Sponsored by:

Deck Lid Trunk Holes

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2005, 11:02 PM
goodbye RL for now...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Deck Lid Trunk Holes

So get this...

I drive my car up 1.2 hrs North to the same Acura dealership that I bought my vehicle at only 2 weeks prior. My salesman scheduled an install for my deck lid spoiler at 12:00 today (Sat) and I even verified it with him the on Friday. I call him today, he's not in. I get to the dealership and still he wasn't sceduled to work. That's retarded. Now, I speak to Service Advisor and he sets me up with the work that need to be done. I am suppose to have a deck lid installed per the sale of my vehicle. I get my loaner car and leave. I also get a loaner car with the gas gauge near the Fuel Icon which lights up after I leave the dealership.

I get a call about 1 hr later telling me that they drilled holes in my trunk and then pulled out the spoiler and found out it was the wrong color and that I shouldn't take delivery with holes in my trunk. <-- obviously I wouldn't take the vehicle with only a half ass install. I asked him why there are holes for a decklid which usually just requires double stick tape. He paused and didn't say anything on the telephone for about 3 minutes. He then acknowledged that there are no holes for a deck lid spoiler. Oddly, he responds, you don't want a wing? I'm like the Work Order says Deck Lid. I don't want a wing. I want a silver deck lid spoiler. He pauses again, and says we'll see what we can do. Then he changes his story saying that there are holes needed and double stick tape for a deck lid.

I've installed deck lid spoilers before and I have not heard of once before about a deck lid spoiler needing to be drilled in.

What do you guys think? I have unnecessary holes in my trunk, am stuck with a RSX till Tuesday if they do even get a deck lid spoiler in by then. This is ridiculous!!! I need to write Acura of America and or the dealership manager. I'm so furious.
Old 04-16-2005, 11:16 PM
Administrator

Received 1,013 Likes on 577 Posts
Mounting bolts are used for both the Acura accessory deck lid spoiler and wing spoiler.

Aftermarket spoilers sometimes do not use mounting bolts.

Click here for the installation instructions for both original equipment Acura spoilers, showing the mounting bolts.
Old 04-16-2005, 11:22 PM
I6

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Acura OEM deck lid spoiler does require to drill holes for the installation.
Old 04-16-2005, 11:28 PM
goodbye RL for now...

Thanks guys. Goes to show how much I know about this "japanese" vehicle. I know that the German vehicles such as MBs and BMW don't use bolts. Just double stick tape. I appreciate it though everyone.

One question though. Are the holes for either spoiler at the same point? Because I have holes drilled for the wing in which I prefer the deck lid spoiler.
Old 04-17-2005, 12:00 AM
Administrator

They are in different places and won't match up.

If you want the other spoiler badly enough, you could check and see if it will cover the holes so they don't show. If it does, you could cap and seal the old holes so they don't leak and install the new spoiler over that.

Check with the dealer. If they have installed these, they may have the templates laying around so you could measure where the holes actually are drilled in the deck lid.
Old 04-17-2005, 12:22 AM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
Ron, you're usually right on but I don't think so this time. If you want the decklid spoiler, and they drilled holes for the wing, then they owe you a new (not repaired) decklid with a properly installed decklid spoiler.

Mike
Old 04-17-2005, 12:41 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by svtmike
Ron, you're usually right on but I don't think so this time. If you want the decklid spoiler, and they drilled holes for the wing, then they owe you a new (not repaired) decklid with a properly installed decklid spoiler.

Mike
Right you are. I misread it to mean I thought he changed his mind, but then I read it again and understood what you are saying.

They should take a decklid off of another car, put the decklid spoiler on it, and install it on his car, and then install the wing spoiler on the decklid with the holes drill for it and put that back on the other car.

It's way past my bedtime, so I hope I get this right this time.
Old 04-17-2005, 12:54 AM
.:KCCO:.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrael
Thanks guys. Goes to show how much I know about this "japanese" vehicle. I know that the German vehicles such as MBs and BMW don't use bolts. Just double stick tape. I appreciate it though everyone.

One question though. Are the holes for either spoiler at the same point? Because I have holes drilled for the wing in which I prefer the deck lid spoiler.
MAN! that is pretty jacked up. talk about bad Acura service. I think this is something that you need to speak to a GM about. not sure what he can do for you, but they sure as hell better know that BS like that is going on.
Old 04-18-2005, 06:23 PM
Racer

But, the VIN sticker on the trunk lid wouldn't match. I assume they can order a new sticker or whatever to make it all 'legit'. I would for sure demand a new trunk if they misdrilled the holes.

Originally Posted by Ron A
They should take a decklid off of another car, put the decklid spoiler on it, and install it on his car, and then install the wing spoiler on the decklid with the holes drill for it and put that back on the other car.
Old 04-18-2005, 07:00 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by jcondon
But, the VIN sticker on the trunk lid wouldn't match. I assume they can order a new sticker or whatever to make it all 'legit'. I would for sure demand a new trunk if they misdrilled the holes.
I don't think they can order a new sticker, but a dealer repair order showing the swap and noting both the old VIN code and the new VIN code would probably work. Shops replace parts with VIN stickers all the time. Of course, brand new parts don't have a VIN sticker, but the R/O should explain the difference in VIN numbers on the sticker.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:10 PM
goodbye RL for now...

I hope that I can get this resolved. I will be expecting a phone call tomorrow. Who should I address the letter to? Do you think if I just address it to the "GM" he or she would actually get it? To top that off, I don't want to be black balled at the "stealership."
Old 04-19-2005, 05:09 AM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrael
I hope that I can get this resolved. I will be expecting a phone call tomorrow. Who should I address the letter to? Do you think if I just address it to the "GM" he or she would actually get it? To top that off, I don't want to be black balled at the "stealership."
Ask the receptionist at the dealership for the name of the General Manager, and address it to him personally. Give the service dept a chance to describe how they are going to make good, and if you're not happy with their plans then escalate to the GM.

Mike
Old 04-20-2005, 12:28 AM
goodbye RL for now...

Got some good news. The issue was resolved with them changing out my trunk lid with another new vehicle. I also got the spoiler that I wanted (deck lid) and the car is ready for pick up. But, when I spoke to the advisor, there was no direct apology except for the remarks that it happens from time to time.

I guess I'm content. Shouldn't I get a free toy or some sorts for going through this trouble. I mean, their name sake is at hand! :-) j/k
Old 04-20-2005, 08:39 AM
Previous Owner

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
well for shits and giggles, you get the option that the decklid spoiler may lose its hold with the glue that they use. Yes no double sided tape. The left side of my decklid spoiler could be lifted up by hand after about a year.

I went back and they reinstalled a brand new decklid spoiler on it because it also had paint bubbles.

good to hear that it's working out for you.
Old 04-20-2005, 10:13 AM
Administrator

Don't forget, the installations instructions say to check the bolts periodically, and tighten if necessary.