Sponsored by:

Check Engine Warning and Software Update

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2003, 12:36 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
>>
Previous post:
I took my car up to 5001 RPMs and held it there until the Check engine light came on. Then the engine light stayed on.. even after I turned the car off.
<<

After 3 days of driving the check engine light went out.
yesss!
Maybe it burnt out :P
Old 12-09-2003, 01:36 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally posted by 2k4TLkev
i have 1300 miles on the car now and it still smells like rotten egg no matter if there is hard acceleration or normal acceleration...the service guy that does the paperwork thinks its related to the check engine light but hes not the tech so im still waiting for answers..acura survey still hasnt called me yet..i purchase the tl 10/31.. i think the dealer didnt give them my purchase cuz we were very unhappy with the dealer and my fiancee *****ed at the top manager at dealer..hehe...
I always smell something like that from the vent when AC is on, but it only happens once after the car starts. Since I have 4500 now, it's getting less and less. And, I always shut off the AC before turning off engine, and turn it on after my car is moving.

My dealer ever told me most of new cars would have that smell, it won't go away in the short time. It should be normal. However, I doubt what he said.
Old 12-09-2003, 01:41 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by Motavar
>>
Previous post:
I took my car up to 5001 RPMs and held it there until the Check engine light came on. Then the engine light stayed on.. even after I turned the car off.
<<

After 3 days of driving the check engine light went out.
yesss!
Maybe it burnt out :P
Usually, if the light is on, the car has problems. But for this speical case as my car has, lots of ppl here already said they're the crankshaft position sensor, software, or misfire issues.

My car starts to have this problems since 1500 mileage (4500 now). But, I revved my RPM over 5k since 1k. My stupid dealer still got no answer for me, I asked them to call Engineers for answers. Why other dealers can get answers but you cannot?
Old 12-10-2003, 09:25 AM
R&D of Team Anthracite

ok got my car back from dealer yesterday

1. Engine light- dealer says they cant recreate the engine light again and that the ecu doesnt show any stored codes unless the engine light stays on...is this true or are they bullshieting?

2. rotten egg smell - dealer say it is the cat convertor and there's nothing they can do abou tit but just let it burn that film over time.

3. memory seat loss - dealer say they cant recreate it again, tested over and over no loss, i forgot to bring the second key fob for them to test.. will take next service.. dealer seems to know about the issue and i think they have a fix for it as the service guys hint when he say they cant replace or fix anything that is working correctly when we were talking about the memory seat something about it being service bulletin.

4. Vibration - dealer say all TL on the lot feel that way, he say wheels have been balance to perfection but doesnt solve the issue..they say they know about the cold spotting...he says the car is still brand new and that maybe next yr there will be lots of service bulletins so he say just wait.
Old 12-10-2003, 11:06 AM
Instructor

2k4TLkev:
I had my ECU software updated per a known service bulletin and it has solved the problem, no more check engine light not flasshing and not stuck on.
I never had a rotten egg smell. not from day 1. Have you tried changing fuel brands? I use Chevron.
I think the key memory loss is not instantaneous, at least on mine it takes a good three or four days for the system to loose the settings. You can always tell because the 1 and 2 lights do not light up anymore until you reprogram them.
The vibration, In my opinion it was the tires. I changed to Potenzas and will never look at another Turanza. It also helped incredibly with the performance of the car.
My .02
Old 12-10-2003, 01:16 PM
R&D of Team Anthracite

rkillian,

did they tell you they did a software upgrade or u are assuming? im asking b/c i dont know if they did the upgrade and not tell me. ever since the engine light flash on me i cannot recreate the engine light no matter how many times i got 5000+ rpm. dealer say no code is store even if the engine light flashes.. you think i should believe them

as for the rotten smell...i use chevron, shell, texaco, and exxon ( i dont ever go to no brand/name gas stations)....still smell no matter what..

as for memory seatin i really care less about it, since members on this forum are experiencing the memory seat issue i jus wanted to see what the dealers would do so i can tell our fellow members.

i figure the vibration has to do with the tires, i took my car in service 3 times already, each time they gave me a loaner RL, TSX, and an 03 TL ..none had the vibration and all felt smooth at all speed, which gets me really mad that i paid 30+k dollar car and its rides like crap, i hope acura will get their butt up and replace those tires, hopefully they get enough complaints. I plan to get some 19's in feb so hopefully it'll fix that issue.
Old 12-10-2003, 01:20 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by 2k4TLkev
ok got my car back from dealer yesterday

1. Engine light-

2. rotten egg smell -

3. memory seat loss -

4. Vibration -
1. I got the exact answers as you had. Next time I'm going to ask him to drive it and rev to 5k RPM, then he will see it. The only way.

If the car has problems, yes, TL will save the codes and wait for computer access by dealers. But, dealers should call to Acura headquarters and make sure if this is not the common issue.

2. Are we going to the same dealer? NO, I'm in NYC, but my dealer gave me the same answer again about this car. He said the most of new cars would have this smell, and it will go away by time.

3. My dealer cannot duplicate it, and told me nothing.

4. About this issue, I'm kind of lucky, my TL doesn't have the serious vibration at all. It merely vibrates at 5th gear during 40-50 MPH.
Old 12-10-2003, 01:28 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I now have over 2K on my car, and the fotten egg smell is much less lately. Usually non-existant unless I pushed the car more than normal. So if you have the smell and have less than that on the car, there is hope! I don't know how much it depends on wheather, temperature and the way you've driven your car.
Old 12-10-2003, 01:34 PM
Instructor

I actually saw them hooking up the computer to my car, what they did after that ??? and on the order, they printed "Updated ECM or U software per service bulletin XXX".

Took about 45 min including complementary car wash.
Old 12-10-2003, 05:14 PM
Troublemaker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yep... i had a burning smell and sulphur smell for about 600 miles, then they both went away.

My Dealer:

Light Flash... They said they were aware of the problem and didnt even need to test drive. They just said they would reprogram the car with new codes

Memory Seat... They said they hadnt heard about it... but later that night on the summary it wrote they had contacted Acura and that the problem is under investigation at the factory.
Old 12-11-2003, 10:37 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by rkilian
I actually saw them hooking up the computer to my car, what they did after that ??? and on the order, they printed "Updated ECM or U software per service bulletin XXX".

--- rkilian --- what dealership did you go to. I live in No. OC (Fullerton) and purchased the car at Weir Canyon Acura. Just in case they give me a hard time about this, I can go to a dealer who already deal with this.
Old 12-11-2003, 10:43 PM
Instructor

ulangca:
Actually Gary at Weir Canyon is the service rep that took care of me.
Really good service from him.
Old 12-28-2003, 01:24 PM
Intermediate

Can anyone tell me if there is a version number I can reference for the software update? I just bought my TL and I would like the latest ‘patch’ before I pick it up. Does anyone know if there is a program interface and Mod for the TL yet? I have some software that runs on my old car that tells me all the engine stats and I would like something like that for my new car.
Old 12-29-2003, 10:23 AM
an Acura has-been

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
According to the service rep today, the TSB for the computer re-flash shows that this covers cars with VIN's up to 12,XXX (sorry, I can not remember the last digits.

So if you are above 13K, you have the latest software, below 13K you need to check with your dealer.
Old 12-29-2003, 02:25 PM
Pro

Originally posted by rkilian

Is this problem with both Autos and Manuals? The reason why I ask is, I just spoke with the service department at Metro Acura in Montclair, CA and he said that they haven't had any problems and doesn't know of a service bulletin.

Do you know what the service Bulletin number is?
Old 12-29-2003, 02:34 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by GoBig

My dealer said to me two weeks ago Acura doesn't issue the specific Bulletin# yet at that time. They just followed the tech guideline to complete the update.

Wish there is number now after two weeks.
Old 12-29-2003, 03:00 PM
an Acura has-been

Is this problem with both Autos and Manuals? The reason why I ask is, I just spoke with the service department at Metro Acura in Montclair, CA and he said that they haven't had any problems and doesn't know of a service bulletin.

I'll try to get something when I pick my car up in a day or two.
Old 12-30-2003, 10:28 PM
Pro

Any news?
Old 12-30-2003, 11:02 PM
an Acura has-been

Any news?
Will post on Wed.
Old 12-31-2003, 11:03 AM
an Acura has-been

OK, the RO shows:

Check engine light is lit, misfire, follow bulletin 03-033
Cause: P0305

seems the bulletin number is 03-033 (my guess is that it is the 33rd bulliten from Acura in 2003).

Gobig, sorry I forgot to ask if AT only or also MT, but the number should help your dealer locate the information.
Old 01-03-2004, 07:47 PM
Pro

Originally posted by need4spd
OK, the RO shows:

Check engine light is lit, misfire, follow bulletin 03-033
Cause: P0305

seems the bulletin number is 03-033 (my guess is that it is the 33rd bulliten from Acura in 2003).

Gobig, sorry I forgot to ask if AT only or also MT, but the number should help your dealer locate the information.
Thanks for letting me know. I have an appointment on Tuesday so I'll mention this info.

By the way, have you noticed any difference in the performance of the car?
Old 01-03-2004, 08:27 PM
an Acura has-been

Thanks for letting me know. I have an appointment on Tuesday so I'll mention this info.

No differnce felt.
Old 01-04-2004, 01:50 AM
Moderator Alumnus

My update was followed by Acura's Technical Advisory (then bulletin). Cause: PO301-PO305 misfires

Acutally, I may have illusion, my TL seems to make quicker acceleration from the stop. I'm still in my dreamland...

Side effect!?