Sponsored by:

Chicago Auto Show

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 06:20 PM
Bears Rule!(Well, kinda')

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chicago Auto Show

Hey all...

Have to say I was surprised by the total lack of attention the Acura line up was getting in general here in Chicago. I figured all the tech geeks would be pretty interested in seeing the new RDX, MDX, and TL Type S / Updated TL, but it didn't happen. I have to say that they didn't seem to do a whole hell of a lot with their presentation, other than send an RL on a dias and let it spin slowly for all to see. (That is, if people actually cared to come over an friggin' look.) Everything else was just plain jane. No mods. No same car / different wheels. No ASpec kit. Boooooring.

I know new pricing levels (bouncing closer to the Lexus/BMW/Merc heights) have deterred many, and that the new Type S pricing is a much bigger jump than the previous gen's Type S pricing, but still........tumbleweeds.

Of all the things I saw, I was shocked at how improved the Altima was. I remembered how unbelievably great the Lexus IS350's interior was (considering it's a total lift of ours with better materials), and why I'll never be able to do anything more than look at a Mercedes CL 63. Yowza.

Great show overall. Poor showing by Acura.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:29 PM

Received 5,939 Likes on 2,930 Posts
My guess is that the mods are going to suggest that this conversation be moved to "Car Talk". Interesting observations, however.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:57 PM

I figured more here since there's a slew of new TL options they SHOULD be emphasizing at shows like this. This is the car that kept the darn division afloat for chrissakes.

Show.
It.
Off.

I would have loved to have seen the ASPEC next to the Type S. Compare the bodykits. Let others see the different rims. Show that not every darn TL has to be the same thing.

Again, I was simply shocked.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:42 AM
Burning Brakes

I went yeaturday, and I must say, there diplay was boring. I wished they would of brought more cars and maybe some tricked out versions. They only had one type-s there They should put more and made a cool display like Scion. I looooovvvvedddd the Scion display.

I think Lexus's display was pretty cool. They had a HOT chick showning how the self parallel parking feature works on the LS460. They provd a point because she didnt know how to reverse properly
Old 02-13-2007, 01:03 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was at the auto show on Friday - tried to show up there late to avoid the crowd but by the time we paid, parked and walked 3 miles from the McCormick Place parking lot in the sub zero weather, we only had a limited amount of time to see anything. I liked the Lexus's concept car display too. You can tell that Toyota mimicked a lot of their design traits on the Toyota concept.

Did you you guys get a chance to hit up the Jeep or Chrysler exhibits? It was the one thing I missed.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:24 AM

That's what I don't get. This is their chance to show the TL off and they do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. The more I think about it, the more disturbing it is....
Old 02-14-2007, 08:24 AM

And the lines for the Jeep were insane. It was like being at Six Flags and waiting to get on a coaster.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:27 PM
#GOBULLS

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Is the auto show worth going to. I went the past three years and everytime I go there isnt anything new from the last. Last year I did wait in the lines for jeep off road and dodge car rides. They were worth it. One lady driving I remember was pretty hot too. I was also hoping to hear for Acura to have more cars. Only one Type-S! Whats up with that?
Old 02-15-2007, 12:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,183 Likes on 1,211 Posts
Originally Posted by Mindworm
That's what I don't get. This is their chance to show the TL off and they do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. The more I think about it, the more disturbing it is....
Acura put alot of emphasis in showing off the Advanced Sports Car Concept at the North American International Car Show.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:33 PM
Advanced

I went to the auto show in DC and it was the same boring crap you all encountered in chicago. I too was disapointed in Acuras display. I was looking forward to seeing the Evo X at the Mitsubishi display, but nope. Also nothing great from Subaru. Hoping for a glimpse of what the next STI will look like. You are right about Acura needing to showcase TL's various body kits, wheels and spoilers. Acura has some beautiful cars inside and out.
Old 02-16-2007, 07:54 AM

Why at NAICS but not Chicago? It's only the LARGEST show, space wise, on the circuit.

again.......ugh.
Old 02-16-2007, 08:45 AM
2007 TL Type-S

Well Acura did blow it on their display. They should have at least had one tricked out tl being as how that their money maker. For me that orange camaro convertible concept was well worth my 10 bucks. That car is so beautiful.
Old 02-17-2007, 07:51 AM

The Camaro.........meh.

It looks decent, but the changed front grille doesn't work for me as much as last year's concept, and I'm sure the production won't have those giganto rims.

Wonder what Ron-Jon needs to do to get a ride in there for the TL tho. You'd THINK that would be a no brainer.