3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer Won't Give me Back my TL-S!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 09:02 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Guys I am really worried too. I really miss my TL and this is the first time in 3+ years I didn't have an Acura in my driveway since Acura has always given me a loaner in the past.

I will see what happens tomorrow as I really wanted it for tomorrow night since my wife and I are going on a nice Valentine date and I don't want to be rollin in a friggin Cobalt

I am almost tempting to tell them to throw an A-Spec kit on it while I wait for them to fix the windows
Old 02-12-2009, 09:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,421 Posts
I suggest you go to the dealer and ask to get some stuff taken out of your car to make sure that it's in good condition. As well ask if your cobalt can be swapped out for an acura loaner for that nice date, PS have fun and please don't drink and drive.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:02 PM
Racer

I suggest you go to the dealer and ask to get some stuff taken out of your car to make sure that it's in good condition. As well ask if your cobalt can be swapped out for an acura loaner for that nice date, PS have fun and please don't drink and drive.
you know thats not a bad idea. They should at least give me a decent car. I'd settle even for an RDX and a 4G TL if I had too
Old 02-12-2009, 10:51 PM
Vroooom!!!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by hata_61
ya i would just pop in and check on the car. it seems too wierd for them to keep your car that long for simple issues like that.
Yeah, like the other guys said, go in and tell them that you want to get something out of the car and take a quick glance at it. If everything is on the up and up, you have the best dealer in the world!!!

Originally Posted by CarrieLynn
last time I went in they didn't even have a loaner but the lot guy dropped me off at the mall and came to pick me up when my car was ready, good enough.
Dropping a chick off at the mall while servicing her car??? There is a shovanistic statement that comes to mind but CarrieLynn is good people so I won't go there. Drop me off at the motorcycle shop for an hour or two and maybe we can call it even.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:26 PM
ON DA LOW CAR CLUB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 50pennies
haha i bet in reality what happened was one of the workers crashed your car and they are trying to fix it without you knowing...

sorry im the devils advocate. just throwing it out there
when i was reading th etopic i though the same thing lol
Old 02-13-2009, 08:41 AM
Racer

Just spoke to the dealer. They claim they ordered new parts for my door which just showed up today. If all goes well I can pick up the car at 1pm! Fingers crossed....
Old 02-13-2009, 09:00 AM
.... .... .... ... ....

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
how do you receive a loaner?
Old 02-13-2009, 09:31 AM
Racer

Blazing;

I don't understand your question above???
Old 02-13-2009, 09:47 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Audioholics
Blazing;

I don't understand your question above???
he's asking how you got one, like what you asked or had done on the car...
Old 02-13-2009, 09:49 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Blazing GT can't have a loaner. You have to be 25 years of age .. well unless they assume you are. Plus you need adequate insurance.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:20 PM
Racer

OK now I am a little concerned. The dealer just left me a VM on my cellphone saying that they replaced all the door seals on every door and the wind noise still persists on the driver side. They said they will hold onto my car until Monday as they have moved my car to their Collision Center as they believe the door may be out of alignment.

I wish I wasn't so damn far away from them and now I am leaving for Valentine date with the wifey so I can't go there.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:26 PM
1st 3g Turbo TL-S

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I bet your car fell off the lift while they were working on it! LOL
Old 02-13-2009, 02:15 PM
Safety Car

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by RC51Ryder
Dropping a chick off at the mall while servicing her car??? There is a shovanistic statement that comes to mind but CarrieLynn is good people so I won't go there. Drop me off at the motorcycle shop for an hour or two and maybe we can call it even.
LMAO!! Come on now they were doing me a favor so I didn't have to sit there for 3 hrs. Besides the lot guy (who drove me to the mall) is pretty cool and around my age so he's nice to me, I think he just likes my car but that's okay. I even made him stop at Dunkin for iced coffees, and he paid! Besides it was around xmas time and I had a little shopping to finish up
Old 02-13-2009, 02:21 PM
Photographer

OK now I am a little concerned. The dealer just left me a VM on my cellphone saying that they replaced all the door seals on every door and the wind noise still persists on the driver side. They said they will hold onto my car until Monday as they have moved my car to their Collision Center as they believe the door may be out of alignment.

I wish I wasn't so damn far away from them and now I am leaving for Valentine date with the wifey so I can't go there.
wow. i would have been down at the dealer a long time ago. something is definitely up with your car.

Last edited by DNPhotography; 02-13-2009 at 02:24 PM.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Dealers have to buy the loaners so it is a big added cost. Everyone runs out of loaners on occasion, some might use a pre-owned car in a pinch, and some rent cars.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:20 PM
Vroooom!!!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
They said they will hold onto my car until Monday as they have moved my car to their Collision Center as they believe the door may be out of alignment.
My question would be how the hell did the door get OUT of alignment???!!! Did you notice any wind noise before?
Old 02-13-2009, 03:40 PM
Racer

yes since I got the car I heard a bit more wind noise out of the door than I had on my 05 TL. TL's are notorious for this problem but my TL-S was pretty annoying at speed as low as 40mph. I had the car inspected by another Acura dealer to ensure it didn't have any body damage or repair before I bought it from a private dealer and they told me it checked out, had a clear carfax and had no records for service against it.

I did notice the rear fin on the trunk had a bit excessive foam on one side when it was installed. Its like Acura messed up on tolerances on a few things when assembling the car which doesn't surprise me since these cars are now assembled in America. So maybe the door is slightly out of alignment or the dealer is just milking this issue and making money off Acura themselves??
Old 02-13-2009, 04:52 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
carfax only knows what it has been told
If there was an accident and owner paid cash- no record of it anywhere~

Despite having it looked at before purchase- things can get missed and not everything gets checked
Old 02-13-2009, 04:53 PM
Instructor

it might be a lemon have check your car by a professional and apply under lemon law (but that is what i would do)
Old 02-13-2009, 04:59 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
If I were you.. I'd tell'em "hey.. I'm coming to pick up my car tomorrow.. I'm not taking my wife to dinner in this POS.. I'll return it at my convenience and at your expense"

It's not fair to leave you SOL like this.
Old 02-13-2009, 05:03 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would definitely be worried, as we know, they have to pay for that "loaner" that your driving and no business would let you keep it so long unless they made a big mistake or something is in the deal for them. I don't know, as others have said, I wouldn't trust it, and I would make the trip to see my car on Monday.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:34 PM
Racer

Guys;

I think this dealer is milking Acura by over servicing this car.

I did find receipts from the original owner of this car and I am tempted to call her and ask if the car was in an accident or why she gave it up after only 10k miles of usage. She took ownership of it 11/06 and turned it back over to Acura 1.3 years later. Why would anyone do that???

I will definately be getting to the bottom of this early next week.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:54 PM
Racer

Oh and I asked the dealer tonight if they could swap out my POS Cobalt loaner for an Acura and they asked me if I bought my current TL from them and I said no. They claim they don't lend Acura loaners unless you bought your car from them. I told them I bought my 1st TL from them in 05 and never once requested a loaner. Apparantly is some stupid policy they have so instead they put me in an Enterprise Rental car.

The local Acura dealer by my house always gives me a loaner but they won't fix my car b/c they claim everything on it was perfect. They wouldn't put coolant in my empty overflow container b/c they said as long as the radiator is full, you don't need more fluid.

Thus why I brought my car to the other dealer that apparantly doesn't want to give back to me b/c they want to over service it!

You just cant win....
Old 02-13-2009, 11:35 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Gene, when you dropped off your car, do you remember how many miles it had on it? Just for the heck of it, when you get the car back, check the mileage again and see how many miles have been put on it since the dealership has had it.
Old 02-14-2009, 12:36 AM
Life Long Acura Fiend

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Gene, when you dropped off your car, do you remember how many miles it had on it? Just for the heck of it, when you get the car back, check the mileage again and see how many miles have been put on it since the dealership has had it.
^ agree this a must. You need to get over to that shop ASAP. Don't wait one more day. One hrs time can be the difference between a new car and a fixed up dealer beaten car.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:47 AM
200,000 mile club

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
Man, Are you a little naive to think the dealer is "overservicing your TL" that you didn't even buy from them. When you asked for an Acura loaner, they asked you if you bought the car from them? What bullshit they are feeding you and you are eating it? You should have said, you guys were supposed to have my car for two days max, now it turns out you are going to have it for almost a week. Who's fault is that? The supposed wounderful caring dealer you brought it too.

Now they have just gotten the OK from you to take it to the collision center for a door alignment!!!!! Come on man, you just gave them a way out to cover there ass. When you get your car back, I will bet the interior is going to smell like all the paint and chemicals so now you don't have a way to raise the question. Has my car been damaged????

Advice of the day!!! Tell the honey on Valentines day, get in my Cobalt and lets go to the dealer. Go to the collision shop and look at your car!! I am cringing just reading this thread.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:43 AM
Burning Brakes

i would if the dealer was feeding me such bullshit
Old 02-14-2009, 01:06 PM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Steven Bell
I seem to recall a scene from the movie Ferris Bueller's Day Off involving a couple of parking lot attendants going for a little drive....

Hope your car has not been given the same treatment....
Old 02-14-2009, 01:59 PM
Racer

Man you guys are brutal but points well taken. I didn't give them permission to send my car to the collision center, they left me a message saying they were doing it. That place is 1hr away from the dealer so I hope they aren't putting the mileage on my car and transporting it via truck.

If they did do any body work to my car, it would smell like paint for weeks. Honestly what could they have done? I doubt some teenager working there banged it up since their senior mechanic has been working on it the whole time.

I will be dealing with this on Monday with the original service manager one way or another.

As for my car originally being in a collision, I seriously doubt it b/c I paid another Acura dealer to physically inspect this car prior to me buying it from someone else.
Old 02-14-2009, 03:00 PM
200,000 mile club

Farting in your car can leave a smell for a while. Chemicals as harsh as the body shop can develope the smell and lock into every part of your interior for weeks regardless if it were painted or not. The environment of where it is sitting will lock in those wonderful smells.

They drove the car to the shop as every dealer does. I think you are dropping the ball here.. I use to work at a dealer and I was one of a lot of guys who use to transport cars to the body shop to have things worked on. Shit happens and the dealer will try to cover there tracks to make sure they get out of a jam. It's your car but man this entire story doesn't sit well with one person in this thread......Even you are not sure. It's your car and your call. Good Luck!
Old 02-14-2009, 03:45 PM
Senior Moderator

call the dealer and tell them not to move the car. Tell them that you want to see the car before anyone else touches it. And I mean be firm and serious with them. Ask for the location and speak to the person that it's in it or is watching it. Drive there and inspect the car ASAP!!!!
Old 02-14-2009, 04:17 PM
Racer

CSmeance;

Yes I will do that first thing Monday morning assuming they didn't already move it.

I do offer an alternative view point, hear me out.

If they damaged the car and are fixing it, I would smell paint for weeks so it would be hard for them to cover that.

Thus I think they are milking it to make money off Acura. Here is what they are likely charging them:

Replaced Brembos $450
Replaced all 4 door seals: $400
Added Fluids: $50
Clean rotors and paint: charge me $220
Bodyshop door alignment: $300
Rental car: $40/day x 6 = $240
Total Dealer Profit: $1,610

considering their cars aren't flying off the lot for sales, this is a nice little profit.
Old 02-14-2009, 04:29 PM
KBPftmfw

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts
LOL at this thread. IMO, this situation could go either way.

On one hand, maybe they are being shifty and trying to cover something up. Dealers are notorious for trying to get away with anything.

On the other hand, the economy is tanking and car sales are not what they used to be. Maybe, just mayyyyyybe, they are legitimately going out of their way to make you happy and win a customer for life.

I am split on this but in either case it can't hurt to go see your car. The Cobalt rental is a shit sandwich no matter how you slice it, though.
Old 02-14-2009, 04:36 PM
Photographer

why call? just go there unannounced. call and they have 1 hr+ to prep things. i dont know whats getting on my nerves more. the dealership taking advantage of you or you continuing to post and do nothing about it.
Old 02-14-2009, 06:05 PM
200,000 mile club

It's 7:04 pm......Man is it me or did I just watch Audioholics drop the ball? We have been telling you for two days to go look at your car and it is now Saturday night. Sunday is no work day and you are now taking time away from work on Monday.

Timing is everything in life and I think you gave them way to much time to cover their Ass!!!
Old 02-14-2009, 06:22 PM
Burning Brakes

go there monday and just take your car i would go with the valet key just take it out of there lot and by the way if my deale did this to me wheather the dealershiper was 1 hour away or 3 hours away i wold be there already checking out every inch of my car then i woud tell them now that they cant fix the problem to gie ou a uckin acura loaner and not that POS they stuck you with this whole situation is unfair for the dealership to do toyou just man up (sorry i had to say it) and go cause hell there and believe me things will change very quick good luck th everything i hope nothing happened to your car and everything gets fixed
Old 02-14-2009, 06:46 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Causing hell can go both ways tho......
it could either get shit done real fast cause they dont want you srceaming and yelling in front of their other customers, or it can get you blacklisted by them and they'll never help you with anything else. your call on that one. Hope your car is OK!
Old 02-14-2009, 08:13 PM
Racer

I hear all of you trust me. I simply can't do anything on the weekend and first thing Monday morning I will be calling them followed by going there to see what happened. I will report the results and thoroughly look the car over.

I like to give people the benefit of a doubt and it does sometimes bite me in the butt. I just like to believe people are good natured in general. As a small business owner myself, I always go out of my way to make my clients and my readership happy so I assume others are like me too.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:35 PM
2017 TLX TECH V6

check your car very well and check your odometer before you leave the dealer.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:51 PM
Sǝxy Timǝ in my

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
My dealership try to nickle and dime me every time I go there. You are lucky if you get all the things done with no problems. Hope you car is OK.

Quick Reply: Dealer Won't Give me Back my TL-S!!!