Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DEATH to pinstripes!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 08:55 AM
Mud Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question DEATH to pinstripes!!!

Hey guys, Just got my Black on Black 06 6M Navi TL a few weeks ago. Here is my question. The dealer I got it from, the owner has a hard on for pinstriping. He pin stripes ever single Acura on the lot, no matter what model. Anyways, The sales guy told me that the way they pin stripe them, it is real easy to remove your self. He said it peals right off with out even have to heat it up with a hair dryer or anything. I want the stripe gone!! Im just really scared about leaving some ugly visable marks on my car after I remove the stripes. Will there be some nasty glue residue left on there? If anyone is knowlegable about pinstriping could you please respond. thanks in advance, BEN
Old 02-03-2006, 09:03 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Personally, I would've made them remove it (like I made them remove their sticker on the trunk advertising the dealership). Yes, it comes off easily and you can do it yourself, but I'd say take it back and make them do it.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:05 AM
Intermediate

If it were me? I'd make them do it. I wouldn't even take delivery of the car until that crap was gone.

The people at the Honda dealer where we bought my wife's car from looked at me like I was crazy when I told them I wanted a different car without their huge-ass sticker on the rear end of the car, and that the deal was off if they couldn't provide it.

I would seriously bring the car back to them and tell them that you don't want it and that they need to remove it or provide you a pinstripe-free car.

What a load that is.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:19 AM
Aaaarrrggghhhh!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JimF_NJ
If it were me? I'd make them do it. I wouldn't even take delivery of the car until that crap was gone.

What a load that is.
I completely agree with you. I've done that with every car I've ever bought when the dealer sticks their dealership stickers on the back of the trunk.. I want a "clean" looking car, not a rolling advertisement for the dealership.

The TL was the first car I've bought where the dealer didn't put any stickers on it at all. First time I didn't have to tell them to remove the stickers.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:21 AM
Intermediate

I had the dealer remove mine before I would pick it up.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:26 AM
Cold Racketeer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
what state do you live in where it's assumed every buyer wants pinstripes?
Old 02-03-2006, 09:39 AM
Mud Man

Originally Posted by tzakiel
what state do you live in where it's assumed every buyer wants pinstripes?
New Mexico. Its sad really, that dealership is the only Acura dealership in the entire state of New Mexico. The owner is so pin stripe happy, he even pinstripes every trade in car that is brought in also. I traded in my 350Z and I told the sales ,man please please dont ruin that beautiful car with a pinstripe. My car also came with a rear spoiler which I thought was hideous. They were cool on that though and took off my trunk and exchanged it with another trunk from a balck 06 that was delivered with my car. Ok, as far as taking it back to the dealer that is not an option, Im not going to drive 6 hours round trip to get a stripe removed. So that brings me back to my original question, Any one with real knowlege of pinstripes, Will this be easy to do my self and leave no funky paint miscolored glue crap on my black paint? thanks again for the folks that are responding. Cheers, BEN
Old 02-03-2006, 09:42 AM
321 whp SAE

Originally Posted by bstansbu
New Mexico. Its sad really, that dealership is the only Acura dealership in the entire state of New Mexico. The owner is so pin stripe happy, he even pinstripes every trade in car that is brought in also. I traded in my 350Z and I told the sales ,man please please dont ruin that beautiful car with a pinstripe. My car also came with a rear spoiler which I thought was hideous. They were cool on that though and took off my trunk and exchanged it with another trunk from a balck 06 that was delivered with my car. Ok, as far as taking it back to the dealer that is not an option, Im not going to drive 6 hours round trip to get a stripe removed. So that brings me back to my original question, Any one with real knowlege of pinstripes, Will this be easy to do my self and leave no funky paint miscolored glue crap on my black paint? thanks again for the folks that are responding. Cheers, BEN
question, is the pinstripe painted or a sticker? i had a painted pinstripe on my black tl when i bought it, and it comes off easy with nail polish remover.. like magic.. let me know
Old 02-03-2006, 09:50 AM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
Nothing on my car, but I noticed that the dealer engraved their dealership and number on the back of my key chain
Old 02-03-2006, 09:50 AM
Skeet Skeet Skeet

Originally Posted by bklynpanman
question, is the pinstripe painted or a sticker? i had a painted pinstripe on my black tl when i bought it, and it comes off easy with nail polish remover.. like magic.. let me know
more than likely its sticker and you will have to wax or buff the car after it is removed so the marks dont show
Old 02-03-2006, 10:32 AM
Administrator

Received 1,003 Likes on 573 Posts
I took off my pin stripes after I got the car. It is really easy to remove them, but time consuming.

I used my fingernail (some purists will say you can scratch the paint doing this but I must have smooth fingernails because I have never had a problem) and peel up the stripe. The stripe is so thin you can only pull up a little at a time before it breaks, but with care you can get a longer strip before it breaks and you have to start again.

There will be no marks because on a new car the sun hasn't had time to have any effect on the paint.

When you are done, use some goo-gone or bug remover if there is any residue, and then wax it well. Try the wax first, because there is usually so little residue that the wax will remove it.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:31 PM
Mud Man

Originally Posted by Ron A
I took off my pin stripes after I got the car. It is really easy to remove them, but time consuming.

I used my fingernail (some purists will say you can scratch the paint doing this but I must have smooth fingernails because I have never had a problem) and peel up the stripe. The stripe is so thin you can only pull up a little at a time before it breaks, but with care you can get a longer strip before it breaks and you have to start again.

There will be no marks because on a new car the sun hasn't had time to have any effect on the paint.

When you are done, use some goo-gone or bug remover if there is any residue, and then wax it well. Try the wax first, because there is usually so little residue that the wax will remove it.
Thanks Ron and others for your advice!! I will try that as soon as I get home from work in 2 weeks. Im also scheduled for a window tint as soon as I get home. Im going 20% all the way around. You think that will look good on a black car? I was going to go 5% even though its illegal but I might have been talked into going legal 20%. Is it true taht our cars come with a light tint from the factory already?
BEN
Old 02-03-2006, 02:00 PM
Racer

that's fuckin hilarious! so weird!!
Old 02-03-2006, 03:36 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
All I can advise you is GET IT OFF AS SOON AS POSSIBLE! Leaving it will only increase the chance you will get a residual ghost in the paint....even that will fade in less than two weeks with a little wax, if it happens. Just get the damn things off asap! They'll peel right off and leave little if any sticky goo to deal with.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:03 PM
Cruisin'

gum wheels and body shops

If it leaves a residue when you take it off, ask a local body shop to give you a hand. They generally have a gum rubber wheel which will take the residue right off.
Old 02-03-2006, 07:08 PM
Mud Man

Awesome!! Thanks again guys. It has only 400 miles on her now and has been sitting in the garage for 3 weeks, so Im guessing there is no fade yet. I will take it off the second I get home. BEN
Old 02-03-2006, 10:39 PM
I'm Baaack!

take a heat gun or hair dryer to it .. if you heat up the stripe it'll open up the adhesive and make it easier to take off, then goo gone, clay, polish and a good synthetic glaze.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:27 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
do you have any pics? im kinda curious as to what it might look like
Old 02-04-2006, 08:02 AM
Mud Man

Originally Posted by NFLblitze1
do you have any pics? im kinda curious as to what it might look like
I have a great picture of how gay it looks but I dont know how to post pics here. Send me your email address and I will send a pic to you. No, I can not use any image hosting sites to link my pics to. Im at work in the Caspian and BP has massive firewalls that block acess to those sites for some reason. BEN
Old 02-04-2006, 09:16 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
pinstripes are kind of yesterdays news....cant even imaging what they would do to the side view of the 3G TL.....tragic! Seems like it would break it up too much?
Old 02-04-2006, 08:29 PM
05WDP Midlife crisis

Pinstripes!!!!!
Are we back in the 90's??? Lucky you didn't order a Z28, it would come with a gold chain!
Old 02-04-2006, 09:15 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by MichaelBenz
All I can advise you is GET IT OFF AS SOON AS POSSIBLE! Leaving it will only increase the chance you will get a residual ghost in the paint....even that will fade in less than two weeks with a little wax, if it happens. Just get the damn things off asap! They'll peel right off and leave little if any sticky goo to deal with.
Second that...ASAP. My friend had a 1993 Toyota Pickup with the weird graphics on the side. One day we decided to remove them...paint fade was obvious and it didnt look right. Let it sit in the sun and then use a hairdryer or something else to get a little more heat on them, then take them off. Give it a good wash and wax afterwards.
Old 02-04-2006, 10:33 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

I have a great picture of how gay it looks but I dont know how to post pics here. Send me your email address and I will send a pic to you. No, I can not use any image hosting sites to link my pics to. Im at work in the Caspian and BP has massive firewalls that block acess to those sites for some reason. BEN
my e-mail is NFLblitze1@msn.com.... i can post it for u....but it would be a lot easier to just post it using IMAGESHACK.us or PHOTOBUCKET.com
Old 02-04-2006, 11:11 PM
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts
get at blitz PRONTO. i have GOT to see a pinstriped TL
Old 02-05-2006, 01:50 AM
Intermediate

Living in New Mexico, I've bought three cars from that same dealership. Yes they do pinstripe every car that comes into inventory to sit on the lot. But the truth is that the vast majority of the cars they sell never make it to the lot. They're bought off the allocation list--like all three of mine were. Buying that way gets you exactly what you want and only what you want. The caveat is that you may have to wait a few weeks. I waited three months for my MDX.

But not all buyers are patient, and they know that. And it's made obvious when you're willing to buy off the lot from such a dealer. They've got you, and you're going to end up paying for something you don't want. So they may as well check off most of the accessories list. And every extra penny is profit for them. That's the business.

When I look at a window sticker, I ignore all add-ons, and I make it clear that if I buy, my car is coming right off the truck. It works.

Besides that, I'm familiar with the pinstripe they use--standard Acura stuff. Since I'm assuming your car is near new and since we haven't had any hot sun lately, there's no damage to be done. Just peel it off and buff off the residue by hand with a good wax or polish--really good quality, especially for the black paint. It won't really be a big deal.
Old 02-05-2006, 08:16 AM
Mud Man

Originally Posted by 6MTPlease
Living in New Mexico, I've bought three cars from that same dealership. Yes they do pinstripe every car that comes into inventory to sit on the lot. But the truth is that the vast majority of the cars they sell never make it to the lot. They're bought off the allocation list--like all three of mine were. Buying that way gets you exactly what you want and only what you want. The caveat is that you may have to wait a few weeks. I waited three months for my MDX.

But not all buyers are patient, and they know that. And it's made obvious when you're willing to buy off the lot from such a dealer. They've got you, and you're going to end up paying for something you don't want. So they may as well check off most of the accessories list. And every extra penny is profit for them. That's the business.

When I look at a window sticker, I ignore all add-ons, and I make it clear that if I buy, my car is coming right off the truck. It works.

Besides that, I'm familiar with the pinstripe they use--standard Acura stuff. Since I'm assuming your car is near new and since we haven't had any hot sun lately, there's no damage to be done. Just peel it off and buff off the residue by hand with a good wax or polish--really good quality, especially for the black paint. It won't really be a big deal.
Yep, Its got an acura logo on the pic stripe real small. Ugly stuff. Anyways, I sent some pics to NFLblitz guy, Hopefully he will upload them to this thread for me. As sated before, Ima t work and have been here for 3 weeks, we have a firewall in place that wont allow me to visit image shack or any other image transfer web sites. blahhhhh. BEN
Old 02-05-2006, 10:46 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

i don't know what was going through this guys head...he does it to EVERY CAR??!?!?!
Old 02-06-2006, 01:31 AM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
^- clean car, get those pinstripes off!
Old 02-06-2006, 04:37 PM
Instructor

wow that looks so out of place
Old 02-06-2006, 05:30 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Remove strips
Clay bar
Apply a good wax, you should be fine.......Pin strips are SO outdated !
Old 02-06-2006, 08:39 PM
05WDP Midlife crisis

Shades of some bonehead manger reading an advertisement stating "Pinstripes =profits"!! Yes you too can subsidize your summer vacation home with trendy pin striping!!!
Old 02-15-2006, 05:04 PM
Mud Man

Thanks guys. Out come GOOD!! 1 hour, hairdryer, googone, and coat of Zainos. Perfect.
Old 02-15-2006, 05:27 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
show us the results !