Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer Experience

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 11:07 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealer Experience

I just had to share how impressed I've been so far with the dealer in my area and only owning the car for ~3 weeks.

My first trip was to just get new wiper blades and the parts guy treated me with respect (vs what I'm used to from Mitsubishi) and was very helpful.

Today I called to schedule the fix for the rear deck lid rattle. I tried scheduling for a Saturday and he said it needed to be a weekday as their tech most familiar with it would be there. I informed him I just needed a ride back to work. He then says, 'oh, sir, we would be giving you a vehicle for the day since we'll be removing the whole deck lid and installing a pad/mat that covers the whole deck lid'

I was really blown away by that. I've always had to take a the shuttle or pay for a vehicle for the day.

Any other TSB's I should be seeing if they affect me? I've read through some of them in the sticky and even fixed the bluetooth transmission buzz that was in the HFL. Just looking for anything obvious/common that should be taken care of while I'm in there. I got the car used and I can't imagine the previous owner actually on the boards here
Old 04-24-2010, 01:26 AM
Former Whiner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Don't know of any other predominant issues besides the rattles. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

As for the treatment. !
Old 04-24-2010, 10:04 AM
Advanced

Cool, thanks. I'll probably have them look at the driver side air vent as well.
Old 04-24-2010, 01:25 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
most acura dealers will try to give you a loaner car - its great customer relations and keeps customers from waiting around for their car--allowing the qualified tech to work on it when he has time during the day
It may only take a few hours but getting those hours into the schedule is the trick

I find tues-wed-thurs appointments are the best, and more likely to have a loaner available for you
Note: must meet your state age min for rental cars due to insurance rules-
most are age 25 and a few are 21, if you are young ck before getting stuck!
But the dealer would still give you a shuttle ride to work if needed

You will get a survey card with the receipt- give them all 10s if you are satisfied
bonus cks revolve around those surveys- corp reads them and sends to dealer for weekly staff meetings- anything less than 10 is failing grade to corp
Name anyone who really took care of you- like the parts guy, get them special recognition~$ at bonus time

I take a box of donuts or popsicles `for the shop`(mostly consumed by service writers and manager and your tech)
a 5-10$ investment in ~Goodwill~ will pay you back many times over

Dealer is supposed to run the VIN for any recalls- there are several on the gen3 and will be taken care of while they have the car---for free
make sure to mention its never seen the dealer before so they do run it
Old 04-24-2010, 02:02 PM
runnin a little boost

Received 256 Likes on 208 Posts
I have to say they may treat you well but, your car is a whole different story. Joy riding your car, washing the car with rocks, and most importantly cause more damage than they fix. Any service you get for free from a dealer is not profitable for them and more of a chance to find or create new problems.

I took my 06 in for a $80 service for the first oil change, they scrached it and left some yellow marking paint on the side. I have never gone back to a dealer since and haven't needed to.
Old 04-24-2010, 06:14 PM
2004 Acura TL

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
When you talk about your Bluetooth transmission buzz? Do you mean that your HFL went out?

If so could you tell me how you fixed it, pictures would be great!
Old 04-24-2010, 06:32 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by navarretg
When you talk about your Bluetooth transmission buzz? Do you mean that your HFL went out?

If so could you tell me how you fixed it, pictures would be great!
No, there is a TSB on a ground wire in the HFL that picks up on transmission noise. It's in the sticky at the top of this section of the forum.
Old 04-24-2010, 06:33 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Hi speed
I have to say they may treat you well but, your car is a whole different story. Joy riding your car, washing the car with rocks, and most importantly cause more damage than they fix. Any service you get for free from a dealer is not profitable for them and more of a chance to find or create new problems.

I took my 06 in for a $80 service for the first oil change, they scrached it and left some yellow marking paint on the side. I have never gone back to a dealer since and haven't needed to.
I've never had issues with any of the dealers in this area. I check my odometer before I go in to make sure that nothing out of the ordinary is happening.
Old 04-24-2010, 08:49 PM
Team Owner

as a retired insider:
we dont have time to joyride your car--we drive hundreds of cars fixed up nicer than yours and are trying to work on cars to make money- not out screwing around on test drives
Your car may be test driven to lunch with another tech or 2 to see if a noise can be detected or certain problem found that requires more than once around the block to find

the wash kid is a danger to your car!!!- low paid untrained- doesnt rinse the rags- paint scratches--all the stories are true
Put a note on the steering wheel- NO WASH! in whatever language is prevelant in your city
On the invoice the last thing the service writer puts is: Customer request Wash and Vac

when they change it to No wash and vac,,do you think the kid who is mindlessly washing dozens of cars a day even reads that....how bout NO!

Funky parking lot damage?, you bet!!- ever seen how tight they have to pack the cars in that are in line for service? or completed? a whole back lot filled with them,, and hopefully a skinny kid parking them~
There is a reason your car disappears and is brought back out when you arrive

odometer reading is taken when car comes in- its a law that has to be on the invoice, it also has a place for miles when finished, that should be same as what you see when picking up
An oil change does not require test drive, but new axles or brakes, noises etc should put a few miles on it
Old 04-24-2010, 10:49 PM
Advanced

Thanks for the insider tips. I guess I don't worry too much about the dealers damaging the car as it can happen anywhere and anytime. I know dealers get the bad wrap but a lot of small shops can treat cars just as bad or worse.
Old 04-25-2010, 12:06 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks 01tl4tl for the insider info. I never let the dealer wash my car...and I never let my car out of my sight when it's in the dealer's bay even for an oil change...that's just me... However I'd rather go to the dealer to get anything done rather than having someone else mess with it.
Old 04-25-2010, 12:19 AM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
as a retired insider:
we dont have time to joyride your car--we drive hundreds of cars fixed up nicer than yours and are trying to work on cars to make money- not out screwing around on test drives
Your car may be test driven to lunch with another tech or 2 to see if a noise can be detected or certain problem found that requires more than once around the block to find

the wash kid is a danger to your car!!!- low paid untrained- doesnt rinse the rags- paint scratches--all the stories are true
Put a note on the steering wheel- NO WASH! in whatever language is prevelant in your city
On the invoice the last thing the service writer puts is: Customer request Wash and Vac

when they change it to No wash and vac,,do you think the kid who is mindlessly washing dozens of cars a day even reads that....how bout NO!

Funky parking lot damage?, you bet!!- ever seen how tight they have to pack the cars in that are in line for service? or completed? a whole back lot filled with them,, and hopefully a skinny kid parking them~
There is a reason your car disappears and is brought back out when you arrive

odometer reading is taken when car comes in- its a law that has to be on the invoice, it also has a place for miles when finished, that should be same as what you see when picking up
An oil change does not require test drive, but new axles or brakes, noises etc should put a few miles on it

Wow, this is great-everyone should read this!

National Acura Meet-June 6th/Kansas City. Click here for details and to sign up!

Old 04-25-2010, 04:35 AM
Team Owner

if you can find a small shop where the actual owner runs the desk and shop- oversees the techs etc, you may get a good place

When your own reputation is on the line you tend to be sure things are done to a higher standard- at least one hopes
Old 04-25-2010, 04:56 AM
Advanced

Dealership (for and brand) are like fast food joints. It all depends on the employees. Every brand has good and bad dealerships. It is simply how things work and not a reflection on the actual car maker. The Toyota dealership I take my TC to has a cafe and when you bring your car in for service gives to voucher for a free sandwich and drink. They take good care of my car and are quick. The BMW dealership I go to to service my M3 has nothing more than a coffee pot and some vending machines and take forever, but do a great job. And to be fair working on a BMW is harder than a Toyota. I did the brakes on my old 2001 540i and it took most of the day. Oh and any work that take more than a day and they give you a wicked fun to drive 135i, yay!!!!

It all comes down to the owner of the dealerships business model.
Old 04-25-2010, 05:00 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
if you can find a small shop where the actual owner runs the desk and shop- oversees the techs etc, you may get a good place

When your own reputation is on the line you tend to be sure things are done to a higher standard- at least one hopes
This.

Many times I would take my older BMW (since it was not under warrenty and no free service) To Atlantic Autowerks in Virginia Beach. They specialized in BMW but will work on any German cars.

If you live in the area it is the place to go for independent service.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:46 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
The dealer I take my tsx for service is excellent. I do let them wash and vacuum my car. I know the person that does it. Yes he is a college student but he does take a lot of pride in his work. I have no problem getting loaner cars as I give them enough notice that I need one. Most of the time I keep it overnight. I am a former Pa resident now living in NC. This dealer is in PA so I schedule my appointments when I am in the area. I get to visit family and friends while my car is being serviced. I get lots of compliments on how nice my car looks. I then tell them it has over 100,000 miles and they are amazed.
My car was in for an oil/filter change, tire rotation/balance, Manual transmission and brake fluids changed. I had a 09 TL as a loaner car=put about 300 miles on it. They also ordered new wiper blades (per a TSB) that I will be getting the next time I am in the area (they are holding on to them). Total price incl tax $86.99.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:22 AM
Team Owner

wow thats a score on price with the brake fluid change-
which everyone needs to get done or DIY its easy and important to do

If you have met the wash guy thats a different story of course- but on average...
Take a walk around back and see who is doing what
some shops have a drive thru wash- if you have custom expensive rims and detail the car yourself- dont let them take the car thru there!
lot porter/drivers aim not always the best getting wheels in the track~ thump and bump
Old 04-25-2010, 10:33 AM
Advanced

I suppose it's such a unique experience depending on where you live. I don't live in a big city so its the only dealer within 20 miles so they fight to keep you business from driving off.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:49 AM
Pro

Received 102 Likes on 91 Posts
Wow! Great info 01tl4tl! Thank you!