!!!CRASHED 2006 TL repair and sell? keep? !WHERE

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006 | 06:08 PM
10th Gear

Unhappy !!!CRASHED 2006 TL repair and sell? keep? !WHERE

hey everyone i really need your help.
So i bought a NEW TL 2006 in Nov 2005 and IT CRASHED . The car has 2800 miles on it. Navigation and tints automatic. For 38000 with tax. The stupid part is i didnt buy full coverage nor collision. I don't know what to do. We towed it back to the dealer and i cant possibly pay for the price they suggested. Does anyone know a reliable and affordable body shop in NYC.

AFter i fix it what should i do? how much is it worth now? say the repair is 10 g.. ebay? Please help me out!! .. the interior is in perfect condition and wun xeon headlight is fine. i do not have the full report on damages. Thanks guys
Old 03-08-2006 | 06:13 PM
Dr. Feelgood

Not to be mean, but what were you thinking? It's a brand new car and you didn't get full coverage? Wow! I don't think there's much you can do but pay for the repairs, unless it's the other person's fault (that is if it was with another vehicle).
Old 03-08-2006 | 06:21 PM
Instructor

You have to have full coverage if you bought the car via a loan. The dealership has to call and confirm the amounts before he hands you the keys.

Also how bad is the damage? Any pictures?
Old 03-08-2006 | 06:23 PM
Dragging knees in

I hope your next post is "haha, gotcha with my first post!!".... for your own sake.

Otherwise, you're SOL. No collision coverage means it's coming out of your wallet.

Did you, by any chance, buy the gap insurance? If you did, then you might be in luck.
Old 03-08-2006 | 06:24 PM
Former Whyner

Old 03-08-2006 | 06:33 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by shaker31280
You have to have full coverage if you bought the car via a loan. The dealership has to call and confirm the amounts before he hands you the keys.

Also how bad is the damage? Any pictures?
Yeah, I agree. I am assuming he bought the car for cash.

Old 03-08-2006 | 07:42 PM
I'm in

You can strip it and sell the parts! Dibs on Navi system ......
Old 03-08-2006 | 07:56 PM
Supreme Underlord/Abyss

*IT* crashed?

Ummm...

I assume YOU were in control of the car (maybe not so much) so how did *it* crash?

Did you set the cruise control and take a nap??

Old 03-08-2006 | 08:02 PM
Undercover Slacker

Ouch!
Old 03-08-2006 | 08:31 PM
Advanced

Thumbs down

You are either lying or you are stupid (or maybe both).

If you took a loan to purchase the car, you will not be allowed to drive off the dealer lot without the dealer getting proof of full coverage from an insurance company.
If on the other hand you put down $38,000 cash for a car, and drove it for 2,800 miles without insurance, then you are stupid.

Or maybe you just saw a damaged car someplace and are wondering how much you can get for it if/after you fix it.

Whatever the reason, come clean with the facts and maybe you will get some real help.
Old 03-08-2006 | 10:12 PM
10th Gear

yes no insurance paid in full after a month or two. Yeah definately a bad idea. wasnt much of the other car's fault. Heres a picture of it. Yeah looks pretty bad. it was very hot lookin b4 the accident. Sigh. okay. what do you think? repair no? everythin inside and back is fully functional the car drove a shortshort distance.
Old 03-08-2006 | 10:18 PM
Team Nighthawk Member

oh shit.. dam... i dont know what to tell you but if you decide to strip it and sell.. i would like to get some stuff from it..
Old 03-08-2006 | 10:18 PM
Instructor

That car is most likely totaled. Well, without insurance, I don't know if you would say totaled... There is definitely frame damage. You were able to DRIVE that car!? How did you even see out the windshield?
Old 03-08-2006 | 10:25 PM
10th Gear

reverse.. onto the dumb tow truck. yeah cant drive. probably kill it.. idono. everythin is so new .. strip it? can sumwun give me the prices of the parts that can be sold for? and the windows are perfect and interior with nav and seats etc. thinkin g about fixing it for 10 g. =\ and then selling it. once again no insurance. im having a really bad week
Old 03-08-2006 | 10:29 PM
Team Nighthawk Member

now if you fix it the car will come out to be about 49,000 lets say and if you sell it you definately wont get back close to that..
Old 03-08-2006 | 10:32 PM
10th Gear

u think its possible to sell for 33 or 30 after fix? i mean i think tats a reasonable price..
Old 03-08-2006 | 10:40 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by HYBNO
yes no insurance paid in full after a month or two. Yeah definately a bad idea. wasnt much of the other car's fault. Heres a picture of it. Yeah looks pretty bad. it was very hot lookin b4 the accident. Sigh. okay. what do you think? repair no? everythin inside and back is fully functional the car drove a shortshort distance.
sorry but that looks bad. you definately have frame damage. If you decide to fix it, start callin junk yards and see if they have the same year TL there.. I will give you the numbers to the local junk yards in my city if u deice to fix and looking for certain parts.
Old 03-08-2006 | 10:46 PM
Instructor

Any insurance company would pronounce the car totaled. Seriously how every one else said if you do fix considering is a 3g TL the parts ae hard to find and very expensive. I would suggest you sell the car how it is. YOu can maybe get about 8,000-10,000 tops because I was looking at crashed TLs and they were going for about 10,000 to 12,000 and the crash was not as bad as that one. Good Luck if you want to sell the car let me know. I know some companies that buy crashed cars.
Old 03-08-2006 | 11:45 PM
10th Gear

i think the car is worth more 12000 salvaged
Old 03-09-2006 | 01:27 AM
Advanced

Good luck with that....it really sucks....did you make it out without any scratches? What happened? How fast were you going?
Old 03-09-2006 | 08:38 AM
Intermediate

u think its possible to sell for 33 or 30 after fix? i mean i think tats a reasonable price..
No! A used TL with prior accident will probably go for 28K-30K with the mileage you have. Try to sell it on Ebay. You might get over 12K since you didn't report it so the title is still a clean title and not salvage. If the airbags are intact it's worth 1K more. I have a friend in the Salvage business in NYC that might give you a better estimate of what it will go on the market. He works at Atlantic Ave in Brooklyn. Good luck and too bad about the accident.
Old 03-09-2006 | 09:25 AM
Instructor

I can't believe you bought a 35k car and didn't insure it.

You had no car payments. If your insurance was 2k a year and thats pushing it that would be 165 a month. If you couldn't afford 165 a month then you should of never paid 35k cash for a car. Really stupid.

You should of paid 25k for a car and took the 10k and insured it for 5 years.

I still can't believe someone would not insure their car. What if it got stolen? Then you would be out the whole 35k. I guess your lucky you are only out 25k now.
Old 03-09-2006 | 09:52 AM
Cruisin'

If you had no insurance or less insurance for collission you are a moron and deserve to out 38k. As far as devaluation, I had an 03 type s and after the 2nd HID theft I tried to get rid of it. As soon as the guy opened the hood he knew something was wrong although cosmetically and mechanically, the car was a 10. He offered my 18k when the car had a kelly value of 27k. I laughed in his face and left and kept the car until 3 weeks ago when I got my new 06. So your car is done you will be eating tons of money but again I think it's your own fault.
Old 03-09-2006 | 10:23 AM
Instructor

Whether or not its totaled depends alot on the damage underneath. I smashed my 05 in very similar way in December, although mine wasn't drivable due to wheel damage and crushed battery that made an interesting science experiment on the road.

I was so sure that it was totaled that I had the car held in towing company lot until Allstate could look at. They estimated 13k originally. In the end, it wound up costing 19k, so it should have been totaled

I'm going to suffer mightily when I trade it, but I am not going to lie about it.

I had the body shop that's owned by dealership's parent company do all the work to minimize any finger pointing in the future.

Here's the wierd thing - I have had the back for about three weeks now and I haven't been able to find anything wrong with. The doors still shut with same solid thump. There are not squeeks or rattles. The body shop took about two months to fix it. I really didn't press them about the time, as I didn't want them to rush - and hey, I got to enjoy a four cylinder Camery the who time it was being reparied.

It rides just like it did, and tracks perfectly. I had already been car shopping when I picked it up, but now I am thinking about keeping it for a while.
Old 03-09-2006 | 12:16 PM
Dr. Feelgood

Car problems aside, if you said that it isn't the other person's fault then you may have more than just repair problems. You'll be spending alot of time in court and dishing out money to pay for the other car invlolved as well. Good luck man!
Old 03-09-2006 | 12:32 PM
10th Gear

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Gauradz67
sorry but that looks bad. you definately have frame damage. If you decide to fix it, start callin junk yards and see if they have the same year TL there.. I will give you the numbers to the local junk yards in my city if u deice to fix and looking for certain parts.
You're gonna have to count this experience as a lesson to be learned and a REAL loss. I live in NJ and it's required to have your vehicle covered even if it's on cinder blocks in your driveway. It's not worth the finances to get your car repaired. There will always be something wrong with it especially after looking at the damage it took. You may have to work 2 jobs for a year to recoup your losses ....Peace....HnSoloJRE
Old 03-09-2006 | 12:40 PM
Advanced

I'm still waiting for the "Haha, early April Fools joke!" from the OP. This whole thing doesn't make a whole lotta sense. If you have the cash to pay off the car in a couple months for such a nice car, why wouldn't you have insurance? This ain't a beater car. I smell bogus.
Old 03-09-2006 | 12:41 PM
Forced Induction

You wil prolly get the biggest return if you fix it and sell it, you deff will not like the return for selling it as is, try to fix it and keep the title clean and sell it.

Parting a car out like that will also not yeild close to enough to cover the costs..........not even half the costs.......
Old 03-09-2006 | 12:42 PM
Forced Induction

Originally Posted by montyburnz
I'm still waiting for the "Haha, early April Fools joke!" from the OP. This whole thing doesn't make a whole lotta sense. If you have the cash to pay off the car in a couple months for such a nice car, why wouldn't you have insurance? This ain't a beater car. I smell bogus.

its only March 9th lol, I think he's for real...........sometimes people make stupid mistakes......that cost them for a long time afterwards.
Old 03-09-2006 | 12:57 PM
Instructor

Yeah required to have insurance in case you hit someone but you don't have to have colision on a car that is paid off.

Thats why people get the basic insurance on beaters that are worth 1-2k. If you wreck it u just don't care since its not worth fixing. But the insurance covers you if you cause damage to someone elses car.
Old 03-09-2006 | 01:24 PM
Wants an M3 in

Originally Posted by I10O0I1
oh shit.. dam... i dont know what to tell you but if you decide to strip it and sell.. i would like to get some stuff from it..
holy shit dude. you are an .
Old 03-09-2006 | 02:38 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ludachrisvt
holy shit dude. you are an .
I second that!! for some reason i do not believe you because i have no idea who in their right mind would get a ~$35K car and not get full coverage insurance, especially in NY. like someone said before if you financed it, conprhensive and collision is a must and the car won't be delivered without it.

If this really did happen i feel sorry for you because you are pretty much screwed. if you are willing to chance so much money try the market... better rate of return...
Old 03-09-2006 | 03:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

a brand new 2006 Acura TL in the NYC area with NO collision or full coverage?

cmon man...what were u thinkin?

all i can say is that hope the insurance company finds the other driver at fault
Old 03-09-2006 | 05:19 PM
Racer

I think he does have insurance from his post, he has the liability insurance which would cover the damage on the other car that was involved in the accident.
As of himself, I think he knows he will be stuck with a huge bill so lets not grill him anymore about not buying full insurance. At least the car is paid in full, so worse comes to worst he can still sell the car to junk yard and get enough money back to maybe buy a civic or something.
Old 03-09-2006 | 06:40 PM
10th Gear

tat's right tony. yeah. i got other problems besides this. I have liability. gee a lota ppl here calling me a moron or stupid. I got it.!!.. yehah i got out save and sound. air bags came out too. oh about the title thing. uh. i'm not sure. the police came and filed a report. No pictures or insurnace company was involved in my car.
Old 03-09-2006 | 06:43 PM
10th Gear

Maybe someone here knows a cheaper place to fix it and will just buy it from me, drop me a private message if you want.
Old 03-09-2006 | 08:15 PM
Instructor

I will give u 1k cash, and a ride to a dealership and insurance agent.

Hell I will even wash your new Chevy Aveo.
Old 03-09-2006 | 08:45 PM
10th Gear

i lik wat tacobell is sayin. if my insurance can say the other cars then i can be good for this. but i really doubt it. he did an instant stop and crash for me. this was morning and the traffic was minimal. idont kno to argue this. =\ YES NO COLLISION and no full coverage. anywun kno is the title still clean? cuz cops came and had a little report. buh my insurance company isnt involved with collision. is the title clean .. im plannin to fix it and sell it asap.. sigh.
Old 03-09-2006 | 09:13 PM
Advanced

i lik wat tacobell is sayin. if my insurance can say the other cars then i can be good for this. but i really doubt it. he did an instant stop and crash for me. this was morning and the traffic was minimal. idont kno to argue this. =\ YES NO COLLISION and no full coverage. anywun kno is the title still clean? cuz cops came and had a little report. buh my insurance company isnt involved with collision. is the title clean .. im plannin to fix it and sell it asap.. sigh.

In order to know exactly who is at fault, why don't you give a detailed description of what happened. From what you said, it's your fault, you should leave the appropiate space in between cars so you don't rear end them. So I think it's going to be a tough one for you to argue.

You insurance company doesn't determine who's at fault, it is the cops that show to the scene. That's why if the first one to show up says something that you don't agree with you can have him call a second one, and depending on that one, a third (at least that's how it works in Louisiana), and if you are lucky then you get the judging to your favor. After that, you should immediately call the other person's insurance and yours to let them know what happened and submit the police report because that shows legally whose to blame.

If you admitted fault at the scene and they wrote in on the report then you are screwed. Are there any witnesses? Did you get a ticket? Did the other guy got a ticket? What does the police report say, you should have a copy. If you admitted that it was your fault and it's on paper then forget it. I heard of someone fighting this decision in court, after appealing and winning when originally he was supposed to be at fault.

I'd suggest fix the car and keep it for a while and asses if it runs good and it feels good. You lost enough money as it is, why lose more. Why do you want to sell it. Besides if you plan on fixing it and then sell it as if nothing happened you might get in trouble because that info is going to pop up in CARFAX. I don't know how the tittle thing works though.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck.
Old 03-09-2006 | 09:33 PM
Honor...

Well, you should get an estimate from a good bodyshop. They will tell you if you are screwed or not.

If you are not, then start collecting parts, most likely you can acquire a rear-ended donor car for $5k - $10K (from what I have found). Then take your time and rebuild it. You are lucky in a way 'cause at least its paid for.

Maybe you could get a bank loan for the repairs assuming your credit is good.

I am almost done rebuilding my ride, I was told it would cost me $10k, I've spent $1700 so far. So, believe me... If it can be done, and you can stick it out then do it.

Sorry about your mishap, but u did make a strong case for carring insurance.

Quick Reply: !!!CRASHED 2006 TL repair and sell? keep? !WHERE