3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cracked Bumper.....Stupid %#%$$&!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 09:20 AM
My Daily Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Cracked Bumper.....Stupid %#%$$&!!!!

Well, I get to class yesterday morning at about 9AM, parked on the street since the lot was full. Got done around 11:30, walked out to my car. Normally, I just get in and go, but for some reason, I decided to walk around the car.

Walk around the back, all is well. Go to the front and there it is......

So, the person who parked in front of me in a Mazda Tribute decided to back into my front bumper and tapped me with the trailer hitch (recieving end) to result in a nice square imprint and crack in the front bumper cover. Well, I'll be damned if Im gonna let some a$$hole get away with it, so I call the cops, they come and file a formal report, and told me to call within a week and they will have contacted the owner to get all their information.

In the meantime, I just get to be pissed off. Why are people like this? This morning, I saw some girl back into a car in the parking lot and just drive off, luckily another student got their plate number and called it in....some people just have no regard for other peoples property and cant seem to take responsibility for anything......

and now for the pictures, taken with my phone...I'm assuming it needs to be replaced, no way that can be repaired....:shakehead

Old 02-27-2007, 09:47 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Sux man...sorry to hear about it. Trust me though....many body shops will repair that rather than replace it. They actually make a better margin that way as more labor involved..less parts. Hopefully you can find a shop that will not do this and replace the bumper cover for you. Ask ahead of time though how they would intend on fixing it.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:10 AM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
I'd leave it and get some cash from the driver. I thought about fixing the crack in my bumper but then realized it was just as likely to be damaged again (and possibly without a person leaving a note).
Old 02-27-2007, 11:18 AM
GO DAWGS!! SICK'EM!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
that sux man...get some $$ from him...and kick his ass....J/K
Old 02-27-2007, 11:33 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
At first I was wondering how you knew for sure it was the car in front of you at that point in time that did it...then I saw the pics...it couldn't be more obvious! That other person must've been desparate for a spot because I would've thought they'd have parked somewhere else after doing that. Good luck getting it fixed...I know how it is...I take mine in tomorrow to get the rear bumper and ASPEC lip fixed after being rear ended the other week.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:49 AM
Got VTEC?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No respect for other people's property...
Old 02-27-2007, 11:52 AM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I hate how people do that to other people's cars. I never understood why people damage other people's property, heck even if I was in a beef with someone I'd just assualt them not their vehicle, bruises heal on their own, not dents and dings.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:57 AM
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 175 Posts
That's sucks...I hate people do that when they parallel park. Doesn't pay any attentions. Well hope you get his info on this.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:00 PM
Banned

I understand, man... https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/i-think-my-wife-cheating-me-153684/

At least your isn't really obvious
Old 02-27-2007, 01:33 PM
Dont Touch My Car !!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
sucks.....that driver in the mazda must really suck at parallel parking. That is a huge spot, there is atleast maybe 4 feet of space between the cars.
Old 02-27-2007, 01:44 PM
Instructor

I hate F#CK3Rs like that. Some @$$wipe side swiped my bumber in a parking lot when my car was only 2 months old. AHHHHHHHHHH! The rage and urge to force feed them their car keys will fade over time, but never go away totally.
Old 02-27-2007, 01:44 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
Did you back up any? There's seems to be PLENTY of space that they shouldn't even have come close to your car.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:08 PM
Instructor

that sucks, hope you get your reimburstment soon.
i hate ppl who park by inching until they feel the bump of the other car.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:30 PM
My Daily Driver

Thanks guys.

No, I did not back up at all....thats how much space there was between our cars when I came out.....

I am pushing to get it replaced, but I need to get the owners info first from the police. I should have it by the end of the week.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:43 PM
06 GBM AT TSX + 35% TINT

at least they didn't run away like they did after scratching my car in the parking lot

hope you get the bastard for good.
Old 02-27-2007, 03:22 PM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
That sucks dude, but hey, you did the right thing by getting a report and pictures. The owner of the Tribute has no where to hide.

Old 02-27-2007, 04:24 PM
Godfather of Chrome

Location: Santa Cruz, and yes I'm a hippie with retro 1970s sideburns and a chrome fetish
I like how you didn't hide his/her license plate in the picture you posted. Classic! Well, as others have said, you did the right thing. It'll all come back on him/her, AND you'll get your stuff fixed. I know I would be livid at something like this, too, if it's any consolation to you.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:28 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Maybe I am missing something, but if the a-hole in the Tribute insists that he did not hit you, how do the cops assess blame based on your report? Yes, it is obvious that there was impact between the two vehicles, but if the Tribute lies and says you parked after him, how do the cops resolve? Good luck and maybe the guy confesses.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Bummer. Hate to see when people do that. They probably had no clue that they even did.

Maybe we should have a bumper painting party. Mine is in some serious need of fresh paint as well
Old 02-27-2007, 04:48 PM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 93SHOcar
Maybe I am missing something, but if the a-hole in the Tribute insists that he did not hit you, how do the cops assess blame based on your report? Yes, it is obvious that there was impact between the two vehicles, but if the Tribute lies and says you parked after him, how do the cops resolve? Good luck and maybe the guy confesses.

You make a very valid point.
Old 02-27-2007, 05:05 PM
No He Can't

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Eoanou
You make a very valid point.
He does make a pretty good point, but it is pretty obvious what happened there. You have the pictures from when it happened. They could even bring the car in and back it up to yours and see if the hitch matches exactly where there is a mark on your car. Good job getting the police report, that should help a lot. Good luck
Old 02-27-2007, 05:27 PM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
that is one hell of camera phone =)
Old 02-27-2007, 05:53 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Location: Rhode Island.....Self-Proclaimed Chromed Cousin of Brettallica
Originally Posted by KSuchdeve
He does make a pretty good point, but it is pretty obvious what happened there. You have the pictures from when it happened. They could even bring the car in and back it up to yours and see if the hitch matches exactly where there is a mark on your car. Good job getting the police report, that should help a lot. Good luck

Not that I doubt you buddy but how do your prove who hit who?

Tribute man could say he was there first and you hit the back on his trailer hitch on your own?.......

Of course the marks will line up - but proving he backed into you will be trouble if he says he didn't and claims you must have hit him.
(Even tho you say you were there first)
Old 02-27-2007, 06:02 PM
My Daily Driver

I have the class schedule to prove I was there from 9AM to 11:45, if he/she is another student, that could easily come into play.

As for the phone, I have a Cingular 8525/HTC TyTn with at 2MP camera....saves me when I dont have my Rebel XT with me!
Old 02-27-2007, 06:03 PM
steeez

wait.. so if he was still parked there, that would mean that he probably didnt even nkow he hit you right? if he was such an asshole he could have just left the scene. so hes just a bad driver. (not trying to defend mazdaman just didnt know the story) and yeah, steveP has got a major point. good luck
Old 02-27-2007, 06:04 PM
Racer

why would there be any reason to doubt his story? if you had hit someone's car and messed up your bumper, would you go through the risk of trying to report it and get it fixed like a douche? what if the person with the tribute has proof of having classes from 8am to 8pm in and around that area, if you had hit his car, the tribute has a solid alibi and you're screwed.

the only thing that will backfire is if the tribute denies it and brings up the point that "any tribute with a tow hitch could do the same damage. and even if the damage was done by the tribute, why would I park in the same spot in front? wouldn't it be smart to park somewhere else to hide?"
Old 02-27-2007, 06:05 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

I'm not doubting you buddy - at all........ if she/he does dispute it get that schedule.
Old 02-27-2007, 06:08 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Originally Posted by noshow_nogo
why would there be any reason to doubt his story? if you had hit someone's car and messed up your bumper, would you go through the risk of trying to report it and get it fixed like a douche?

I wasn't doubting his story........no need for the language.
Old 02-27-2007, 08:20 PM
My Daily Driver

personally, I just think it was a bad driver who didnt think/know they hit me, either that or they new they hit me, but did not think it did any damage, kinda like a love tap.

Either way, I just cant wait to get the info and have at it.....
Old 02-27-2007, 09:09 PM
Dont Touch My Car !!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by johnny--2k
I have the class schedule to prove I was there from 9AM to 11:45, if he/she is another student, that could easily come into play.

As for the phone, I have a Cingular 8525/HTC TyTn with at 2MP camera....saves me when I dont have my Rebel XT with me!
Everyone should invest in a good camera phone 2mb+...incase shit happen.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:19 PM
My Daily Driver

haha...yeah, I love it!
Old 02-27-2007, 10:26 PM
Godfather of Chrome

Location: Santa Cruz, and yes I'm a hippie with retro 1970s sideburns and a chrome fetish
I think it's pretty funny how people are debating about whether johnny--2k's story "could" be false. I mean technically it could, but why would someone who just bumped into someone's else's trailer hitch, while only leaving damage on their own car, even bother filing a report and claim "look what this guy did"? That would be ballsy, to say the least.

I guess there are some crooked people out there who do this kind of insurance fraud thing, so perhaps I shouldn't be so naive.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:29 PM
My Daily Driver

well, I would hope no one on here nor anyone I know would think of me as crooked, but I do agree, there are people like that out there.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:37 PM
steeez

Originally Posted by brettallica
I think it's pretty funny how people are debating about whether johnny--2k's story "could" be false. I mean technically it could, but why would someone who just bumped into someone's else's trailer hitch, while only leaving damage on their own car, even bother filing a report and claim "look what this guy did"? That would be ballsy, to say the least.

I guess there are some crooked people out there who do this kind of insurance fraud thing, so perhaps I shouldn't be so naive.
i dont think steve was trying to doubt him, but just throwing in the big what if because i imagine there are people like that who would lie when its their fault. but yeah.. good luck with it johnny
Old 02-27-2007, 10:45 PM
Intermediate

Sux man, you've got my full sympathy

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151865

At the very least, black is hella easier to match than a lot of other colors... I realize that won't take away the sting or the taste of bile outta your mouth, most people are clueless that there are other people in the world besides themselves, including other people's property. I couldn't even run fast enough to catch the facker who did mine driving away, you've got someone to answer for it (hopefully).

Mine was chips and scrapes, wasn't worried about the repair of the existing bumper, I won't speak to cracks but thinkin go for the replacement, push the buttons on the bastard Tribute owner, I'm fairly confident you'll get it sorted before I get my SSM figured out. The classic looks better when dirty (silver) vs. easier to fix (black) arguement... again.

Sorry man, good luck.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:53 PM
Godfather of Chrome

Originally Posted by ecliptics
i dont think steve was trying to doubt him, but just throwing in the big what if because i imagine there are people like that who would lie when its their fault. but yeah.. good luck with it johnny
Sorry if I was unclear. I wasn't pointing out Steve; I was just saying as a whole, people in this thread are doubting. I actually didn't even think Steve was doubting at all.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:19 PM
My Daily Driver

There will always be that big "what if".....in a case like this it's inevitable.

Hopefully, it does not come up, but if it does, I got some fighting to do.

Yzerguy, I feel for ya, that really sucks. Especially to see him do it...that's some BS.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:51 AM
Intermediate

Thx Johnny, appreciated. Yeah that was some BS, but right now I'm more choked at the body shop guys opinions on colour than I am at the guy who hit & run my TL. Been reading a lot the last 4 hours on paint processes (blending base, blending clear, feathering, yadah) in an effort to get my repair "fixed". I'm not looking to be an expert, just a very well informed consumer...

My best advice to share from my crusade is do your homework, both locally and in general, and sleep well knowing it should be a relatively easy color match for your bumper... if you can get the new bumper on yours, then, in theory, all you need to look for is fit, post repair.

There are always other variables, but I think those are the biggies. Even if repairing instead of replacing, I'm sure it'll look new, I think repair vs. new is more a psychological matter here, but I'll admit I may be saying different if I were in your shoes.

Good luck
Old 02-28-2007, 06:07 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by SteveP66
I wasn't doubting his story........no need for the language.
just to clarify my comment... in no way was the word doubt directed at you. just in a general sense, ie. from the cops POV, the insurance companies' POV, etc. and also, I just use douche a lot and that was directed to mazdaman.

best of luck to you johnny--2k, I think your case is solid, just need to worry about the paint matching just as Yzerguy states.

-dave
Old 02-28-2007, 10:45 AM
My Daily Driver

Thanks guys. I am not worried about paint matching so much, but I did get an estimate, and to fix vs replace will be only a few dollars less, so I might as well just have it replaced if I can, as long as it's a factory bumper. If it's an aftermarket, then I'll get it fixed at the bodyshop of my choice (the one that does all of the dealerships work, extremely expensive, but awesome work) or there will be hell to pay.

Quick Reply: Cracked Bumper.....Stupid %#%$$&!!!!