Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deck Lid Spoiler adhesive

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 10:36 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Deck Lid Spoiler adhesive

I purchased an OEM spoiler and had it installed at a shop close to my house. After about three weeks it seems like the adhesive on one side of the spoiler is not sticking anymore. Is this an issue with the shop or is this an issue with the spoiler adhesive, which is covered by the 1 year warranty. Just wondering what you guys think or if anyone had experienced this.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Old 08-23-2004, 10:43 AM
Administrator

Received 1,016 Likes on 577 Posts
See this thread http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91255 last posted to only 3 days ago, for more info
Old 08-23-2004, 10:47 AM
Instructor

Haha. I just posted this topic this past weekend. What you can do is try to clean between the adhesive and your spoiler on a HOT day. You want to wipe off anything on the surface of the trunk, but dont touch the adhesive section with the clothe or whatever you are using since you dont want to dull the stickiness. Then once you have a clean surface press it back down and follow the lining of the adhesive and press down for about 5 seconds in different areas. It should be sticking and only time will tell if the bond is good enough. If it comes loose again then you have to take further actions.

Please note that there are 2 bolts that hold this deck lid spoiler down in the center, and the adhesive on the sides. You may want to open the trunk trim and check for these to see if they have been tighted or loose and that may be the culprit to the popping back up of the spoiler.

If you checked both of these you can
A- Take it back to the Dealer
B- Buy Trim Adhesive and apply that.

I myself am only on the fist paragraph and so far so good - its been 2 days now and no gap or popping up of the side.

Good Luck!
Old 08-23-2004, 12:55 PM
Intermediate

Thanks for the advice. Will the dealer look at the spoiler if they did not do the installation?
Old 08-24-2004, 11:19 AM
5th Gear

I am getting the under body molding and wanted to get a spoiler , until I saw what Acura was offering. The deck lid spoiler is just not enough for accent the rear and the rear spoiler just doesn't look right or blend in with the design. Anyone know if places make custom spoilers? I know it may be too much to want to get, but I'm not big on Acura's spoilers for the TL
Old 08-24-2004, 11:30 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Does anyone know if the bolts are near the edges or near the center of the spoiler?

Originally Posted by dlouly47
Haha. I just posted this topic this past weekend. What you can do is try to clean between the adhesive and your spoiler on a HOT day. You want to wipe off anything on the surface of the trunk, but dont touch the adhesive section with the clothe or whatever you are using since you dont want to dull the stickiness. Then once you have a clean surface press it back down and follow the lining of the adhesive and press down for about 5 seconds in different areas. It should be sticking and only time will tell if the bond is good enough. If it comes loose again then you have to take further actions.

Please note that there are 2 bolts that hold this deck lid spoiler down in the center, and the adhesive on the sides. You may want to open the trunk trim and check for these to see if they have been tighted or loose and that may be the culprit to the popping back up of the spoiler.

If you checked both of these you can
A- Take it back to the Dealer
B- Buy Trim Adhesive and apply that.

I myself am only on the fist paragraph and so far so good - its been 2 days now and no gap or popping up of the side.

Good Luck!
Old 08-25-2004, 12:23 AM
Instructor

The are in the mid center.

Deck Lid Spoiler
__________________________________________________ _______________
/__________________________________________________ _______________\
|....................................||........... .................|A|......................||...... ............................|
|................................Bolt............. ..........Symbol......................Bolt........ ......................|
|................................................. .................................................. ..............................|

Ah.. You get the idea.. the |A| is the acura logo.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:25 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by TBone2004
Does anyone know if the bolts are near the edges or near the center of the spoiler?
You can go here for the installation instructions, which will show the location of the bolts in the wing spoiler and deck lid spoiler http://www.handa-accessories.com/tl.html
Old 08-25-2004, 12:46 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Ron A
You can go here for the installation instructions, which will show the location of the bolts in the wing spoiler and deck lid spoiler http://www.handa-accessories.com/tl.html
Where do they get genuine OEM accessories to sell themselves? Does Honda/Acura actually wholesale this stuff??
Old 08-25-2004, 01:09 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by EMF213
Where do they get genuine OEM accessories to sell themselves? Does Honda/Acura actually wholesale this stuff??
Click on the link, then click on "Company Information", and you will see that they are an authorized Honda dealer.

They buy from Honda just like any other dealer, but rely on volume sales to make up for less profit.