CLK 500 vs. TL

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004 | 10:33 PM
5th Gear

CLK 500 vs. TL

Guys:

I'm contemplating getting a MB CLK 500 over the new TL. Basically, I can get a slightly used CLK for just about 8k more than a new TL. The only problem is, my brain tells me to go with the TL (more standard features, cheaper, navi rocks the house), but my gut says I got to pull the trigger on a bad-ass luxury car like the Benz. What do you guys think? If you could get a Benz CLK for just a few grand more than a TL would you? If so, why? Why not?
Old 04-05-2004 | 10:37 PM
Cruisin'

As a new TL owner, after testing the 03 CLK 500, it is a better car, but it is a benz, I have heard bad things about the electrical, but I would hope the benz service is better than Acura. I would buy the 500
Old 04-05-2004 | 10:39 PM
5th Gear

What did you like about the 500 over the TL? The ride? by the way, I love Alberta. I skiied up in Banff last year-dopest place on the planet.
Old 04-05-2004 | 10:41 PM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

if you have plenty of dough to cover fixes and brake repair when needed, then go ahead. I heard the brake by wire mechanism is pretty expensive to fix. the E500 has them, don't know about the CLK. MB certainly speaks class and status.

the only thing I don't like about MB is that it looks so old inside compared to the TL, I like high tech, wireless, diodes, DVD-A, etc, on the other Hand MB still looks sweet on the outside, so it's more a show car for others to see, while you are on the inside driving it.
Old 04-05-2004 | 10:54 PM
Cruisin'

I tested a M3 and a CLK 500 2 weeks ago, The steptronic in the 500 was sweet, you can hold the tranny in 1st, not in the Acura it auto shifts, the big V8 is has a nice sound, in park step on the gas, you will notice the engin twist the car, that is the way it should be lots of tourqe. Their are no pillers in the 03 500 and the rear window go down, the only 2 door that has that option today! The M3 had loads of power but I did not what to drive a stick every day, I will try SMG someday!

I havent been out to the hills this winter, i'm in to the water sports now!
Old 04-05-2004 | 11:05 PM
Andrenaline Junkie

Basically, I think this. At a club or nice restaurant, a TL is probably never going to be valet parked up front, but a decked-out CLK has a much better chance. I know that is pretty shallow but it is the way it is and if you are buying your car as a status symbol, you just can't beat the Benz. A close friend of mine owns an '03 E430 sport package and a '00 500 SL convertable. The guy above is right. The interiors are dated and seem to look old before their time and the tan leather is very yellow. Also, my buddy seems to go through brakes extremely fast on the 430 but this may be more his driving style. I will say this, he was pretty impressed by all the standard features on the TL for the price and there were only a few things his 430 did my TL didn't. Plus, he's still plugging his motorola phone into the car when he wants to go hands free.

However, you are comparing a new car to a used car and that's a decision you have to make. If you were looking at a new TL vs. a new CLK, you would have to justify the extra $$$$. There are definite trade-offs and if you are considering used, you should look at all the higher end used cars in that price range. Also, even if you can buy a Benz for about the same money, you need to be prepared to spend a heck of alot more to own it.
Old 04-05-2004 | 11:14 PM
Senior Moderator

C what I mean?

A CLK is still a C class M-B. It's a good looking 2 dr hardtop. I think that '04 was the first year with no B pillar. It looks so good but is a $27,000 C class under the skin.

The 500 V8 is a beauty. It should be very powerful. Check www.consumerreports.com for the reliability and trouble reports from CLK owners. Look down towards the bottom of the list.

It is often confused for an CL500 but they cost about $100k.
Old 04-06-2004 | 04:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Throw in a Starmark warranty and going with the Benz is a no-brainer.
Old 04-06-2004 | 04:19 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by jdone
Throw in a Starmark warranty and going with the Benz is a no-brainer.
agreed. year and miles on the mb though?
Old 04-06-2004 | 05:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Wink A word to the wise...

[QUOTE=xpditor42]A CLK is still a C class M-B. It's a good looking 2 dr hardtop. ... Check www.consumerreports.com for the reliability and trouble reports from CLK owners. Look down towards the bottom of the list.
QUOTE]

Let me clarify my own quote! The Mercedes-Benz models are at the bottom of the reliability reports by thousands of owners to Consumer Reports. I believe I remember the CLK's being particularlly troublesome because I was considering one.

The warranty is only as good as the dealer behind it. If you really want to do your homework on this or any other car, go to the dealership and just hang out in the Customer Waiting Lounge. Drink their "free" coffee and listen to the owners getting their cars worked on. The lounges are the best part of the M-B dealership. :p Last time I loitered there, a type A CEO was screaming because his S500 was laid up and they gave him a C230 Coupe as a loaner. He was mortified!

Hmmm. I wonder what the give TL owners?
Old 04-06-2004 | 05:57 PM
Team Anthracite President

The Benzo is sweet! I think you should pull the trigger and get it.

But be forewarned, I can almost bet you'll never buy a Benz again. I had a 320CE (which I loved) but after paying for the maintenacnce, I can't see buying a car like that until I retire.

Mike Smeezy
Old 04-07-2004 | 08:12 AM
5th Gear

The car is a 2003 Silver CLK500 with 5800 miles on it. It isn't starmark certified (which I why I'm getting it at such a good price). I was thinking of trading in my '98 CL 2.3 with 76k miles on it, in order to get to a sweet price (app. 44k). I love the Benz, but my head is telling me that with the new TL's fuel economy, performance and sweet-ass navi, there should be no rational way of going with the Benz. that's why I wanted your opinions.....I love the new TL, but damn, rollin' up in a sweet Benzo would be fat. Of course, paying for repairs, fuel and general maintenance would not be so cool.
Old 04-07-2004 | 08:14 AM
Safety Car

I've owned a '99 E320 since '98 -- and my Benz has been THE MOST RELIABLE car in my garage since that time. Never any squeaks, rattles, etc. Only oil changes and regular maintenance.

Just ask yourself two things:

1) do you want a coupe?
2) do you live in an area where you can get by w/ RWD?

If so -- GET THE BENZ!!
Old 04-07-2004 | 08:21 AM
5th Gear

yeah, I want a coupe. I have one now, no kids, and i generally like two doors. I live in DC, so it snows about 3 times a year. When it does, I can take the subway. I like the fwd on my current acura, but when I test drove the benzo the rear wheel drive was nice. Plus the turning radius on the acura is way too wide, esp when compared to the relatively tight radius of the CLK. Nice to hear, though, that you haven't had any reliability problems with your benz. Consumer reports just about made my mind up for me last month when they slammed the reliability ratings for the CLK.
Old 04-07-2004 | 09:20 AM
Burning Brakes

Be carefull. There must be a reason why it is not Starmark certified. Maint/repair bills can be staggering.
Old 04-07-2004 | 10:19 AM
Advanced

i do hear that Benz have a lot of mechanical flaws... but then when you look at the resale value of cars... CLK is the best out of all... i guess it can't be that bad after all... Still everyday as i pass by this big Benz dealer in Manhattan next to the Lincoln Tunnel, i tell myself, "someday i will buy a nice AMG benz."

btw, i am only 22 =)
Old 04-07-2004 | 12:05 PM
4th Gear

M-Benz Maintenance

For M-Benzs of model year 2000 and later, all scheduled maintenance services are covered (i.e. free) under the basic warranty. The warranty period is 5 years or 50K miles, whichever comes first.
Old 04-07-2004 | 12:20 PM