Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Climate control running cold?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2004, 10:14 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Climate control running cold?

My climate control always seems to run colder than the temperature to which I set it. For example, when I have it on 70, it feels much colder (and I'm a guy who never feels too cold). Dealer checked it out and insisted it was up to spec. Suggested I point the AC vents away from me when using the Auto feature. Bear in mind that I'm in LA, so I tend to use more AC than heat, even in the winter. Anybody else have the same issue?
Old 01-20-2004, 10:36 AM
Rum Runner

Get youself a digital thermo from Radio Shack and check for yourself. If you are correct, have the dealer sit in the car with you and read the thermo for himself.
Old 01-20-2004, 11:25 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought the same and ran an precision digital meter (used for test experiments) in my car, I found the temperatures to be very acurate to my surprise.

They were within 1/2 degree of the setting of the system.

Remember the Radio shack ones average the temperature and have a delay in readout. The unit I had was instant, non-averaging.
Old 01-20-2004, 01:13 PM
Advanced

It compesates for the sun, you will notice the if the sun is warming the interior it will actully blow cool.

V/R,
Nick
Old 01-20-2004, 01:32 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Re: Climate control running cold?

Be sure to measure near the bottom of the steering wheel column, where the thermostat is located.

Originally posted by Animate
My climate control always seems to run colder than the temperature to which I set it. For example, when I have it on 70, it feels much colder (and I'm a guy who never feels too cold). Dealer checked it out and insisted it was up to spec. Suggested I point the AC vents away from me when using the Auto feature. Bear in mind that I'm in LA, so I tend to use more AC than heat, even in the winter. Anybody else have the same issue?
Old 01-20-2004, 01:41 PM
Instructor

I assume there's a seperate thermostat for the passenger side? Also, what about the rear seat vents. Do they get "driver air", "passenger air", "mixed", "left side/right side", or ??

(Still waiting on my TL, so I can't look at manual nor even try the experiment :-()
Old 01-20-2004, 02:48 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Majorhouse
Get youself a digital thermo from Radio Shack and check for yourself. If you are correct, have the dealer sit in the car with you and read the thermo for himself.
Good suggestion
Old 01-20-2004, 04:33 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Climate control running cold?

Originally posted by Animate
Same with mine...

I really believe its normal like others have posted - but still will take a temp test myself. Just today on the way home from work it felt cold at 70. It was about 27 degrees on the way to work, had temp on 75 and it was blowing hot, 55 degrees when coming home, had temp on 70 but the air felt cold.. My guess, like others have mentioned, with the sun shining in the climate control was probably just maintaining 70.

Smitty
Old 01-20-2004, 05:46 PM
Cruisin'

I have smilar issues...I thought it might be the solar sensing feature...I looked for a way to turn it off but couldn't find one.

I then realized I've always been a bit unhappy with the heat/cold in every car I've owned...so maybe it's just me.
-Scorpio
Old 01-20-2004, 06:43 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Re: Re: Climate control running cold?

Originally posted by KJSmitty
Same with mine...

I really believe its normal like others have posted - but still will take a temp test myself. Just today on the way home from work it felt cold at 70. It was about 27 degrees on the way to work, had temp on 75 and it was blowing hot, 55 degrees when coming home, had temp on 70 but the air felt cold.. My guess, like others have mentioned, with the sun shining in the climate control was probably just maintaining 70.

Smitty

I did test my 04TL with digital meter. It's always 2-5 below the marked temp. IMO, it's quite good enough. If I start to heat up my car from 25 degrees and set up 70 degrees as the mark, my car will need 10-15 mintues to raise the inside temp closed to 65-68. Longer you run, I get the better/closer results.

BTW, as dulnev mentioned in another thread, the mid-hi speed fan is louder, which may be caused by the smaller volume of vent. However, when it reaches to your temp, it's working quiet/smooth.