Sponsored by:

Dashboard Marks and Acura Quality!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 12:35 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dashboard Marks and Acura Quality!?

Hello everyone,

Just curious what your experiences have been with the dashboards in your cars. I have a two month old 2005. I have a few long light, surface scratch / scuff marks on my dash board (psgr side). The marks were left by my dealer when they replaced my head liner due to a factory tear.

Nothing will remove them. Armor All masks it , but is a pain in the rear to constantly put on. Besides, Armor All is hard to apply evenly.

I know some have described marks, airbag spots and white haze...Anyone with marks from wipe downs etc? I THINK WE ALL AGREE THE MATERIAL ON THE DASH IS A BIT STUBBORN WITH WIPE DOWNS!

IT pains me to consider replacing the dash, because there is no way it would ever look factory again, however the marks are driving me mad. Too much stuff attached to it. Has anyone out there had theirs replaced with success?!

I continue to be disappointed with Acura Quality.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:12 AM
6MT & LSD

use swiffer for dust & such... i always keep one in the car.

use mr clean magic eraser for scuff marks. don't use greasy wipes on any of the surfaces. that's just stupid. wipe off all the armor all residue with damp cloth and use better interior detailing products, or don't use anything at all.

jeez, go find a better car for the price. just because the car looks and feels like a 50k car, doesn't mean it is of such quality. it's your fault for using cheap, shitty product like armor all for the interior. those things are meant for j-body or metro. scuff marks are inevitable on almost all cars - mr. clean magic eraser should get rid of 'em. keep the inside of the car clean (i.e. frequent vacuuming, dusting, etc), and there's no reason why the dash should not stay looking new. my brother's 03 TL still has clean, new-looking interior(except for the seats & floor mats).
Old 05-13-2005, 06:31 AM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ndx2
use swiffer for dust & such... i always keep one in the car.

use mr clean magic eraser for scuff marks. don't use greasy wipes on any of the surfaces. that's just stupid. wipe off all the armor all residue with damp cloth and use better interior detailing products, or don't use anything at all.

jeez, go find a better car for the price. just because the car looks and feels like a 50k car, doesn't mean it is of such quality. it's your fault for using cheap, shitty product like armor all for the interior. those things are meant for j-body or metro. scuff marks are inevitable on almost all cars - mr. clean magic eraser should get rid of 'em. keep the inside of the car clean (i.e. frequent vacuuming, dusting, etc), and there's no reason why the dash should not stay looking new. my brother's 03 TL still has clean, new-looking interior(except for the seats & floor mats).

Why must people post such ignorant responses... Did you read/comprehend what Obey was complaining/posting about..? The dealer scratched his dash and he is trying to find a "better" product than what he is using to hopefully hide the damage.... I would be extremely careful using the "magic eraser" on any surface in the TL. I use them all the time around the house, but they can do more harm than good on some items. As finicky as the TL dash is, I think it "may" have nasty results.

Obey,
Their have been a few folks that have had their dashes replaced. If I remember correctly, both were pleased with the outcome. Bottom line, if the marks are really bothering you and every product you try just doesn't do it for ya, I would definitely make the dealer replace it. Ether way!!! Notify your service manager of your concern over the damage and your attempts to hide the marks. Let him/her know NOW that you are not happy with the damage and will want a new dash if it can't be remedied some other way.

Damn crappy technicians anyway.....

Keep us posted - Good luck
Old 05-13-2005, 08:18 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Without pics my answer may or may not be helpful...from sliding my sun visor/shade in and out of my window it leaves scuff marks on the dash very easily. (It is one of the ones recommended on this forum - fold-up, custom fit.) I have found that the 303 takes care of them with ease. I make sure dash is clean, first vacuum with soft bristle brush and then I even wipe it with damp MicroFiber. Then I spray a Meguiars yellow foam applicator with 303 and rub it all over dash, then I dry with another Micro Fiber. No scuffs anywhere - still not the jet black color that the dash should be to match the door panels, but hey, thats another thread...

Hope the 303 helps your issue - again, I cannot see the severity of it. Good luck.
Old 05-13-2005, 08:49 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Obey
Hello everyone,

Just curious what your experiences have been with the dashboards in your cars. I have a two month old 2005. I have a few long light, surface scratch / scuff marks on my dash board (psgr side). The marks were left by my dealer when they replaced my head liner due to a factory tear.

Nothing will remove them. Armor All masks it , but is a pain in the rear to constantly put on. Besides, Armor All is hard to apply evenly.

I know some have described marks, airbag spots and white haze...Anyone with marks from wipe downs etc? I THINK WE ALL AGREE THE MATERIAL ON THE DASH IS A BIT STUBBORN WITH WIPE DOWNS!

IT pains me to consider replacing the dash, because there is no way it would ever look factory again, however the marks are driving me mad. Too much stuff attached to it. Has anyone out there had theirs replaced with success?!

Not necessarily Acura quality, but dealer quality. At delivery, I had a six-inch long scuff-looking mark on the passenger-side dash. Why they didn't see that and address it before showing the car to me was puzzling.

But when I pointed it out, it was addressed. (Can't tell you how, since I was signing papers while it was done.) Had the car close to a month now, and it's like it was never there.
Old 05-13-2005, 09:00 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had my 01 TL S model delievered to me with a scrape in the front bumper.. It was covered by the person putting the front license plate bracket on and since I do not have a front license plate. I took it off when I got home and viola I saw the damage.

People just do not care. Make the deal get the cash and fix it later if the person sees or complains about damage.
Old 05-13-2005, 09:12 AM
Instructor

What is this 303 stuff you guys are talking about?
Old 05-13-2005, 10:10 AM
Gratis dictum

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
303 is an aerospace protectant. Great stuff. Go to www.303products.com for their hype on the product. Many on this forum use it with great success. It is sometimes available in auto parts stores, but usually in marine supply stores.
Old 05-13-2005, 10:51 AM
Team Anthracite Member

I actually picked some up at EMS - Eastern Mountain Sports I think that stands for. Had never been in that store....was not in the market for a Kayak.
Old 05-13-2005, 10:52 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
i have never had any of these 'dash problems' ....

Old 05-13-2005, 12:51 PM
6MT & LSD

i don't think my response was ignorant.
i just can't understand why people are so quick to blame everything on acura quality. if the dealer scratched the dash, it's their fault and it's your responsibility to get them to fix it.

plus, this guy used armor-all on the interior surfaces! on a new TL! armor-all's great for pos pintos, but don't ever use that on a new car.

unless you spill something on the dash, or have kids that constantly touch the dash and such with greasy/dirty hands, you can keep the interior spotless if you vacuum and dust frequently.

my point was/isdon't be so hasty to blame your/your dealer's mistakes on acura's quality.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:27 PM
Intermediate

NDX2 - -THE QUALITY remark was made after a variety of problems with my car:

torn head liner at delivery
paint peel on rear bumper
butt imprints on the seats
and now a scratched dash

How could I not question quality after having these issues!?
Old 05-13-2005, 02:34 PM
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ndx2
i don't think my response was ignorant.
i just can't understand why people are so quick to blame everything on acura quality. if the dealer scratched the dash, it's their fault and it's your responsibility to get them to fix it.

plus, this guy used armor-all on the interior surfaces! on a new TL! armor-all's great for pos pintos, but don't ever use that on a new car.

unless you spill something on the dash, or have kids that constantly touch the dash and such with greasy/dirty hands, you can keep the interior spotless if you vacuum and dust frequently.

my point was/isdon't be so hasty to blame your/your dealer's mistakes on acura's quality.

Regular wear and tear and use do bring scratches to the dash what the fu*k does it have to do with Acura quality ?
Old 05-13-2005, 02:39 PM
6MT & LSD

well, sorry to hear about your bad luck. no offense was intended in my comments.

it's just that a lot of people have a misconception of the acura brand... they think the TL is a luxury car, and expect such quality. the truth is, it's just a value-packing, elegantly designed, high-performing, sub 35k sports sedan. it is by far made of higher quality than any car in this price/class range. all your problems are relatively minor that can easily be corrected, wouldn't you agree?

just remember to use better interior detailing products than armor-all.
Old 05-13-2005, 04:26 PM
Advanced

Never use armorall..

If you use it once.. and dont use it again.. it will start to crack your interior under the sun

~mark
Old 05-13-2005, 07:31 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Obey
Hello everyone,

i dont think it has to do with acuras quality as much as the dealer. they are th ones who scratched the dash. the headliner was probably also the dealers fault it was probably damaged during pdi or clean up.
Old 05-14-2005, 03:20 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by KJSmitty
Why must people post such ignorant responses... Did you read/comprehend what Obey was complaining/posting about..? The dealer scratched his dash and he is trying to find a "better" product than what he is using to hopefully hide the damage.... I would be extremely careful using the "magic eraser" on any surface in the TL. I use them all the time around the house, but they can do more harm than good on some items. As finicky as the TL dash is, I think it "may" have nasty results.
If anything, you're the ignorant one.

Obey complained of a scratch caused by the dealership, and at the end of his post, he stated that he's disappointed with Acura quality.

Acura quality has nothing to do with the damages caused by someone's negligence. ndx2 was just pointing this out. If I went out and crashed my car into a tree and the headlight busted, then is it an Acura quality problem? No.

Besides, you shouldn't use Armor-All. It's a piece of shit product. I use Zaino throughout my car, interior and exterior, and it keeps things looking and smelling like new.

Next time, read ALL posts thoroughly before calling someone out.
Old 05-14-2005, 03:35 AM
mio
Police

but the TL quality still fking sux!
Old 05-14-2005, 03:46 AM
Dragging knees in

Originally Posted by mio
Then go buy something else. Sitting at your computer bitching about it isn't gonna solve anything.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not some elitist who is in denial that Acura could have problems. I agree that the quality sucks (comparatively speaking), but for the money, it's great value.

I just don't bitch about it, because it's not gonna change anything. Let's just say that I've come to terms with it. Every car has its problems, even higher-end cars. Even my dad's 55k-dollar XL Denali has problems (surprise, surprise... it's a GM, after all). In fact, it has more problems than my 33k-dollar TL-S.

So next time you want to complain about Acura quality, think to yourself -- can you really get a better car for the same money? And are these problems only isolated to Acura cars? Is complaining about it going to change anything? If you can answer yes to any of those questions, then well, let me know because I would love to hear your reasons.

I think I've fulfilled my bitchin' session of the night. :putsontheflamesuit:
Old 05-14-2005, 04:15 AM
mio
Police

Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
Then go buy something else. Sitting at your computer bitching about it isn't gonna solve anything.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not some elitist who is in denial that Acura could have problems. I agree that the quality sucks (comparatively speaking), but for the money, it's great value.

I just don't bitch about it, because it's not gonna change anything. Let's just say that I've come to terms with it. Every car has its problems, even higher-end cars. Even my dad's 55k-dollar XL Denali has problems (surprise, surprise... it's a GM, after all). In fact, it has more problems than my 33k-dollar TL-S.

So next time you want to complain about Acura quality, think to yourself -- can you really get a better car for the same money? And are these problems only isolated to Acura cars? Is complaining about it going to change anything? If you can answer yes to any of those questions, then well, let me know because I would love to hear your reasons.

I think I've fulfilled my bitchin' session of the night. :putsontheflamesuit:

I owned an A4 , and a 330ci,

now, I got a 350z, and a tl, , all of them got similar price, and all of them got

better quality than my TL. And I don't think i need to do anything to change

anything, acura should do something to satisfied their customers.ok?

I love cars, I love my TL, and I just told a turth, told a experience!

I also wondring y u r so pissed? Don't fukin' bs me ok? bit ch about urself!
Old 05-14-2005, 04:23 AM
mio
Police

pS: OH, I just saw that u said "u agree : acura quality sux"?! then what is ur fkin point ?

If u fking agree with my point , why u still could bs so much? !

i never said tl doesn't get a great value, I bought it b/c of its great value.

but great value doesn't mean great quality, i don't read ur fkin logic,

u fukin drunked? try to fuk a bia chi is gonna help!
Old 05-14-2005, 04:31 AM
Dragging knees in

Ok, take a chill pill, take a deep breath, and relax.
Old 05-14-2005, 04:34 AM
mio
Police

Ok, take a chill pill, take a deep breath, and relax.
rofl!
Old 05-14-2005, 05:35 AM
WDP Director of R & D

If anything, you're the ignorant one.

Obey complained of a scratch caused by the dealership, and at the end of his post, he stated that he's disappointed with Acura quality.

Acura quality has nothing to do with the damages caused by someone's negligence. ndx2 was just pointing this out. If I went out and crashed my car into a tree and the headlight busted, then is it an Acura quality problem? No.

Besides, you shouldn't use Armor-All. It's a piece of shit product. I use Zaino throughout my car, interior and exterior, and it keeps things looking and smelling like new.

Next time, read ALL posts thoroughly before calling someone out.
OK,,,,,,,
Lets look at this from something other than a 23 year old perspective. For starters, Obey's initial post is completely benign in regards to "Acura Quality". His statements were articulate and sincere, not vulgar and defamatory. The reason he stated "continues to be disappointed in Acura's quality" is due to other quality issues with his TL. The dash "issue", whether caused by the dealer or the manufacturer, is just his latest disappointment with his Acura product. Using "Acura quality" in this case, whether implying vehicle and/or dealership, is synonymous.

Armor-All...... OK, so maybe it's not the best product in many of our minds. Does that mean that one must through words like "stupid" and "piece of shit" implying the person using the product is just that?? Not required. Just inform the person, like Tbone and others did so well above, that their are better products out there, then provide examples etc.
I too use all Zaino products for exterior and interior on my TL - Leather in a Bottle is great. If they have something that works for the TL dash, please let me know - seriously. I have tried darn near everything besides Armor-all (303 is next), but have yet to find something that works to my liking. I like the TL dash but as I mentioned above, and I'm sure many agree, it is a bit finicky when it comes to protectors / products etc.

Lastly..
Your first sentence - thats fine, I'm thick skinned. Heck, like I always say: if the shoe fits, wear it. But I live in an environment/profession where keen comprehension and thinking before communicating is a must. Something I don't think they teach well enough in school. Because when you don't, you come across as "ignorant". Which brings me to your last sentence...
Next time, read ALL posts thoroughly before calling someone out
Well,,,, given the fact that my post was number three and I was quoting/commenting on post number two's comprehension of post number one..... At this point I could digress to 1/3 my age, but wont.... Most will "comprehend" my point.

Many of us complain, moan, and grown as well as discuss a plethora of topics and tips on this forum. All of the topics will not please everyone. Many learn from most and/or get emotional and possibly respond to some in what I deem unnecessary ways/bad "tone". We are all guilty at one time or another, me included. It's not all the "complaining" or Acura quality statements that drive folks from the forum, it's all the (forgive me for saying), ignorant comments and responses.

Read, comprehend, think, then communicate (post).
Be articulate, compassionate if desired, and most of all give accurate facts, examples, and recommendations. Thats what makes a good forum/thread/post.

I now descend from my soapbox...
--I think that might have been my longest post.....

Cheers all
Old 05-14-2005, 07:33 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by mio
compared to what?
Old 05-14-2005, 12:27 PM
Dragging knees in

KJSmitty --

Ah, yes. The good old age attack. It's always the people who don't list their age that use it as a tool in an argument. For what reason, I don't know, and I don't care.

I made the same point about the detailing products as any others; I just happen to be more enthusiastic than others about a certain brand, and not so much with another. So I used different words to convey my point, and called Armor-All a piece of shit product... sue me.

This all comes down to word games, but Obey didn't list any of the other problems he has had with his car. All I know from his post is that his TL is two months old, and the dashboard has a scratch caused by a negligent dealership employee. He concluded his post by stating that he is disappointed with Acura quality.

Unlike you, I don't consider Acura build quality and dealership service level under a single term "Acura quality". Any damages caused by someone's negligence has nothing to do with "Acura quality". A scratch caused by an employee could happen at any dealership, not just Acura. Dealerships are an independent entity from Acura so it's not really fair to group and rate them together. I'm happy with the build quality of my TL-S, but I'm not happy with the dealership service.

But like I said, it's all word games. This is becoming stupid, and I really don't want to argue about it. The bottom line is that Acura is a good value for the money, although it has its problems. However, what car doesn't have problems?
Old 05-14-2005, 06:49 PM
Team Anthracite Member

What year Z? You got that tire issue? My buddy is going through lemon law as we speak. On his 5th set of tires from dealer - big problem. Thought I read a class action coming out soon.

Originally Posted by mio
I owned an A4 , and a 330ci,

now, I got a 350z, and a tl, , all of them got similar price, and all of them got

better quality than my TL. And I don't think i need to do anything to change

anything, acura should do something to satisfied their customers.ok?

I love cars, I love my TL, and I just told a turth, told a experience!

I also wondring y u r so pissed? Don't fukin' bs me ok? bit ch about urself!
Old 05-14-2005, 06:51 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Yep.

I like the TL dash but as I mentioned above, and I'm sure many agree, it is a bit finicky when it comes to protectors / products etc.
Old 05-14-2005, 07:10 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Good evening Pure A,
Your right, arguing is not required. I also concur that my reference to your age was not the best way to begin a post. I neglected to include my age strictly for security purposes - besides, you know how us "older" folks are about "admitting" our age..
Seriously, a "word game" was also not my attempt. After working at a large dealership for 8+ years, I just know whether it was our fault as a dealer or the manufacturer, right or wrong, the customer would always speak "colorfully" using the manufacturers name...

Hopefully Obey gets his issues resolved without additional anguish.

Cheers
Old 05-14-2005, 09:00 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Good evening Pure A,
Your right, arguing is not required. I also concur that my reference to your age was not the best way to begin a post. I neglected to include my age strictly for security purposes - besides, you know how us "older" folks are about "admitting" our age..
Seriously, a "word game" was also not my attempt. After working at a large dealership for 8+ years, I just know whether it was our fault as a dealer or the manufacturer, right or wrong, the customer would always speak "colorfully" using the manufacturers name...

Hopefully Obey gets his issues resolved without additional anguish.

Cheers
Nice debate by both of you with good points and information.

Pure A, I could have gotten your point w/o the language and I agree with a lot of what you said. No age posted by me or needed imho but I'm 54, have had lots of new cars and many problems. The TL is about average or a little better so far but I knew what I was buying.
Old 05-14-2005, 10:27 PM
Luv my TL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

for everybody!!!

so what's basically the best interior cleaner (ex. armor all) out there? need to know. thanx
Old 05-15-2005, 03:10 AM
mio
Police

Originally Posted by nick04tl
compared to what?
if u r not new here, u can find out the reason why it sux easily from this community.
Old 05-15-2005, 03:11 AM
mio
Police

Originally Posted by TBone2004
What year Z? You got that tire issue? My buddy is going through lemon law as we speak. On his 5th set of tires from dealer - big problem. Thought I read a class action coming out soon.
2004 Z, no problems so far.
Old 05-15-2005, 03:26 AM
mio
Police

KJSmitty --

Ah, yes. The good old age attack. It's always the people who don't list their age that use it as a tool in an argument. For what reason, I don't know, and I don't care.

I made the same point about the detailing products as any others; I just happen to be more enthusiastic than others about a certain brand, and not so much with another. So I used different words to convey my point, and called Armor-All a piece of shit product... sue me.

This all comes down to word games, but Obey didn't list any of the other problems he has had with his car. All I know from his post is that his TL is two months old, and the dashboard has a scratch caused by a negligent dealership employee. He concluded his post by stating that he is disappointed with Acura quality.

Unlike you, I don't consider Acura build quality and dealership service level under a single term "Acura quality". Any damages caused by someone's negligence has nothing to do with "Acura quality". A scratch caused by an employee could happen at any dealership, not just Acura. Dealerships are an independent entity from Acura so it's not really fair to group and rate them together. I'm happy with the build quality of my TL-S, but I'm not happy with the dealership service.

But like I said, it's all word games. This is becoming stupid, and I really don't want to argue about it. The bottom line is that Acura is a good value for the money, although it has its problems. However, what car doesn't have problems?
TL-S? u don't even have a 04+TL?
Old 05-15-2005, 06:01 PM
6MT & LSD

Pure Adrenaline has an '03 TL-S

I have an 05 TL. I'm his brother.
Old 05-15-2005, 10:19 PM
Dragging knees in

Originally Posted by mio
TL-S? u don't even have a 04+TL?

No, but like ndx2 said, I'm his brother and I have access to his '05 TL 6-speed whenever I want (well, I'm away at school, but we trade cars when we feel like it).

UA5 and UA6 are very similar mechanically, and I'm a detail freak, so I think I'm more than qualified to debate on this topic despite the fact that I don't own a UA6 myself.
Old 06-28-2005, 03:57 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by mio
2004 Z, no problems so far.
Consider yourself lucky. The Z and its tire-feathering is one of the worst automotive problems I've ever heard. Many many Z owners go through full sets of front tires every few thousand miles and the dealers can't fix the cars.

This problem alone kept me from buying one.

People here get mad about rattles and maybe a scuff mark on the dash, but just imagine if you get your car aligned monthly and still have to replace your tires every 4-5K miles because of a manufacturing/engineering defect that Nissan cannot fix at the dealers!

The Audi A4's have the notorious oil sludge problem. Engines have been replaced due to it. It's very well known and documented with Audi owners. Hopefully the new 2.0T engine doesn't suffer from this problem.

BMW 330i... awesome car. I've owned 1 and loved it. There aren't really any major issues with this car that I know of, but I know people on the forums have random issues all the time. I just don't know of any consistent ones like the tire feathering Z and the oil sludging A4.

You've had some nice cars, but they have their issues and your ownership of them isn't enough of a statistical sample to say they are better than the TL. The only one that probably is better is the 330i, and you pay another $10K plus for that car!

I mod a couple of Porsche boards. The base 911's, which are $70,000 minimum, and up have had the dreaded Rear Main Seal failure which has caused many to get new engines! This problem hit the '02, '03', '04 models of 996's with the M96 engine. This from a company known as the cream of the crop of engineering.
Compare that to a dash rattle.

Or how about the one of many hundred new M3 owners that learned their cars engines just explode under hard use? BMW finally acknowledged the problem after denying it was anything but driver's fault for a year or more. That wasn't a very cheap car, but I'd call an engine grenading under your hood while cornering at high speeds a big problem.
THis problem will keep me from buying any of the new M5's. I'll wait a year before I even consider it.

Be happy w/ you TL's guys. For the $, it's easily the best car on the road. (non sports car)