Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dirt behind gauges?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2004, 07:00 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dirt behind gauges?

I think someone complained that they had dust behind the radio or navi screen...does anyone have dirt on the inside of their Speedometer and other guages? Got in car after work yesterday and the sun was coming in in such a way that I saw my fuel and temp guage lens has filth all inside - you can see where some of it wiped off on install. I know the lens is duller to reduce glare, but this is just plain ol dirt - like my 3rd brake light had. Anyone have this or have it looked at? Now I gotta decide, is it worth it to have some dodo take apart my car then take a dirty rag he finds on floor and wipe it - scratching it all to hell, then reinstalling it and then I get rattles....or would you guys just leave it be since it does not impact my seeing the guage etc.
Old 07-02-2004, 07:09 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unfortunately I have this problem, too. And I am sure the majority does too. I am not going to ask the dealer to fix it as I am 100% certain that it will do more harm than good. Besides, it is not a big deal.
Old 07-02-2004, 07:33 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Originally Posted by Novice
Unfortunately I have this problem, too. And I am sure the majority does too. I am not going to ask the dealer to fix it as I am 100% certain that it will do more harm than good. Besides, it is not a big deal.
yea, that is where I am leaning too. Gotta choose your battles in life - and I think I will let this one pass by - the reward does not outweigh the risk IMO.
Old 07-02-2004, 07:40 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exactly. I've never seen this sort of thing with my two previous Accords. I guess the workers in OH are getting too many doughnuts or something.
Old 07-02-2004, 10:27 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TBone2004
I think someone complained that they had dust behind the radio or navi screen...does anyone have dirt on the inside of their Speedometer and other guages? Got in car after work yesterday and the sun was coming in in such a way that I saw my fuel and temp guage lens has filth all inside - you can see where some of it wiped off on install. I know the lens is duller to reduce glare, but this is just plain ol dirt - like my 3rd brake light had. Anyone have this or have it looked at? Now I gotta decide, is it worth it to have some dodo take apart my car then take a dirty rag he finds on floor and wipe it - scratching it all to hell, then reinstalling it and then I get rattles....or would you guys just leave it be since it does not impact my seeing the guage etc.

Yes, I have what looks to be smudges or something, almost like they used too mush windex or something to clean the ring that has the blue hatch marks on it, behind the glass on my gauges. I can see it when the light hits it right.
Old 07-02-2004, 12:12 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Originally Posted by rick955i
Yes, I have what looks to be smudges or something, almost like they used too mush windex or something to clean the ring that has the blue hatch marks on it, behind the glass on my gauges. I can see it when the light hits it right.
would you fix it or leave it?
Old 07-02-2004, 06:33 PM
Instructor

Probably fix, if the dealer doesnt think I too petty. I had the instrument bin replaced on my audi, no problems. The dealer wouldnt fix it, just replace the whole unit. BTW...the instruments are made by a vendor to AHM, not AHM themself, so teh QC problem is with whomever has the instrument contract.
Old 07-02-2004, 09:12 PM
Pro

I have the same problem. I'm letting it go for now.
Old 07-03-2004, 01:35 PM
Overlord - Team Abyss

Are you guys shure it just isn't the plastic "gassing" Is it like a haze? Could it be on the inside of the car where you can clean it off? I had what appeared to be dusty guages , but it was actually more like a residue that took some finger pressure to get off the guages. Anyway, just something else to try.

TheNip
Old 07-06-2004, 11:29 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TheNip73
Are you guys shure it just isn't the plastic "gassing" Is it like a haze? Could it be on the inside of the car where you can clean it off? I had what appeared to be dusty guages , but it was actually more like a residue that took some finger pressure to get off the guages. Anyway, just something else to try.

TheNip
Nope, mine is actual smudge marks on the shiny little ring part that surrounds the numbers on the instrument face, the piece with the blue hatch marks on it.
Old 07-06-2004, 03:24 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Nip - nah, mine is haze and fingerprints on the inside of the clear plastic on all gauges. sucks.

Originally Posted by TheNip73

TheNip
Old 07-06-2004, 04:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
my projector lamps have smudges on them.. but thats INSIDE the headlight, Acura does not make the headlights directly, so they must have been smudged in production of the headlight.. oh well
Old 07-06-2004, 05:24 PM
Burning Brakes

After about six months, my MDX guages got "dirty" on the inside from a combination of haze and particles that some how got behind the plastic covers. I just lived with it.
Old 09-10-2004, 12:16 PM
3rd Gear

I had a similar issue with my car also. I had the dealer replace the instrument cluster with a new one. They will not attempt to clean the cluster at the dealership. If you do decide to have the cluster replaced, insist on having the odometer re-calibrated. The dealer installed my new instrument cluster with the odometer set to all 0's. They said this was the standard procedure. They placed an "altered odometer" sticker inside the driver's door sill also. I had them remove the cluster and re-calibrate it to the correct millage. They had to send if off to Michigan to have the odometer re-calibrated (2 week process). After speaking with the dealership, I discovered that the only way for them to re-enter the correct odometer reading is to hook the cluster up to a machine that simulates driving at top speed. Interesting note - the top speed the electronics can register is 170 mph.
Old 09-10-2004, 12:31 PM
Team Anthracite Member

wow - that must have been a huge job - did everything go back in OK, no new rattles?

I want them to replace my dash by passenger side, but I am not sure what that will involve.

Thanks for the post. Here's some points.

Originally Posted by 04BLACKTL
I had a similar issue with my car also. I had the dealer replace the instrument cluster with a new one. They will not attempt to clean the cluster at the dealership. If you do decide to have the cluster replaced, insist on having the odometer re-calibrated. The dealer installed my new instrument cluster with the odometer set to all 0's. They said this was the standard procedure. They placed an "altered odometer" sticker inside the driver's door sill also. I had them remove the cluster and re-calibrate it to the correct millage. They had to send if off to Michigan to have the odometer re-calibrated (2 week process). After speaking with the dealership, I discovered that the only way for them to re-enter the correct odometer reading is to hook the cluster up to a machine that simulates driving at top speed. Interesting note - the top speed the electronics can register is 170 mph.
Old 09-10-2004, 01:13 PM
VTEC HoooA

I have the exact same 'gunk' behind my tachometer guage. I thought I had been a little over zealous with the Vinylex and pulled out the micro fiber to clean the guage face (so as not to scratch) . I was pretty pissed when I realized it was behind the plastic.

It is not hazing either. It looks like a chemical cleaner with dirt particles stuck in it (not very attactive). Since the guages are backlit at all times (day and night) I see it each time I get in the car. I may choose to pick this battle and have the dealer replace the guage cluster.