Sponsored by:

Cleaning Up The Previous Owner's Mess

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 08:00 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Unhappy Cleaning Up The Previous Owner's Mess

Hello AcuraZine (again),

First off, thanks for the warm welcomes a few weeks back. I've been lurking since! This post is about 80% rant and 20% advice request. I'll start with the rant (note: I really do love the TL once I'm inside; it's the best car I've ever driven, and I'm really lucky to have it…so please do not think I'm sounding too spoiled… my parents and I are more than peeved).

My parents purchased the TL for me, and are paying for more of it than I am. We ended up getting screwed by the previous owner: "I have the other set of keys up in my house in the mountains, and will send it to you" – 10 phone calls, and he claims he's mailed it to us, which he didn't. I got my key duplicated so that there are two, but this still pisses me off – and a few days after buying it, we stumbled upon this thread: http://www.audifans.com/pipermail/s-...st/053397.html (we bought the car from the same guy…dammit!)

In addition to not giving us the other key, I've discovered this guy took horrible care of his car. It's appalling, really. I took more than 40 photographs with my iPhone (that's my excuse for the sub-DSLR quality), and many of them capture the various areas which this guy has screwed up:

http://gallery.me.com/raj.r#100081

(every shot of the exterior with the exception of the engine bay is supposed to capture a large scratch) –the interior is pretty good, but the shift knob needs replacement.

The main thing that has me pissed off is how much of a liar the previous owner was. He claimed it was a 2006, but we found out it is a 2005. He also said he serviced it only at the local Acura dealership (and Acura of Tempe while he lived there) – both dealers were called (I'm trying to get goodwill on the 3rd gear TSB, which he never fixed and is pretty bad in the car), and that's a flat-out lie. The car has the notorious 3rd gear problem, and I don't have enough history with Acura to be granted goodwill (I don't think), so I'm just getting my MTF drained and filled next week.

Here is a list of problems that I've found:
  • Passenger's side tail light is cracked (going to get this replaced once I pay the car off)
  • Dent in "vinyl" of the driver's window (not sure what the material is, sorry)
  • Wheels are a mess (probably need replacement, I guess…going to upgrade to TL-S wheels when I have the cash)
  • Shift knob has cracked off top (another replacement for when I have money… suggestions? I was going to go with the 4G shift knob since I can get it for $42 from Acura OEM Parts)

That leads me to my question for you guys: is it even possible to restore this thing to good condition with a detail? I want to avoid taking it to a body shop, because quite frankly I am not ready to drop thousands just to get it looking normal (a few hundred for a detail is fine with me, though).

The problems I am asking about with regards to a detail:
  • Myriad scratches all around the car, some as long as 1 meter
  • Scuff marks on rear quarter panels
  • Touch up paint or some substance has been applied and is stuck on, but is protruding from the car. There are bumps of touch up lines, and they aren't matched (it's purple…).

The interior I am not too worried about, but the exterior is a mess –and it's not just because it's NBP, because these scratches are bad. I know how to tell if they have gone past the clear coat, but I think one or two of them may have.

The detailer I am planning on taking the car to is a local one: http://detailsplusauto.com/autodetailing.html –I am planning on getting the "Longs Peak" package.

If it does require body work, does anybody have an idea of how much this is going to run me?

Thanks for reading this long post, and sorry if this rant is in the wrong place. I've been meaning to vent for a while, but haven't had the time to type it all up. It's a bit disheartening that I have to spend money I'd like to use modding it just to get it to a place where I can start to mod it.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Did you buy this TL without even looking at it?
Old 10-20-2011, 08:09 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
WOW. My father owns a used/wholesale car business and IMO I would tell the guy you do NOT Want the car and need your money back and then some. Considering you didn't know the car was not a 2006 is a issue in it self. was this an eBay deal or craigslist?

Seriously would consider getting rid of the car while you can or having the buyer give you your money back. I would think thats mis-informing a person of the year of the car. For all you know it may have a salvage title lol.

i would get motor vehicle involved.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:09 PM
Instructor

We looked at it and drove it, but my parents are particular and didn't want to even take it to a mechanic. I voiced my concerns with the exterior, but they were ignored. Oh well. At the end of the day it gets me where I need to go how I want to get there, so nothing's broken, but I am a little frustrated.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:14 PM
Instructor

Nothings Broken ? You stated the back light is broken shows it in your list of pics lol...

I noticed in one of your pictures it looks like the car was spray painted... maybe just my eyes.
Acura 125 point inspection is like 100 bucks at most dealers i believe would have been a simple way to see whats going on with the car.

Good luck with the car
Old 10-20-2011, 08:21 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ISOSUNRISE6
I would tell the guy you do NOT Want the car and need your money back and then some. Considering you didn't know the car was not a 2006 is a issue in it self. was this an eBay deal or craigslist?

Seriously would consider getting rid of the car while you can or having the buyer give you your money back. I would think thats mis-informing a person of the year of the car. For all you know it may have a salvage title lol.

i would get motor vehicle involved.
Nothing I can do. Title is in our hand, so I don't think it has a salvage title. It was a craigslist deal. The guy is not cooperative over the phone –he wouldn't even give us the other key!

Nothings Broken ? You stated the back light is broken shows it in your list of pics lol...

I noticed in one of your pictures it looks like the car was spray painted... maybe just my eyes.
The tail light is just chipped/cracked; it still works, though. Pretty sure it isn't spray painted, because the paint doesn't look inconsistent color wise except for two purplish lines.

Acura 125 point inspection is like 100 bucks at most dealers i believe would have been a simple way to see whats going on with the car.
Me too. I asked to have it checked out, but I got the "we trust this guy, he seems like he knows what he's talking about" answer.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:44 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Raj, I'm really sorry to hear about all your problems. Your parents didn't do you any favors by not listening to your concerns about the car.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:46 PM
Instructor

At the same time, I can't be mad at them– they did buy their seventeen year old a super sexy Acura
Old 10-20-2011, 09:07 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Like you said, they bought a TL (with manual transmission!) for a 17 year old, I'm guessing their number 1 concern was it being safe if this happens:

http://youtu.be/hVlYwk_Kppo
Crashed my first car at 17, TL is even safer and I took that into account when buying it...

I say that since its already banged up, take a driving school, strip out excess weight, and track it every ---> https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-photograph-gallery-96/road-atlanta-hotlanta-challenge-2011-a-829382/

Why not?
Old 10-20-2011, 09:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 201 Likes on 145 Posts
Your parents are crazy man!
Old 10-20-2011, 09:45 PM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
how much was it and how many miles?
Old 10-20-2011, 09:48 PM
Instructor

15k; 84k. Price seemed okay for a 2006 model that had been serviced 100% by Acura with both keys (and he said he'd throw in a clear bra which never happened). I know, I know…
Old 10-20-2011, 09:56 PM
Instructor

well its on 04 right? I got my 04 with 52k on it for 11,500 truly dealer serviced with records. dealer was selling for 17,900. (got it wholesale) Car is mint and had minor flaw (headlights) and thanks to this forum i was able to clean them up

Again sorry for your loss in one way but you got a TL so its all good. just be careful on craigslist i got 400 in fake cash a few days the other day so i feel your pain
Old 10-20-2011, 09:57 PM
Instructor

It's an '05.

Expanding on one of my original questions: shift knob recommendations? I found the 4th gen TL shift knob for $42 shipped at Acura OEM Parts: http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/...4102-TK5-A01ZA

Last edited by mynameisraj; 10-20-2011 at 10:03 PM.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:19 PM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
GM Synchro fixes the gear problem.

I wouldn't bring your car for a detail, I'd recommend doing it yourself. The knowledge of learning how to detail your car really makes you love your car that much more. Most people say it is to hard or it takes to much time, but what doesn't? Buy a PC 7424XP- Menzerna Polishes and some pads for less than $300 and you can do it yourself and probably do a better job. detailingdomain or autogeek are both vendors on this site so you can't go wrong with either.
The following users liked this post:
mynameisraj (10-21-2011)
Old 10-20-2011, 10:40 PM
www.colradodetail.com

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Raj where are you in co? IM up in loveland...That is one used TL.....by the looks of it you need MAACO....JK i wouldnt go there but it does look like those scratches are too deep for polish. I can sure teach you how to detail the car if you would like to learn....ill only charge you half the longs peak... here is what i did with my car.... not nearly as bad but you can see how good it looks now https://acurazine.com/forums/wash-wax-23/my-first-attempt-detailing-my-car-796700/

i can also help out with other things need be....
The following users liked this post:
mynameisraj (10-21-2011)
Old 10-20-2011, 10:42 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Originally Posted by mynameisraj
It's an '05.

Expanding on one of my original questions: shift knob recommendations? I found the 4th gen TL shift knob for $42 shipped at Acura OEM Parts: http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/...4102-TK5-A01ZA
Well, that's the right part, but I don't know if it fits. There was "shift knob" thread earlier today that I put links in; check those out for alternatives to the OE knob(s).

As far as the 3rd gear issue, but replace your MTF with GM Synchromesh Friction Modified fluid. It usually solves the gear selection problems with the MT's.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:42 PM
www.colradodetail.com

BTW if you are in boulder....only thinking that bc thats where the detail place is i would take it over to bolder Auto and ask for phil. My mom has been using him for 15plus yrs and they are a great auto shop. They do alot of work on my wifes jeep mostly bc i am lazy.....

GM Synchromesh Friction Modified fluid a must..... makes all the difference....
Old 10-20-2011, 10:59 PM
Instructor

Yeah, I'm in Boulder. I set up an appointment with a repair shop that will put Honda fluid in –I am hesitant about putting GM fluid in because it was not made for this car…
Old 10-20-2011, 11:01 PM
Good Vibes

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talk about your fixer uppers! Good job! It will be worth all the hard work.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:19 PM
Instructor

Of course I am doing more than just talking about it…I'm trying to find a solution. After I find the solution, I will execute it.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:52 PM
Safety Car

Received 946 Likes on 650 Posts
Wait a second....so your telling me this guy advertised and sold you what he claimed to be a 2006? You purchased the car then afterwards found it it was a 2005? Ugh....

If this was a craigslist purchase didnt you atleast see the car prior to buying it?!?! im confused.

Im just having a hard time trying to figure out why you guys bought this one if the car clearly isnt up to your spec and the seller obviously wasnt either.....and the price seems pretty damn steep as well especially for a 2005 thats in questionable condition.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:01 AM
AZ Community Team

Yeah, I'm in Boulder. I set up an appointment with a repair shop that will put Honda fluid in –I am hesitant about putting GM fluid in because it was not made for this car…
Read. Learn. LOTS of threads.

GM Syncromesh works. Honda fluid does not work.

It really is that simple.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:28 AM
www.colradodetail.com

I put it in my car well worth it....i would cancel the appointment and do it yourself. I can teach you if you want or go to bolder auto they are great! GM Syncromesh FTW!!!!!!! your young and you have much to learn!
Old 10-21-2011, 09:05 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 166 Likes on 140 Posts
for a car with 84k miles. It's not in bad condition.
Unless its worse in person.

Due diligence wasn't done when purchasing this car.
Deal with it and fix the little things on your own. It'll be a great learning experience and you get to feel the honor of working on your own car.
Fk that seller, if he's ignoring you ohh well. He's a douche.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:49 AM
Intermediate

Get it detailed and see what she looks like. It may be a completely different car. I too have a 6-speed, NBP, navigation equipped car. Enjoy it!
Old 10-21-2011, 10:20 AM
2014 Jeep SRT

Received 1,615 Likes on 1,030 Posts
Originally Posted by JTS97Z28
Wait a second....so your telling me this guy advertised and sold you what he claimed to be a 2006? You purchased the car then afterwards found it it was a 2005? Ugh....

If this was a craigslist purchase didnt you atleast see the car prior to buying it?!?! im confused.

Im just having a hard time trying to figure out why you guys bought this one if the car clearly isnt up to your spec and the seller obviously wasnt either.....and the price seems pretty damn steep as well especially for a 2005 thats in questionable condition.
I was wondering the exact same thing. If you signed a bill of sale, they usually state that the car is sold "as is", so you're probably 100% screwed on the cosmetic/mechanical status of the car. However, if you and the seller signed a bill of sale saying the TL was a 2006 and it's actually a 2005, that could be grounds for legal action. If you're that dissatisfied with the transaction, maybe that's your next step. On the other hand, your parents just bought you an Acura TL, so maybe you can suck it up and deal with it..? Just saying...
Old 10-21-2011, 10:43 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
that's just terrible. Not the fact that the guy sold you a car like that but that you bought it at all. Or your parents bought it. I bet it was one of those "best deals ever". You get what you pay for
Old 10-21-2011, 10:57 AM
Registered 3.5L Member

Received 154 Likes on 137 Posts

I don't even know what to say....
Old 10-21-2011, 11:23 AM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
idkwtftosayeither!
Old 10-21-2011, 01:38 PM
Team Owner

Received 598 Likes on 416 Posts
Scratched up Acura TL >>>>>> my first car.

You may have to put some effort into making it look good, but that can be done. As for the fluid....I think you should read the threads here. The one thing you will learn is that a lot of the guys here really know a lot about these cars.
Old 10-21-2011, 02:26 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by RaviNJCLs
Scratched up Acura TL >>>>>> my first car.

You may have to put some effort into making it look good, but that can be done. .....

No kidding, >>>>>>>> better than my first car too.

And I agree, he's got what he's got to work with, now it's down to fixing what can be fixed, not worrying about what he "should've" done.
Old 10-21-2011, 04:50 PM
Instructor

I have no idea. My parents made the decision. I liked the way it drove. The frustrating thing is that they didn't want to get it checked up, and that they didn't bargain down enough. The lack of the key was the kicker. But hey, it's a NBP TL, and even scratched it's still nice.

Originally Posted by flyromeo3
fix the little things on your own. It'll be a great learning experience and you get to feel the honor of working on your own car.
I think it will be a good experience, yeah. This is probably the route I'll go, fixing things up slowly as I go.

Also, you guys will be glad to see this. Getting it put in next Thursday:

:wink:
Old 10-21-2011, 05:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts
Did you get a bill of sale that states that it's a 2006? More importantly, do you have the actual title? Or was that one of those "I'll mail it to you" things as well. If you have financed this car, the bank will probably have issues with it being a 2005 instead of a 2006.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:45 PM
ScoobyZINE

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Sounds like the parents paid cash for the car, son is paying back parents slowly?

There are lots of shady "previous owners" out there
Old 10-21-2011, 05:47 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by geekybiker
Did you get a bill of sale that states that it's a 2006? More importantly, do you have the actual title? Or was that one of those "I'll mail it to you" things as well. If you have financed this car, the bank will probably have issues with it being a 2005 instead of a 2006.
Says it's a 2005; got the title. My parents shrugged it off once they saw it was an '05; I don't have a problem with it other than price…no need for TPMS here.

Originally Posted by AMUA6
Sounds like the parents paid cash for the car, son is paying back parents slowly?
Yeah, that's how it's working. Debt sucks!
Old 10-21-2011, 05:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts
Well if that's the case I don't see that you can do much other than gripe about it. Nothing you can prove. The paint honestly doesn't look that bad. Those scuffs will probably buff right out. They don't look deep at all.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:02 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by geekybiker
The paint honestly doesn't look that bad. Those scuffs will probably buff right out. They don't look deep at all.
That's good to hear…I am starting to think the DIY detail is right for me. Just need someone regional to teach me. To the regional forum I go!
Old 10-21-2011, 06:16 PM
www.colradodetail.com

That's good to hear…I am starting to think the DIY detail is right for me. Just need someone regional to teach me. To the regional forum I go!
I already mentioned i would teach you plus I can show you how to change the MT fluid... but its up to you....
Old 10-21-2011, 06:17 PM
www.colradodetail.com

i have no idea. My parents made the decision. I liked the way it drove. The frustrating thing is that they didn't want to get it checked up, and that they didn't bargain down enough. The lack of the key was the kicker. But hey, it's a nbp tl, and even scratched it's still nice.

I think it will be a good experience, yeah. This is probably the route i'll go, fixing things up slowly as i go.

Also, you guys will be glad to see this. Getting it put in next thursday:

:wink:
ftfw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Cleaning Up The Previous Owner's Mess