still no luck.

morphguy12 please take detailed pictures of the wiring for me!

Is it possible that my grounding point is ineffective??? I've used the bolt that is on the upper-left corner of the plate that holds the hood latch ... I think I'll try moving it to the ground that is used for the battery
Old 11-30-2009, 01:05 AM
Advanced

I took out a lot of the wires in the harnesses.
I'll take some pictures tomorrow, but try going to the battery ground.

In your relay, you should have the two power wires for the fogs, two ground wires ( which I tapped into and ran it to the battery ground), the green wire which goes to the switch inside, and the blue wire to the fuse box bolt.

crzygosu87, did you get the ebay or the OEM set? This is all for the OEM set, but should be the same, just different colors maybe.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:35 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by morphguy12
The blue wire is going to my add-a-fuse in #7. I had to take the red/black wire and connect it to the parking lights up near the VSA switch. Before I had it connecting to the add-a-fuse, so I guess it was getting constant power that way.

All the wiring is done, now I just have to do the actual fogs.
Pictures will follow!

Thanks for all the great info guys!
Oh, but i guess in other words my question was getting at the fact that if:

When the parking lights are on, depressing the lower fog switch to the ON position should result in the indicator bulb turning on and when the fog switch is in the OFF position, the indicator bulb should be off.

This is what I have been wanting to fix on my setup for a while now. Currently, mine is always on whenever the parking lights are on. I think I may need to run a trigger wire from the relay in the engine bay to the indicator bulb 12v input...

Does your work this way? (indicator light on/off based on fog switch position)
Old 11-30-2009, 08:23 AM

If there is a question...it's always better to overground than underground.
I thought my blue wire was up to the lights positive (2 into 1 at the relay) black was ground, which I t-tapped and grounded up near the battery AND grounded near the lights themselves, red or white was fused to the 12V constant. and Green into the cabin for the switch.

Gerzand. I want to say that I only used 3 wires from the switch...Green from engine bay relay (obvi), black to ground, and only 1 of the reds for the switch (red/black? maybe) to the parking lights. This way the switch is not illuminated UNLESS the fogs are on.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by rockstar143

Gerzand. I want to say that I only used 3 wires from the switch...Green from engine bay relay (obvi), black to ground, and only 1 of the reds for the switch (red/black? maybe) to the parking lights. This way the switch is not illuminated UNLESS the fogs are on.
ok, that is what is done to mine..... but for whatever reason its not working the same.

I think that perhaps my DEPO switch may be a little different and have a separate 12v feedback intended to come from the relay in order to control illumination.... the switch itsself does not physically control whether the indicator is off or in in a physical (mechanical) sense.

This is only a minor annoyance but I will investigate further.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:36 AM

Hmmm...I helped a friend do his ebay fogs too and was able to achieve the same result as mine. I'm sure you'll figure it out. You left out 2 wires from the switch, right?

I'm sure the only difference is wire colors.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:47 AM
Three Wheelin'

^^

Yes, thats correct.

Thats great, but it doesn't necessarily mean that every manufacturer uses the same method for wiring. For example, out of the box, DEPO uses a dual relay setup, as where some other ebay brand use single.

A year ago when I installed these, I even went as far as to open up the switch and follow the traces to figure out the pinouts of the switch. I do believe it was input driven too, but didnt realize the ramifications (slight annoyance) at the time

I'll post my results!
Old 11-30-2009, 10:14 AM

You've definitely looked deeper into this than me. I have the OEM ones and they had 2 relays. I think you may have even helped me with it at the time. I did spend a good amount of hours sitting with the switch and my 12 volt tester to figure out which wire did what.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:58 PM
Cruisin'

what's the bulb size that comes with this exact kit?
Old 03-21-2010, 09:07 PM

h11?
Old 03-21-2010, 09:57 PM
Cruisin'

can someone comfirm for sure? because im going to buy this fog kit and a set of hids but want to make sure i get the right size

Quick Reply: DIY: Ebay Accord Foglight Wiring