Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead Cow Skin

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2004, 12:39 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dead Cow Skin

i have a bit of a moral issue here. about a year ago i went vegetarian and am very happy with my choice. 4 months ago i went vegan(no milk, eggs, butter or any other animal by-product at all). now im ready to buy a 35K dollar car, and any 35K dollar car is gonna come with leather. is there any car maker(acura, bmw, lexus, etc) that will swap out the real leather seats for man-made leather, or vinyl. i went vegan for a few reasons, mainly for health(heart attacks and cancer are the 2 leading killers in america and animal ingredients increase odds of both) and also because i dont want to contribute to the death and torture of animals. obvioulsy getting leather seats, wont kill me, but it is one more cow that will be skined, probably alive. what should i do?
Old 09-19-2004, 12:58 PM
AM MT Navi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tare off that "cow skin" and get those seats reupholstered
I can understand you not wanting to sit your ass down on "cow skin", but in reality if they swap the seats out...i doubt they will go back to the factory to be used for a new TL. In other words, no cow saved. I would say you'll be looking at near a grand to get them reupholstered.
...just my
Old 09-19-2004, 01:13 PM
Instructor

Buy some sheepskin seat covers....

Seriously, most german cars can still be special order with cloth, if they don't come standard. I test drove and 04' Audi A4 with a nice racy cloth, black on black. Sometimes when you get a cloth package, certain options aren't always available, since the cloth is considered very base. The A4 I drove was a fwd, 1.8t with cloth.
Old 09-19-2004, 01:18 PM
I6

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The BMW 3 series comes with leatherette (vinyl) standard. I think.
Old 09-19-2004, 01:21 PM
Gratis dictum

Maybe..............

Some owners of Saabs have, in ordering their cars, specified that cloth seats be substituted for the standard leather ones for reasons such as yours or wishing for more "grippy" seats for spirited driving. It was a factory order. I understand that cloth seats on new cars are not uncommon in Europe. Some dealers may be reluctant to process such requests since, if anything goes wrong with the transaction, cloth seats in a luxury car may be difficult to sell. Good luck!
Old 09-19-2004, 02:14 PM
drewLS6 soon

Old 09-19-2004, 02:32 PM
My dog thinks I'm Elvis!

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I love animals........................................... ..............they’re delicious!
Old 09-19-2004, 02:42 PM
Shift_faster

Originally Posted by 6mtV6
The BMW 3 series comes with leatherette (vinyl) standard. I think.
Agreed. Also I believe the Lexus IS300 can be gotten with suede/Alacantara type seating. I don't think any manufacturer will reupholster your leather seats, maybe just look at cars that do not have them standard (BMW is a major one).

I do agree with shotcaller88 though, that if you get a TL and get it reupholstered, they are not going to use that anyway, so it is still a waste of a cow.

Good luck
Old 09-19-2004, 02:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
While I could bring up the numerous proteins you miss out from not eating animals (sorry but we are omnivorous) I wont do that.

Cloth seats are not a problem, especially if you live somewhere hot. Dealerships and upholstery shops will do it for 1000 or so.
Old 09-19-2004, 02:47 PM
DWP
Advanced

Seats might not be all cow

It might be easier to swap out the leather on the seats than people are assuming. I'm researching the TL and I've been trying to find out if the TL seats are all leather, or just the perforated seating surfaces between the bolsters. The Acura web site is unclear on the point. I've posted the question in two recent threads about seat "leather" problems but the question seems to be a thread-killer - no responses. Cars at the TL's price point don't usually have all-leather seats.

If most of the seat is a synthetic material, not leather, then replacing the leather center portion of the seat back and bottom with the same synthetic material should not be too difficult or expensive.

I'm a vegetarian but not a vegan. My rationalization for driving a car with leather seats (and for wearing leather shoes and belts) is that the cow was killed to feed the carnivores, and not for its leather.
Old 09-19-2004, 03:00 PM
Racer

try to search for butt print
Old 09-19-2004, 03:13 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
How can you buy any car? They burn dinosaur by-products.

Mike
Old 09-19-2004, 03:19 PM
Intermediate

Unless you can convince the rest of the world to stop eating beef, I wouldn't worry about sitting on the biproduct.
Old 09-19-2004, 03:42 PM
Racer

Would you rather see the skin be thrown away, and not made into leather, after others eat the beef?

I've always thought that leather in a car isn't a good choice. Every manufacturer is using it these days because the public equates it with luxury. But it just doesn't last that well in a car. Cloth or even a good grade of vinyl are superior, in my opinion.
Old 09-19-2004, 03:58 PM
Intermediate

I would normally agree that leather = luxury, but my sister with 2 kids swears by it because it's extremely easy to keep clean and wipe up spills from. I don't like the fact that cloth seats need to be thoroughly cleaned or else they STINK after a while. On the other hand, leather tends to stick to you in warm weather. I have purchased lambs wool seat covers that actually keep you cool in the summer and warm in the winter. They last forever and can be washed whenever you want too.
Old 09-19-2004, 04:51 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

BMW 3 series 330i w/performance package or 3 series w/o leather or premium package.
Old 09-19-2004, 04:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
only the center insers and side bolsters on rear leather i believe, you could easily get them reupholstered
Old 09-19-2004, 06:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

The new Volvo S40 and V50 come with a new synthetic called T-tec which, IMHO, looks better than the leather in my Acura.
Old 09-19-2004, 06:31 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
If you're really a Vegan, and really believe in the moral principles, then I think you have to completely forego the TL and any other luxury car that offers standard leather. Buying it and then throwing the leather away isn't saving any of those animals whatsoever.

Mike
Old 09-19-2004, 08:32 PM
Powered by Guinness

Thank you for presenting your dilemma. I found it intriguing.

You can have the skins from the cow that I am going to eat tonight. They are reserved for you. If you don't use them they will go to waste, and that would be a shame.

Old 09-19-2004, 08:48 PM
EnJ
Anti-Acura TL

Sorry to do it but this post is screaming for this article.

http://www.randomperspective.com/page.asp?1news/2/062
Old 09-19-2004, 10:00 PM
Racer

well thanks for most of the advice. except for the two idiots who dont think about anything but what tastes good in there mouths. a lot of people think that vegetarians miss out on vitamins and proteins by not eating meat, but if they did any research on the subject theyed learn that its harder to make a protein lacking diet, than it is to get the protein you need, and by far. also, I feel fine and take daily vitamins everyday to make up for ANY small amount of vitamins I might miss (I took the same vitamins when I ate meat) but im sure to some people taking a pill everyday is harder than getting a heart attack once.
The thing I dont understand, is why would Volvo make a man-made leather which probably looks better, is easier to clean, lasts longer, and nothing dies for it, and other idiots still wanna kill things,....
aegir, the day you go out and kill a cow, skin it, and eat the meat, i will personally come out and pick up the skins. to be honest, i already decided against reupholstering the car, because i agree that it wouldnt save an animal, but i WILL go test drive that Volvo now that i know they are a car company with compassion. anyway, thanks for the help, anyone that thinks this is a silly thread should pick up a book or check out peta.com or at least try to learn something instead of just living the routine thats been handed down to you.
Old 09-19-2004, 10:17 PM
Racer

Sorry to say, but your beliefs are flawed. Why are you so ahamed of what we are? We have to eat, its part of nature. In essence, we ourselves are animals. Why do you see that eating an animal is torture? Well i got news for you, plants are living things as well. So can you not justify by killing plants torture as well? Best thnig you can do is starve youself to death. get it through your head, eating is part of nature. You don't see animals not eating other animals becuase they feel bad for them. Its just a part of nature, eating and death is a natrual thing. On the other hand, cumpulsive eating and wasting food is different. Buying 30 punds of meat and eating 1 pound is somethnig to be ashamed of, that is unnatural, it is gluttony. But the act of eating meat itself is not. Using the skin of animals that we eat to make products is fine, because it puts more use out of the animal which is used for food. But simply killing animals for their skin, throwing away their meat, thats a different story. My great grandparents ate meat their entire life, bearly ate any vegetables at all. Where i comne from, meat is eaten o na daily basis. They both lived to old age, my grandmother died at the age of 89, while my grandfather died at 101. The extreme of any side is unhealthy, you have to have a balanced diet. Eating only vege/meat is bad for you. An extreme is never healthy.

Sorry for this off-topic post, i just felt like typing.

-BTW, taking vitamins in pill form is very different then actually obtaining it from food. Any well educated person would tell you its true.
Old 09-19-2004, 10:44 PM
Acura Sales Manager

Keep in mind the side airbags. It might be difficult to find a shop to do the conversion correctly. We wont even contract the work out, due to liability.
Old 09-20-2004, 12:00 AM
DWP
Advanced

Do you mean that the side door panels (where the side airbags hide) are also real leather? Are you sure it's real leather, and not synthetic?
Old 09-20-2004, 12:34 AM
Instructor

The side airbags aren't in the doors

Acuras have the side airbags built in to the seat
Old 09-20-2004, 01:19 AM
Racer

i test drove the Volvo S40 T5, and it was a real fun car to drive, and the the seats werent lether but instead this stuff that felt like wet suit material...

I have a couple vegan friends, and they respect my eating habbits as i respect theres, ecept they drive old crappy nissans with carpet seats, and have never experienced the true powa of my car.

Isnt the WRX STI cloth? I will check my friends out tommorrow.
Old 09-20-2004, 01:53 AM