3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Closing doors w/ windows half way down? Rattle?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 03:06 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Closing doors w/ windows half way down? Rattle?

Hi,

I just noticed the front driver & passenger side makes a huge rattling (clunking sound) when I close the doors with the windows down... half-way.. or all-the way.down. If I hold the window when I close the door, the rattle doesn't happen. Similarly with the windows up all the way, closing is silent..

Seems like maybe a clip or something is missing to hold the window in place?? anyone with this experience? Mine is 04/04 build.

Thanks,
Old 05-20-2004, 03:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have this, when I found out about it, it scared the shi* out of me. Had me wondering if i closed the seatbelt outside or something. It only happens when window half way on my car tho.
Old 05-20-2004, 03:10 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by febdragon
Hi,

I just noticed the front driver & passenger side makes a huge rattling (clunking sound) when I close the doors with the windows down... half-way.. or all-the way.down. If I hold the window when I close the door, the rattle doesn't happen. Similarly with the windows up all the way, closing is silent..

Seems like maybe a clip or something is missing to hold the window in place?? anyone with this experience? Mine is 04/04 build.

Thanks,
There is no window rattle. There is no droopy headliner. There is no creaking. There is no tire issue.

Stop whining and start driving.

BJ
Old 05-20-2004, 04:09 PM
Racer

I have the same problem....
Many on this forum have mentioned that...
Old 05-20-2004, 04:26 PM
Administrator

Received 1,006 Likes on 575 Posts
Just performed exhaustive, in depth test. All the way open-rattles. From all the way open to just above middle-ok. From there to near the top-rattles in each position. Closed-ok.

It is good to know you are not alone.
Old 05-20-2004, 04:26 PM
Life is good.

I just removed the headliner from my car, no problems anymore!
Old 05-20-2004, 04:28 PM
Administrator

Received 1,006 Likes on 575 Posts
Originally Posted by 2004MT6TL
I just removed the headliner from my car, no problems anymore!
Now Acura will have to revise their headroom figures for those who exercise this option.
Old 05-20-2004, 05:21 PM
10th Gear

My windows also rattle. Defintely not the sound of quality. It should not occur and I find it embarrasing. Additionally, my "brushed aluminum trim"(that has a nice sound, doesn't it?) already has a ding in it from where my wife "tapped" it with the seatbelt while buckling. I don't mean from where she hit with a hammer, either, but from where she tapped it. The aluminum trim is junk. Not much thicker than foil.

This is also one of the squirrliest cars in a turn I have ever driven. And I average about 15 miles to the gallon in the city. That is easy driving, not flooring it. And the console squeaks. The interior looks nice, but it's not going to hold up.

But hey, my tires don't seem to be flatspotting.

I bought the car due to the styling, Acura's reputation for quality and my past experience with the 02 and 03 TL. I am not happy with this one and regret buying it. Acura needs to come up with some TSB's to fix the problems with it. As it stands now, the car is overrated.
Old 05-20-2004, 05:54 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by GSD98
My windows also rattle. Defintely not the sound of quality. It should not occur and I find it embarrasing. Additionally, my "brushed aluminum trim"(that has a nice sound, doesn't it?) already has a ding in it from where my wife "tapped" it with the seatbelt while buckling. I don't mean from where she hit with a hammer, either, but from where she tapped it. The aluminum trim is junk. Not much thicker than foil.

This is also one of the squirrliest cars in a turn I have ever driven. And I average about 15 miles to the gallon in the city. That is easy driving, not flooring it. And the console squeaks. The interior looks nice, but it's not going to hold up.

But hey, my tires don't seem to be flatspotting.

I bought the car due to the styling, Acura's reputation for quality and my past experience with the 02 and 03 TL. I am not happy with this one and regret buying it. Acura needs to come up with some TSB's to fix the problems with it. As it stands now, the car is overrated.
Another whiner with no issues, sniff sniff, with his world-class luxury car.

BJ
Old 05-21-2004, 12:21 AM
Cruisin'

Smile

Originally Posted by Ron A
Just performed exhaustive, in depth test. All the way open-rattles. From all the way open to just above middle-ok. From there to near the top-rattles in each position. Closed-ok.

It is good to know you are not alone.
Thanks... for your in-depth testing method..
Old 05-21-2004, 12:22 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by boltjames
There is no window rattle. There is no droopy headliner. There is no creaking. There is no tire issue.

BJ
dude~ this isn't whining...
just polling to see if this is a know thing or not..
definitely, the windows should NOT rattle..

anyhow.. peace~
Old 06-18-2004, 08:53 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Originally Posted by febdragon
dude~ this isn't whining...
just polling to see if this is a know thing or not..
definitely, the windows should NOT rattle..

anyhow.. peace~
Has anyone asked the dealer about this rattle? I do not see any posts that say a dealer/Acura said this is normal.
Old 06-18-2004, 09:28 AM
Cruisin'

I found that when I put a handful of small rocks in the storage compartment located in the driver's side door and shut the door... It rattles. Its odd, but the same thing happens when I do that to the passenger door also???
Old 06-18-2004, 10:28 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Originally Posted by currage
I found that when I put a handful of small rocks in the storage compartment located in the driver's side door and shut the door... It rattles. Its odd, but the same thing happens when I do that to the passenger door also???
if you put some pieces of fuzzy felt in there, once they get mixed in good, the rattle will go away.

...Hey why aren't these storage compartments bigger - not much room for stuff with all my rocks and felt in there.
Old 06-18-2004, 11:04 AM
team wdp rescue

close the doors on any bmw coupe.....I think the y all rattle....or any car with the window open....its just normal.......if you got one that doesn't rattle its prob. a lemon
Old 06-18-2004, 11:30 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by acuraforsure
close the doors on any bmw coupe.....I think the y all rattle....or any car with the window open....its just normal.......if you got one that doesn't rattle its prob. a lemon
None of the cars I've owned other than my Acura's have done this. I have a 325cic and it doesn't do it either, so your BMW reference is invalid.
Old 06-18-2004, 11:52 AM
team wdp rescue

barry you are right ...I shouldn't be talking in absolute terms......not every bmw rattles.......my friends 330 ci rattled when you closed the doors....and I noticed this on other coupes as well as they dont have the frame around the glass. But thats just it ....it has nothing to do with build quality...........hence some bmw's....lexus's acura's infinities etc...rattle with the windows down. By the way the gmc sierra I own the windows also rattle when half way down. Barry you are one fortunate driver to only have experienced this in the acura....congrats!
Old 06-18-2004, 12:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by acuraforsure
Barry you are one fortunate driver to only have experienced this in the acura....congrats!
I've been amazed at how rattle free the vert is. Convertibles by nature are usually rattle traps. So far, knock on wood, the car's seven months old and doesn't have a single rattle. Everybody's also been slamming Ford and their associated brands. I have a year old V70R and it's rock solid also. You're right that a sub-set of every brand's car rattle. I think what has everybody on the board so pissed is the high percentage of TL's that rattle and the number of rattles people are experiencing per car. Dick Colliver's confirmation of QC problems didn't exactly give everybody the warm and fuzzies either. For what it's worth, my TL-S and MDX never rattled either.
Old 06-18-2004, 12:37 PM
team wdp rescue

v.
For what it's worth, my TL-S and MDX never rattled either.
lol....I think we should trade lives....you are lucky!
Old 06-18-2004, 01:56 PM
Advanced

I have noticed similar things on several cars that I have owned. Its "normal." When you think about it, when the window isn't up, it isn't where it is "designed" to be and it will rattle some. Just don't slam the doors and run the risk of jarring the window enough to break it.

It's not a problem, just the way it is.

-tx
Old 06-18-2004, 02:04 PM
1st Gear

You must own a another car!

BJ

I really like my new TL, however, as a former lexus owner this car has LOTS of rattles and creaking sounds coming from the window and ceiling areas.

jatnova
Old 06-18-2004, 02:26 PM
SOLD

Originally Posted by jatnova
I really like my new TL, however, as a former lexus owner this car has LOTS of rattles and creaking sounds coming from the window and ceiling areas.

jatnova
Acura knew about the squeaks and rattles long ago.....this is why they created a custom sound system, in hopes that people would be listening to that instead or riding in silence listening to rattles. The stereo works fine for me, although therte was a rattle in the deck WHILE music was playing I could just not live with and got replaced. Definitely though if your coming from a Lexus, the TL doesn't give the tomb-like silent and cushy ride. That's what you get adding a little sport to the equation.
Old 04-07-2007, 07:59 AM
Cruisin'

I have a 04TL, I have noticed a small rattle from the drivers door with the window all the way up. If I barely let the window down the rattle seems to go away. Anyone else have this experience. Its been to Acura three times, they have replaced the seal but no effect yet? Any clues? Thanks, dap200
Old 10-25-2008, 03:01 PM
Cruisin'

Another whiner with no issues, sniff sniff, with his world-class luxury car.

BJ
I have noticed this noisy problem with the window half way down when you close the door. It is a legitimate concern. My girlfriend has a chevy aveo with less rattles than my tl. The aveo has manual crank windows and it makes less noise when closed than my tl. My tahoe with 232,000 miles had less rattles in the window. I want to know if anyone has a solution. When my window is half way down, you can push very slightly down on it and it will lower ab 1/2 inch or so. I think it is just very loose inside the door. As far as BJ's comments, spending this money on this car is good enough reason to post concerns about relentless rattles in the windows.

Matt
Old 10-25-2008, 03:11 PM
So Slick, bugs dont stick

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2000 tlp single owner here. Babied its whole life and does have the window roll down shut rattle. Other than that, sound as a, uh, idk, something quiet? ha 1 rattle in the center vent RARELY. Im happy
Old 10-26-2008, 02:15 PM
Racer

I do also have the same rattle concern with the windows down in any position but up, and another rattle coming from drivers side steering colum area, and another from the headliner I believe, and of course the rear deck rattle from stock sub, brand new 08 TL Type S, what the fuck Acura? Fix this shit already!!!
Old 10-26-2008, 02:45 PM
A Black TL

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The windows in the TL are not protected in the door. When u slam the door u hear the windows hitting something else. This is not good. U can really crack your windows if u slam the door hard enough. Tsk tsk acura.
Old 10-26-2008, 04:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
Originally Posted by mlong0005
I have noticed this noisy problem with the window half way down when you close the door. It is a legitimate concern. My girlfriend has a chevy aveo with less rattles than my tl. The aveo has manual crank windows and it makes less noise when closed than my tl. My tahoe with 232,000 miles had less rattles in the window. I want to know if anyone has a solution. When my window is half way down, you can push very slightly down on it and it will lower ab 1/2 inch or so. I think it is just very loose inside the door. As far as BJ's comments, spending this money on this car is good enough reason to post concerns about relentless rattles in the windows.

Matt
the reason this is that the TL uses the cable system in the windows to raise and lower them which lets them slightly loose. Its normal, there isn't anything you can really do unless you want to take apart the door and foam everything up and risk killing the motor inside the door
Old 10-26-2008, 04:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by skyfox23
I do also have the same rattle concern with the windows down in any position but up, and another rattle coming from drivers side steering colum area, and another from the headliner I believe, and of course the rear deck rattle from stock sub, brand new 08 TL Type S, what the fuck Acura? Fix this shit already!!!
Trust me, acura has done a lot a the factory to insure less rattles. the steering column rattle is the connectors for the air-bag. the dealer can apply some foam to the connectors. The window rattle has a tsb on it where the channels in the windows need to be lubed up. The headliner rattle is a loose homelink/HFL assembly. the rear deck rattle is either a loose speaker or a clip that has come out due to heavy bass.

Acura does a lot to try to stop the rattles, but they happen over time since the car shakes and twists and screws come loose slightly and clips pop out. As well i'm surprised that there aren't more rattles because there is a vast variety of materials used in the TL that expand and contract at different rates.
Old 10-26-2008, 04:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by TL|GTX
The windows in the TL are not protected in the door. When u slam the door u hear the windows hitting something else. This is not good. U can really crack your windows if u slam the door hard enough. Tsk tsk acura.
I doubt it can crack. If it did, acura would have a huge liability issue from glass shards falling and hurting people. All I can say about the rattle in the door is innovation sometimes lead to drawbacks.
Old 10-26-2008, 05:40 PM
A Black TL

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No i mean when the the window is rolled down and u close the door u can here the windows bang against something in the door. The windows is fine when it's rolled up.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:30 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
Wait... whoah...you guys have rattles in your TL?!?
Old 10-26-2008, 11:52 PM
Safety Car

Received 134 Likes on 77 Posts
I actually know what he's talking about. I realized this a long time ago. When I shut the door when the window is half down, you hear the window trembling upon impact.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:33 PM
Cruisin'

just got my 07 TL-S back in july and i found the same problem. i seriously thought the window was about to fall out. Bell Acura addressed the problem by adding "cushioning seals" to the doors. it's better but not by much. they say it's a "normal" condition. lol
Old 10-27-2008, 03:37 PM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
It's a known issue guys we all have it. It's "normal". If you don't have it, you are abnormal and consider yourself lucky.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:41 PM
Registered TL Owner

Received 95 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by rockyfeller
It's a known issue guys we all have it. It's "normal". If you don't have it, you are abnormal and consider yourself lucky.
Yayyy im abnormal and lucky! I just went out and tested this with the window at different positions and i dont hear the glass shaking at all.
But, I would be worried if it did. I still remember when I was younger me and my cousin used to slam the doors shut in my moms 90 civic and i remember the day that we broke the window cause it was down and we closed the door too hard. hahaha oops!