Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer's Car Wash

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 06:33 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealer's Car Wash

Not sure this topic has been covered before.

Do you guys let the Dealer wash your car? I know when you buy the car ,they do a very nice job, but when you get it services is it the same quality? or

Thanks
Old 06-14-2006, 06:39 PM
Instructor

I do, but at my dealer I can see the person washing my car from one of the service waiting areas. I watched them do other cars before I told them to wash mine. They do a fine job, I could do better, but hey I don't have to wash it for another week!
Old 06-14-2006, 06:45 PM
Instructor

No. I always tell the dealer NOT to wash the car, even if it's complimentary. My logic is this...there's a reason it's free, and if I was the person washing the car I wouldn't do a very good job (cuz I know I wouldn't get a tip). The people who wash the cars probably get paid hourly wages
Old 06-14-2006, 06:47 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
The dealer washed my '05 TL when it was in for it's service A1. I told them when I made the appointment and when I dropped it off not to wash it.

What did I see when I got it back, scratches on the top, on the trunk and left qtr panel. They use a towel that had a small rock in it. They buffed them out, when I went to pick up my car. They damaged the right front bumper to were it had to be replaced.

The more you have someone do, the odds of something bad happening goes UP!

Pohanka in Chantilly.
Old 06-14-2006, 07:00 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by jupitersolo
The dealer washed my '05 TL when it was in for it's service A1. I told them when I made the appointment and when I dropped it off not to wash it.

What did I see when I got it back, scratches on the top, on the trunk and left qtr panel. They use a towel that had a small rock in it. They buffed them out, when I went to pick up my car. They damaged the right front bumper to were it had to be replaced.

The more you have someone do, the odds of something bad happening goes UP!

Pohanka in Chantilly.
That's what I thought.

Thanks
Old 06-14-2006, 07:04 PM
I've been Canonized ;)

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
My TL looked worse after they did it, never again.
Old 06-14-2006, 07:41 PM
04 NBP 6MT

I have Nighthawk Black Pearl, which shows scratches and swirls real nice, so no way a minimum wage teenager washes it!
Old 06-14-2006, 08:11 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
My dealer washes my car when I drop it off. I watched them the first time (not to be one of those annoying customers but I actually wanted to see where they had room for the washer)...they did a pretty good job. They also clean this shit out of the interior and always make sure the dash looks brand new. I'm not one to let others wash my car but they have always done a great job.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
The dealer washed mine once at pre delivery ... never again. I make good money doing paint correction from the nice job the $8/hr kid does washing the car with a dirty brush and drying it with whaterver.

I leave a note right on the steering wheel saying "No Wash"
Old 06-15-2006, 01:56 AM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
After reading so many posts on here about bad dealership experiences, on my first maintenance service, I declined the complimentary car wash and made sure the rep heard me. On delivery after the service, I walked around the car and checked for any new damages. I prefer to wash it myself.
Old 06-15-2006, 02:53 AM
Overlord - Team Abyss

Thumbs down

The dealer scratched my rims by driving into the guide rail located in the wash. I say a big NO to this one. Refinished rims don't look as nice and good luck getting them to get you a new one. Best part is they make you discover the damage on your own, even though they know they did it!
Old 06-15-2006, 06:01 AM
Tri State ViP Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The dealership washed my car when I first took it in for service and it was the worse wash ever. It seemed as if they just threw buckets of water on the car and didnt even bother to dry it. The rear bumper by the trunk was still dirty and they didnt even bother to touch the interior at all.
Never again will I allow them to give me a so-called free wash.
Old 06-15-2006, 06:30 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by LKLD
My TL looked worse after they did it, never again.
Same for me. Water spots all over it because they let it dry in the sun.

I always tell them thanks, but no thanks.

gurney
Old 06-15-2006, 06:56 AM
Advanced

I'll be honest, Im more afraid of these gas station car washes than someone doing it by hand. I had a bad experience with one when I noticed a nice scratch 2 days later on the rear passenger door. I'm positive it was from those wash brushes. It has a nice swivel in design. Thankfully not deep so a little rubbing compound should get it out. We should not be so anal, trust that someone doing it by hand has the careful hand. Its machines we have to worry about! If I were'nt so busy I would wash it more often, but if I'm at the dealership then wash away!!
Old 06-15-2006, 07:13 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER! I take it there clean already just to make sure it doesnt happen. Too much room for error there....they dont wash cars well....nor charge for the service....I kind of figure you get what you pay for!
Old 06-15-2006, 08:20 AM
Registered TL Lover

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
acrura of orange park in fl did mine a once and duval acura twice both same results average work the cleaned most of the car and they didnt do any harm so hey it was free but lets face it most people wont wash a car like it was thier own
Old 06-15-2006, 08:50 AM
5mins2disney.com

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Smile

HEhe... I love the comment about them not doing a good job since they don't get tipped, mostly because when I come in to my dealership they treat me like I'm a king and my car leaves there absolutely spotless! Why? Because they are $8/hr employees, and I tip them well (and most people don't). As a result, my cars come out of their wash absolutely spotless most of the time! My dealer offered free lifetime carwashes with any car bought there, and we take both of our Acura's there for washes regularly (TL & MDX). I'm telling you guys, tip the valets/porters...and they will take good care of you. Last time I gave the guy a $5 on the way into the wash...and he laughed and said all the other valets were giving him a hard time cause he spent more time cleaning my car than they do on new car deliveries! (Which is what we all want..right!?)
Old 06-15-2006, 09:33 AM
Pro

NO WAY.

That's where swirl marks come from. The chamois that they use to dry the cars has been used on hundreds of cars before yours and has been dropped on the ground countless times. All that dirt is being rubbed into your clearcoat and paint.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:06 AM
Mofo

My friend took his TSX in and saw them scrubbing the car down with one of those big brooms...the ones that you see school janitors sweeping the floor with
Old 06-15-2006, 10:46 AM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My car alarm auto locks after a minute so they locked my keys in my car while doing the wash. After my 3 hr oil change, I will never let them clean my car again. Anyways I had to redo the windows when I got home. I also didn't like the sheen of whatever they put on my dash. So I cleaned it off with Lexol Leather cleaner and put the trusty 303 back on top.
Old 06-15-2006, 04:37 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
No to wash. Yes to vacuum. Service rep said I'd probably get my car back a lot faster too.
Old 06-15-2006, 04:39 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by leedogg
No to wash. Yes to vacuum. Service rep said I'd probably get my car back a lot faster too.
Well sure...then all they have to do is rifle though your personals left in the car....dont even have to wash it to steal your spare change and smokes! j/k
Old 06-15-2006, 08:01 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 185 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by leedogg
Same here. I don't let anyone else wash my cars.
My dealer only hand washes (no machine) but I still I said no wash and no spray products on the interior. I'm a "303" only guy. He said "Can we at least vacuum?" and also agreed that since I am particular about the finish on the car that it would be a good idea to skip the wash.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:14 PM
Team NBP Stealth Fighter

I don't let the dealer wash my car. I'm always very explicit about that. But, after my car was there for the past two days for service, they must have forgotten and washed it anyway.

I find a new scratch on my car every time they wash it. I also feel compelled to wax the car again after they touch it. I can't stand dealer car washes.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:32 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
on half these dealer horror stories. I'm not one to defend a dealer, but if they scratched my car I'd raise hell and have them fix it. Especially those who claim its happened numerous times. Maybe they just cleaned dirt off a pre-existing scratch
Old 06-16-2006, 07:47 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MichaelBenz
NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER! I take it there clean already just to make sure it doesnt happen. Too much room for error there....they dont wash cars well....nor charge for the service....I kind of figure you get what you pay for!
LOL...with the prices dealerships charge for any type of service even just an oil change, they hardly do the wash service on a no charge basis.........
Old 06-16-2006, 08:26 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Ne touchez pas!

NEVER!

I have a black TL. I didn't even let the dealer clean it when it came off the truck. I insisted they call me when it came in and NOT even remove the white plastic protective sheets.

After I got to the dealer and examined the car, they wanted to run it through an automated car wash to cool down to plastic before removing it. I said "No."

I brought them a lamb's wool mit and said they could use this to wash the car while I watched them. But they were NOT to detail it or buff it with a machine.

When my first car came in, they ignored my order and prepped it anyway. I refused the car. They re-ordered another one. This time, they listened.

I have watched them "detail" new cars for delivery. Besides the nightmarish car wash with slapping pieces of dirty carpet, they "hand wash" it with a big broom that was described above. Black is especially susceptible to fine scratches or swirl marks. The dealer doesn't consider that "damage" per se. I do.

When I got my new car home, I spent 10 hours the next day truly detailing it to perfection. For more than 2 years, I have kept it that way.

I have only gone back to the dealer once since I took delivery because I picked up a nail in a front tire and I didn't want inexperienced people handling my rims. I had to pay $200 for a new tire. When the service writer saw my spotless car, he didn't even have to ask me if I wanted the complimentary car wash.

If I have to go back for a warranty issue (the only reason I would go back), I will make them write in BIG BOLD letters on the work order: DO NOT WASH.

That's my and I'm admittedly anal when it comes to my TL.

Dave
Old 06-16-2006, 08:41 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
The only way your going to get a dealer to pay if they damage your car is to do what I do and that is to take the service advisor for a walk around of your car priort to handing it over to them.

I make a point of pointing out the lack of scratches, dents, interior stains and wheel curb rash etc and tell him I expect it back in the same condition. I also point out the easily removed accessories ( mods) that I have done in case one goes missing.

I have yet to have a dealer servise advisor object to this as its in thier best interest too as it prevents the customer of accusing them of damage the didn't do. If he objects just thank him nicely and advise him that you will be taking your car elsewhere and that you will notify the dealership owner of the reason.

Some call it anal .. others call it thinking ahead to prevent issues. It also tells them your car isn't just disposable transportation but your hobby, pride and joy.
Old 06-22-2006, 03:59 PM
Cruisin'

I just bought my '04 used (graphite). I got a great deal on it, but it did come with lots of scratches (hood, doors, bumper). I brought it in for my B2 services this morning (also had to resurface the rotors and add new brakes and tires). I asked the guy if they send them out for detailing or do it themselves. He told me that they do it and the guy is just great (despite his lack of English).

Long story made short, they charged me $80 and this guy did an unbelievable job wet-sanding out the scratches. He basicaaly detailed the entire exterior and spent hours on it. A bargain.
Old 06-22-2006, 05:20 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Last time the car went in for a free oil change, I forgot to mention "NO WASH." Thus, I got a car back with a good # of swirl marks due to the automatic car wash. And I left it that way too, never cared enough to fix it.
Old 06-22-2006, 05:52 PM
1st Gear

Back to Basics

Let's not forget the most important "element" of washing your prized TL...THE WATER! If you have softened water, your spots are seriously reduced, if not eliminated! If you have "hard" water, you can wipe down as quick as now, and the spots will still build up, and eventually...out comes the buffer! I have soft water in my house, and a deionization unit (serious mineral removal!) that I rinse off with. You can literally let it air-dry and NO SPOTS! THen comes the wax to keep every little environmental bomb off the car...let's keep 'em looking GOOD!