Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheap leather

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 04:15 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cheap leather

I know Honda has been notorious for using cheap leather, but this is getting ridiculous. I noticed number of people been complaining about butt prints on the driver seat.

OK, I can live with that, but I'm having problem with rear seats. Like most people, I hardly have passengers in my car. My car is less than 3 weeks old, but rear seat leather already seem really worn out and dry. It feels though, it's about to rip soon. Has anyone else experience this problem?
Old 01-19-2004, 07:42 AM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Cheap leather

Originally posted by dtchung
I know Honda has been notorious for using cheap leather, but this is getting ridiculous. I noticed number of people been complaining about butt prints on the driver seat.

OK, I can live with that, but I'm having problem with rear seats. Like most people, I hardly have passengers in my car. My car is less than 3 weeks old, but rear seat leather already seem really worn out and dry. It feels though, it's about to rip soon. Has anyone else experience this problem?
Try conditioning your leather with a quality product like Lexol.

http://www.lexol.com/newauto.html
Old 01-19-2004, 08:03 AM
Pro

I don't think the leather in the TL is cheap. In fact I think that it's of higher quality than most of their leather (the MDX also uses the same leather as of this year). I've looked at many new cars (Lexus, Infiniti, BMW) and found the same issues as the TL (butt prints, wrinkles). I think people are just being too picky.

As suggested, just condition the leather every month or two and it should be fine.
Old 01-19-2004, 08:07 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Just you lexol and accept it.
Old 01-19-2004, 08:39 AM
Advanced

Yes it is cheap. If you put it next to a BMW or MB you can clearly see it is thinner. Much thinner.

That test even works against the Japanese-sourced RL and TSX.

If you use the conditioner it will be better. But why should you have to?

The quality perception is a difference between people who are upgrading to a TL as an expensive, cherished possesion and those who are buying it as an inexpensive, three-year utility item.

There are many cost-based trade-offs cuts in the TL. Besides the obvious reuse of the Accord FWD platform, there is front speaker location, no vents in the doors, fake wood/CF, the infamous tires, etc.

What caused us to buy the car is that these trade-offs were generally made very well, producing a $33k car that looks and rides like a $50k car. And has strong enough resale to ultimately cost no more than some $20-25k cars.
Old 01-19-2004, 08:49 AM
Newbie for Life

Originally posted by DavidNJ

If you use the conditioner it will be better. But why should you have to?
Doesn't matter if it's a $100K S55 AMG with a Designo Package or a $35K Acura TL - the leather should be conditioned and maintained over the life of your car.

Take two baseball gloves: one you condition and treat periodically and the other you don't touch...now keep them in your attic or in your garage or on your porch where the temperature fluctuates with sun exposure. Over the years, you'll most certainly see the difference.

Anyone with leather in their cars will see a noticeable difference if they treat and condition their leather, period.

Do I think the quality of the leather matches a high-end car, no. Do I think you should maintain the leather so it looks better, most certainly.

I agree that Acura had to cut cost in some areas of the TL - almost every manufacturer has to make that decision to some degree or another.
Old 01-19-2004, 08:49 AM
Pro

Yes it is cheap. If you put it next to a BMW or MB you can clearly see it is thinner. Much thinner.
Thinner does not mean worse! I think the leather quality on the TL is great and it will last for a very long time.
Old 01-19-2004, 10:35 AM
Racer

I'm not sure I agree with the original statement that Honda/Acura is notorious for using cheap leather.

The seats in my 98 CL (w/130k miles on it) still look perfect and the only maintainance I do is vacuum them a few times a year.

I just hope the TL leather is that good.
Old 01-19-2004, 11:04 AM
What's a TL?

Originally posted by Stewie
I'm not sure I agree with the original statement that Honda/Acura is notorious for using cheap leather.

The seats in my 98 CL (w/130k miles on it) still look perfect and the only maintainance I do is vacuum them a few times a year.

I just hope the TL leather is that good.
I agree with those that are talking about needing to keep the leather treated...this is not a $50K+ car, so the leather isn't quite up to that level, but its pretty damn good. My CL leather also held up well as did my old Accord leather. There have to be some trade offs to keep this great car at its current price point. Some might think this stuff is thin, but as it wears, I think people will find themselves satisfied with it.
Old 01-19-2004, 11:19 AM
Cruisin'

I had a BMW and the leather in the TL is much nicer. The BMW was hard, not supple at all. A lot of BMW owners actaully complained that it was WORSE than Honda/Acura leather.

And a good fried on mine has a Mercedes with the perferated leather seats, similar to the TL, and they look exactly the same, butt prints and all!
Old 01-19-2004, 11:46 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by tripp11
Doesn't matter if it's a $100K S55 AMG with a Designo Package or a $35K Acura TL - the leather should be conditioned and maintained over the life of your car.

Take two baseball gloves: one you condition and treat periodically and the other you don't touch...now keep them in your attic or in your garage or on your porch where the temperature fluctuates with sun exposure. Over the years, you'll most certainly see the difference.

Anyone with leather in their cars will see a noticeable difference if they treat and condition their leather, period.

Do I think the quality of the leather matches a high-end car, no. Do I think you should maintain the leather so it looks better, most certainly.

I agree that Acura had to cut cost in some areas of the TL - almost every manufacturer has to make that decision to some degree or another.
Ok, I had a 95 Maxima with black interior (yes a crappy Nissan) had it since day 1, 90K miles when I traded it in for the TL, seats look just as good as new (leather part, but vinyl needed a repair as it cracked after 8 years, $75), never treated the leather or vinyl once, except for the one crack on the drivers seat cushion (outside where it flexes the most) I looked great.

Again, NEVER conditioned.
Old 01-19-2004, 12:32 PM
Advanced

I have a 95 540i and have done nada to the leather and it looks almost like new. Conditioning can't hurt but I think it is more hype than anything else. Maybe if the car sits out in the sun round the clock for a period of yrs, the leather might hold up better with conditioning, and that may depend on the conditioner used.
Old 01-19-2004, 12:45 PM
Banned

Re: Re: Cheap leather

Or try

http://properautocare.com/pin-340.html

Old 01-19-2004, 12:46 PM
Newbie for Life

Originally posted by LED Master
Ok, I had a 95 Maxima with black interior (yes a crappy Nissan) had it since day 1, 90K miles when I traded it in for the TL, seats look just as good as new (leather part, but vinyl needed a repair as it cracked after 8 years, $75), never treated the leather or vinyl once, except for the one crack on the drivers seat cushion (outside where it flexes the most) I looked great.

My point is that conditioning the leather might resolve some people's problem with the leather in the TL.

My father has a Ford Explorer with leather seats and for the entire first year he always complained how the leather seats didn't really look like leather, rather plastic. However, once he took my advice and began treating the leather, the pleather/plastic turned into leather and started developing those creases - similar to what's on the palm of your hand. Thus, it enhanced the appearance of the leather.

I'm not saying that if you don't treat your leather your particular car is going to develop cracks all the way through the leather. I'm merely trying to help those who have issues with their leather.

Hell, I'm happy that you never spent a dime on your Maxima's leather and had such great luck with it!!!
Old 01-19-2004, 12:48 PM
Racer

I find the leather in the TL to be more softer/pliable leather, which I prefer. The leather in my wife's 04 Maxima seems very thick. As a result the seats feel very wide and not as supportive as the TL's. I'm sure this is more a function of the foam, but I definitely don’t like the leather in the Maxima.
Old 01-19-2004, 01:16 PM
Instructor

Re: Re: Cheap leather

Thanks all for your input. I'll give this a try!
Old 01-19-2004, 01:20 PM
Newbie for Life

Re: Re: Re: Cheap leather

Originally posted by dtchung
Thanks all for your input. I'll give this a try!
No problemo. The only problem some people have with Lexol is the smell. If you apply, definitely leave your windows cracked for a few hours until the Lexol soaks into the leather.

Hope this solves your leather problems!!
Old 01-19-2004, 01:23 PM
Advanced

Re: Re: Re: Cheap leather

Originally posted by Z Factor
Or try

Yes, these are people to listen to. They show a picture of an NSX which comes with a plastic veneer on the leather (i.e., leather conditioner doesn't work).
Old 01-19-2004, 02:52 PM
Advanced

conditioner

Is there a good conditioner that does not clog up the perferated holes? I tried a little Maguire's and it clogged up all the holes. Luckly I only tested a small area.

Any advice would be grealy appriciated.
Old 01-19-2004, 03:20 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Re: conditioner

Originally posted by TXTL
Is there a good conditioner that does not clog up the perferated holes? I tried a little Maguire's and it clogged up all the holes. Luckly I only tested a small area.

Any advice would be grealy appriciated.
What I do is apply the conditioner to the cloth, spread it over the cloth a little by folding the cloth in half and "smearing" it around, then start by working on the edges where it's not perforated.

Then I move over to the perforated leather areas. I had that same problem.
Old 01-19-2004, 03:44 PM
Racer

I'm not a leather expert, but I think the leather in the TL is a high grade leather. Well before I got my TL I bought some expensive leather chairs for my lake place that also is "thin" and has butt prints. On the seat cushion is calls it "analine" leather. This is supposed to be the finest, smoothest, most natural leather. It is very soft and comfortable, but is not as tough as the other thicker leathers. It may not the the most durable leather for a tough automotive environement, but I think with good care it should hold up well.
Old 01-19-2004, 05:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Umm, I have my Nomex suit on, but I haven't done a thing to the leather in my y2k tl and the leather still looks like new after over 3and1/2 years?? I think the conditioners, cleaners, etc. remove the protective coating Acura puts on the seats. Just wipe with water or simple green if they get dirty.
Old 01-19-2004, 05:21 PM
Banned

My point is that conditioning the leather might resolve some people's problem with the leather in the TL.

My father has a Ford Explorer with leather seats and for the entire first year he always complained how the leather seats didn't really look like leather, rather plastic. However, once he took my advice and began treating the leather, the pleather/plastic turned into leather and started developing those creases - similar to what's on the palm of your hand. Thus, it enhanced the appearance of the leather.

I'm not saying that if you don't treat your leather your particular car is going to develop cracks all the way through the leather. I'm merely trying to help those who have issues with their leather.

Hell, I'm happy that you never spent a dime on your Maxima's leather and had such great luck with it!!!
Tripp, thanks I do appreciate all that people are doing to try to help one anouther.

I will say that about 3 weeks after I got the car, and saw the creases starting, I did Lexol the whole leather seating area to try and prevent it from being an issue, never did it before that time, but I am trying everything to keep this one in good shape, and to see if it helps.

So far Acura has said it is normal, unfortunately, it is only the drivers seat (which has the most time in it), but now the rear seats are starting to have creases on the verticle sections between the cushion and floor (where the perferated leather wraps down to the carpet), I have NEVER seen that before.
Old 01-19-2004, 05:31 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Originally posted by LED Master

I don't know about the '95, but I had a '97 Maxima and held onto it until I bought my '04 TL. That Max had some hard/rough leather. They called it "sport leather" or something. It felt like sitting on the back of an alligator. I don't think the quality of that leather can remotely compare to the softness of the '04 TL's leather. My Maxima leather remained trouble-free. I only conditioned it once. But then I'm sure alligator's don't condition their backs either, but they do alright... of course I'd rather not sit on something that felt like that.
Old 01-19-2004, 10:39 PM
Racer

First - Use Lexol.
Second - Rub it in WITH YOUR HANDS - Not a cloth.

Then, after it has absorbed, you wipe off the excess with a cloth. Any that is in the holes will be absorbed and will dissappear.

I have had the perforated leather in other cars and no problem.
Old 01-20-2004, 12:00 AM
Cruisin'

Honda does use cheaper leather! Thats a fact! In fact in the MDX its not all leather! Rear seats are leatherette. I believe the preforations in the center of the seats are not leather as well, but leatherette. Leather is much thinner, meaning not as durable as most european cars and will be subjected to faster wear and tear.

The TL is a great car for the money, but is of no comparison to the notorious leathers from Euro cars such as, Nappa and Connolly.

But for a $30-$35k car, you can beat the value!!
Old 01-20-2004, 02:21 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Rocketsfan
I don't know about the '95, but I had a '97 Maxima and held onto it until I bought my '04 TL. That Max had some hard/rough leather. They called it "sport leather" or something. It felt like sitting on the back of an alligator. I don't think the quality of that leather can remotely compare to the softness of the '04 TL's leather. My Maxima leather remained trouble-free. I only conditioned it once. But then I'm sure alligator's don't condition their backs either, but they do alright... of course I'd rather not sit on something that felt like that.
Actually it was not bad, not hard at all, after that Nissan started to really get cheap, so I would not be surprised if they changed to a harder leather.

But even so, the max was not as soft as the TL, but more like my friends 3 series than the TL is.

While the TL is nice and soft, it may be too soft.
Old 01-20-2004, 07:34 AM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Re: Cheap leather

Yes, these are people to listen to. They show a picture of an NSX which comes with a plastic veneer on the leather (i.e., leather conditioner doesn't work).

A picture has nothing to do with the quality of the product. I personally vouch for Pinnacle Leather care as it is one of the best available. It is very expensive , but it works very well