Desparate Video Request of Sunroof Closing

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009 | 05:44 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

Angry Desparate Video Request of Sunroof Closing

Yep, sounds kind of odd, right? Well, here's the situation. I had to remove all of the sunroof sections in order to get the suede headliner complete, and after hours of battling to get the moonroof cover back in, I simply CANNOT seem to get the moonroof to close. I am having some type of interference I simply cannot seem to diagnose.

What I am asking for is as follows:

(1) Fully open the sunroof cover from the inside
(2) Fully open the sunroof
(3) Take a video of the sunroof closing from the TOP of the car (this will show me how the sunroof sequences when it raises

Need some $$$? Fine. I'll throw you a few bucks. I'm in some deep shit here.
Old 12-29-2009 | 05:47 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

Oh, and here's my contact info, you can send it here

Aeeengineer@hotmail.com
Old 12-29-2009 | 09:02 PM
Pro

So did you ever receive the request??
Old 12-29-2009 | 09:22 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

Haha, no, I wish. No biggie, my co-worker has a TL, I'll have to look on Monday. I got the suede headliner in (pics to come), but the section that covers the sunroof is out. I have no freakin clue what part of the re-install I am doing wrong, there's just one stupid thing I must be missing.
Old 12-29-2009 | 09:48 PM
Pro

well i can go out and record mine but just let me know
Old 12-30-2009 | 11:59 PM
The Panty Dropper

i had the exact same problem when i did my head liner. It would begin to close but then just re-open as if it hit something. I noticed that the additional fabric added to the sun roof slide piece made it just a little too tight slidding on the track and i guess added enough resistance to make it think it hit somehting...sat their for 5min sliding it back and forth as well as put a little greese on the track and it worked right away. Also check that when you bolted the sunroof track assembly back to the roof of the car everything lined up PERFECT b/c i also noticed that when the glass raised up to seal itself against the opening it was rubbing due to the fact that it was not allined perfectly...hope this helps
Old 12-31-2009 | 12:11 PM
Off roading in his

I can record a pic of mine also if you still need it.
Old 12-31-2009 | 04:08 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

Originally Posted by 05TLwdp
i had the exact same problem when i did my head liner. It would begin to close but then just re-open as if it hit something. I noticed that the additional fabric added to the sun roof slide piece made it just a little too tight slidding on the track and i guess added enough resistance to make it think it hit somehting...sat their for 5min sliding it back and forth as well as put a little greese on the track and it worked right away. Also check that when you bolted the sunroof track assembly back to the roof of the car everything lined up PERFECT b/c i also noticed that when the glass raised up to seal itself against the opening it was rubbing due to the fact that it was not allined perfectly...hope this helps
Dude, what a RELIEF to see another headliner modder chiming in here. Yeah, I am having the SAME problem. It gets stuck when it's about 80% closed, right before it raises.

I have eliminated the restriction on the sides, but I have not done a re-grease...do you think that the material in the front, where is sits in the clip, could be causing this?

Thanks for your response, I am really relieved I am not the only one whom is having/has had this problem!!!
Old 12-31-2009 | 04:09 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

Originally Posted by ZhenyaF
I can record a pic of mine also if you still need it.
Nah, I am just going to kind of curb this until Monday to see/measure a co-workers sunroof. Thanks, though, I sincerley appreciate the gesture.
Old 01-16-2010 | 11:56 AM
Fearless DIY Guy

BUMP

Anyone? I didn';t get a chance to see this yet.
Old 01-16-2010 | 12:21 PM
Drifting

It sounds like something is stuck in the track.

I had the exact same problem when I did mine. I had to remove the ENTIRE sunroof assembly from the vehicle to get the damn cover out so I could wrap it. When I reinstalled the assembly, it wouldnt close. After troubleshooting for a bit, I found the remnants of a pop rivet laying on the sunroof track. After I removed it, all was well.

Let us know what happened...
Old 01-16-2010 | 12:26 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

Thanks for the response, Trew. The sunroof closes about 80% of the way then encounters some type of interference. I have checked the track about 7 times now...the moonroof cover slides just fine, and the the glass closes just fine when the cover is removed. I am going to try removing the drain channel and reinstall, this is getting ridiculous.
Old 01-16-2010 | 12:44 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

[youtube]Gqok94dApwc[/youtube]
Old 01-16-2010 | 02:02 PM
Drifting

Shouldn't the glass slide BEFORE the cover? Try putting the cover on the other side of the bump stops.
Old 01-16-2010 | 02:30 PM
Ryan's loving his ATLP TL

Smile

Originally Posted by Trew
Shouldn't the glass slide BEFORE the cover? Try putting the cover on the other side of the bump stops.
VERY Good point. I am pretty sure the inside cover goes inward then the glass slides forward pushing the inside cover with it to the window edge. It makes sense just sounds weird.
Old 01-16-2010 | 02:31 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

AH-HA!!!! I have a feeling that was it!!!!

Let's give this another shot....
Old 01-16-2010 | 09:47 PM
Drifting

A little late, but what trew says is correct. Plus, you shouldnt be able to close the cover with the moonroof being open. Unless its in vent mode
Old 01-16-2010 | 11:53 PM
Safety Car

I agree. You can even see that in the video. The glass slams into the framing on the cover.
Old 01-17-2010 | 08:34 AM
Registered Member

+3 no way my cover will close with the roof open. def. goes behind it
Old 01-17-2010 | 09:12 AM
The Panty Dropper

im a little late but if you needed to know there is a peice of metal about 3inches wide but really thin that runs width ways across the rear of the sunroof assembly, so when the assembly moves that metal peice should catch thoes (2) raised bumps on the sunroof slide in turn moving it foward/backwards...then again im not 100% sure that that metal peice is int he rear..i did do this mod a wile ago haha, however it is the only peice of metal running width ways so you cant miss it...hope this helps
Old 01-17-2010 | 09:29 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

I hope the next update from DM is

DM are you an EE?
Old 01-18-2010 | 08:16 AM
Drifting

Where are you, man? Did it work or not?
Old 01-18-2010 | 09:43 AM
Fearless DIY Guy

Originally Posted by Majofo
I hope the next update from DM is

DM are you an EE?
ME TOO. I'm a ChE.

Originally Posted by Trew
Where are you, man? Did it work or not?
I did not get a chance to do this one yet. I am going to likely hit this up tonight, tomorrow at the latest. I am going to spend some time with my co-workers TL this afternoon to confirm positioning.

I am gonna be hella pissed if I have to take this damn headliner off again.
Old 01-18-2010 | 10:47 AM
Registered Member

I just went out to my car and looked. It seems you are going to be taking the head liner back down. The 2 bumps on the front of the cover don't quite touch the front of the sun roof those 2 just help tmove it back when opening. It looks to me that the problem is at the back of the sunroof seems like the cover is behind(past) the roof. when I open my roof the cover is about 2 inches away from the front edge of the sun roof
Old 01-18-2010 | 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by DeathMetal
ME TOO. I'm a ChE.

I did not get a chance to do this one yet. I am going to likely hit this up tonight, tomorrow at the latest. I am going to spend some time with my co-workers TL this afternoon to confirm positioning.

I am gonna be hella pissed if I have to take this damn headliner off again.
ChE .. I'm an EE
Old 01-18-2010 | 05:33 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

Originally Posted by Majofo
ChE .. I'm an EE
Please. I still think a Laplace Transform is the most devilish thing to have ever been created by man, kudos to you.

I FREAKIN' GOT IT!!!

...sort of. Brute force wins out. More to come tonight.

THANKS, GUYS!!!
Old 01-18-2010 | 06:26 PM

Please. I still think a Laplace Transform is the most devilish thing to have ever been created by man, kudos to you.

I FREAKIN' GOT IT!!!

...sort of. Brute force wins out. More to come tonight.

THANKS, GUYS!!!

I could do fourier & laplace transforms all day.. it's not like it would help getting me a job though, there's too many of us.. lol.
Old 01-19-2010 | 12:09 AM
Drifting

Congrats man.. I had the same problem when I redid the headliner in my old mk4 golf.. Forced it til it closed lol

So how are the list of mods going? You 50% done yet?
Old 01-19-2010 | 07:15 AM
Fearless DIY Guy

Originally Posted by bzyrice
Congrats man.. I had the same problem when I redid the headliner in my old mk4 golf.. Forced it til it closed lol
Well, here is what happened...after reading the posts in this thread and evaluating my co-workers sunroof it immediately became clear that the sunroof cover was to be positioned INSIDE the glass, not OUTSIDE, as see in my video. So it seemed as though a rather simple solution had surfaced, or at least simple in theory – smack the cover in to position. For those looking to do this mod, I want you to take note: removal occurs very easily by way of removing two coverplates in the drain channel of the roof…sliding it back in, to the best of what I now know, needs to be done with the headliner OFF. You will see two sections on your cover that extend up; the front is to automatically pull the cover back when the sunroof is open, the rear, for automatic close.

…so that leaves me with a question: do I take the headliner off? After all that work? After spending countless hours trying to get this damn thing back in? Do I lose MORE hours, as this infernal cover plays thief to other mods that need be done? Short and simple answer here is: no. There was one thing holding up an otherwise simple re-install, and that was the rear pusher plate of the cover. So I did the unthinkable, and amidst a cloud of frustration and rage I used my bare hands to snap the rear pusher section off. After a series of satisfying cracks and a few cuts from errant fiberglass strands, my foe lie dead and defeated, the cover forever marred from the event. Not 2 minutes later the saga drew to a close.

In terms of functionality and fit, the only thing this changes is that the sunroof cover does not automatically close. I think in my last car I had the sunroof open 4 times in 6 years of ownership, so this comes as of no adverse effect for me.

So how are the list of mods going? You 50% done yet?
Lord, no, haha. I am going to be churning out thread updates well up until the end of July, which completes about 80% of my mods. Most of my mods have been planned out, but the drop/wheel deal lies in the fate of a company bonus, which has yet to be finalized in spite of my team's smashing of all corporate KPIs.

I am going to start a thread much like your own in about a week (great idea, btw), I am in the process of finalizing my action plan for 2010 through 2012. Yeah, I'm a nerd.
Old 01-19-2010 | 09:03 AM

^ awesome.. glad you got her up & operational.
Old 01-19-2010 | 01:31 PM
Drifting

Well, here is what happened...after reading the posts in this thread and evaluating my co-workers sunroof it immediately became clear that the sunroof cover was to be positioned INSIDE the glass, not OUTSIDE, as see in my video. So it seemed as though a rather simple solution had surfaced, or at least simple in theory – smack the cover in to position. For those looking to do this mod, I want you to take note: removal occurs very easily by way of removing two coverplates in the drain channel of the roof…sliding it back in, to the best of what I now know, needs to be done with the headliner OFF. You will see two sections on your cover that extend up; the front is to automatically pull the cover back when the sunroof is open, the rear, for automatic close.

…so that leaves me with a question: do I take the headliner off? After all that work? After spending countless hours trying to get this damn thing back in? Do I lose MORE hours, as this infernal cover plays thief to other mods that need be done? Short and simple answer here is: no. There was one thing holding up an otherwise simple re-install, and that was the rear pusher plate of the cover. So I did the unthinkable, and amidst a cloud of frustration and rage I used my bare hands to snap the rear pusher section off. After a series of satisfying cracks and a few cuts from errant fiberglass strands, my foe lie dead and defeated, the cover forever marred from the event. Not 2 minutes later the saga drew to a close.

In terms of functionality and fit, the only thing this changes is that the sunroof cover does not automatically close. I think in my last car I had the sunroof open 4 times in 6 years of ownership, so this comes as of no adverse effect for me.
Haha... Mine did the same thing in my golf.. I need to find pics of that.. I did urban camo for that roof... my gf helped me try to put the cloth on.. I really suck at that.. lol .. glad you got it working!

Lord, no, haha. I am going to be churning out thread updates well up until the end of July, which completes about 80% of my mods. Most of my mods have been planned out, but the drop/wheel deal lies in the fate of a company bonus, which has yet to be finalized in spite of my team's smashing of all corporate KPIs.

I am going to start a thread much like your own in about a week (great idea, btw), I am in the process of finalizing my action plan for 2010 through 2012. Yeah, I'm a nerd.
Awesome!! I hope I dont miss your thread!! dang 2012?! NICE!! If my life wsa more stable right now.. I would probably be planning a few years in advanced too.. but not sure where I will be in a few months, sooo I can only plan ahead for about a month.