3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Correct install of rear deck lip? (how easy is it to open trunk)

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 07:50 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Correct install of rear deck lip? (how easy is it to open trunk)

SO I just took delivery of my 06 5AT Anthracite/Quartz TL and I am loving it.

So far everything seems great.

My only question is about the install of the rear deck lip. It looks perfect (in fact my entire body kit matches the color perfectly). However when I pop the trunk(either from inside of the car or from the remote) the trunk just barely opens. When opening it with my hand, I have to lift it most of the way up before it locks open. Is this the way it is on normal TLs? I know the intallation calls to replace one of the stock springs with another one (a yellow one). I am wondering if maybe the dealer didn't do this.

Please let me know your experiences on both the stock TL and one with a deck lip spoiler installed.

Is it easy to check if this spring is installed?

Thanks
Old 04-23-2006, 09:29 PM
Doctor Sarcasm

Originally Posted by brianp6621
SO I just took delivery of my 06 5AT Anthracite/Quartz TL and I am loving it.

So far everything seems great.

My only question is about the install of the rear deck lip. It looks perfect (in fact my entire body kit matches the color perfectly). However when I pop the trunk(either from inside of the car or from the remote) the trunk just barely opens. When opening it with my hand, I have to lift it most of the way up before it locks open. Is this the way it is on normal TLs? I know the intallation calls to replace one of the stock springs with another one (a yellow one). I am wondering if maybe the dealer didn't do this.

Please let me know your experiences on both the stock TL and one with a deck lip spoiler installed.

Is it easy to check if this spring is installed?

Thanks
I didnt notice a huge difference when I installed the decklid as far as how far it popped open but I know that it should come with different springs. I dont care how far it pops open as long as its OPEN, ya know?

By the way I have Anthracite with Quartz too
Old 04-23-2006, 09:36 PM
Gratis dictum

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
With NO spoiler, mine opens about 1 to 1 1/2 inches. I think this is "normal".
Old 04-23-2006, 09:37 PM
Doctor Sarcasm

Originally Posted by Repecat
With NO spoiler, mine opens about 1 to 1 1/2 inches. I think this is "normal".
Mines about 1 inch with the spoiler. Works for me!
Old 04-23-2006, 09:46 PM
Sec's Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by xtin
Mines about 1 inch with the spoiler. Works for me!

I have the rear deck wing (which makes xtin drool BTW), and my lid doesn't pop up AT ALL. I ordered from trimking, which obviously doesn't ship the new springs. I was going to order them, but $150 for new springs, I'll just enjoy the mini workout each time I go in the trunk.

Steve
Old 04-23-2006, 10:09 PM
Doctor Sarcasm

Originally Posted by streese
I have the rear deck wing (which makes xtin drool BTW), and my lid doesn't pop up AT ALL. I ordered from trimking, which obviously doesn't ship the new springs. I was going to order them, but $150 for new springs, I'll just enjoy the mini workout each time I go in the trunk.

Steve
Makes me crave
Old 04-23-2006, 10:18 PM
Pro

And for most of you you need to lift the trunk lid most of the way up before it stays open on its own?
Old 04-23-2006, 10:18 PM
Doctor Sarcasm

And for most of you you need to lift the trunk lid most of the way up before it stays open on its own?
No, I mean once its popped open, it wont close unless I push it closed
Old 04-23-2006, 10:22 PM
Pro

Hmm, mine shuts on its own as soon I move it past the locked open position, essentially the trunk lid drops and shuts itself (althought it doesn't slam)

That makes me think they didn't install the replacement spring.
Old 04-23-2006, 10:22 PM
Gratis dictum

You have the picture. Actually, it works just fine.
Old 04-23-2006, 10:27 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Repecat
You have the picture. Actually, it works just fine.

Now I'm confused between what you and xtin says.

So for your TL with NO spoiler, you have to lift the trunk lid all the way to get it to stay open and then after pushing it down past the "catch point" the trunk lid will then drop on its own from there on down and close?
Old 04-23-2006, 11:24 PM
Currently at 50,546 miles

So for your TL with NO spoiler, you have to lift the trunk lid all the way to get it to stay open and then after pushing it down past the "catch point" the trunk lid will then drop on its own from there on down and close?
She said she has a spoiler.
Old 04-23-2006, 11:37 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by TailsToo
She said she has a spoiler.
I know, that's why I'm asking Repecat. It seems odd that if a TL with no spoiler requires you to lift the trunk and it it shuts on its own, that a TL WITH a spoiler (xtin's) would require you to push down on the trunk to shut it (unless the replacement spring is VERY strong).
Old 04-23-2006, 11:46 PM
Gratis dictum

Maybe this will help. When I unlatch the trunk, either from the dash button or the key fob, the trunk lid will open about an inch. Then I have to lift the lid another foot or so before it will swing all the way up. When closing it, I pretty much have to push it all the way down until it latches. It will not close and latch without a good push. I think this is also what xtin is saying.
Old 04-24-2006, 12:13 AM
Pro

Ok, that definitely seems to indicate mine is different, meaning he probably didn't install the new spring with it. Basically my trunk barely acts like it has a spring. I have to lift it up all the way before it will stay open by itself and I have to just nudge it down a little before gravity takes over and it shuts by itself.

I will call them tomorrow.
Old 04-24-2006, 02:39 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Ok, that definitely seems to indicate mine is different, meaning he probably didn't install the new spring with it. Basically my trunk barely acts like it has a spring. I have to lift it up all the way before it will stay open by itself and I have to just nudge it down a little before gravity takes over and it shuts by itself.

I will call them tomorrow.
OK...the problem is....you are listening to Xtin...who is great at her claying and waxing abilities....but does not know the slightest thing about wing spoilers. (just ribbin ya girl! you know your my az soulja!) No...in all seriousness.....you need to specify what type of spoiler you are talking about. (Wing or DooDoo Lump just messin with you lump lovers as us wing people take it on the chin so badly at times....we have to get our shots where we can!! ) I have the much superior and 20HP adding wing style spoiler....had the springs replaced....and it works JUST LIKE YOU ARE DESCRIBING. I know they replaced the springs as it was a friend of mine that did the work and they gave me the old ones that came off. What you are describing is normal. Mine will also shut by itself if you move it past about two or three inches down....and when initially popped....will only pop up about two or three inches also. The extra weight of the "ironing board" spoiler does that.....I dont think the lump one does that as badly as its weight is less.
Old 04-24-2006, 02:51 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

^^^^Correction....you DID state what kind of spoiler it was....IN THE THREAD TITLE...duh! My fault! I wouldnt really expect this type of thing from the lighter weight lip spoiler buddy....I might complain....but my guess is they are going to tell you that is the way it is?

In this case....Xtin is probably the best advisor you can get.....cause she perfers and has the same type spoiler.....DAMN! I will get you yet Xtin..........Doh! And fly by you on shiney wheels with my "ironing board" bolted to the back of my car........lol!
Old 04-24-2006, 11:13 AM
Doctor Sarcasm

Originally Posted by MichaelBenz
^^^^Correction....you DID state what kind of spoiler it was....IN THE THREAD TITLE...duh! My fault! I wouldnt really expect this type of thing from the lighter weight lip spoiler buddy....I might complain....but my guess is they are going to tell you that is the way it is?

In this case....Xtin is probably the best advisor you can get.....cause she perfers and has the same type spoiler.....DAMN! I will get you yet Xtin..........Doh! And fly by you on shiney wheels with my "ironing board" bolted to the back of my car........lol!
Oh you just eat your cereal and leave the hard stuff to me
Old 04-24-2006, 11:27 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by xtin
Oh you just eat your cereal and leave the hard stuff to me
<<<<-----Eats cereal and surfs AZ at night all the time...and an occasional crow or two!
Old 04-24-2006, 11:37 AM
Pro

Yeah, I have the small lip spoiler. My trunk barely opens when you pop it (you can hardly tell it is open)

I will be giving the guy a call to see if he can ask the installer today.

Anyway I can check? I think I saw something in the installation about the new spring being yellow? Can I remove the trunk liner and see this? Anyone want to confirm for me?

Thanks
Old 04-24-2006, 03:33 PM
All About Trance

Received 124 Likes on 109 Posts
I installed the lip spoiler myself on my car and I didn't have to install the included spring to make it pop up. To me, the spoiler makes it pop up higher than when I didn't have a spoiler. And I believe the spring that was included with our lip spoiler is a must for winged spoiler people due to its weight.
Old 04-24-2006, 04:08 PM
Pro

Hmm, well I've got a call into the dealer and he is going to check to see if the installer put the new spring on.

I'd like to see another TL (stock and with lip spoiler) in person to get a real idea of how bad mine is, but considering it barely opens at all when popped, something doesn't sound right.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
when my uncle installed a spoiler onto his legend, he found a heavy duty spring so that when he popped the trunk, it would be strong enough to open on its own... i am not sure if there is an application for the 3rd gen yet since your cars are so new.. i will check tho...
Old 04-24-2006, 11:45 PM
Advanced

Hmm, well I've got a call into the dealer and he is going to check to see if the installer put the new spring on.

I'd like to see another TL (stock and with lip spoiler) in person to get a real idea of how bad mine is, but considering it barely opens at all when popped, something doesn't sound right.
I put the lip on mine without the spring and it works fine,
Im in Calif if you want to look at mine. I also have the spring left over.
I didn't need it.

Later
Jeff
Old 04-25-2006, 12:58 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by sand spaz
I put the lip on mine without the spring and it works fine,
Im in Calif if you want to look at mine. I also have the spring left over.
I didn't need it.

Later
Jeff
WHere in CA are you? I'm in the SF Bay area.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:01 AM
How may I help you.....?

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MichaelBenz
OK...the problem is....you are listening to Xtin...who is great at her claying and waxing abilities....but does not know the slightest thing about wing spoilers. (Wing or DooDoo Lump just messin with you lump lovers as us wing people take it on the chin so badly at times....we have to get our shots where we can!! ) I have the much superior and 20HP adding wing style spoiler....had the springs replaced....and it works JUST LIKE YOU ARE DESCRIBING.
Too good too good... I also have the additional 20hp added from the Wing Spoiler.... It works the same way as MichaelBenz... Why would anyone want that little speed bump on their trunk anyway?
Old 04-25-2006, 07:07 AM
Advanced

Lip

WHere in CA are you? I'm in the SF Bay area.
SO Cal.
Orange County.
Old 04-27-2006, 03:01 PM
Pro

Well I finally got around to take off the inside trunk lining. I immediately saw that the yellow spring was installed but they had broken the clip in the middle which holds the 2 springs in place and had tried to jury rig it with 2 wire ties. Now I'm not sure just this clip being broken could be the issue with it not holding the trunk open but it is definitely wrong.

Other than that the springs seem to be installed ok (from the installation instructions here it isn't clear which spring is supposed to cross in front of the other or if that would make a difference. I did notice that on the right side, the yellow spring is in the notch, furthest back in the trunk (towards the back of the car) The instructions say to put it in the first notch (which is supposed to be the original position, but which one is that toward the front or rear of the car). Maybe it just needs to be in the other notch?

So at lunch I stopped by Sunnyvale Acura and they are ordering the part (probably why when the originall installer in Fairfield broke the clip, he used wire ties instead of replacing the clip) and I have a service appointment next wednesday to get it taken care of.

Thanks
Old 05-08-2006, 05:15 PM
Pro

So the quick update is, it is finally fixed and working like I expected.

The long update is below.

So I went in on wednesday to have the clip installed (99% sure that couldn't be the entire problem) and sure enough the installer tells me the clip won't help, the previous installer threw out the wrong spring upon reinstall and they would order a new one.

So the following monday (today) I go back in for service and they work on the car for an hour and tell me it is ready. I go out to check it and it is EXACTLY the same (they didn't say anything about it)

I ask the installer and he says they sent the wrong spring and that he installed it but it didn't work so he took it back out.

I go and take the liner off and look at it and everything looks the same as before except he installed the clip. So I go to a used car on the lot and take the trunk liner off (right in front of the sales floor) and look at exactly how the springs are installed and go back to my car. I immediately notice the right spring (the one you are not supposed to touch on install of the lip) looks wrong. In the used car (that has a perfectly working trunk) the spring dips down and then back up (going from left side of the trunk to the right) however that same spring on my car dips UP and then back down. (you'd have to look at the springs to know what I mean)

So to me it looks like the guys who originally installed my lip took both springs out and when reinstalling, put the left spring back in place of the right spring. So I ask the installer to see the spring they ordered but he gave it back to parts. I ask parts and they say it may have shipped out already or they may not be able to open it if it already got packaged. So I insist and after 15 minutes they bring the spring out and I open it up (they either repackaged very quickly or never opened it to being with). I take it out to compare and sure enough it looks exactly like the right spring should look (dips down and then up). So at this point I think the installer from the previous visit knew exactly what he was talking about but the guy today didn't.

I ask the installer what he did and he insisted he installed the new spring in place of the one I was claiming was wrong and that it actually got worse. I ask him to put it on again in front of me and VOILA, the trunk immediately started working properly. Of course then I had to go through the hassle of getting some trunk liner replacement pins since by now the originals would barely stay in the holes from being taken out multiple times.

So it was a hassle but 16 days after taking delivery my trunk finally works properly and I am happy again.