Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Current Deals on 06 TL's w/Aspec

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 05:27 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Current Deals on 06 TL's w/Aspec

Sorry about the previous thread but it wasnt just about a head on comparison of the TL vs the IS.....I am trying to get user feedback on the TL and thats what the point of my thread was. Another point of my thread was to figure out what is the current best deal possible for an Acura TL non navi with the A-Spec setup. I refuse to get this car without the A-spec setup since it doesnt look that great to me without it just as the 03 TL. But the dealer told me for A-Spec it costs 6k...So if I tack on another 6k to the base price, guessing I could get it for 31k that brings me past the price of the IS and its pointless to buy a TL then....Again no comparison vs the IS just want to know about the pricing with A-spec out the door. Thank you.
Old 01-28-2006, 07:07 PM
Banned

You need to do some research because you obviously havent.

You can get a partially loaded IS250 for about 37k, but you're not getting anything but a base IS350 for 37k.

How about you go price them out with the features you want and figure it out?
Old 01-28-2006, 07:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,617 Likes on 2,195 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum. Ignore the above poster. You ask some reasonable questions. Let me address those that I can:

Originally Posted by pivo154
Sorry about the previous thread but it wasnt just about a head on comparison of the TL vs the IS.....I am trying to get user feedback on the TL and thats what the point of my thread was.
If you click on "2 year review" in my signature, you will get a pretty good idea of the long-term maintenance for this car. Mine was an early build car, an '06 will have the kinks my car had worked out, pretty much.

Another point of my thread was to figure out what is the current best deal possible for an Acura TL non navi with the A-Spec setup. I refuse to get this car without the A-spec setup since it doesnt look that great to me without it just as the 03 TL. But the dealer told me for A-Spec it costs 6k...So if I tack on another 6k to the base price, guessing I could get it for 31k that brings me past the price of the IS and its pointless to buy a TL then....Again no comparison vs the IS just want to know about the pricing with A-spec out the door. Thank you.
Man, let ME know where I can get a TL A-Spec with OR without a navi for only 31k. Are you sure you're not talking about the TSX? Or made a typo? I don't think anyone has gotten THAT good a deal here. Example:

TL w/o navi base price is $33325, and with is $35325, whether 6MT or 5AT. Some on the board are getting as much as $2k off the navi base price. As far as the A-Spec kit, paying $6k at the dealer is way too much. What many of us, myself included, have done, is to pay for the components of the A-Spec kit separately. That and installation together are a lot less than $6k. Even if your plan is to finance that $6k, there are the issue that $6k is still too much--there are some who've gotten the price for the package, installed to below $4k when purchased with the car.

I hope this helps some. A search for best price on the board will definitely help here. Good luck in your research!

Bob
Old 01-28-2006, 09:07 PM
10th Gear

Thank you Nerronbob for the thoughtful post and for not bashing me in this horrible situation Im in. Im really sorry guys if I havent researched but that was the point of my super long initial thread. I have been without a car for 4 months I need something ASAP and Ive narrowed it down to two cars. Knowing this car has been out for 3 years now Im thinking that getting a deal just a tad over invoice is not unreasonable? Now that I think about it the only things I would want from the A-Spec setup is the underbody effects and suspension, not really diggin the 18's. And how hard is it to order all these parts outside of Acura and how much will actually be saved with installation? I would really appreciate it if you guys could answer these for me.
Old 01-28-2006, 09:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Ah, now you're thinking.

The A-Spec suspension is the most important part of the package: it lowers the car 1/2" and basically gives a firmer ride without much loss of ride quality. For what it does, click on "review" in my signature. You can get it for $600-$700 on eBay and it can be installed for (depending on your area) $150-$400. The body kit (which I have finally ordered after 2 1/2 years with my car) looks good--There's a group buy going on right now where you can buy it shipped for $756. As far as wheels, head on over to the "Wheels and Suspension" subforum and do a little searching for what works--there are a lot of styles to be had.
Old 01-28-2006, 09:29 PM
10th Gear

Thank you neuronbob! You've been a ton of help. I plan to go test drive the TL whenever I have time next week. Im hoping that I like the power, handling ect since Ive already tested the IS 350 and G35 coupe so the TL has huge shoes to fill heh. The final most imporatnat question Im wondering is if I choose the non navi package how hard is it to get an aftermarket cd player/in dash EQ in the 06 TL's? It seems as if the front console is fused together (one huge piece) just like the new accords and also G35coupes.....ehh that sucks but is there any good inexpensive mods to allow aftermarket goodies?
Old 01-28-2006, 10:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Now this question I can't answer, but the audio subforum has some knowledgeable members who've made those mods. A word of advice: if you're thinking of a navi, just buy a navi model to prevent buyer's remorse. There are too many tales of woe on this site when someone realizes that they should've bought a navi.
Old 01-29-2006, 06:56 AM
Wants an M3 in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
some members have changed out the factory HU ... but it doesnt look that good (imo). I say just keep the factory radio ... audio upgrades can still be done!
Old 01-29-2006, 03:28 PM
Instructor

i don't understand why people on here have to get crazy when newcomers ask questions... doesn't anyone have more to do than sit at their pc all day and attack someone who asks a question that has already been discussed in other threads... if someone new comes looking for advice, ignore them if you feel its redundant. otherwise don't sweat this website and log on every second. naturally, if you're on here long enough, you will see the same stuff brought up from time and time again.

while searching this forum in most cases will answer a lot of these questions, some people either are looking for other responses or aren't searching properly... in any case, take it easy.

it takes a lot less energy to not click on a thread and comment than it does to just overlook it and move on. the info on this site is tremendous and has probably in some way helped every member here. lets keep that going without all the bs.
Old 01-29-2006, 06:30 PM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
Now this question I can't answer, but the audio subforum has some knowledgeable members who've made those mods. A word of advice: if you're thinking of a navi, just buy a navi model to prevent buyer's remorse. There are too many tales of woe on this site when someone realizes that they should've bought a navi.
I would definitely suggest you get the navi. I got non-navi and have been regretting it ever since. I thought I wouldn't use it, I already knew my way around, etc., but have missed it on road trips and even around town finding new addresses, etc.. Plus, in retrospect, I think it looks so much better than the masked off non-navi deck. The dealer will not install it for you after the fact (even if you buy the expensive parts (approx $6k from acura parts) or hunt them down at a junkyard). Navi is a $2k factory installed option, think twice before passing it up.

BTW, there's one guy who did the swap, but it took quite a bit of install work, custom harness fabrication and hunting for junkyard parts. Search the audio forum for more details of what he did if you're interested.
Old 02-04-2006, 11:20 PM
10th Gear

Well the thing is using the stock acura head unit would not sound as good as using an aftermarket head unit. If your going to go all out with amplifiers, new speakers, ect ect it would be a good idea to replace the factory head unit as well since it will limit you a lot in tuning the system...I just dont think I will miss not having navi and saving that extra 2k....Now as the Aspec situation goes Im first going to see what deal the dealer can give me before I make a decision. It just might be more of a hassle than its worth to go buying parts off ebay and getting acura to install it...
Old 02-05-2006, 01:47 AM
Racer

Well the thing is using the stock acura head unit would not sound as good as using an aftermarket head unit. If your going to go all out with amplifiers, new speakers, ect ect it would be a good idea to replace the factory head unit as well since it will limit you a lot in tuning the system...I just dont think I will miss not having navi and saving that extra 2k....Now as the Aspec situation goes Im first going to see what deal the dealer can give me before I make a decision. It just might be more of a hassle than its worth to go buying parts off ebay and getting acura to install it...
If you're planning a full system upgrade, note that the factory head unit has 1V preamp outs for all 6 channels. You can tap the harness either immediately behind the factory deck, or in the front passenger kick panel where the factory amp is. Also, you can add a line driver if you really want to minimize line noise. Drop in an EQ (e.g. 6 ch Audiocontrol DQS) which gives you quite a bit of flexability for tuning the system (granted not from the dash, but they do have a DDC wired remote for tuning from the drivers seat or outside the car - when using an analyzer for tuning).

Also I believe the hands free link has a dependency on the factory deck for phone output & auto mute so you're likely to lose that if you drop an aftermarket deck in.

My issue with the factory system is that it sounds pretty good at lower levels but when you crank the volume it starts to lack clarity and bass. However unless you play it really loud -and- demand that it be crystal clear, clean, and have deep bass at those levels the stock system does a pretty good job.

If you're not looking to drop serious $$$ into a full upgrade a good compromise would be to get a nice line level or custom sub (10 or 12) in the trunk (removing the old one in the rear deck) and dynomatting the front doors, trunk, and rear deck. Acura actaully spent quite a bit of effort tuning the factory system (factory EQ is embedded in the factory amp) so you could save some $$$ by trying to take advantage of this (i.e. using dynomat+sub to shore it up without replacing it). Adding the dynomat will make it louder/cleaner/and add bass (esp mid bass from the front doors). Doing a custom sub and dynomat in the trunk would round out the low end. Not only that, but with dynomat you get a vault like thud when you close your doors.

If you already know you're going for the full system, I'd just tap the preamp outs at the factory amp and lay down your system from there. You get to keep all the integrated HFL functionality and could still get navi.

My
Old 02-05-2006, 01:53 AM
Racer

I'd get your Aspec from AofE on ebay and have the dealer install after you buy your car. Sales will only try and get you to order the whole kit. Most dealers should install the parts you supply, mine did. Note that AofE is an Acura dealership so you still get warrenty on the parts.
Old 02-05-2006, 06:28 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by bTwix
I'd get your Aspec from AofE on ebay and have the dealer install after you buy your car. Sales will only try and get you to order the whole kit. Most dealers should install the parts you supply, mine did. Note that AofE is an Acura dealership so you still get warrenty on the parts.
...the magic of the Interweb....

Sounds like you have big plans for the audio system. You might as well go aftermarket on the navi, too, it could cost less. I'm sure you've seen some of the hookups in the audio forum already, I wish I had that kind of skill.
Old 02-05-2006, 02:55 PM
10th Gear

bTwix: My issue with the factory system is that it sounds pretty good at lower levels but when you crank the volume it starts to lack clarity and bass. However unless you play it really loud -and- demand that it be crystal clear, clean, and have deep bass at those levels the stock system does a pretty good job?????
This is exactly the point of an aftermarket system-loud, crystal clear bass/highs ect ect..I just do not feel comfortable with stock head unit to push my 2,000 dollar setup it limits everything so much since the head unit is the central part of an audio system. No stock system including speakers, subs, cd player will ever compare to what I have...This audio situation is making me think twice about the TL now...I think the Lexus cd player is actually seperate from the AC ect....Retarded ass honda/acura.....
Old 02-05-2006, 03:01 PM
10th Gear

neuronbob I proably would not do navi and if I was Id just get it from acura. But the thing is I already have all the audio parts waiting to be installed: this includes an eclipse cd player, PPI in dash EQ, 1 400 watt amp, 1 600 watt amp, 2 arc audio subwoofers, and an outboard Xover plus front/rear component speakers handmade in Germany very high end sound quality system, not a boomy crappy sounding setup. I need to see pictures of someone who has installed something like the above before I go buy this car. If anyone has links or PM of someone who I can ask please let me know.