Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

difference between TL and Accord

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 10:57 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by chfields
The TL does not come with Fog lights or auto dim so add another $580 and that makes $6495 difference. The power difference is negligible, HID's can be added, memory seats are not that big a deal(imo), the warranty makes no difference as both cars are extremely reliable, I have AAA anyways....Dollar for dollar and value for value the Accord is the better deal, but it's not always about economic value, sometimes it's about getting what YOU want and feel you deserve and the TL seems to fit that category for alot of people. If thats what makes you happy then go for it!!! I was convinced to get an Accord even though I really wanted a TL, well I decided when I owe less than it's worth, I'll be trading my Accord for a TL.

New for 2007... bumper restyle and fog lights in the lower portion of the bumper. Headlight auto on/off standard. Also, I think all 3g TLs have fog lights, but 04-06 are integrated into the housing.. I think... I don't have a TL yet.
Old 06-30-2007, 11:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Originally Posted by chfields
The TL does not come with Fog lights or auto dim so add another $580 and that makes $6495 difference. The power difference is negligible, HID's can be added, memory seats are not that big a deal(imo), the warranty makes no difference as both cars are extremely reliable, I have AAA anyways....Dollar for dollar and value for value the Accord is the better deal, but it's not always about economic value, sometimes it's about getting what YOU want and feel you deserve and the TL seems to fit that category for alot of people. If thats what makes you happy then go for it!!! I was convinced to get an Accord even though I really wanted a TL, well I decided when I owe less than it's worth, I'll be trading my Accord for a TL.
Sorry sir, but your incorrect. The TL does come w/ fog lights. They are integrated into the same housing unit on 04-06 models. For 07, they actually lowered the fog lights in a separate housing spot. Additionally, the TL does come with the auto/day night mirror w/ compass. My 05 has it and I don't see why the 07's wouldn't have it standard. Either that or my 05 is a production anomaly (sp?).
Memory seats are a huge deal when there is more than one person driving the vehicle (imo of course). The other goodies like extended warranty and concierge services can be had cheaper but those are standard things associated with a near luxury or luxury manufacturer. People spend lots of $$ on mods just for slight bump in hp and YES Accord owners do it too. I would hardly call the hp & torque differential a wash (not your words- mine) I stand by my earlier statement until proven otherwise- The price difference at most MSRP vs. MSRP is less than 6k. I'll be the first one to admit that I'm wrong. You just haven't proven it. I do agree with you wholeheartedly that sometime's it's about getting what YOU want and feel you derserve no matter how little or how much it costs. BTW, I completely agree that the Accord is the better value in ITS OWN CLASS just like the TL is the best value in its class. Both vehicles are great
Old 07-01-2007, 05:49 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 831 Likes on 679 Posts
The debate could go on forever, as the people that purchase an Accord, which to me borders on boring, need to justify why they didn't move up to a TL as both are reliable. Could be the $6,000 difference, but could also be for comfort reasons, or simply just don't like the racey appearance of the TL.

I'm certainly no expert on the topic, but thought I'd add that both are built on the same platform at the Honda Ohio facility. As stated before, the TL is more of a driver's car, as it is faster and needs premium fuel as a diet (Accord regular), handles better, better sound system, better interior with extra leather, more standard features and definitely not the run of the mill Accord body style. The TL isn't for everyone, as the large tires cause rumbling noises, and the crisp handling is a direct result of stiffer suspension components that would certainly turn ride quaility people away, probably to an Accord.
The Accord turning radius is smaller, and the trunk is larger, no rear seat fold down in the TL.

So if going fast, fighting corners, and looking good is your thing, the TL should be the choice, if not, the Accord is a great substitute.

Honda Accord 6 cyl, 3 L, Auto(5), 18/26 Regular Fuel
Acura TL 6 cyl, 3.2 L, Auto(S5), 18/26 Premium Fuel

Accord Wheels 17 x 6.5
Acura TL Wheels 17 x 8

Accord Tire 215/50-17
Acura TL 235/45-17
Old 07-01-2007, 08:36 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ggesq
Sorry sir, but your incorrect. The TL does come w/ fog lights. They are integrated into the same housing unit on 04-06 models. For 07, they actually lowered the fog lights in a separate housing spot. Additionally, the TL does come with the auto/day night mirror w/ compass. My 05 has it and I don't see why the 07's wouldn't have it standard. Either that or my 05 is a production anomaly (sp?).
Memory seats are a huge deal when there is more than one person driving the vehicle (imo of course). The other goodies like extended warranty and concierge services can be had cheaper but those are standard things associated with a near luxury or luxury manufacturer. People spend lots of $$ on mods just for slight bump in hp and YES Accord owners do it too. I would hardly call the hp & torque differential a wash (not your words- mine) I stand by my earlier statement until proven otherwise- The price difference at most MSRP vs. MSRP is less than 6k. I'll be the first one to admit that I'm wrong. You just haven't proven it. I do agree with you wholeheartedly that sometime's it's about getting what YOU want and feel you derserve no matter how little or how much it costs. BTW, I completely agree that the Accord is the better value in ITS OWN CLASS just like the TL is the best value in its class. Both vehicles are great
Your right....I forgot that the fogs were integrated..my bad...but there is only 14 more HP in TL than the Accord(258/244) and only 23 FT LBS torque more than Accord(233/211) so it's very close....I do find the Accord a little floaty, so I added a 20MM sway bar and now it handles great!! Since I am the only driver the memory seats are mute and the auto dimming is no big deal(to me that is) but like one guy said, the Accord is BORING looking and looks like all the other Accords, whereas the TL is one HOT looking car. very time I see a TL pass I sigh....For now, I'm stuck with the Accord, but as I said earlier, once it's paid down to it's value or a little below, I will be trading it for a new TL.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:55 AM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Even though the horsepower in the AV6 and TL is close, I think the tuning of the car is different. If there is someone who can explain what they did, speak. I 'd like to know
Old 07-01-2007, 12:09 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's kinda like comparing apples from Safeway to apples from Dean & Deluca. The latter is still an apple, but it's a far better, more delicious, more ripened, more enjoyable apple.
Old 07-01-2007, 03:25 PM
Racer

C'mon will some automoblie technohead tell me the difference.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:53 PM
WHT-on-BLK

The Accord is the TSX.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:19 PM
blkcou

TL vs Accord

I just traded in my 2000 Honda Accord Coupe EXV6 for a 2007 Acura TL, well the TL is a luxury sports sedan and the the Honda was a sports coupe. Both have the Vtec engine the TL with a little more horse pwr. I was able to do more mods on the Accord coupe, there is a lot of after market items available out there as opposed to the TL. But whats there to do to the TL. They are both great cars in their own way.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:57 PM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by 100%Belizean
The Accord is the TSX.
Everyone keeps saying that in this thread, but in fact the TSX is the european Accord. The American Accord is the TL. Well at least trying to be
Old 07-03-2007, 07:00 PM
2nd Gear

I need help, I have heard from a customer @ acura that I should buy a thicker anti sway-bar. He said it is the most important addition to the tl before anything else. Does anyone have any knowledge about this? If so where can I buy one? Thank you all you tl lovers very much, Larry4532,drmwvr
Old 07-03-2007, 07:44 PM
3rd Gear

I will never buy a Honda again! I was recently in an accident in my 03 Accord that ended it up totaled and after picking up my 07 CBP 5AT TL last week the difference is night and day. Sure you can get a Honda Accord for less but add in everything that the TL has and MSRP is over 30K. Compare that to the 33K with Navi I got the TL for and why bother. Sure you can get the Accord for less then MSRP but you cannot add in the style and overall quality that the TL has over the Accord. And while we were at the dealership we looked at the RDX and now my wife want to trade in her 07 CRV. For the price, style and quality please don't try and compare the Accord to the TL.
Old 07-03-2007, 08:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
I don't have a TL but I got it's stable mate a 02 CL type S

Biggest difference between the 98 accord LX V6 and the Type S is

ENGINE RESPONSIVENESS even though the CL typ S weighs in at 318lbs more, the Type S motor just owns the Accord V6 in just about every possible way thanks to the MUCH FATTER and MORE BROAD torque curve. Having driven a 03 Accord V6 and a 2006 TL I would say that not much has changed.

CL is quieter by far, seats are more comfortable in the CL but the Accord Coupe Seats are almost just as good.

Around here you can get a NEW TL for 34K and an Accord V6 with the same options is $31K.....makes it much easier to choose what car to drive IMHO.

Both cars did give me the feeling that my head was way too close to the door though. Strange enough I do not get that feeling in the CL
Old 07-03-2007, 08:59 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by larry4532
I need help, I have heard from a customer @ acura that I should buy a thicker anti sway-bar. He said it is the most important addition to the tl before anything else. Does anyone have any knowledge about this? If so where can I buy one? Thank you all you tl lovers very much, Larry4532,drmwvr

drmwvr

Old 07-04-2007, 02:13 AM
- Doc

I scanned through the thread and (maybe I missed it) but nobody mentioned the aggressive sexy look of a slammed AV6! Yes the TL is a perfectly capable ride, but c'mon it's not a sleek coupe.

As far as performance goes, stock the cars are practically identical. The same mods are available to both of us. My pro cats, CT cat-back and cat delete gave me a 14.2 1/4mi. With a 55 shot, stage 3 clutch from Clutchmasters and axles from Gator racing, I expect to be in the mid 13s. A soon as I can get a reservation the new Ferry to Maui, I'll confirm it for you all.

Yeah I don't have 4 doors, but I didn't want them. I spent 25K on my ride in June 05 and purchased it because it was the hottest car I could get a deal on, from one of my clients.
Old 07-04-2007, 02:55 AM
- Doc

as an addendum here's my dyno sheet. Pre - NO2/clutch/axles.

AEM V2, e-Shift Pro Cats, CT cat-back, tb spacer, grounding kit, VAFC-II, etc.

231hp/194tq, Dynojet numbers.

Watch the video for the 14.2...
Old 07-11-2007, 10:43 PM
Air Vice Marshal

Received 288 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by lowgrowl
I'm happy with my TL and have no regrets about choosing it over the accord. We all know it has more horsepower, but specifically what exactly did they do to the TL to distance it from a Accord EX-V6.
Well, we've owned a total of five Accords, with my wife currently in an '07 EX-L 4cyl AT and my daughter in an '07 EX-L V6-6MT w/nav. I've driven them both a fair amount, so I feel I can give a decent assessment of how they compare to my '07 TL-S 6MT.

First, the 4cyl is a slug compared to the V6-6MT. Although, to be fair, it compares pretty well with a TSX. Both EX-L's have all the power gadgets, leather seats, etc. . For those whose experience is with the older Accords, I can say they get noticeably better every generation. The EX-L V6 compares very well with a base TL, although it lacks a few of the gadgets like HFL. The most noticeable difference when driving them is noise. The Accord definitely has more road noise. I believe it may be partly because of the folding rear seat. It's a thinner, lighter seat back that lets noise in from the trunk area. There is no "seat of the pants" performance difference between the base TL and an EX-L V6. The small HP difference is offset by the weight difference. The TL-S is definitely faster and has a much tauter suspension.

The TL-S is much quieter, perhaps in part because of the noise canceling system.
A standard TL is about midway between a TL-S and the EX-L V6 in performance, while the Accord gets several miles more per gallon, and burns cheaper 87 octane while doing it.

The EX-L nav is the same voice actuated nav as my TL-S, only with a somewhat smaller screen. The TL-S actually uses the same DVD, but has several navi features disabled. My daughter has an on-screen trip computer with instantaneous mileage as well as on-screen heater and A/C controls, while the TL has a trip computer in the MID along with a tire monitoring system.

The 3.0 L, 244HP Accord EXL w/nav is 27,184. A 3.2L, 258HP TL w/nav is 33,807 and the 3.5L, 286HP TL-S is 35638. (all prices invoice) So, a TL which is essentially the same platform with a few features and 14 more HP costs 6,623 more. For another 1,831 you can get the -S and its features and 28 HP. Way more bang for your buck going from the TL to a TL-S than there is going from an Accord to a TL.

Frankly, I think I'd have a hard time paying almost 25% more for a base TL over an EX-L. I thought long and hard before spending even more for the TL-S.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:15 AM
Racer

I had a 2004 Accord V6 w/o Navi. I traded it in for the 2007 TL-S.

I liked the Accord, but I LOVE my TL-S. I never had a problem with the Accord (60,000 mi). It had decent acceleration but was not exciting. The interior was comfortable but a little bland.

My TL-S is just a little better in every way. The seats are more comfortable, the engine has more power, the ride is quieter, the radio is better etc.

When I bought the Accord I was looking at the base TL and at the time, I couldn't justify paying the $8,000 premium (Since I got a really good deal on the Accord). However, now I am very glad I traded up. I think the big seller for me was the TL-S package.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:20 AM
Type S personality

I have driven the TL and Accord. Both are lovely compared to other cars in their respective segments. Where I am the TL costs probably $10,000 Cdn over the top of line AV6. The Acura is more aggressive looking, and loads of toys, and more power. The AV6 is not slouch. Good power, nice looking, and Honda refinement. The Accord have somethings over the Acura, vice versa. Either car is great. I used to drive Toyotas and Nissans but now I am a Honda/Acura dude.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:31 AM
07 TL w/Nav NBP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rockyfeller
Yes it has been figured out. Many of us have hacked the Navigation to get access to the trip computer, HVAC controls and the most important thing....to bypass that nagging "OK" screen. I can't live without it!
How is this done??
Old 07-12-2007, 10:58 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
^^^ start here and happy reading

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ight=navi+hack
Old 07-13-2007, 09:26 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
Originally Posted by ggesq
let's compare apples to apples since prices vary by region and so do taxes, doc fees....

a brand new Accord w/ Navi, cassette, fog lights and auto/dim feature is 30,880 (MSRP) according to the honda website.

a brand new TL w/ Navi is 36,795 MSRP.

difference is $5915. so for almost 6k more you get the acura name, better looking car (subjective of course), slightly more hp and torque, HID's, ELS, memory seats, longer warranty, Acura Total Care which includes roadside assistance concierge services. Maybe a few other things. if that is worth 6k then the TL is great. if not, then get the Accord
That last paragraph is pretty much why I opted for the 07 AV6 EX-L w/Navi over its TL counterpart: I did not find the TL (non-Type S) to be $6,000 better than the loaded Accord. Coupling that with the ubiquity of the Acura TL in Central NJ AND the great deals on Accords (just as Calgary2800 indicated), the AV6 wound up being a no brainer for me.

Two different neighbors have asked me how I like my Accord and my mother in law now wants to purchase one so, its styling (though boring) cannot be too bad. (I was never asked how I liked my previous car: 2002 Nissan Maxima SE. )

Honda could have easily equipped the Honda Accord EX-L V6 the same as it does the JDM Honda Inspire (Int / Ext ) but that could seriously cannibalise TL sales.

After owning the 07 AV6 for five months, I still have no regrets, no buyer's remorse nor any desire to sigh at the sight of the TL. if I am supposed to. I purchased a great car for sub-invoice so, I have NO complaints.

And as mentioned in an earlier post, both cars represent terrific values for their respective classes.
Old 07-13-2007, 01:56 PM
This space taken.

Originally Posted by F23A4
Coupling that with the ubiquity of the Acura TL in Central NJ
Right... because the Accord is incredibly rare.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:00 PM
This space taken.

As far as I'm concerned my '05 has 30 more hp than my wife's 03 Accord EX-V6. I choose not to accept the new ratings.

I do wonder, though, why the TL was downrated 12 hp while the Accord didn't budge off its 244 hp rating. I understand the difference in ratings, I just figured the two motors being so similar would be similarly effected.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Jurisprudent
Right... because the Accord is incredibly rare.

Here in Central NJ you will observe more 3G TLs than Accord V6s (<--- that'd be the one with six cylinders). Maybe it is due to the ~$30k sticker price, questionable styling or relative affluence of the Somerset/Hunterdon/Middlesex counties but, TLs seem to outnumber AV6s around here.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Jurisprudent
As far as I'm concerned my '05 has 30 more hp than my wife's 03 Accord EX-V6. I choose not to accept the new ratings.

I do wonder, though, why the TL was downrated 12 hp while the Accord didn't budge off its 244 hp rating. I understand the difference in ratings, I just figured the two motors being so similar would be similarly effected.
The AV6 was updated from 240hp/212lb-ft to 244hp/211lb-ft, in accordance with SAE J1349.

I also choose not to accept this neither and simply refer to my AV6 as having LUDICROUS power.
Old 07-14-2007, 12:16 AM
This space taken.

I thought the bump to 244 came before the change in ratings - Not so?
Old 07-14-2007, 12:23 AM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
For some reason I have never cared much for the Accord from the time they came out. Prior to buying my TL I tried to like the EXL V6. Something about the interior just felt cheap or budget priced to me.

Understand that I've had numerous Civics' over the years and still have my 93 delsol. The Accord just doesn't do it for me, the TL does. Rationally, the Accord is a better value for the dollar. That's part of the reason that the Accord outsells the TL by something like 5/1.
Old 07-14-2007, 07:51 AM
Drifting

Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts
TL at this point is a classic car...(04-07)--bodystyle/interior is timeless...
This years accord is just another accord..boring and bland..although good if your on a budget. I think the new Camrys are slicker than the new accords.
Old 07-14-2007, 08:48 AM
Type S personality

The new Camry is fast, but the handling and interior is not as good as the Accord.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:01 AM
Racer

I love the interior in the 04-07 TL. Sit in a BMW and you feel like your in a classroom. No warmth
Old 07-15-2007, 01:28 PM
RAR
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by larry4532
Good bang for the buck. You can buy the Comptech (22 mm) or Progress (24mm) Rear Sway Bar. I currently have the Comptech RSB, a lot a folks like the Progress. You can buy from Excelerate. Here's a couple of links for more details:

https://acurazine.com/forums/money-investing-17/free-credit-reports-start-tomorrow-162199/
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ptech+Progress

RAR
Old 07-16-2007, 08:14 AM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I have a 2002 Accord EX-L V6 and just purchased a 07 TL-S 6MT. The interior of the TL is much more luxurious, the doors are heavier, actually can close themself if you don't open the door fully to get out, better sound insulation.

The Accord is a good car, I'm still keeping it, but the TL is going to be the car for long trips and cruising.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:24 AM
- Doc

TL- 4 doors.
AV6- 2 doors.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:16 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by papiowhisperer
TL- 4 doors.
AV6- 2 doors.
??? How is the Accord V6 6MT -SEDAN- a 2 door vehicle?
Old 07-16-2007, 11:09 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by cbptls
I have a 2002 Accord EX-L V6 and just purchased a 07 TL-S 6MT. The interior of the TL is much more luxurious, the doors are heavier, actually can close themself if you don't open the door fully to get out, better sound insulation.

The Accord is a good car, I'm still keeping it, but the TL is going to be the car for long trips and cruising.
The 02 Accord is built on the previous generation's platform making your Accord more comparable to the 99-03 3.2TL. But with your statement even as it relates to the 03+ AV6 EX-L. For the extra cost, those attributes should be a given. Honestly though, my old 99 Accord 4dr feels as though it is a little more solidly built than my 07 AV6.

Originally Posted by papiowhisperer
TL- 4 doors.
AV6- 2 doors.
Both the 6MT and 5AT AV6 can be acquired as a 4 door.

Originally Posted by jurisprudent
I thought the bump to 244 came before the change in ratings - Not so?
The SAE net rating went into effect with the 06 MY Accord which is also when the 244hp rating appeared. Caveat: part of the "+4hp" was due to the J30A5's (updated from the J30A4-240hp) improved intake/exhaust system airflow. LINK I do wonder if the 03-05's J30A4 would also have had a '4.5% HP reduction' in reported HP due to SAE net as the TL (04-05 vs 06-07).