Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing the sportshift direction

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 08:11 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changing the sportshift direction

I don't have my TL yet but after driving one (due on Thursday ), I have to ask the question.

Is it possible to change the sportshift operation on the auto gearbox so that going up the gears = pulling back the lever and down the gears = pushing the lever....instead of the standard (reversed) set up?

This makes more sense to me as all racing 'sequential' setups are similar to this.
My current car, a Chrysler 300M special also has sportshift but in a transverse pattern but again, you pushed right to upchange and pulled to downchange. Because of this, I used it very seldomly.

I'm hoping that the setup incorporates some sort of switching mechanism which can just be reversed.......can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks guys and I'd like to also give the Mods a pat on the back for giving us such a fun and informative forum to share.

Cheers!

Sodde
Old 07-17-2006, 10:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
i have no idea, but heres an idea, reverse the wires (note i am not responsible for damages)
Old 07-17-2006, 11:28 PM
Administrator

Received 1,016 Likes on 577 Posts
You're not the only one who wants to do this. https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/best-antivirus-sw-firewall-protection-127826/
Old 07-18-2006, 01:04 AM
Previous Owner

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I wonder if you do this and take it in for service, and if something comes up w/ your tranny, if Acura would in effect void your warranty.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
it is very possible, and simple to do

if you remove the console, you will see a white box on the where the letters are

this is where the sports shift is controlled, you swap the 2 wires that control the up and down shift, and you are done
Old 07-18-2006, 07:30 AM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I was looking at that as well when I was fixing a rattle in the console area on my 04. Swapping the wires looked like the logical fix... Then be crafty and swap the "plus / minus" signs within the shifter bezel - even that shouldn't be difficult..

--Give us a rundown when your complete :-)
Old 07-18-2006, 07:44 AM
Advanced

I'd love to have this done to mine. I've often thought about it...the way I see it, it seems like the factory set-up is opposite to the way I want to shift.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by KJSmitty
I was looking at that as well when I was fixing a rattle in the console area on my 04. Swapping the wires looked like the logical fix... Then be crafty and swap the "plus / minus" signs within the shifter bezel - even that shouldn't be difficult..

--Give us a rundown when your complete :-)
i'm not doing it since i never use the sports shift. but since i had my car apart i decided to see how it worked. also you can not change the + and - signs. they are painted on a single peice of clear plastic
Old 07-18-2006, 08:28 AM
Racer

I've often thought about doing this. Since the first day I was annoyed with the direction of the sportshift. I would have prefered a 6MT but the wife refused to learn how to really drive and we share the car since it's the one with the child seat. I rarely use sportshift but I may do this anyway just to "correct" it. The actual change seems very simple. I just don't want to take the whole console out.

Ever since I got the automatic (after 20+ yrs with an MT) I've gotten very lazy.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:12 AM
The Boss

lol................ this thread cracks me up!!! Nice to see we try to redo everything

2 thumbs up guys!
Old 07-18-2006, 10:19 AM
Intermediate

Has anyone actually done this yet? Does this 'wire swapping' incorporate poking terminals out of multiplugs or merely swapping 2 terminals?
Thanks for the picture but it doesn't clearly show the mechanism and wiring to it.
I think the way to get around the + and - signs is just to cover them with a similar 'P-Touch' label. This will allow you to make the + and - any color you wish...within the 'P-touch' tape's range anyway!

Cheers!

Sodde
Old 07-18-2006, 10:24 AM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rbf351
i'm not doing it since i never use the sports shift. but since i had my car apart i decided to see how it worked. also you can not change the + and - signs. they are painted on a single peice of clear plastic
True - but I had the assembly completely apart (lockout lever was rattling) and if I remember correctly the clear plastic containing all of the symbols could be easily removed and modified/swapped.. I.E. may involve a little trimming/gluing yet I remember thinking one could perform the task with relative ease.

As mentioned, all depends on how crafty you are... One thing I hardly ever say to myself is: "it can't be done".

I as well don't plan on performing this mod. But I do agree with Sodde that it is a reverse of what many of us "auto" quarter mile/drag racers would be used to.

Cheers
Old 07-18-2006, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Sodde
Has anyone actually done this yet? Does this 'wire swapping' incorporate poking terminals out of multiplugs or merely swapping 2 terminals?
Thanks for the picture but it doesn't clearly show the mechanism and wiring to it.
I think the way to get around the + and - signs is just to cover them with a similar 'P-Touch' label. This will allow you to make the + and - any color you wish...within the 'P-touch' tape's range anyway!

Cheers!

Sodde
you can do 1 of 2 things, you can either swap the terminals on the end of the harness, or you can re-solder the 2 wires under the plastic. depends on how easy you want to make it, personally i would just swap the 2 wires at the end of the harness.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:47 PM
FIGHTING ILLINI

Originally Posted by anthracite06TLNAV
I'd love to have this done to mine. I've often thought about it...the way I see it, it seems like the factory set-up is opposite to the way I want to shift.
I believe BMWs and Subarus have it that way. The reason is the direction G-forces act when you are decelerating/accelerating (downshifting/upshifting)
Old 07-18-2006, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by KJSmitty
True - but I had the assembly completely apart (lockout lever was rattling) and if I remember correctly the clear plastic containing all of the symbols could be easily removed and modified/swapped.. I.E. may involve a little trimming/gluing yet I remember thinking one could perform the task with relative ease.

As mentioned, all depends on how crafty you are... One thing I hardly ever say to myself is: "it can't be done".

I as well don't plan on performing this mod. But I do agree with Sodde that it is a reverse of what many of us "auto" quarter mile/drag racers would be used to.

Cheers
you are correct, the plastic does come out very easily. the all you would need to do is cut and glue them back together.