Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold Cathode + tinting???

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 11:03 PM
Starcraft II addict

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts
Cold Cathode + tinting???

Ok, so I get weird ideas every once in a while. I want to install lighting on the interior under the front dash/seats. However I don't want it to be very overpowering (think mood lighting - hey I'm single) and I want it to be a soft glow that is spread out rather then spot lighted.

So far I am thinking cold cathode (white or blue) for the area of lighting that it can cover. But... these are too bright by themselves, so I'm thinking of doing the following:

Get some dark tinting scrap pieces (won't take much) and tint the cold cathode tubes. Then use the reflective tape mentioned in other DIY for the license plate light install to assist in directing/spreading out the light where I want it to go.

Has anyone thought of or tried tinting the cathode tubes?
Old 12-01-2006, 01:49 PM
Starcraft II addict

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Old 12-01-2006, 01:52 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Believe it or not, a buddy of mine actually sells kits for cold cathodes...PM me and I'll get you his info. I know he's just been doing it local but going on ebay. His kits are awesome I have it in my car (if you pm me i'll send a pic or w/e) and it includes a nice switch/all wiring needed for the cathodes and the fuse plug or w/e...basically mount/plug/play...
He's got blue and green...they're great and he also has wireless remotes for them if you want. But those are extra...I love mine i can flip the remote thats as small as my keychain, just push the button when u walk up to the car and a nice soft blue comes up, of course if u want to just dim the lights u could do a dimmer switch for them I think...
Give me a ring and I'll put him in contact with ya
Old 12-01-2006, 02:03 PM
Starcraft II addict

I'll PM you. I'd like to see the setup. I could always integrate the install with my compustar remote to turn on/off the lights.

Still would like to hear thoughts on the tinting idea.
Old 12-01-2006, 04:42 PM
05 TL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Personally I would use Electrical tape to limit the amount of light coming from the light.. In addition to the aluminum foil.. which is 3 bux at home depot.
Old 12-01-2006, 05:58 PM
Starcraft II addict

^-- Electrical tape would work to limit the amount of light and could possible work for what I want. However I am wanting to change the intensity of the light, not just the amount of light. I want the intensity of light to be more of a soft glow versus a strong one.

I may have to test out the electrical tape first. Hmm maybe a combination of the two would work. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:45 PM
05 TL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You had me confused for a second... Okay a few minutes...

I get what your saying... You dont want a thin slit of super bright light from a tube.. You what the tube defuse...

Okay... So I am still confused.

Intensity = amount of wave length power.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luminous_intensity

Brightness = a relative measure of perception of the reflective light.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brightness

Whatever. If I were making it defuse I would use something like wax paper... Masking tape... Even paper... hmmm..

You will have to take pictures once your done.
Old 12-03-2006, 04:47 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm really sorry guys...
This week is finals for me, and I had the SAT yesterday (i'm still in High School)...
I'll have pics for ya monday night suposadly...I talked to my buddy though..
He's actually like in-between orders, he's got a bunch of kits sitting in his garage, and he's just waiting for one part to assemble them. As soon as he has him (he expects before christmas) he'll let me know...he's also interested in doing a discount for acurazine members, but I'll let you guys know when I hear more,

Pics coming soon