Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

delicate clutching required?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2004, 12:43 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
delicate clutching required?

I have been driving my new TL for a few weeks now, and I have had a bit of trouble working the clutch. At first, I thought I was simply rusty, not having driven a stick in 10 years.

I have the tendancy to depress the clutch all the way down, and I feel the foot travels a longer than normal distance back up before the clutch starts to engage. When it does engage, it engages very quickly. This makes it difficult to drive smoothly, especially if I want to shift quickly.

I have now learned not to clutch all the way to floormat, and release delicately to prevent lurching.

I went back to the dealership and test drove another 2004 TL last week, and the clutching was much easier and smoother, unlike my current car. However, when I brought it to the service manager, a tech went out with me. He insisted that's normal, and there is nothing wrong. So, they did nothing.

For those with 6 speed manual, what are your thoughts?
Old 01-21-2004, 01:18 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: delicate clutching required?

Originally posted by jtruman
I went back to the dealership and test drove another 2004 TL last week, and the clutching was much easier and smoother, unlike my current car. However, when I brought it to the service manager, a tech went out with me. He insisted that's normal, and there is nothing wrong. So, they did nothing.

For those with 6 speed manual, what are your thoughts?

I've been driving manual transmission for about 17 years now. Yes, TL's clutch was a bit tricky at first. Even salesperson told me that people who test drove complained about sensitive clutch.

However, I never thought that there was anything wrong with the clutch itself. As you already know, all cars feel different.

My previous car, '93 Legend Cp. 6 Speed was so easy to drive and forgiving, I lost that finesse. Maybe it was easy because at 160,000 miles I was stilll on my original clutch on that car. Hope my new TL's clutch will last just as long...
Old 01-21-2004, 01:44 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I guess my surprise really came from the 2 test drives I had, one before and one after I purchased my current car. Both times the dealer's car felt much easier compared to the TL I bought...

Maybe they hand picked the smooth driving cars for demo?
Old 01-21-2004, 04:27 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by jtruman
I guess my surprise really came from the 2 test drives I had, one before and one after I purchased my current car. Both times the dealer's car felt much easier compared to the TL I bought...

Maybe they hand picked the smooth driving cars for demo?
Hmm... I test drove another TL before purchasing it myself, and I thought they felt pretty much the same. I do agree with you that the clutch engages rather quickly. I try to rev the engine between 1500 to 2000 rpm before engaging it. This allows me to start the car smoothly. With my Legend, I could've started at below 1500 rpm with no problem. Once I get the car is rolling, it's smooth sailing from there.

Give it few more weeks. If it still doesn't feel right, take it back and have them drive both your car and a new one in the lot. I know sometimes having dealer service your car can be harder than pulling teeth. Best of luck to ya...
Old 01-21-2004, 06:13 AM
Racer

A few reviews I've read have mentioned that the clutch is tricky in first gear. The same was noted in last year's 6-speed CL. My friend drove one of those and refused to buy ity because it bothered him so much.

I didn't really notice it when I test drove the new TL, but I was making extra sure to drive it smoothly with the salesperson in the car.
Old 01-21-2004, 06:26 AM
Intermediate

I agree the clutch is a little touchy engaging in first. It works very well if you go slowly and don't get ahead of yourself. as a manual driver my whole life, I agree with dtchung, give your self some time. all new cars take a while to get used to, and the clutch will "loosen" a bit over time.
Old 01-21-2004, 12:12 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Give it a couple of K miles. I'm at 6000 and the clutch is perfect. At first I had the same problems. I either got used to it or the jerkiness has improved, probably a little of both.