Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold Cathode Lic. Plate lights - no wire tap

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 09:56 AM
Starcraft II addict

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts
Cold Cathode Lic. Plate lights - no wire tap

Thought I'd share some pics. The installs for the cold cathodes show wire taps and doubling up on bulbs. I didn't want to do either and I also just mounted wendys camera so long cold cathode bulbs were not an option. Here's a very quick run down of what I used. This allows me to return to OEM on the license plate lights with no signs of tampering (not counting the two holes drilled for the camera).

1 set of 4" cold cathodes
Case from cold cathodes to make refector enclosure (with reflective tape)
2 male blade connectors (cut down to size with dremel)
Lexan (plexiglass) for new license plate light lens covers (used lexan silcon sealant)

Everything else is just like the other installs minus the wire tap.

Here are some pics to show what I did and that the brightness I get is close to the same as the dual tube option. It probably is a little less bright than dual tubes but definitely brighter and cleaner than OEM and thats they way I wanted it. As usual with my posts showing installs I have comments in the pics.

First pic is of mount hole measurement for backup camera. I just had to include it. I in no way measured this before I drilled the holes. I just positioned the camera in place with the modified license plate assembly on and made markers to determine the position for drilling. I did this measurement after the hole were drilled. I was shocked at the result.

Here are pics of the EOM lights in Normal and Night exposure modes:

Reflectors I made for the cc tubes (I did end up cutting an L slot in the one that went on the side the camera cable enterd the car via the lense to allow it to cleanly pass through the reflector):

Pic of connection to EOM light harness plug:

Pics of 1 cc and 1 eom together for contrast:

Pics of bottom view of CC tubes installed (licence plate assembly is off):

Pics of CC lights in Normal and Night exposure modes:

I'm quite happy with the result. Provides clean light in the rear with an nice line on the ground without being overly bright. Btw, I just have the camera mounted, it is not hooked up yet as I still need to put in Dom's unit and do the wiring so I can't let you know if it helps visibility on the camera at night. It was -3 out when I did this install and I was in an unheated garage. I was freezing but determined to get the lights done and camera mounted. Once I'm done thawing out I'll work on the tvnav2go unit install when I determine what I want to do with the switch setup.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:02 AM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Brilliant! Awesome idea on the power tap!

Excellent writeup and even better workmanship.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:05 AM
Starcraft II addict

Originally Posted by kennyc
Brilliant! Awesome idea on the power tap!

Excellent writeup and even better workmanship.
Thanks!!!

btw, Your write up on the backup camera is what made me want to do that install.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:34 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks great! I'll switch to this whenever (if ever) my existing cathodes should go out. Thanks for the writeup and pictures.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:22 PM
Starcraft II addict

^-- No problem! I couldn't understand why people were putting in 2 sets of 6" cc tubes when they had the backup camera when a single set of 4" tubes does the job quite well. Hopefully I'll run into someone with a doube cc tube install so I can get a side by side comparision as to the light output.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:59 PM
FOR SALE - BM

man that looks great. i have my second set of LEDs go out and now i think i want to do this.. where did you get those cathodes from
Old 01-18-2007, 10:48 PM
Bone stock tl-s

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by drdamian
man that looks great. i have my second set of LEDs go out and now i think i want to do this.. where did you get those cathodes from
man why doesn't anybody look in the THE 3G GARAGE FIRST it's in big bold orange letters you'll find a ton of info including this one in there, under lighting, or check here https://acurazine.com/forums/search.php you'll find everything here
Old 01-18-2007, 11:01 PM
Starcraft II addict

^-- lol, easy there. You are right though.

The cathodes can be purchased from about anywhere that carries computer parts. They are very common computer modding item. Any local computer store (a real computer store, not best buy), newegg, and many other online lighting accessory or computer parts sites.

I bought mine from a local computer store in which I'm friends with the owner. My next choice for purchase would have been either newegg or microcenter.
Old 01-19-2007, 07:29 AM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
Good work. Yea I wanted more light on mine reason why I have two cathodes instead of one. We turned off one before and it still produced more light than just the stock ones, but it looked better with both on.
Old 01-19-2007, 11:15 AM
Racer

I do like how it is brighter than the stock look. I don't have the backup camera but I would imagine that having 2 bulbs does help in lighting the rear area. Either way, 12" or 4" CC, the CC bulbs are the way to go to mimic the Lexus license plate lights.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:48 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
I wanted to mention we had some serious winter storm weather as they called it here in Texas over the past week. And the lights work perfect in 20 degree weather, with ice on them and everything.
Old 01-19-2007, 05:57 PM
05 TL

Looks good... Now you get to hear how you are making it easier for the cops to see your license plate...

I do like how you used the spades and not used wire taps..
Old 12-28-2007, 12:42 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
for this install did you just make 4 connectors with your dremmel and plug them into the existing plugs where they normally plug into the bulbs? or did you only use 1 plug and connect the two cathodes together and wire it up to one conector?
Old 12-28-2007, 01:01 PM
Racer

i also have no idea where you got the red and the black wires from...
Old 12-28-2007, 01:25 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts
For my install, I just tinned the end of the wire with solder (about 3/8") and stuck them in the connector. Then folded the wires back over the connector and taped the whole thing up with some self-sealing silicone tape. I also taped the other connector up and zip-tied it to the main harness, out of the way. I too used the 4" tubes and some foil tape. I made some lenses out of clear acrylic and used clear silicone to hold it all in. Now I can see water in the light area after I wash the car. I'll have to search this out and see how to fix that next.
Old 02-11-2008, 02:28 AM
Team Anthracite Webmaster

i just did the install with two 4" tubes, but i did not want to use acrylic - i just dremeled the original pieces. When i need to revert to stock, i'll just pick up that piece- it's 3-4 bucks online (each)... i like it for the stock look.

I have both tubes running off one inverter, which is hooked into only one circuit - is this what you folks have been doing?

note it's not as bright in real life as depicted in the photo, but definitely brighter than stock.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/boingyleo/2257149884
Old 02-12-2008, 03:01 PM
Racer

I talked to a cop here in orange county and he said that it is illegal to make any modification to the license plate lights. even tho our plates are now brighter and easier for them to read... he didnt give me a ticket but he said its definitely illegal.