3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CHECK ENGINE LIGHT!! Keeps coming on..UGHH!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 09:47 AM
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CHECK ENGINE LIGHT!! Keeps coming on..UGHH!!

Hey guys...has ANYONE had problems with their check engine light coming on? About a week after I bought the damn car (early Feb) the check engine light was intermittently coming on. Well, to make a long story short, took into the dealer 2 weeks ago and they had to order some kind of control unit and sensors (i lost my friggin service paperwork). NOW...i get in the car last night and the DAMN CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IS ON AGAIN, and it stayed on. It was on again when i started the car this morning.

AND before anyone asks, I always click the stinkin gas cap four or five times to make sure the check engine light doesn't come on..i have owned many Bimmers and know they are finicky about the gas cap being tightened as the check engine light will come on.

I am bringing into the dealer tomorrow morning as I bitched them out and told them they BETTER have a loaner waiting for me.

This is getting really frustrating, I decided against BMW after my 745i was stolen and totalled...it had MANY problems and was constantly in the shop, as was my 323cic and my 323ci. I didn't want to get involved with BMW as the 05 745i will have some exterior styling changes, the new 3 series will be coming soon, and I don't like the interior of the new 5's!!! I bought a damn friggin Acura (Honda) because of the "guaranteed" reliability and no problems stigma attached to these vehicles. My 99TL was plagued with problems and I dumped it after 5 months of owning it..the transmission was junk and Acura wouldn't do a damn thing about it.

Sorry for the venting..but this is friggin ridiculous. Only had the car a little over a month and already TWO trips to service...ughh!!! Maybe I should've looked at MB again!

This is really ticking me off too because I have some buddies coming over Sunday afternoon to help me install the Injen CAI...and I want this problem resolved BEFORE I install the intake, rip the headlights out to send to MR ..etc.
Old 03-10-2004, 10:33 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
This seems to be the common issue for early built 04TL, VIN prior to 12xxx (or 14xxx). If you search, there are tons of threads talking about this "check-engine-light" or "malfunction indicator light" issue in 2003. After December, most of them are fixed by uploading the new program only, some of them have to change their coil pack on cylinders or crankshaft sensor.

Since your car was made in Feb, you may not be in this range of VINs, and your 04TL is supposed to have the new program to run your engine. It's apparently the very rare issue.

There is another thread talking the similar issue last week. Engine Misfire at 4500RPM! by LT-Aruca

Wish your dealer could help you out asap.

Old 03-10-2004, 10:48 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I feel you Vegas_TL04. I have the same experience. Heck my check engine light turned on on my way home from picking up the car. Any my car has vin# 27XXX so it's fairly recent. See my thread at
http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showt...threadid=72968

They are replacing the Crank Shaft Position Sensor on it today. I will test it again after they fix it.

Hope your issue gets resolved soon too.
Old 03-10-2004, 10:51 AM
Racer

My VIn is 219XX so apparently this SHOULD have been resolved. I am taking notes and I'm going to report all of this to my service advisor.

THANKS EVERYONE!!!
Old 03-10-2004, 12:31 PM
Intermediate

Mine too, came on second day after bring home in late Feb. Dealer had to replace ECM- (the brains) and two oxygen sensors. They keep the car from a friday to Weds. and put 80 miles on the car to see if it happened again. Now it seems fine.
Old 03-10-2004, 12:47 PM
Advanced

my '99 TL did it many times too. The freaken Engine Light kept coming on. The dealer supposedly did something, but it comes right back on. It kind of stopped for about 6 months, but who knows? All my friends' TLs and Accords have the same damn problem. I am just lucky that my SRS (airbag) hasn't come up yet. Because all my friends' Accords (V6) have. I did mention something about Lexus being better quality somewhere else in the forum. This is the proof.

PS)how many car CD players are there in the world that have hard time reading burnt audio CDs? Other than Honda/Acura's?
Old 03-10-2004, 02:00 PM
Racer

Doesn't the manual mention something about if the gas cap is not secured tightly enough, it could cause the check engine light to come on? Might be worth a look see,
Old 03-10-2004, 02:04 PM
Racer

issue was already addressed in my initial post..YES...i ALWAYS click the gas cap minimum of 3 times...
Old 03-10-2004, 03:49 PM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
sounds like a Volkswagen problem :-)

there was a control unit and software issue, but too I thought it was resolved. My car (Vin 2600) is fine.
Old 03-12-2004, 11:41 AM
Racer

took my TL into the dealer and this is what they came back with:

The ECU and several sensors were replaced about 3 weeks ago. After running diagnostics, the computer is recommending to replace a sensor that was just replaced 3 weeks ago. My dealer called Acura Factory and worked with them. They gave Acura specific mesaurements, details, etc about the car. Acura factory said they were well aware of this check engine light issue and are currently working on a fix with Acura engineers. They said absolutely nothing is wrong with the car and it is safe to drive. They said it is just a bug in the software/firmware etc and they will contact me when a fix is avail. They cleared the MIL light and said there is a good chance it will keep coming on and off intermittently and to just ignore it. I asked them to check the Crankshaft Position Sensor, O2 sensors, software updates, etc and they said all of that stiff checked out fine.

Well, time to drop that Injen CAI in this weekend and take the headlights out to send to Mr .
Old 03-12-2004, 11:50 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Question Re: CHECK ENGINE LIGHT!! Keeps coming on..UGHH!!...

Tons of early-built 04TLs just did their software update due to the MIL issue. If Acura factory as you described confirmed there is still a bug behind the scene, if this is normal, should we have to wait for another Technical advisory info and go to the dealer one more time? I truly wish it wouldn't happen.

So far, my MIL is never showing up again no matter how I torture my engine, which is always running smoothly. Thanks God.

Old 03-12-2004, 01:26 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Re: Re: CHECK ENGINE LIGHT!! Keeps coming on..UGHH!!...

Originally posted by rets
Tons of early-built 04TLs just did their software update due to the MIL issue. If Acura factory as you described confirmed there is still a bug behind the scene, if this is normal, should we have to wait for another Technical advisory info and go to the dealer one more time? I truly wish it wouldn't happen.

So far, my MIL is never showing up again no matter how I torture my engine, which is always running smoothly. Thanks God.

Rets, why are you a fungus?????
Old 03-13-2004, 12:01 AM
Troublemaker

no offense but, you NOOOOOOBS!!!!!! jk jk

go to the dealer, tell them you need to flash the ECU or PCM and reprogram the car with new codes, and tell them to hook it up to the Honda Interface Module thingy... after they do all this the light wont come up again
Old 03-13-2004, 01:17 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by Turbowhat2
no offense but, you NOOOOOOBS!!!!!! jk jk

go to the dealer, tell them you need to flash the ECU or PCM and reprogram the car with new codes, and tell them to hook it up to the Honda Interface Module thingy... after they do all this the light wont come up again

I really hope this could be as easy as you've just done. We have told ppl to upload the new software/program by dealers. I'm not sure whether or not they have done this......

Perhaps, their issues are more serious with other sensors or devices.

Old 03-17-2004, 03:43 PM
Advanced

check engine lights come on all the time more so when you
re-fuel with the engine running but they are nothing my light is on now too and i dont have time for the dealer but im not too worried about it I drove a Nissan Altima for 2 years with it on and never a problem but thats me!!.
Old 03-17-2004, 04:31 PM
Intermediate

"INTAKE MANIFOLD". That's what mine was. The day I picked it up it was on and they did all these tests on the car and it turned out to be the intake manifold. They replaced it with another new one and I haven't had the light on since. That was mine, not that it's going to be everyones. But it's something to look into.