Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer Scraped Edge of Rim

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 12:22 PM
all stocker

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Dealer Scraped Edge of Rim

I'm just curious what everyone thinks if this is a big deal and how would you handle it. Personally, I'm not sure if it's worth my time to make an issue of it.

I recently had a tire replaced under the warranty due to a nail. I had asked that they take extra care not to damage the stock rim as it is still fairly new.

There is an obvious scrape at the edge of that rim which is about half an inch long.

Is it unreasonable to expect the rims to be in perfect condition after replacing a tire? I know it's not easy removing and mounting a new tire.

Since it's an '06... maybe it's not worth it.

Thoughts?
Old 04-18-2008, 12:29 PM
OM NOM NOM NOM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if its not your fault, why do you have to pay for someone else's mistake. some places have special machines to remove tires so they specifically dont scratch their customer's rims. you should bring it back and get them to buff it out. but since you've already left the shop, i dont know how you're going to argue that it's their fault. good luck!
Old 04-18-2008, 12:31 PM
~Firefighter~

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You could at least ask them to fix it since it was their fault. It cant hurt. If they make a huge deal out of it then just drop it.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:31 PM
Banned

Oh its always worth it........if u can get a free rim outta it why not?
Old 04-18-2008, 12:36 PM
Wiggy Wiggy Wiggy

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
I've refinished TL rims a few times. Its really not a big deal to repair and repaint. Any big dealer will have a body shop they work in close relation with. Just politely ask them to fix it. If the wheel was mint, I sure would.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:51 PM
ON DA LOW CAR CLUB

hell yeah make them give you a new rim... i just went to acura to get my 5k oil change and i have 20s on my car and i had the manager drive it to the lot not the drivers they dont care about shit.... make sure they give you a new rim..
Old 04-18-2008, 12:55 PM
08 NBP Type S Sucka !!

I say politely ask if they could repair it,you'll get further being nice rather than not.I dont think they should buy you a new rim if they could repair it like new.My .02
Old 04-18-2008, 01:22 PM
all stocker

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I always take the courteous and professional approach. It actually got me out of a ticket yesterday when I flew through a red light. The Montclair officer was actually courteous as well and appreciated my honesty when I admited to doing so inadvertently. I know most people would suggest not to admit anything. But in my case, it helped.

Back to the rim issue... I wouldn't expect a new rim over a small scrape. If they could repair it, I would be fine with that. But the issue is if it is even worth the hassle to take it back. I have a tough enough time juggling my daughter's daycare schedule.

I tend to pick my battles... but wasn't sure if this is one situation that I should drop or not. The rim was in mint condition so it bothers me that they damaged the edge when I had also asked them to take it easy.
Old 04-18-2008, 01:44 PM
Secret Agent

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts
Happend to me. They gouged one of the rear wheels and I didn't notice it until the next day. Went back and the service manager was superb!
Before I say anything else, let me tell you that going in there and being polite will get you everywhere. If I had gone in there like a raving lunatic, demanding whatever, you won't get sh*t. Back to story.

I told him I was 99.9% sure that I didn't do it. The condition of my car and the fact that no other wheels had any kind of mark on them probably helped my case. I keep my car spotless.
He said that he couldn't admit to them doing it, but couldn't deny it either. But since I was a customer (bought the car from them) he would fix it. Told me he was going to call a vendor they use Wheel Works, I think, and he would let me know when they would be by.
Dropped off my car, he gave me a brand new MDX loaner, and took care of everything. You can't even tell there was any damage now.

Awesome customer service. Here's the dealership:

Pohanka Acura
Chantilly, VA
Old 04-18-2008, 01:48 PM
Secret Agent

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts
Oh, and you probably won't believe this but during the next service visit they scraped both wheels on the other side. I spotted it right away this time and drove straight into the service bay. The service manager was there and when he came out he couldn't believe it. I asked him if was just me? Maybe something personal? He shook his head and I'm sure his "lot" guys got ripped a new one. (he's a pretty big dude)

Looked right at me and said "I'll call em again".
Old 04-18-2008, 02:48 PM
04' tl 6 spd

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
That sucks...it happend to me about 3 times. I went in to put on a set of snow tires on stock rims and guess what, they scratched all of my rims. Bitch, bitch, bitch and they refinisihed all my rims. Great.
Went back in to put my summer tires, F@@@ it happend again. They scratched all my rims again. So they refinished all of my rims again. They didn't do a good job, so i had them do it all over again. I was fed up with the dealership, they don't care. 1st time OK, its an accident but 2nd and 3rd time, they don't give a F@@@. So I bought a set of 19s with rubber and I switch them on off the car. NO PROBLEMS. If I were you, I would push for a new rim. They f@@@ed up.
Old 04-18-2008, 06:11 PM
black on black 04 TL 6MT

it never hurts to make sure your vehicle is returned to you in proper condition. you paid money for a service which they performed. if they damaged your car, they should replace the rim. if not, knock them on their CSI (customer satisfaction index) report. all dealerships HATE that, trust me.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:15 PM
04' tl 6 spd

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
sol_da_man

YOUR RIGHT MY MONEY MY CAR YOUR FAULT
Old 04-18-2008, 09:49 PM
Instructor

Yeah, I keep a seperate set of winter rims with snow tires so that my rims don't get ripped up mounting and remounting. I just got some Goodyear F1 Asymmetrics to replace the Michelin Pilots and I made sure the rims were spotless before I took it in. I find people treat your stuff with more care if you show as much, because it becomes easier to notice if they screwed it up. Mounting and balancing is a somewhat violent affair, but if done with care and the machine is in good shape, shouldn't be a problem. I inspected the rims before I left the dealership and I had some very light scrapes. Nothing worth getting into about.

This guy I know has a 2005 330i which he kept garaged and drove a A4 as a daily commuter. It had 300 miles on it when he took it to the dealer in mid 2007 because the car wouldn't run right (sat in the garage). Well the tech curbed the hell out of his passenger side rims on a test drive. I laughed my ass off, but he said someone came in and repaired the rims and he couldn't tell. Don't ask me why anyone would treat a 330i as a collectors item. Buy it and drive it.
Old 04-20-2008, 03:22 AM
OM NOM NOM NOM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it shouldnt be messed up when mounting and remounting. like i said in my first posting.. some places even have a special tire removal machine where it securely holds down the rim and removes the tire without putting a single scratch on it. the machine doesnt even touch the metal part of the rim!