Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Different DVD-A Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2004, 10:24 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Different DVD-A Question

I have read with the interest the threads on converting regular CDs to DVD-A standards. My question is a little different. Can I take regular WAVs from CDs and burn them (many of them) onto a DVD to play in a TL? basically not using the DVD for increased channels/sound capability but rather just increased storage? Thanks!!
Old 05-06-2004, 01:28 AM
8th Gear

when you find that answer please tell me becouse i would love to be able to do that.
Old 05-06-2004, 07:57 AM
Cruisin'

Discwelder Bronze will do it. The process to convert CD to DVD-A is to rip the songs from the CD, save them as WAVs and then Discwelder puts the WAVs onto the DVD-A disc.
Old 05-06-2004, 11:46 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by orange_peel
Discwelder Bronze will do it. The process to convert CD to DVD-A is to rip the songs from the CD, save them as WAVs and then Discwelder puts the WAVs onto the DVD-A disc.
I think he just wants to create a 4.7GB DVD version of a Audio CD, without using DVD-A. Interesting question, I too woudl liek to know the answer if maybe using Nero and dumping all the .cda files on a DVD-R will it play?
I know most set top DVD players adjust what they support based on the media type (DVD vs. CD) detected then what is on it.
Old 05-06-2004, 12:22 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by KeithL
I think he just wants to create a 4.7GB DVD version of a Audio CD, without using DVD-A. Interesting question, I too woudl liek to know the answer if maybe using Nero and dumping all the .cda files on a DVD-R will it play?
I know most set top DVD players adjust what they support based on the media type (DVD vs. CD) detected then what is on it.

Unfortunately, this won't work (using Nero). SVTMike in this board tried it long time ago. The only way is to burn as a DVD-A.
Old 05-06-2004, 12:43 PM
TL hacker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So let me get this straight; You can rip a CD to .WAV files. Then you burn these .WAV files onto a DVD-A as a DVD-A tracks? So I guess this means that DVD-A has different compression and playback rates.

I'm also wondering how the sampling rate thing works. For example: If I were to convert some .MP3s to .WAVs the files would probably be smaller than if I ripped the same track from an audio CD. So I could probably cram a lot more audio tracks onto a DVD-A.

This discwelder thing sounds great. Assuming we can achieve the purpose most of us are looking for: Cram a lot of converted .MP3s or Raw CD audio trans on the larger capacity DVD-A discs.

And here's a bigger question: I read somewhere in the manual that the TL's audio sysem won't read DVD-R or DVD-RW discs. So is this a lie? If not, what media do you burn DVD-A content on?
Old 05-06-2004, 12:48 PM
TL hacker

Originally Posted by KeithL
Yes, but that's the media itself. CDA media uses a different file system that I don't think can go beyond 800MB. The set top DVD player is just switching from DVD to CD. But if you put a DVD-A disc in a player, it probably expects the right file system and can't play the disc if it's not formatted correctly. This is probably one of the things that discwelder does and Nero doesn't.

There's a difference in the file systems between DVD-data, DVD-video and DVD-audio just like the differences between CD-audio, CD-data and CD-video.
Old 05-06-2004, 02:14 PM
100k miles club

i tried it and it didn't work. i used nero to burn the wav files and used DVD+R and DVD+RW disc and it cannot read it. it may work with DVD-R but i don't have any -R discs to try.
Old 05-06-2004, 02:48 PM
Cruisin'

The dvd-a player will read dvd-r and dvd-rw written by Discwelder. Others have tried dvd+r and +rw and found that they don't work in the TL. DVD-A supports different sampling rates and word sizes so it can write two track stereo at the same sampling rate as CD (44.1kbs?).
Old 05-06-2004, 03:24 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Zeuser
So let me get this straight; You can rip a CD to .WAV files. Then you burn these .WAV files onto a DVD-A as a DVD-A tracks? So I guess this means that DVD-A has different compression and playback rates.

I'm also wondering how the sampling rate thing works. For example: If I were to convert some .MP3s to .WAVs the files would probably be smaller than if I ripped the same track from an audio CD. So I could probably cram a lot more audio tracks onto a DVD-A.
DVD-A does support different *sample* rates (e.g. 44.1 KHz, 48 KHz, 96 KHz, 192 KHz), different bit sizes (e.g. 16 or 24 bit samples) as well as multiple channels from 2 to 6 (5.1). It does also have a *compression* scheme (MLP - Meridian Lossless Compression) that allows more high-quality music to be squeezed onto a disc. This compression is moot for the likes of us, as the software that can do it is several thousand dollars.

Remember that a CD-quality wave file is a constant size (unlike, say, an MP3 file). It's sample rate is 44.1 KHz at sample size of 16 bits. Whether you rip such a wave file from a CD source or convert from a low-quality MP3 file, the file will be a constant size (approximately 10 MB per minute of music).
Old 05-06-2004, 04:34 PM
TL hacker

Ah that's a good point. So if you've already got the CD audio track and the MP3 version, it's probably best to start with the CD audio.

Still, the lack of an MP3 player can be overcome by converting the MP3s to CD-Audio format .WAV files and then using discwelder to cram them all onto a DVD-A.

It's more labour than just plugging in your MP3 player but since there still isn't a "clean solution" (hacking wires, loss of xm, loss of quality, dangling wires) for using MP3 players, this might turn out to be the best way so far.

4.3GB = ~ 430 mins of CD audio * 6 CD changer = 2580 mins (43 hours) of CD audio. Yeah... I can live with that.
Old 05-06-2004, 04:53 PM
Cruisin'

Discwelder only supports 99 tracks. I've run out of tracks before I've run out of disc space.
Old 05-06-2004, 05:03 PM
TL hacker

Holy crap! 99 tracks is still a lot of music for a single disc!

I've burned will over 140+ MP3s on regular CD-Rs. Too bad our cars can play those discs But I'm still happy with 99 tracks CD-audio quality DVDs.

I've gotta get this discwelder software!