Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Couple paint issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 12:12 PM
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Couple paint issues

My 04' TL has a few paint issues that the dealer, as of now, will not warranty (car is under original B to B warranty until 7-24-08). The first is the rear bumper cover paint is peeling under the LR tail light. Did a search and seems that bumper cover paint peeling IS an issue with Acura. The second issue is a little harder to describe, but there are several spots on the hood, LF fender and roof that have what looks like spider webs under the clear coat. The dealer said it was probably caused by bird droppings or fallout. I don't know what he meant by fallout, I was too pissed to even ask. My car is in mint condition with only 35,000 miles on it. IF it gets bird shit on it, I wash it ASAP. My friend owns a bodyshop and does warranty work for the local Saturn dealership, I showed him and he said that he has done warranty work for Saturn with what appears to be the same issue. The Acura District Manager is looking at it on Wednesday next week. My car is in for about 5 other warranty/TSB issues along with the paint. I love my car, but the paint just doesn't seem to be that high quality (NBP). Anybody else have peeling and or flaws that were or were not taken care of by Acura?
Thanks
Eric
Old 11-09-2007, 01:05 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I can relate with you Blueracer,
I don't have any "nuclear fall out issues" but I have been seeing the bumper paint peeling within the gaps as you described. More so under the headlights/lights than any where else etc.. I plan to point mine out during the next dealership visit. I could see them denying the "spider cracks" as you describe but the peeling should be covered. Buttttt, most likely they wont cover due to being an 04 (mine too) regardless of the condition.
Just keep on them in a professional manner. Hopefully the rep will take care of at least the bumpers if not all. If you can, "tactfully" slip in a comment to the rep/manager that: "customer care like this is what determines repeat purchases from a manufacturer etc....."

-- What TSB issues are you having performed?

Thanks

Good luck
Old 11-09-2007, 01:27 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
Those "spider webs" yo speak of are called "etching" and they are the result of contanimants left on the paint in the sun (bird droppings are the #1 cause). Black is the worst color for this issue as it shows any mark from quite a distance.

The peeling bumper paint should be covered. Does it look like there is an edge to the paint as if it had been masked and repainted? It could be that you bought a port damaged car (legally they are required to disclose this) or a vehicle that was damaged on the lot and had the bumper repainted. Does your bumper have a VIN tag, do the numbers match the VIN on the rest of your car?
Old 11-09-2007, 01:52 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by blueracer17
My 04' TL has a few paint issues that the dealer, as of now, will not warranty (car is under original B to B warranty until 7-24-08). The first is the rear bumper cover paint is peeling under the LR tail light. Did a search and seems that bumper cover paint peeling IS an issue with Acura. The second issue is a little harder to describe, but there are several spots on the hood, LF fender and roof that have what looks like spider webs under the clear coat. The dealer said it was probably caused by bird droppings or fallout. I don't know what he meant by fallout, I was too pissed to even ask. My car is in mint condition with only 35,000 miles on it. IF it gets bird shit on it, I wash it ASAP. My friend owns a bodyshop and does warranty work for the local Saturn dealership, I showed him and he said that he has done warranty work for Saturn with what appears to be the same issue. The Acura District Manager is looking at it on Wednesday next week. My car is in for about 5 other warranty/TSB issues along with the paint. I love my car, but the paint just doesn't seem to be that high quality (NBP). Anybody else have peeling and or flaws that were or were not taken care of by Acura?
Thanks
Eric
I had some paint issues with my TSX. My car is a light silver blue. There were several areas of discoloration on the hood and the side of the car which basically looked like dark blue spots. I complained to the dealer several times, and got no response. Eventually, I got the factory rep to look at it. Acura then agreed to repaint the front of the car, and they provided me with a loaner for almost a week while they did the work. the car came out looking like new, so I really have no complaints.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:58 PM
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
The bumper cover does not appear to have been repainted. I have had work done on previous cars and know what that looks like. I can actually see the paint has peeled from at the mating surface to the LR quarter panel on the BC. So its just making it's way around the corner. It's like an adhesion problem or the bumper cover wasn't clean prepped properly when painted. When I was in the dealership I noticed how poorly the rear BC's fit, even on a new RL. This is the premium "made in Japan" Acura and it's rear bumper cover didn't even line up at the bottom and the gap was off at the quarter, plus it had a big glob of clear coat (appeard to be anyway, it was a think round blob, kinda soft and would take a print) on the hood at the fender/hood gap. Really makes a guy wonder. There is a Lexus dealership down the road, might have to go check it out. As for TSB's performed, sunroof rattle, pulling/drifting steering, center channel speaker rattle, non TSB item is the clutch pedal click/chatter, dash fade-I shouldn't be able to see the airbag outline on a 3.5 year old car. Like I said, I love this car, but I am a bit of a neat freak and hate these stupid flaws. I am I asking too much out of a $35000+ dollar car (has navi, full dealer installed A spec front/side/rear underbody and lip spoiler, all weather floor mats and trunk liner).
eric
Old 11-09-2007, 03:20 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
No, you're not "asking" too much. The climate now days is a continuous decline in quality. What was quality at $20K 5 years ago takes/costs $40K today.... Tis truly sad, yet the consumer is partially to blame. It doesn't matter what you're buying. Not near enough folks demand quality for their hard earned dollar.

I consistently go out and buy 2-4 brands of like items and take them home for trial. The best built/best quality item I keep, the rest I return as junk.

I wish I could do the same with each car purchase...
- I think a 30 day return policy would work well...

Keep on em
Old 11-16-2007, 11:27 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
35,000 with a bad paint job is not mint car anymore...

Back in 1977 the Chevy dealership said that the spots in the paint on my monte carlo was from acid rain. Now while they take some responsibility for the paint quality, the environment played a big key in the whole thing...

That and the paint and process they use today is very much more so environmentally friendly which means the paint jobs cost big bucks... Well the really good ones do.

And I have experienced the air bag outline as well.

However, I must say that acura appears to have this issue more than some other brands. Audi, Infiniti, lexus. When you consider the price (acura being cheapest) there is a reason for that. In the end you do get what you pay for. Well you should...
Old 10-14-2008, 08:17 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a newly ACURA rejected "claim", on a white spot that is developing from under the clearcoat of my NBP on the upper door frame of the RR door. The spot is about the size of a quarter but seems to be getting brighter. Dealer said it looked like it under the clearcoat and had never seen it before. But the regional service manager said since it is an 04 it is out of warrenty and basically said it not their issue. I intend in calling ACURA national customer service. Has anyone else had this issue or any luck dealing with them?
Old 10-14-2008, 08:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
As someone who has owned an Acura for 3 months, reading stuff like this freaks me out and makes me wonder if I should have bought an Infiniti instead.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:46 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I noticed a slight peel off on the rear bumper on the edges by the back door. I just did a minor touch up since it was at the edge and was barely noticable. Not only that, i noticed the front and the rear bumper color does not match whatsoever with the body paint. My cars white and the bumpers are light beige color. I also noticed how the fenders don't line up exactly. Should i go complain at the dealer and have them repaint the bumper where the edges are peeling off? My cars 08. Should it be covered under warranty?
Old 10-15-2008, 01:19 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,011 Likes on 1,430 Posts
Originally Posted by lldknyll26
I noticed a slight peel off on the rear bumper on the edges by the back door. I just did a minor touch up since it was at the edge and was barely noticable. Not only that, i noticed the front and the rear bumper color does not match whatsoever with the body paint. My cars white and the bumpers are light beige color. I also noticed how the fenders don't line up exactly. Should i go complain at the dealer and have them repaint the bumper where the edges are peeling off? My cars 08. Should it be covered under warranty?
If the edges are peeling on a new car, def take it back. The color is a known issue with almost all new cars, what happens is that the factory sprays flex agents to allow the paint to flex with the bumper, and this often ends up making the paint slightly darker.
Old 10-15-2008, 01:21 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,011 Likes on 1,430 Posts
Originally Posted by BradE
As someone who has owned an Acura for 3 months, reading stuff like this freaks me out and makes me wonder if I should have bought an Infiniti instead.
You have to remember that this community represents a very small fraction of TL's made. People find acurazine predominantly to find answers to their problems, so you basically read all the problems of the percentage that posts here. Don't be worried, the TL is def. better than the G in many aspects. Enjoy your purchase and have fun
Old 10-15-2008, 05:11 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by csmeance
The color is a known issue with almost all new cars, what happens is that the factory sprays flex agents to allow the paint to flex with the bumper, and this often ends up making the paint slightly darker.
All bumpers have a flex agent, but it seems that just Acura's paint match is terrible.
Haven't seen any other brands that the car is white and the bumpers are "gray" from the factory. Posted before, but was next to a white Escalade, unbelievable, as there was no difference in the bumper/body color, absolutely perfect. Earlier this year after selling the Grand Cherokee, we were in the market for a new "transportation" vehicle. White was our choice of color, looked at many makes and didn't see one that had gray bumpers.

I had my WDP bumper repainted and the shop matched the body color perfectly. It takes time, but it can be done. One would think after all the complaints throughout the years, Acura would correct their shoddy process and make the color match perfect as it certainly isn't a Mom and Pop shop. Can't wait to see the 4G paint match.

Last edited by Turbonut; 10-15-2008 at 05:13 AM.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:30 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
I had a problem with my 08 WDP TL-S paint peeling on the front drivers side bumper, on the edge where it meets the fender. Acura had it repainted twice to fix the issue. Looks great and it holding up now. I had no problems have it repaired.
Old 10-15-2008, 02:06 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by LoveMyTL-S
I had a problem with my 08 WDP TL-S paint peeling on the front drivers side bumper, on the edge where it meets the fender. Acura had it repainted twice to fix the issue. Looks great and it holding up now. I had no problems have it repaired.
Any dealer should repaint it without any problems right? I just don't want to get into an argument with dealers whether its covered under warranty or not.
Old 10-15-2008, 02:07 PM
Racer

Image if you had clear bra installed and noticed the paint peeling off. Then you'd have to uninstall the bra and reinstall after it gets repainted. Such a hassle