Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Circumventing NAVI Disclaimer Screen

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2004, 09:28 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Circumventing NAVI Disclaimer Screen

Can it be done? I can recite that legal jargon in my sleep. I don't need to read it each time. Would love to bypass it. Any success out there?
Old 01-08-2004, 09:36 PM
Instructor

Wouldn't that be great? I doubt it's possible though. You'd have to get a modified version of the software.
Old 01-08-2004, 11:06 PM
Racer

I suspect that screen is displayed while the system is booting up - kinda like the screen you watch while Windows XP boots up. Even if you could hack the firmware so as not to display the message, the pause would still be there because the system is still booting off the DVD.
Old 01-08-2004, 11:26 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

I think the Acura logo (with the stars and stuff) is the real "booting" message. The other stuff still needs time to load (it takes time for that OK button to pop up). There's gotta be a way to hack that.

Does anyone know how much data (in gigs) is on the DVD? I haven't taken mine out yet.
Old 01-08-2004, 11:35 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally posted by fuque
I suspect that screen is displayed while the system is booting up - kinda like the screen you watch while Windows XP boots up. Even if you could hack the firmware so as not to display the message, the pause would still be there because the system is still booting off the DVD.

Good explanation. As Lore said, it still needs time to load stuff. If you block, it will take time to show you the black screen... very possible.

Maybe weeeg would know since he modified his system already...

BTW, anyon feels that LCD needs time to brighten?

I never put LCD outside, so never know if LCD always needs time to gradually light up under the cold weather... anyone knows? Thanks.
Old 01-09-2004, 12:47 AM
an Acura has-been

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by rets
Good explanation. As Lore said, it still needs time to load stuff. If you block, it will take time to show you the black screen... very possible.

Maybe weeeg would know since he modified his system already...

BTW, anyon feels that LCD needs time to brighten?

I never put LCD outside, so never know if LCD always needs time to gradually light up under the cold weather... anyone knows? Thanks.
Rets, I read in the svc manual that in cold temps the LCD screen brightness gradually increases, I have seen it in mine also.

I have to stop reading that thing (svc manual, not owners manual) and stick to the basics, I know more about the car than some service departments.
Old 01-09-2004, 12:50 AM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Originally posted by need4spd
Rets, I read in the svc manual that in cold temps the LCD screen brightness gradually increases, I have seen it in mine also.

I have to stop reading that thing (svc manual, not owners manual) and stick to the basics, I know more about the car than some service departments.
Yes, all LCDs need time to brighten. My 20" LCD that I use for my computer does the same, as does my 10" LCD on my laptop.
Old 01-09-2004, 01:02 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Thanks, Lore & need4spd,

You know we never move our computer LCDs out of offices or home, or test them with the chilly temperature. It's good to know and make sure...

You guys definitely know more than most of services guys, and lots of ppl here do, too. I got the same feeling when sales tried to sell me TLs in Oct, at the time, the only thing they knew more than me was already experiencing the test-drive in Sep.

Ppl will discover their services Dept. cannot understand what we talk about... My dealer was kind of confused how long 04TL should have the oil change...
Old 01-09-2004, 01:36 AM
CEO, Team Anthracite

I really should order a copy of that service manual.
Old 01-09-2004, 01:59 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by fuque
I'm not sure it's in the firmware, as one of the recent threads described how to rename some files & burn to a CD-R to boot up with Honda logo & get a better trip computer. I think it's in one of those files mentioned. I've read in one of the older "Windows Secrets" books that show you how to boot up Windows with your own graphic file instead of the MS Windows logo. Never tried but I know it can be done easily, at least with the older versions of Windows.

Also, Lore, I was told (also read some where) that the amount of data stored on the NAVI DVD disc is about 8 GB, so it has to be a DUAL layer disc. While most DVD readers can read both layers, as far as I know, no current DVD recorder can copy it. Can anyone confirm this?
Old 01-09-2004, 02:12 AM
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Well if nobody can figure out how to turn the message OFF, could somebody please figure out how to correct the spelling...

My personal tip on the Navi Screen is that I just use the sliver button in the center, and don't press the OK button on the screen. Just trying to keep my dirty hands off of the screen as much as possible. If I don't do it quickly enough and the screen turns off, then you just hit the center button twice.
Old 01-09-2004, 04:48 AM
Cesspool of Knowledge

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by jshih57
Also, Lore, I was told (also read some where) that the amount of data stored on the NAVI DVD disc is about 8 GB, so it has to be a DUAL layer disc. While most DVD readers can read both layers, as far as I know, no current DVD recorder can copy it. Can anyone confirm this?
Well, I'm not Lore - but I can give you some Data. (Star Trek fans, quit groaning!)

Currently, there are no general consumer DVD burners that support dual-layer DVD burning. There are rumours that there may be some dual-layer burners later this year (see here)

As far as how much data is on the current DVD, I won't know until my car arrives.

¿GotJazz?
Old 01-09-2004, 09:43 AM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Originally posted by ¿GotJazz?
Well, I'm not Lore - but I can give you some Data. (Star Trek fans, quit groaning!)

Currently, there are no general consumer DVD burners that support dual-layer DVD burning. There are rumours that there may be some dual-layer burners later this year (see here)

As far as how much data is on the current DVD, I won't know until my car arrives.

¿GotJazz?

AHHHHHHH! BAD JOKE! BAD JOKE!

Maybe I'll go yank the DVD out and see what's on it... But there has GOT to be a way to hack the BIN and get around the message.
Old 01-09-2004, 10:10 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
DVD is definitely dual-layer.

I don't mind the legalize at the beginning, as the system is, in fact, booting up. What I hate is the "ok" button. I'd like it just to go into Nav mode. If I don't hit it right away, I have the damn black screen.

Another thing I hate is the constant disclaimers in unverified areas. One would be enough, folllowed by the "if possible's". As it is, you get the warnings on every re-route. Glad I live in a verified area.
Old 01-09-2004, 11:45 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What do you call a thousand lawyers at the bottom of the ocean... a good beginning!..
Old 01-09-2004, 12:09 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by jshih57
I was told (also read some where) that the amount of data stored on the NAVI DVD disc is about 8 GB, so it has to be a DUAL layer disc.

8GB, I guess most of them are yellowpage infomation/details, right?

Some handy GPS systems on stores (some of them are more accurate than TL's) just need some little flash card to load the whole map... that's why I think this DVD uses its 90% more to contain address and info.
Old 01-09-2004, 04:28 PM
Racer

I have found that the easiest thing to do is to just ignore the screen for the first minute or two. It then goes black. Then I just hit the Joystick 2 times and the navi comes up fine.
Old 01-09-2004, 06:12 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by lakeman
I have found that the easiest thing to do is to just ignore the screen for the first minute or two. It then goes black. Then I just hit the Joystick 2 times and the navi comes up fine.
When Navi goes black, "2 times" means "wake up the Navi" then "click YES"...