3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Couple questions from a new 3G TL owner...

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 09:20 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Couple questions from a new 3G TL owner...

1) When the display doesn't read either "AC ON" or "AC OFF", is the AC on or off???

2) Is there anyway to make the stock remote roll the windows up?

3) Even with the factory sub, I'm feeling like my ears are lacking on the bass. I've tried searching the forum regarding this however the posts are very old. Is there any sub currently being offered that will plug and play in the existing location and make a noticeable difference in sound?

4) If I turn the volume up to ~30 when playing a cd I'm hearing a slight vibration but I can't determine where its coming from. Where would be the most common place to start on this car? Settings are at:

Bass: +1
Treb: +2
Fad: 0
Bal: 0
Cent: +1
Sub: +1

Thanks in advance!!!
Old 04-02-2012, 09:26 PM
Safety Car

Received 767 Likes on 552 Posts
Originally Posted by Seatown1two
1) When the display doesn't read either "AC ON" or "AC OFF", is the AC on or off???

3) Even with the factory sub, I'm feeling like my ears are lacking on the bass. I've tried searching the forum regarding this however the posts are very old. Is there any sub currently being offered that will plug and play in the existing location and make a noticeable difference in sound?

4) If I turn the volume up to ~30 when playing a cd I'm hearing a slight vibration but I can't determine where its coming from. Where would be the most common place to start on this car? Settings are at:

Thanks in advance!!!
1. If it doesn't say AC ON or AC OFF, than it's ON. If the AC is OFF than it will clearly light up and say in text "AC OFF"

2. KPTechnoligies Window Roll-up module (costs $40 and you have to take apart your drivers side door panels to install it

3. I'm sure there is, I just don't know to give a an answer.

4. The vibration you are hearing is known as "rattle" and it's coming from the rear sub by the back windshield. I used a microfiber towel and stuffed it between the back windshield and the back dashboard to prevent the rattle. I don't use it anymore because I don't really listen to music above 20.

I put my bass at +3/4, treble at MAX, fad 0, bal 0, center 0, and sub +3/4

I put my center at 0 because I have a suede dashboard cover so it blocks the center channel.. I notice 0 difference in sound though.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:30 AM
Drifting

Received 853 Likes on 606 Posts
1) Based on my experiences, it seems that if the display says "AC On" then your compressor will stay running even if the car is cool enough. It will stop once the high pressure side gets to a certain pressure of course, to avoid damage. But otherwise it will continue to run. The purpose of this is that keeping the compressor and condenser running can aid in moisture reduction in the winter if your windows are fogged up on the inside. So in this case you'd want to manually select AC on. If it says nothing then the compressor will kick on depending on what you set the climate control at. If you set it at "Hi", it's not going to come on very often. But if you set it at "Low" and it's the summer, it will pretty much be on all the time. If the display says "AC Off" then it won't come on no matter what.

3) I'm not aware of a popular choice here. And the few that have been replaced don't seem to be much better than stock. It's not that the stock sub is weak, it's that there isn't really that much power going to the rear sub and that there isn't an enclosure. In some instances, the trunk can act as an enclosure. But not in this case where you have a little 8' sub with low wattage. I went with a bazooka tube and 500W amp hooked up to the stock sub output for a signal and it works great. I was a little worried about the signal being amplified but it didn't matter.

Can't really help on 2 and 4. Sorry
Old 04-03-2012, 04:41 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks in advance!!!

3) as far as stock sub replacements go I've heard its usually not a good idea to drop another sub in the stock location. It's very hard to find a good sounding open air sub and it will still require some splicing. On top of that with the stock amp your sub will be very underpowered.

I personally have two 10's using the stock sub wires for my signal.

4) As far as this goes I would start by turning your sub off completely to see if this stops it. Your best bet would be to change the fade and balance and test each individual speaker to determine the general direction of the rattle.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:48 PM
the overexplainer

Received 385 Likes on 337 Posts
If it doesnt explicitly say "off", assume AC is on. AC is automatically turned on when Auto is selected.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:07 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TheBumbino
3) as far as stock sub replacements go I've heard its usually not a good idea to drop another sub in the stock location. It's very hard to find a good sounding open air sub and it will still require some splicing. On top of that with the stock amp your sub will be very underpowered.

I personally have two 10's using the stock sub wires for my signal.

4) As far as this goes I would start by turning your sub off completely to see if this stops it. Your best bet would be to change the fade and balance and test each individual speaker to determine the general direction of the rattle.

Lol about the rattle good idea... its been so long since I've had to troubleshoot something like that i forgot what to do... Sounds like its coming from the front left tweet which is odd.. and about the sub... I just really would like to keep the car as stock as possible which is why I ask if I can simply drop another sub in the existing location. I might need to go the custom route w/ a fiberglass box...

Thanks for the replies so far and might I add that I am loving this car!!
Old 04-05-2012, 07:06 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Lol about the rattle good idea... its been so long since I've had to troubleshoot something like that i forgot what to do... Sounds like its coming from the front left tweet which is odd.. and about the sub... I just really would like to keep the car as stock as possible which is why I ask if I can simply drop another sub in the existing location. I might need to go the custom route w/ a fiberglass box...

I have seen a few people on here seal up the stock sub location to create a sealed enclosure. There is most likely also plug and play harnesses for the TL out there also. I believe they are the same as most honda stuff but Im not entirely sure.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:16 PM
Safety Car

Received 767 Likes on 552 Posts

I remember there was a group buy for a plug-n-play rocksford fosgate amplifier for our TL that a member was selling....

I remember it costing ~200-300? But everyone that received it had nothing but good compliments. The person that was doing the group buy was telling everyone how good the stock TL subs and speakers are, but the reason why they are weak is because the stock amplifier was weak.

Once you swap out the stock amp for the rocksford fosgate amp that he sold, you wouldn't believe it was still the stock TL speakers and sub... Clarity and everything went from B- to A+!

--

Found it

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-94/feeler-plug-play-factory-amp-replacement-834940/

Originally Posted by uncald4

Thanks to Rockford Fosgate we've been able to deliver some amazing sound without the need for substantial upgrades to the audio system. At ICON Audio Technologies we specialize in high-end audio install. We love these new Rockford Fosgate Punch Series amps for Porsche, Lamborghini, Ferrari, Dodge Viper and new Corvette. It tucks in places that no other amplifier can. It's a great replacement or add-on to the factory amplified system.

Recently we've used it to replace the factory amp in a few 3rd Gen TL's. Most of you know how beautifully our subwoofer enclosures add amazing bass response to your TL. But there is still something missing in your front stage. It's missing power, clarity and volume. This is the cure.

Easy to install. No extras to purchase. Mounts in the factory amp location. The pictures above are from a 2004 TL. We did the install in 20 minutes from start to finish without a plug and play harness.

We are considering a group buy for the amplifier with plug and play harness. Please share your thoughts, suggestions and questions.

Originally Posted by uncald4
Here are some details.....

Amplifier: Rockford Fosgate PBR300X4

Power: 75 watts x 4 (although the birth certificates consistently show higher numbers)

Estimated cost: $298 for the amp, "plug and play" harness and mounting hardware. There would be a $45 refundable core charge for your factory amp. Working or not.

Shipping: $10.50 via USPS Priority unless otherwise requested

Warranty: 1 year from date of purchase. Direct swap out.

Estimated time of install: About 15 to 20 minutes with a 10mm socket and socket wrench.

This upgrade will not support the factory center channel or subwoofer. The plug and play harness will include RCA connections for the center channel and subwoofer add-ons. We'll cover that later. This upgrade was intended for our subwoofer enclosure customers that wanted a hotter front stage to compliment the upgraded sub.

This is not official information yet. Still a feeler. Your feedback is appreciated.

Last edited by vietxquangstah; 04-05-2012 at 07:19 PM.