3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dammit!-Just got beat by an infiniti g35???

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 01:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well since it appears that except for 6MT and 5AT all TLs are created equal and that all Gs are not it depending on what model you are talking about (04 / 05 and which tranny). Which paper you are looking at as well.

I would not call it lack of knowledge when it comes to pushing the car to the max, it could be called common sense or taking care of an ever depreciating asset.
Old 02-02-2005, 01:35 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by nikko
...lack of knowlege on how to push the car to max, hesitation, or simply VSA was not turned off before the race.
Meanwhile, your wording isn't too harsh...

Since Nov. 03, after my car break-in, I haven't lost to any G "sedans" yet 'cause I know when/who/how to compete with. If conditions ain't good for me, I won't race. And, most of time I won't do it.
Old 02-02-2005, 01:46 PM
05 BMW 745i, 07 BMW 335i

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was talking about 2005 G35 and 2005 Acura TL MT.
Data has been extracted from Consumers Reports.
Old 02-02-2005, 01:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Is it on here? And u do not answer the question which G coupe/sedan/sedan x and AT/MT
Old 02-02-2005, 02:18 PM
Burning Brakes

put a " Type R " sticker on the back of your car, it adds 15hp my friend, but I customize the "TYPE R" emblem with CAPS, and in CHROME , (also available in chrome RED, blue, or black), you can only buy thru me, I sell them at the price of $45.99. It's a scam, send your money away ! if you want to beat the G35, you need my chrome TYPE R!

also available in Type C for Crap!

Old 02-02-2005, 02:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
I do not understand why some people would claim that G35 is faster then TL??!!
If you take a closer look to specs you will notice how close these cars are from an acceleration standpoint. On paper TL is even a bit faster than G35.
Therefore in a G35-TL race situation everything boils down to the ability of drivers to get the most out of their cars. I've heard stories when G35s got smoked all the way by TLs and viceversa. The bottom line in every case was the same: lack of knowlege on how to push the car to max, hesitation, or simply VSA was not turned off before the race.
With that posted, I propose that there be a Nissan vs Honda event at a local track to see what pans out. (i.e.: Maxima/Altima/G35 vs AV6/TL/CL)

Just my !
Old 02-02-2005, 02:56 PM
EZZ
Burning Brakes

I do not understand why some people would claim that G35 is faster then TL??!!
If you take a closer look to specs you will notice how close these cars are from an acceleration standpoint. On paper TL is even a bit faster than G35.
Therefore in a G35-TL race situation everything boils down to the ability of drivers to get the most out of their cars. I've heard stories when G35s got smoked all the way by TLs and viceversa. The bottom line in every case was the same: lack of knowlege on how to push the car to max, hesitation, or simply VSA was not turned off before the race.
If you look at the 1/4 mile and trap times, the G35 SHOULD be faster in THEORY. That is with perfect cars, perfect drivers, etc, etc., etc... However, they cars at most are 0.1 to 0.2 seconds apart if that. The stock G35 sedan/coupe have both gotten 13.9 in the 1/4th. The fastest stock TL I've seen is 14.1. Thats very very very close and probably has more to do with what track/temp/humidity/elevation you are running at than anything else. On the street, whoever reacts first will win. At the track, reaction time doesn't matter in getting those times. The better driver will ALWAYS win given auto vs auto, stick vs. stick. BTW, the fastest G35 coupe time published to 60 is 5.5. The fastest G35 sedan is 5.6. The fastest A-spec TL is 5.6. The fastest TL is 5.8. Given these times, we can only conclude that both cars are slower than the vette
Old 02-02-2005, 03:42 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by F23A4
With that posted, I propose that there be a Nissan vs Honda event at a local track to see what pans out. (i.e.: Maxima/Altima/G35 vs AV6/TL/CL)

Just my !

Video please!

Does Toyota/ Lexus have anything to bring? My brother's IS 300 will not go. lol
Old 02-02-2005, 03:44 PM
G35 Freak

Hmm, that sounds like FUN!! Too bad I might have an M45 (replacing G35)by then. Oh well, i'll still take it to the track and have a little fun!! Nothing like a high 13 in a 4000 lb vehicle!!!
Old 02-02-2005, 04:25 PM
Instructor

If it were a coupe, the G35 should easily win. On christmas day however, I had a little stop light confrontation with a guy and his buddy in his G35 sedan. I was with my mother and sister in the car. For the first couple of seconds we were dead even, and then eventually I pulled away. I do think that the G35 series for Infiniti are great cars. I just went with Acura because of their quality and reliability. I previously had a '91 integra with close to 200K miles on the odometer before I got rid of it. And the car still ran like a champ!
Old 02-02-2005, 08:09 PM
Pro

Im down to participate in a local meet. That would be bitchin'. I'd love to see who has done what to their cars, for ideas. My acura is bone stock, minus subs, amp, and power cap(slows rather than makes faster, but sounds great). My friends and family clown me for being a car enthusiast. It's my expensive, grown-up hobbie. If the forum ever does coordinate a meeting, COUNT ME IN!
Old 02-03-2005, 07:32 AM
Three Wheelin'

when was the last time you owned an acura 91?

Originally Posted by glnn01
If it were a coupe, the G35 should easily win. On christmas day however, I had a little stop light confrontation with a guy and his buddy in his G35 sedan. I was with my mother and sister in the car. For the first couple of seconds we were dead even, and then eventually I pulled away. I do think that the G35 series for Infiniti are great cars. I just went with Acura because of their quality and reliability. I previously had a '91 integra with close to 200K miles on the odometer before I got rid of it. And the car still ran like a champ!
Acura quality IMHO has gone down hill since you last had an acura. I have owned 3 of them and I went with what I knew back when. Times I believe has changed. It is cheaper to build a car based on the global platform which has its price advantages and drawbacks.

I have never known anyone to have an issue with either the integra or the legend which back in the 80s was all they built...
Old 02-03-2005, 04:29 PM
I'm Cool

check this out:

http://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43130
Old 02-03-2005, 05:13 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Bobbydoedoe

I dont think G35 Sedan owners realize how ugly their car really is!! It has to be one of the ugliest cars made in the last decade!
Old 02-03-2005, 05:54 PM
G35 Freak

Originally Posted by DopeTL04
I dont think G35 Sedan owners realize how ugly their car really is!! It has to be one of the ugliest cars made in the last decade!
Yeah, just by checking out the thread, you can see how the Infiniti forums are MUCH different than the TL forums. THere is not one mention of how the TL SUCKS or anything immature out there. They all state how it is a great car, but they chose the G35 for its performance value. Pretty sad showing for the TL community over here! The above quote I think solidifies everything that I am saying.
Old 02-03-2005, 06:57 PM
Banned

Yeah, I don't quite get why people insist on bashing the G35, or vice versa. Oh well, I guess people do it to feel better about their purchase.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:08 PM
Racer

Man....these threads are getting so old. Why do you people even care??? Just enjoy your rides. They're both great cars.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:44 PM
Pro

I've driven both and the 05 TL had no torque that I can feel any ways. I've driven a g35 auto and 350z 6spd. Those are pretty torquey motors.
Old 02-03-2005, 08:09 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by TLover
Yeah, I don't quite get why people insist on bashing the G35, or vice versa. Oh well, I guess people do it to feel better about their purchase.

yeah, seriously....I would have got the G35 if there were not so many of them. At the time I hardly saw any TL's on the road so I decided to get the TL. The G35's are sweet, if I had the cash I would buy both, its difficult to say one is better than the other because there are only 100000 different things to discuss.
Old 02-03-2005, 11:18 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by D_Nyholm
Yeah, just by checking out the thread, you can see how the Infiniti forums are MUCH different than the TL forums. THere is not one mention of how the TL SUCKS or anything immature out there. They all state how it is a great car, but they chose the G35 for its performance value. Pretty sad showing for the TL community over here! The above quote I think solidifies everything that I am saying.
Bullshit, we've seen this on Infiniti forums, Lexus forums, etc. This is not just here. Every week there is a thread like this and every week someone interjects how the G35, (or whatever car it might be) blows the TL away, and there's no comparison. Then there is a comment like this when someone fights or argues his opinion regarding the car they own back.

Who gives a shit, drive you car and have fun! They are both great cars, with different purposes in mind.

Edit: I thought the mods were going to lock/delete comparo posts. What happened to that?
Old 02-04-2005, 12:12 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by DopeTL04
Fuckheads like this guy makes this forum and TL'ers look so childish...
Old 02-04-2005, 12:17 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Originally Posted by ClnOB
F**kheads like this guy makes this forum and TL'ers look so childish...
And your language doesn't put you in the same category?
Old 02-04-2005, 12:52 AM
Pro

Whoa!!! sorry for starting a thread that degrades the entire forum. Im new, but now I know. But anyway, im still trying to get somewhere. What can I do for the most 'bang-for-your-buck'. Intake and exhaust are a good start, im sure, but I want MORE!. Who has nos? Any good experiences, or perhaps a record of any issues that arrise, or advice,blah blah. I want it, but dont know enough about it-Im scared, i guess, to mess up such a nice car. But if I can get away with having nos and no damage to my car, im all for it. Thanks
Old 02-04-2005, 12:53 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by bayTL
In a straight line you are correct to a point. I could have supercharged my RSX-S and would have been a screamer, to a point. To me driving is much more than 1/4 and 0-60 runs and times. To me the endless talk on all boards about 1/4 and 0-60 times is boring. I like to power out of apexes, shift, turn, and do fun things like that. Have the wheels turned and power out of a turn with a TL, especially on a not smooth road, and you get torque steer. The main ingredient in any of these things is the driver.
I agree,People say how Superior the TSX is at Cornering over the TL and Its funny that i have out cornered 2 of them.Its not the car but the driver.My friends that have a RSX-S and Civic Si(2000) with suspension mods congrats me on the corning i can do with the TL (04)Suspension.They wonder what it will do with a modded suspenion.And if any TSX owner that lives in Tacoma-Seattle that wants to test me just post it and we get it on camera.
Old 02-04-2005, 08:14 AM
G35 Freak

Originally Posted by apwalsh
Bullshit, we've seen this on Infiniti forums, Lexus forums, etc. This is not just here. Every week there is a thread like this and every week someone interjects how the G35, (or whatever car it might be) blows the TL away, and there's no comparison. Then there is a comment like this when someone fights or argues his opinion regarding the car they own back.

Who gives a shit, drive you car and have fun! They are both great cars, with different purposes in mind.

Edit: I thought the mods were going to lock/delete comparo posts. What happened to that?
Well, i've been on the G35 (freshalloy) forum for about 3 years now. To be honest, i have seen these thread, but they never get out of hand. If they do, the next poster will bring it right back in line to a civilized conversation. I can't say if g35driver, 6MT.net, and my350z are the same though. It seems as though my350z has a lot more childish people on it. Freshalloy seems to be the most mature group out there, that is really why I stay. With every negative comment they may say about a car, they alsways add a positive as well (i.e., poor handling, excellent ride comfort). Not sure what you are reading.
Old 02-04-2005, 09:05 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by D_Nyholm
Well, i've been on the G35 (freshalloy) forum for about 3 years now. To be honest, i have seen these thread, but they never get out of hand. If they do, the next poster will bring it right back in line to a civilized conversation. I can't say if g35driver, 6MT.net, and my350z are the same though. It seems as though my350z has a lot more childish people on it. Freshalloy seems to be the most mature group out there, that is really why I stay. With every negative comment they may say about a car, they alsways add a positive as well (i.e., poor handling, excellent ride comfort). Not sure what you are reading.

You never specified fresh alloy as the Infiniti forums, you just generalized your original post to say" This never happens on the Infiniti forums" (or something closeto that quote, excuse my laziness to go back and get exact ). It sounded like you meant all Infiniti forums.

I just bounce around those forums because I am remotely thinking about buying a G35 Coupe for a second car. I cannot cite examples from those forums, but l browse them all and have seen this same thread at almost all of them. Sometimes civilized, sometimes not.

There are an equal number of jerks driving both of theses cars, and since these cars fall directly in competetion within the "Mommy-and-Daddy-just-bought-me-a-car" demographic, that number of jerks is relatively much higher than other makes/models. That's why we see these threads turn ugly. Nothing wrong with a little competition, but there is something wrong with not being able to accept the facts.
Old 02-04-2005, 09:32 AM
G35 Freak

In that case, you may want to hang around Freshalloy more often instead of the other forums so you can get some unbiased information on your purchase. I am sorry for not being specific about which site I come from, I also assumed that freshalloy was one of the biggest sites out there and most people post on it. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 02-04-2005, 09:42 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by JOES05tl
Whoa!!! sorry for starting a thread that degrades the entire forum. Im new, but now I know. But anyway, im still trying to get somewhere. What can I do for the most 'bang-for-your-buck'. Intake and exhaust are a good start, im sure, but I want MORE!. Who has nos? Any good experiences, or perhaps a record of any issues that arrise, or advice,blah blah. I want it, but dont know enough about it-Im scared, i guess, to mess up such a nice car. But if I can get away with having nos and no damage to my car, im all for it. Thanks

I'm waiting for the supercharger but I'm willing to bet that a 50-75 single fogger wet shot would be safe, get a purge too.
Oh yeah, and a bottle warmer and a bottle opener if you want to spend a little bit more. But there definetely are ways to install it where it is clean and can be uninstalled if warranty work is called for.
Old 02-04-2005, 11:33 AM
Pro

Do you think it will positively be safe? What damage, if any, might occur? Do you have nos? THANKS!
Old 02-04-2005, 12:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Nos...

I have not played with NOS since modding an older civic. I would wonder ask myself if it was a great idea on the 3.2 since the compression is already up there (11-1) and anything that might result from NOS, etc.

I know warranties might still be good even with superchargers, but it could mean a shorter and more problem prone engine/ tranny with the extra power...

has anyone used NOS on a 3G and have dyno slips to show what improvement they have seen?
Old 02-04-2005, 01:52 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by jafo
And your language doesn't put you in the same category?

Thank you! I was just telling the truth without the immature vulgar language. At least we know who the immature people really are!
Old 02-04-2005, 03:55 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by JOES05tl
Do you think it will positively be safe? What damage, if any, might occur? Do you have nos? THANKS!
No experience with the TL and NOS, I will just bet on it being safe. I've shot NOS on my S2K which also has high compression and it held up just fine. Too much boost at once (like nos) will make your bottom end give at some point.

like i said, a small shot will be fine and help a whole lot, ...IMO.
Old 02-05-2005, 02:09 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by ONAGER
how you figure? from a roll in the right gear the 2 cars should be almost a dead heat.

from a roll torque isnt going to be a deciding factor as the car is already moving..
hp is the biggest thing, why do you think the torque-less wonder (s2000) was so fast? it had 240hp and a lighter weight.... you have to make sure your in the cars power band. thats also why the fwd tl was able to keep up 0-60 with the G35, hp is what makes good #'s if you know how to use it.

g 35 05 manual
3,512 lbs, 298hp....
power/weight= 11.78

04/05 TL Manual
3,482 lbs, 270hp....
power/weight= 12.89

04 g35 manual
3,512 lbs, 277 hp....
power/weight= 12.67

03 g35 auto
3,512 lbs, 260hp
power/weight= 13.50

what does this show? well it shows that the new (05) g35 will be quicker from a roll, but it shows the older models are spot on with where the tl is.... also at a roll, lessens the effect of fwd, especially a roll from 50mph.....
ONAGER:

A note on your power/weight #s for the Infiniti. The '04 G35 coupe 6mt weighs in @ 3,450 lbs. = 12.32 lbs/hp. You are correct on the '05 coupe 6mt @ 3,512 lbs. and 298 hp.

I drove an '04 TL auto yesterday as a loaner, while my wife's '02 3.2TL-S was in for an oil change, tranny flush + some other minor items. The current TL is definitely a notch up on the previous gen, a nice car in itself. Aside from the improved interior, the power delivery on the highway seemed more linear than the '02. Car had 15,000 miles on the odo. and I liked the heavier, more solid feedback from the wheel. Problem is, my wife liked it too!

Although I only had about 40 miles in the '04 TL (mostly highway), my sense is that the G35 coupe 6mt would hold an edge when driving 9/10ths or at considerable speeds. Just an opinion.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:10 AM
I know, I'm just a kid

Learn how to drive and get ur timing right. my friend has a modded legend and beat a modded gt mustang
Its all about timing
Old 04-07-2005, 11:15 AM
Az User

Received 2,559 Likes on 1,708 Posts
Originally Posted by jhunter9999
Why is this guy going that fast with 2 kids in his car?
i agree
Old 04-07-2005, 11:19 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
...dug deep to resurrect this thread.
Old 04-07-2005, 02:31 PM
T-op L-ine Racer

gotta realize too, that the TL is bigger and more heavy than the infiniti. My bf raced this TSX one time and it was keeping up with his TL because its a lighter car. Get that intake to add some horsepower.
Old 04-07-2005, 03:04 PM
EZZ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by T uff L uck cant cach me!
gotta realize too, that the TL is bigger and more heavy than the infiniti. My bf raced this TSX one time and it was keeping up with his TL because its a lighter car. Get that intake to add some horsepower.
Something may be wrong with your bf's TL. The TSX is really really slow.
Old 04-07-2005, 03:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by T uff L uck cant cach me!
up to date, there has not been a TSX that can take my TL nor Accord V6 coupe.

Enuff Said

My TL isn't stock
Old 04-07-2005, 04:25 PM
Spinnin them beats

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
nvr seen a 04-05 TL with nos.......
i do think the 4 DOOR G35 is a little..... bad looking in my taste.... and if this is immature, im only 13 so cut me some slack

Quick Reply: Dammit!-Just got beat by an infiniti g35???