3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did the 99 Acura TL have as many problems as the 04 TL seems to have?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2004, 02:23 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did the 99 Acura TL have as many problems as the 04 TL seems to have?

It seems to me that there A LOT of issues surfacing with the 04 TL. Whether its rattles, drooping headliners, seat memory modules (that's new to me) or manual trannys needing replacement, it seems that there are number of you guys with problems. However, I do wonder whether its a function of first production year glitches OR if there is something inherrently wrong the the new TL.

Does anyone know if the 99 Acura TL had as many issues? (This was the 1st year of the 2G TL.) I dont recally whether or not there were this many issues with the 2G TL. I know the 2G TL had tranny problems but besides that, I dont recall any issues. Just curious.

As my 2k2 Maxima's lease is up next April (and I'm debating on whether or not to trade up), I've been considering the TL (along with the G35S, Volvo S60R and certified-used 540i) as a possible replacement. But I'm hearing a sizeable number of complaints for issues that IMO should not be an issue with Japanese import makes, especially in this price category. (As questionable as the build quality may be on my Maxima, it is rattle free and tight as new.)

I really hope Honda works this stuff out by the 2005 model year. The TL is a sweet ride and it would suck if its reputation took a nosedive. (i.e.: Mercedes Benz)

Peace.
Old 06-09-2004, 02:51 PM
You touch my tra la la...

I'm too tired to explain that the only thing you'll see here is complaints. Why would anyone come here and make a thread everytime something works?
Old 06-09-2004, 02:54 PM
Retired MOD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
YES....probably more.

Acura fixed a lot of them in the 00 model. Not the rattles.

Most of the old ones were fixed on 04, or at least I haven't heard any on the 04 that was on previous models.
Old 06-09-2004, 02:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by GaleForce
I'm too tired to explain that the only thing you'll see here is complaints. Why would anyone come here and make a thread everytime something works?
exactly

Poster 1: hey guys, my TL works!
Poster 2: um ok, mine too, congrats

if the car was perfect there wouldnt be much discussion, EVERY CAR has problems, even a 300K lamborghini... relax
Old 06-09-2004, 03:01 PM
SOLD

Originally Posted by VQ35DE
It seems to me that there A LOT of issues surfacing with the 04 TL. Whether its rattles, drooping headliners, seat memory modules (that's new to me) or manual trannys needing replacement, it seems that there are number of you guys with problems. However, I do wonder whether its a function of first production year glitches OR if there is something inherrently wrong the the new TL.

Does anyone know if the 99 Acura TL had as many issues? (This was the 1st year of the 2G TL.) I dont recally whether or not there were this many issues with the 2G TL. I know the 2G TL had tranny problems but besides that, I dont recall any issues. Just curious.

As my 2k2 Maxima's lease is up next April (and I'm debating on whether or not to trade up), I've been considering the TL (along with the G35S, Volvo S60R and certified-used 540i) as a possible replacement. But I'm hearing a sizeable number of complaints for issues that IMO should not be an issue with Japanese import makes, especially in this price category. (As questionable as the build quality may be on my Maxima, it is rattle free and tight as new.)

I really hope Honda works this stuff out by the 2005 model year. The TL is a sweet ride and it would suck if its reputation took a nosedive. (i.e.: Mercedes Benz)

Peace.
All production cars from Kia to MB have first year kinks when models are redesigned, it's just human error, I would expect next years cars to be a lot more "trouble free". Of course I would rather have squeaks and rattles than failed electric and mechanical issues. (tranny is still in question, check by time 05 comes out on 04 trannies). You also have to look at it this way - there are 50,000 plus TL's sold this model year, ONLY MAYBE A COUPLE HUNDRED ON THIS FORUM. 500 people with a problem would be one percent of the population, which by Consumer Reports standards is still their TOP RATING for quality.....and I bet 2005 TL's will be even less so
Old 06-09-2004, 03:04 PM
4th Gear

I think problems are inherent in every first year car. I normally wouldn't buy a first year model except I trust that Honda's 1st year issues are FAR less than American brands. So far, based on my experience and the postings on this site, I would say the problems are fewer and for the most part, less severe than other car makers.
Old 06-09-2004, 03:12 PM
Intermediate

I have a 99 TL and I never experienced any of the "major" problems people reported then. Do I have the occassional rattle or seat squeak? Yeah, but after a while, it takes more energy to complain about it and/or try to get it fixed then just sitting back and enjoying my ride.

I certainly sympathize with those who have serious problems like transmission or parts of their ceiling drooping down on them, or even serious bugs like memory seats not working correctly, but sometimes the small irritating things just aren't worth the trouble -- it only distracts you from enjoying the otherwise great car you have. Kinda like the saying not being able to see the forest through the trees. If you focus on the small little problems, you're really losing out on the overall great experience of owning an amazing car.

And it's true about these kinds of boards -- most people only post about bad things. And the other thing to keep in mind is that of all of the owners of TLs, I can assure you that the viewers/posters of this board represent only a very small percent. So taken into consideration those two points, sometimes a problem that seems "widespread" among members, may not be that big of an endemic overall.

Of course, I do realize for those major problems like the tranny issues, the Internet is great for raising awareness and in some cases getting the manufacturer to take action. But to me, getting all worked up over a few rattles here and there, after a point just isn't worth it. And yeah, like most everyone else, I get the "for $35K I spent I should get a car that doesn't rattle or squeak at ALL!" attitude every now and then.
Old 06-09-2004, 03:15 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by AAARGH
I think problems are inherent in every first year car. I normally wouldn't buy a first year model except I trust that Honda's 1st year issues are FAR less than American brands. So far, based on my experience and the postings on this site, I would say the problems are fewer and for the most part, less severe than other car makers.
Yeah, that's my feeling as well. I imagine these issues should disappear once the 05 model hits the floor.

Galeforce, I dare to say that a majority of the threads here (IMO) are praise for the new TL. Mainly for the TL's wide assortment of features as well as performance; especially for the money. Even on other sites like Maxima.org, there's praise for the new TL (mainly in the 5th gen forum as we hate the 04 Maxima, in general). It's just that the complaints go beyond the usual petty grievances (i.e.: bad cupholders, no ashtray or something lame like that).

Though I'm a Nissan guy, I have a lot of love for Hondas as well. So, I just dont want to see Acura go the way of Mercedes Benz in quality (read: Hero to Zero). Which is why I posed the question I posted in context with the prev generation TL.

Peace.
Old 06-09-2004, 03:19 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Same here. I bought one of the first '99s off the line. It has been a great car.

I don't think that the internet forums were quite as active back then, so it's tough to compare complaint levels. I'll just have to compare when I get my '04 later this month.

Yep, I have had some small rattles. These are mde in North America, after all.
Old 06-10-2004, 02:25 AM
Drifting

I'm on my 4th Acura starting with a '94 Legend and now the '04TL. All the cars had minor problems, but this car is the best one yet. I've never had any major mechanical problems, but mostly minor issues like small rattles and paint defects. These problems were so minor I would never blame Acura for any of them. Having owned several brands of car's, the Acura seems to be as good or better than any of the previous vehicles I've owned. The worst cars I've ever owned as far as quality goes were the 2 GM products the worst being a "68 Corvette...a total piece of crap quality wise. Talk about rattles....this car was like driving around in a box full of bolts. It drove me crazy for one year until I finally got rid of it.
Old 06-10-2004, 02:55 AM
Racer

yea way too many compliants here..i agree with galeforce
see the same compliants over and over and the more compliants ppl see the more they post about other compliants
i bet if this forum didnt exist majority of the ppl wouldnt notice the small rattles or vibrating tires...

theres no such thing as A PERFECT CAR!
so STFU and enjoy it

these rattles arnt that big anyways...there small problems....there are other cars with ALOT more major problems...

just my .02
Old 06-10-2004, 04:47 AM
Burning Brakes

I agree. I don't have any problems at all and have one of the first cars produced. I sure don't base any decisions on posts I read on the internet.
Old 06-10-2004, 05:16 AM
Advanced

Great point!

EZ
Old 06-10-2004, 07:11 AM
Burning Brakes

I've had a 2003 TL as a loaner for three days now. This car feels like a bus. There are so many rattles I don't even know where to start. The seats look like vinyl (is this leather?)? I know I know this is a loaner and is probably abused big time. I do like the seats as they are more comfortable than those in 2004 TLs. What a difference one year makes in terms of interior of each car.
Old 06-10-2004, 10:27 AM
Cruisin'

I had a 1999 TL until I bought the 2004 model. During the five years of ownership, there were only two problems that required service, other than scheduled maintinance. In 2003, the brake light was coming on in cold weather, although the braking wasn't effected.
The dealer replaced some sort of cap. In 2004, the light for the clock needed to be replaced. I had absolutely no complaints about the quality of the 1999 TL.
Old 06-10-2004, 10:45 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I never had any problems with my '99 TL during 2 1/2 years of ownership and I don't have any problems with my '04 TL either. It just keeps getting better.
Old 06-10-2004, 11:44 AM

I'm on tons of forums. It's not the people. It's the car. People expect a 35k Acura to have no problems and they shouldn't have. The TL has been plauged with problems since they started building them in Ohio. Notice the 1st gen forum, a car much older, has nill quality problems.
Old 06-10-2004, 12:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I'm on tons of forums. It's not the people. It's the car. People expect a 35k Acura to have no problems and they shouldn't have. The TL has been plauged with problems since they started building them in Ohio. Notice the 1st gen forum, a car much older, has nill quality problems.
Old 06-10-2004, 01:12 PM
Pro

Wow! I'm agreeing with 1Sicklex. :D

But yes! That's what I'm getting at. I cant wait to see the JD Power Initial Quality survey that comes out for the 2004 m/y; this should be VERY interesting.
Old 06-10-2004, 01:52 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
As I said earlier, I had NO PROBLEMS with my '99 TL and I've had NO PROBLEMS with this one. And $35k ain't all that much for a car as today's prices go. I think Acura delivered a damn good one for the money.
Old 06-10-2004, 02:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
99TL with lots of mods and no problems. 55,000 miles.
Old 06-10-2004, 04:25 PM
Intermediate

anyone ever own a Vigor? Was that the predesessor (sic) to the TL? I owned a 92 Vigor and had no problems with it. I believe 92 was first year for Vigor..maybe Im wrong on that
Old 06-10-2004, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by VQ35DE
But yes! That's what I'm getting at. I cant wait to see the JD Power Initial Quality survey that comes out for the 2004 m/y; this should be VERY interesting.
Didn't Acura drop to like 1 point above the industry average in the last JD Power? It's already happening. Honda scored better than Acura not to mention tons of brands.
Old 06-10-2004, 06:03 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by cTLgo
exactly

Poster 1: hey guys, my TL works!
Poster 2: um ok, mine too, congrats
Poster 3: should've bought a Nissan :fingerfawk:
if the car was perfect there wouldnt be much discussion, EVERY CAR has problems, even a 300K lamborghini... relax
Old 06-10-2004, 06:14 PM
Instructor

I do not consider the first year of the TL to be that bad given that the Accord upon which the TL is based is in its second year of production.
Old 06-10-2004, 08:05 PM
Racer

I have a '99 TL with over 82,000 miles and no rattles, squeaks or other problems, currently. In total, I've had a fuel gauge sending unit replaced, the A/C auxiliary fan replaced, and I just replaced my rear view mirror.
Old 06-10-2004, 08:31 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Hmmm, what car would you suggest 1SICKLEX. Perhaps a Lexus. :shit: :fingerfawk:
Old 06-11-2004, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by BLEXV6
Hmmm, what car would you suggest 1SICKLEX. Perhaps a Lexus. :shit: :fingerfawk:
I don't suggest anything. But in reality the TL offers hella gizmos and items for the price, something has to give (for Honda to make a profit) and its build quality.