cross-country shipping of TL

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008 | 02:39 PM
8th Gear

Unhappy cross-country shipping of TL

I need to ship my 08 TL by Reindeer auto relocation company almost 2000 miles. They seem to have very good reputation, but I'd like to hear here:
1. Did anybody shipped TL by them or any other company? Or any other car?
2. What should I pay attention to during drop off and pickup? Do you guys have any suggestions about how to test drive it after the pickup to uncover common shipping-caused problems?
3. They want my Master key, but I think the Valet key should do. DOT said they have to be able to get to the trunk and glove box, which is possible with the Valet key.
All comments highly appreciated.
Peter

Just for your amusement, here is just one part from what the carrier is NOT responsible during shipment :
E. Mechanical functions involving and including but not limited to the engine, electrical system, exhaust assembly, alignment, suspension, brakes, transmission, frame, or tuning of vehicle being transported.
Old 03-29-2008 | 04:09 PM
Team Owner

Read the owner manual- the whole PURPOSE of the valet key is so you can hit the truck release lockout switch inside the glovebox ( that overrides the one on the door)- then lock the glovebox- lock the center pass thru into the trunk from rear seats and no one can access the trunk.
That allows you to secure your belongings and the valet has no access to them
Valet key opens door and starts car- thats all- wont work in glovebox lock

PM desper for info- he shipped his TL, things can get bent- dropped or otherwise damaged
Ask your insurance company about special coverage during the shipping
Look up Barrett Jackson car auctions- they will have links to shippers they trust with million dollar cars
Old 03-29-2008 | 04:53 PM
8th Gear

thanks,
In my case, I need to leave everything open (trunk and glove box) and so it seems the Valet key will do.

Anybody with some tips about a quick vehicle checkup? Or should I just go by general rules that apply for used car test drives?
Old 03-29-2008 | 09:02 PM
Morbid

Pay the extra $$$ to have your TL put on the top rack, either first or last car.

Write down the mileage before you hand over your key. Leave a post-it on the speedometer area of the mileage, makes someone think twice before 'moving' it off the truck for another car-(driving it around the block, or worse picture that scene from Ferris Bueller's day off)-.

Your bumpers probably will get nicked. I saw a guy take my friends 06 Civic off one of those carriers, he had it shipped from the U.S.V.I. to Maryland. The guy tapped every cars bumper into each other, his civic wound up with a puncture mark to the bumper from a Buick’s front tag.

His Civic was parked on the bottom row of the carrier. They parked a car on the top row, right above his civic, and the heat from the engine of the parked car burned the paint on the hood of his civic. It had to go to the body shop and it was a pain in the ASS to get the carrier to eat the cost.

Cover the fenders, hood, trunk and roof with that plastic dealer crap you see on the cars they ship from over seas.

Cover the seats with plastic, those truck drivers gotta climb under other cars & the truck to hook up chains and stuff. It's not a clean job and you don’t want gravel and grime smoooshed into your nice leather seat

As you hand over the keys tell them that you just got out of jail for MURDER and cannot drive it because you haven’t gotten your license yet, but you’ll be anxiously waiting at the destination for your car.....Then say your were innoccent, it was the other guys fault you had to kill him because he scratched the paint on your previous car.
Old 03-29-2008 | 09:13 PM
Team Owner

a test drive wont show a damaged frame from dropping the car off the loading ramp.
Have you even looked at the internet listing and websites of shippers
Like I said before- ones that move exotics and racers are the people to use
Its about 2 grand to have it shipped in a sealed type truck, NOT exposed to the elements, may as well drive it yourself if thats the case.
Truckers have no time or desire to drive your car around the block!
Placing plastic covers- durable ones- on the seat and steering wheel are good advice from the above post. Homeless or transients- maybe even a recently released convict, may try to sneak into a car and catch a free ride.
This is avoided by using the enclosed truck company.

Whats the issue with giving them a real key? It cannot be copied easily or quickly- then has to be programmed to your car....
You can also have the car driven on the roads for you- look in the phone book- auto relocation services
Old 03-29-2008 | 09:24 PM
Morbid

Like I said before- ones that move exotics and racers are the people to use

Truckers have no time or desire to drive your car around the block!
...Depends on the company you use. Best to go with exotic shippers. Use the budget ones and you get what you pay for.
Old 03-30-2008 | 09:09 AM
08 NBP Type S Sucka !!

i know people that ship cars for a living and yes...they do drive your cars.if they have to stop across country and load up in a hotel and have to go out,they will take your car.write down your mileage just to be safe.and also pay more to not be the last car on the bottom,LOL
Old 03-30-2008 | 11:46 AM
Acuras Only in

Originally Posted by murkedout-typeS
i know people that ship cars for a living and yes...they do drive your cars.if they have to stop across country and load up in a hotel and have to go out,they will take your car.write down your mileage just to be safe.and also pay more to not be the last car on the bottom,LOL
Very true indeed ... the ones lineup outside are the ones taken for a spin most likely ...
Old 03-30-2008 | 01:21 PM
Team Owner

There may be a few ziners willing to gently drive your new baby for you, just post the cities you need it from-to and wait for the PMs.

Invest in ClearBra or some cheapo setup to protect the nose.
Old 03-30-2008 | 04:48 PM
Turd Polisher

You could get more acquainted with your vehicle and drive it 2000 miles .
Old 03-30-2008 | 06:09 PM
Stacking chips.

I had my car shipped from Acura of Boston to Charlotte, NC. Was about $550, no problems. I would do it again. Especially since there was a blizzard in Boston at the time. Sit my happy ass in my warm, safe, house and just wait for the car.
Old 03-30-2008 | 06:33 PM
My first Avatar....

Originally Posted by TylerT
You could get more acquainted with your vehicle and drive it 2000 miles .
Old 03-30-2008 | 06:49 PM
16’ RLX SH-AWD

I had mine ('05 TL) shiped from Florida to Kansas City. The biggest thing to pay attention to is the amount the shipping company keeps and the amount the drivers get.

What I mean is, you might have a quote for $700 from two companies. Company A keeps $200 and offers the driver $500 to move it. Company B keeps $100 and offers the drive $600 to move it.

Check http://www.transportreviews.com/.

I orginally had A AAAdvantage Auto Transport to move my vehicle, mainly because they advertised on the dealer site and thought there was a relationship there. It took them 14 days to tell me that they couldn't ship my vehicle. Told me that I would receive a refund and ended up disputing it with my CC. Quoted $725, Offering the drive $525.

I used Browns Auto Transport and she secured a driver in two hours. Quoted $750, Offering $650. I spoke to Darla and she was able to see the previous listing and told me why it was going to move. Based on that and I wanted my car because I was tired of waiting. I offered a bonus if it moved that day. She came through.

They put my car on the bottom right behind the truck CAB. The only downside was it had rained durning the trip and my car was very dirty. Other wise I am very happy with the service.

Hope all of that helps
Old 03-31-2008 | 11:42 AM
8th Gear

Thanks guys,
It sounds like some companies/drivers do very good and some very poor job.
Unfortunately, shipping of my car is a part of my relocation package, so I cannot choose the company. I was assured that the Reindeer is one of the best.
I was thinking for some time to drive it by myself, but I don't want to add to the 10000 miles that I have on it already. And it could get scratched/chipped in the process as well.
It sounds like covering the driver's seat with a plastic is a good idea. I'm also thinking to take pictures/video before and during the loading, maybe for some insurance purposes (that I hope I will never need).

Maybe little off topic. Is there a way to download from TL's computer some data about performance? (max speed, RPM...) It looks like all this is being monitored and collected, but where is it stored and how to access it?
Old 03-31-2008 | 12:04 PM
Drifting

I would recommend DAS Autoshippers. I have used them moving cars across the country (DC to LA, then LA to MO). They are great, NEVER any damage.

Pay the extra money for on top.

This link will help you with what to do before shipping.

http://www.dasautoshippers.com/before-you-ship.html

I took pictures of before they took delivery, and compared to when the car was delivered.

DAS will also send out a flatbed to pick your car up if you choose. Which I did, beats having to drop the car off at the pickup location and have to get a ride back to wherever you need to be.

DAS till I die!!!

Also, make note of mileage, when you receive the car it should not have more than 1 mile from when you gave it to them.

DAS also offers insurance too. Which is HIGHLY recommended
Old 03-31-2008 | 09:42 PM
05 TL

How much does this cost? I have loaded a huge 80ish Cadillac in to the back of a regular 18 Wheeler Trailer... Im sure it sucked for someone to back out, but it fit.

It was just a move across Texas, and the trucker was the one getting the Cadillacs.

The secret is using a flat bed tow truck to get the car at the same height as the truck.