Dealership wrecked my car.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008 | 09:31 AM
I need more money

Angry Dealership wrecked my car.

So here's the full story,

I dropped my car off at the dealership to get the two recalls completed. When I went to go pick up the car I was standing in the breeze way looking at how clean it was just totally admiring it. They summoned some 60 year old guy to go bring my car around. So he got in the car started it and started to adjust the seat and mirrors ect. NOTE: The car was backed into the front spot with about 5 feet of room behind it. Then he put it in reverse, started to idol backwards then tapped on the gas and my rear bumper ran into a RSX. I watched the whole flipping ordeal happen while yelling at the guy to stop.

I lost it and just started yelling "SHI*! I've only owned this car for 10 days." Then the whole service dept was checking out what happened.

They pulled it around and got out and looked at it. The first guy, a regular mechanic, rubbed the bumper and was like oh there's nothing wrong, so I ran over and took a look my self. (Side note, totally heard something crack when the accident happened) Before I could get down to look at it the head Service guy said "Nope there's a very small ding with a hairline crack."

So I had to take the car back in this morning and there going to replace the whole bumper. So I started to think how I could get something free from the dealership but nothing really came to mind. I was thinking oil change, new floor mats, or new Navi DVD. When I dropped it off and signed the paper work, I realized there going to run my 50k check up. Not a bad deal, just sucks that it happened.
Old 05-19-2008 | 09:34 AM
Senior Moderator

Ouch! Sounds like they are taking car of the bumper though. Was the guy fired?
Old 05-19-2008 | 09:38 AM
How may I help you.....?

I hate dealerships for reasons just like this one.... At least they are taking care of you...

fuckers...
Old 05-19-2008 | 09:39 AM
I need more money

Nope, saw him there this morning. Almost made a smart allic remark, but I held it in. The dealership offered to pick it up this morning and leave me the loaner, but their driving record in my book isn't great right now.
Old 05-19-2008 | 09:41 AM
Too Fast TOO FURIOUS

Old 05-19-2008 | 09:41 AM
AZ Community Team

You might get a little consideration.

Hendrick Service doesn't seem *too* bad. They've done good work on both my '02 TL-S and '07 TL-S. Parts prices are a bit over retail and the labor rate is $96/hr, but cost on an Oil Change is about what I'd pay at a regional chain. And, like I said, the quality of work has been good.

Some things to shoot for:

- CF trim kit
- Free Oil Changes
- A-Spec Front Lip
- Trunk Tray and Wheel Lock (if you don't already have 'em)
- Free Detail
- etc

Something with a value of, say, $200 - $300.

Make the case that it's an inconvience to you and your time is worth something. About how you entrusted them with your car and how you're not sure if you'll be able to do so in the future.

BE NICE. Firm, but VERY polite.

See what happens. Worst they can do is say, "no" and fix it up like it was.
Old 05-19-2008 | 09:42 AM
Instructor

that sucks sorry man... i take mine in for the recalls on thursday but i can't sit there and watch gotta work so i'm leaving it for the whole day
Old 05-19-2008 | 09:45 AM
I need more money

Originally Posted by tlpinoy505
that sucks sorry man... i take mine in for the recalls on thursday but i can't sit there and watch gotta work so i'm leaving it for the whole day
The recals take like 3 hours to complete!
Old 05-19-2008 | 10:56 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by wneichorn
They summoned some 60 year old guy to go bring my car around.
Curious about the 60 year old drivers age issue.

Did the guy crash your car because he was 60 or because he sucked as a driver?
Old 05-19-2008 | 10:58 AM
Study

What two recalls, thought it was only the wiper thing?
Old 05-19-2008 | 11:03 AM
Suzuka Master

Nope, saw him there this morning. Almost made a smart allic remark, but I held it in. The dealership offered to pick it up this morning and leave me the loaner, but their driving record in my book isn't great right now.
Good. I'm glad you were only a self-righteous dickhead in your mind.

Accidents happen. They're making things right. Get over it.
Old 05-19-2008 | 11:06 AM
Stealthy A-CL Member

Originally Posted by LoveMyTL-S
Ouch! Sounds like they are taking car of the bumper though. Was the guy fired?
No need for anyone to lose a job over this... accidents happen, that's why the dealer has garage insurance... The more important part is how the dealer handles the situation and makes it right by the OP.
Old 05-19-2008 | 11:11 AM
Full of water...

Originally Posted by GIXXERDK
What two recalls, thought it was only the wiper thing?

power steering hose
Old 05-19-2008 | 11:15 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by IntegraVT
No need for anyone to lose a job over this... accidents happen, that's why the dealer has garage insurance... The more important part is how the dealer handles the situation and makes it right by the OP.
True, I have to agree with you there. I was just curious.
Old 05-19-2008 | 11:25 AM
Looking for new mods

Don't let the dealer detail your car.. Mine has been in and out for the 4th week in row because they induce hologram swirls.... they finally gave me a loaner (2008 TSX piece of crap), and they don't know how to correct it. They taking long to fix the problem, they scaring me .. and threads like this dont help.
Old 05-19-2008 | 11:26 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by IntegraVT

x2
Old 05-19-2008 | 11:47 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by jguerra23
Don't let the dealer detail your car.. Mine has been in and out for the 4th week in row because they induce hologram swirls.... they finally gave me a loaner (2008 TSX piece of crap), and they don't know how to correct it. They taking long to fix the problem, they scaring me .. and threads like this dont help.

Right.

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
You might get a little consideration.

Some things to shoot for:

- Free Detail (if you trust them to do it properly)

Fixed.
Old 05-19-2008 | 12:26 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

dude I'd so tell them to put on a rear aspec lip for the inconvenience
Old 05-19-2008 | 12:38 PM
I need more money

Yea thanks for all the concern and comments fellas.

Most of you all are correct, no need for anyone to lose thier job, accidents do happen.

Bearcat's earlier post is correct Hendrick is known for their quality so I'm sure they are trying to do everything in their power to make things right and keep a customer.

I'll keep you posted. I did find a super tiny spot on my current bumper to see if they replace it or attempt to fix the crack. Mean while I'm rolling in an 07 MDX.
Old 05-19-2008 | 12:53 PM
Instructor

I dropped my car off at the dealership to get the two recalls completed. When I went to go pick up the car I was standing in the breeze way looking at how clean it was just totally admiring it. They summoned some 60 year old guy to go bring my car around. So he got in the car started it and started to adjust the seat and mirrors ect. NOTE: The car was backed into the front spot with about 5 feet of room behind it. Then he put it in reverse, started to idol backwards then tapped on the gas and my rear bumper ran into a RSX. I watched the whole flipping ordeal happen while yelling at the guy to stop.

I lost it and just started yelling "SHI*! I've only owned this car for 10 days." Then the whole service dept was checking out what happened.

They pulled it around and got out and looked at it. The first guy, a regular mechanic, rubbed the bumper and was like oh there's nothing wrong, so I ran over and took a look my self. (Side note, totally heard something crack when the accident happened) Before I could get down to look at it the head Service guy said "Nope there's a very small ding with a hairline crack."

So I had to take the car back in this morning and there going to replace the whole bumper. So I started to think how I could get something free from the dealership but nothing really came to mind. I was thinking oil change, new floor mats, or new Navi DVD. When I dropped it off and signed the paper work, I realized there going to run my 50k check up. Not a bad deal, just sucks that it happened.

Was this at Acura on Independence?
Old 05-19-2008 | 12:56 PM
I need more money

Yep.
Old 05-19-2008 | 01:33 PM
Instructor

Not to be rude, but you need to read the definition of wrecked. Your car wasn't.
Old 05-19-2008 | 02:50 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by thrlride
Was this at Acura on Independence?

There is no other; It's the ONLY game in town.
Old 05-19-2008 | 02:58 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

if you were standing right there, why not just get the car yourself?

Small point, but there isn't realy a point in adjusting your mirrors if you're just bringing a car around.

If the car was BACKED into the spot, wouldn't you put it into DRIVE to get out of the spot?

Just seems this whole thing could've been easily avoided through common sense.

Sucks, but at least you get something out of it.
Old 05-19-2008 | 03:07 PM
Senior Moderator

My dealer does the same thing even if the car is parked in a spot. They get a porter to drive it up to me w/ the a/c on and ready to go. When he gets out, he takes the plastic off the seat and puts a thank you card on the passenger seat. I find it nice that they do that but not necessary.
Old 05-19-2008 | 03:12 PM
I need more money

Originally Posted by ggesq
My dealer does the same thing even if the car is parked in a spot. They get a porter to drive it up to me w/ the a/c on and ready to go. When he gets out, he takes the plastic off the seat and puts a thank you card on the passenger seat. I find it nice that they do that but not necessary.
Indeed, its the Acura Touch.
Old 05-19-2008 | 03:16 PM
AZ Community Team

^^

Very similar at Hendrick. It's a way of them trying to be courteous/provide a courtesy.

And honestly, better that they crack your bumper on that RDX than *you* crack your bumper on *their* RDX.

Stuff happens. Really hope the OP get a little spiff.

'07 MDX as a loaner ain't all bad. All I've got was TSX's.

BTW - OP, keep an eye on this thred from time-to-time. Lot of good people in the area.

https://acurazine.com/forums/southeast-318/%2A%2A-official-charlotte-area-chat-thread-%2A%2A-383653/#post5978307
Old 05-19-2008 | 03:18 PM
Instructor

My guy told me the car had 12 miles on it and it actually had 212. He also promised me the car, a Type S, would have the high performance tires and it actually had the all weather tires...

They were going to give me the CF trim kit and I told the guy that I wanted the A-Spec suspension. He caved and my Type S is now an A-Spec type S at no cost to me!!!

Milk it for all it's worth
Old 05-19-2008 | 04:35 PM
Race Director

I have always liked Hendrick and it sounds like they are doing the right thing. Besides now you can put all those miles on the loaner instead of your car. Hopefully you will get a bonus out of all this.
Old 05-19-2008 | 06:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

may i ask what is the two recalls?
Old 05-19-2008 | 06:05 PM
I need more money

Power Stearing Pump and Wiper blade motor?
Old 05-19-2008 | 06:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

how did you know about the recalls, did they send you a letter?
Old 05-19-2008 | 07:10 PM
I need more money

Nope, lil personal research. Acura said they were going to be shipping out letters again in the 3rd Quarter.
Old 05-19-2008 | 07:23 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by anx1300c
Good. I'm glad you were only a self-righteous dickhead in your mind.

Accidents happen. They're making things right. Get over it.

D
Old 05-20-2008 | 03:20 PM
I need more money

UPDATE: I just received a call from the dealership, I was to suppose to receive my car back tomorrow but the quality assurance guy just called and said it didnt pass his inspection. So there going to try to re-finish it again. Should get it back now on Friday.

Pretty cool that they're not just tossing it to the side and shoving it out the door.
Old 05-20-2008 | 03:46 PM
Instructor

I hate to sound negative, But that to me it means they do shitty work. When you have to repair/refinish the SAME area over & over again...it doesn't get better.
Old 05-20-2008 | 04:23 PM
aw1
Pro

Originally Posted by THTL
how did you know about the recalls, did they send you a letter?

you can also check with acura owners link.
Old 05-23-2008 | 10:23 AM
2nd Gear

Lets Be Real About This Whole Thing With The Rear Bumper Issue. This Kind Of Thing Happens At Every Dealership In The Country Everyday.at Least Yours Happened At A Dealer That Truley Does Put The Customer First.i'm Sure That Your Bumper Will Look Just Fine. Look At It This Way You Are Getting A Nice Freshly Painted Rear Bumper. As Far As Repainting It For The Second Time ,they Just Want To Make Sure That Its Right.
Old 05-23-2008 | 10:46 AM
AVB for President!

When the dealership I usually go to dinged one of my doors, they actually offered to repaint/resurface all the other dings on my car (that were due to rock chips, and other stupid ass drivers). That was a nice touch -- several thousands dollars worth of work on top of what they were obligated to repair.
Old 05-23-2008 | 10:59 AM
Senior Moderator

^^ man- I would love it if my dealer offered to do that for me.

Quick Reply: Dealership wrecked my car.