Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car got broken into in parking lot

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 05:18 PM
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts
Car got broken into in parking lot

It was in a costco parking lot before 6pm, someone broke my window and took my backpack, it has my spare key in it. So I went to dealer today to have the remote and keys reprogrammed. Although the other remote will not work anymore, the guy can still come back to my house and use the key to open the door but can't drive the car away. How does he know where I live? Cuz I just renewed my insurance policy and the docs are all inside the backpack (with my address on it). Dealer said it will cost $1400 to replace the keyhole, I thought about destroying it by using a flat head screw driver, if the battery ever die I will just call AAA to come and open my door. my concern is, besides not being able to open the door with a dead battery, what others cons are there for having no keyhole?
Old 05-21-2013, 05:29 PM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
he was looking for something expensive in the back pack.

NEVER leave anything in your car visible.
The following users liked this post:
Undying Dreams (05-22-2013)
Old 05-21-2013, 05:36 PM
Pro

Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts
^^ exactly. You would have been over looked if you didn't have that backpack out he would have passed you up. He probably thought a laptop, cell phone, camera, or any other small expensive equipment.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:50 PM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by spaceboy
It was in a costco parking lot before 6pm, someone broke my window and took my backpack, it has my spare key in it. So I went to dealer today to have the remote and keys reprogrammed. Although the other remote will not work anymore, the guy can still come back to my house and use the key to open the door but can't drive the car away. How does he know where I live? Cuz I just renewed my insurance policy and the docs are all inside the backpack (with my address on it). Dealer said it will cost $1400 to replace the keyhole, I thought about destroying it by using a flat head screw driver, if the battery ever die I will just call AAA to come and open my door. my concern is, besides not being able to open the door with a dead battery, what others cons are there for having no keyhole?
I've had my TL for just under a year and have yet to use the actual key (besides starting the car). So dead battery...I think would be the only con.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:05 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by My"S"exyUA7
I've had my TL for just under a year and have yet to use the actual key (besides starting the car). So dead battery...I think would be the only con.

I have mine for about one and half year and never get a chance to use the keyhole, and i just got a new battery less than 6 months ago
Old 05-21-2013, 06:18 PM
Newb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Do a keyhole delete mod? It uses the small passenger door handle piece that doesnt have a keyhole. You dont have to destroy the lock. Hopefully he isnt that smart to remove the door handle piece to reveal the keyhole. If he wants whatever is in your car again or wants to steal your vehicle, he'll break your windows again.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:25 PM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I had my car broken into along time ago and know what that feels like...can you park your car in a garage until you decide on what your doing? Or pulling all nighters till you fix it one way or another?
Old 05-21-2013, 06:36 PM
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
i agree with spicynoodle, keyhole delete. no way he'll be smart enough to pull it off the handle. hopefully you can catch the guy. way back in the day in the early 90s my father's honda accord got stolen from a costco (price club back then). now i will make sure to be cautious at costco.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:21 PM

Received 705 Likes on 538 Posts
if he wants the car bad enough he will figure out that there is only a cover over the hole
Old 05-21-2013, 07:28 PM
Newb

Originally Posted by TheLowLife
if he wants the car bad enough he will figure out that there is only a cover over the hole
$1400 for a new keyhole.
Free to damage your own keyhole with a flathead.
$20 to cover it up.
You decide.

At the end if he wants to steal your car/whatever is inside, he'll do whatever is necessary, doesnt matter if he knows the key works or not.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
Originally Posted by jgj925
i agree with spicynoodle, keyhole delete. no way he'll be smart enough to pull it off the handle. hopefully you can catch the guy. way back in the day in the early 90s my father's honda accord got stolen from a costco (price club back then). now i will make sure to be cautious at costco.
Lol, you should be cautious everywhere. One isolated incident, 20 years ago and another one currently at a different Costco doesn't make Costco a higher than average risk for theft.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:26 PM
Pro

Thanks everyone for all the opinions, u no i always thought about deleting my keyhole now i think its the perfect time to do it, i bought the keyhole cover while i was at the dealer, i will not destroy for now and but if i notice my car has been entered then I will destroy the keyhole, some of my friends are telling i should sell the car and get another one....eh~~~~~~~~

i parked my car at a safe place tonight and tomorrow it will be receiving a new glass window and new tint on Saturday,

Is it hard to install the key hole cover? it was very easy to take off the one on the rear but couldn't move the driver door with a bare hand at all!
Old 05-21-2013, 10:27 PM
runnin a little boost

Received 256 Likes on 208 Posts
Was this in SJ?
Old 05-21-2013, 11:47 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Hi speed
Was this in SJ?
Yes
Old 05-22-2013, 01:12 AM
Newb

Is it hard to install the key hole cover? it was very easy to take off the one on the rear but couldn't move the driver door with a bare hand at all!
Use a flat head to release the tab, it'll come right off.
Attached Thumbnails Car got broken into in parking lot-20130521_230710_resized.jpg  
Old 05-22-2013, 01:13 AM
UA6
Safety Car

Received 700 Likes on 438 Posts
Pretty ballsy especially in a Costco parking lot in broad daylight. Usually those parking lots are pretty busy.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:15 AM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
can we do shaved door handles on the tl? lol one guy i kno has this done on his chevy after his keys were stolen
Old 05-22-2013, 06:04 AM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
But but the thief only wanted what was in the bag.

you guise can do the keyhole delete by buying an extra door handle piece, but that wont stop him from figuring it out.
but again, all he wanted was the bag
Old 05-22-2013, 07:50 AM
Safety Car

Received 946 Likes on 650 Posts
Man, there is some desperate fuckin low life people out there that are willing to go through all that in the middle of a busy Costco parking lot in middle of the day to steal a backpack. There are some dumb ass people out there.
Hopefully something bad happens to that person, then again, his life already sucks ass if he is resorting to stealing backpacks from peoples cars.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:19 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 282 Likes on 233 Posts
Shitty feeling for sure OP and sorry to hear. My dad's truck got the back window of his truck smashed and both sets of our golf clubs got stolen a couple years ago. Always keep stuff in the trunk if you can. Simple and effective, because unless they plan on stealing the car, they'll pass on to the next car with visible goods.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:32 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
This sucks man. I would do the delete but my guess the guy wont go from back pack theft to grand theft auto... thats a huge jump! Does the Costco have a camera? I know the ones in the Cities have them.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:40 AM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
I don't think he is dumb enough to come by your house and try to steal your car. He probably thinks that you have a tracking device on your car now and a cop sitting outside your door.

But I wouldn't destroy the key hole, just cover it up.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:50 AM
Race Director

Received 3,824 Likes on 2,847 Posts
+1 on not leaving ANYTHING in the car. I'm super anal about that. Backpack goes in trunk, iPod goes in center console, ect. My car looks like a modified rental no visible personal items whatsoever.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:22 AM
Level: Noob

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
The only downside to covering/destroying the keyhole is rolling up all the windows, if you do that.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:54 PM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Uhhh ... the beauty of being miserably cold or having other kinds of bad weather ...
no thugs on the streets looking to loot something, they die off in winter

now i have a real reason for not moving to a better climate

on the subject though, he's got a key, so he CAN start the car
why are you saying he can't drive it away?
did you swap the ignition lock?
broken or covered lock is no issue, to someone who doesn't care much about opening doors the civilized way
Old 05-22-2013, 01:12 PM
Q('.')=O

Received 721 Likes on 521 Posts
Sucks to hear man. And trust me, I feel your pain! Mine was just broken into at work 2 weeks ago. Luckily, I had my extra key at home and they just took my shitty radar detector.. pathetic low life douchebag losers.

I would also definitely get the keyhole cover because not only will the locks still work, but it will still look good and it's astronomically the cheaper option.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts
+1 on the keyhole cover. He can always break the window, but that's no different than normal and the chip is disabled from the ignition. Chances if he does go to your house that you'll have the same outcome no matter what. Go cheap.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:47 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by abirvalg
on the subject though, he's got a key, so he CAN start the car
why are you saying he can't drive it away?
did you swap the ignition lock?
broken or covered lock is no issue, to someone who doesn't care much about opening doors the civilized way
dealer reprogrammed the key and the remote for me, so only my remote and disarm/arm, only my key can start the car. The other remote is no longer good, but the other key can still open the car door.

yeah i was stupid enough to leave my backpack cuz i thought nothing would happen since i was only gonna be gone for 20 mins! my text books and calculator were also in there and this week is my final week.....ARHHHH

I talked to the costco supervisor and he said there is no camera or watsoever set up in their parking lot! Should I still file a police report? No disrespect but they never seem to be helpful in this kind of situation
Old 05-22-2013, 01:56 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by spicynoodle116
Use a flat head to release the tab, it'll come right off.
Although it was easy to take off the rear one, i find it super hard to put it back on. So my window guy put some of his heavy duty glues to finally set it in place, i think that;s what i will do to the front one too!
Old 05-22-2013, 02:13 PM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
Although it was easy to take off the rear one, i find it super hard to put it back on. So my window guy put some of his heavy duty glues to finally set it in place, i think that;s what i will do to the front one too!
i would not do that to the front one. they pop off and pop on very easily.

you may need to get access to the keyhole at some point in the future. do not glue it on.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:13 PM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I got my car broken-in to a few years back. They stole my car manual which at the time has the valet key, also got really paranoid that they'll see my car and drive off in it. So I got an alarm with this installed:

Clifford BlackJax 5:
Fully automatic: No buttons or transmitters to push when a gun is involved. Just get away from the vehicle. Quick response: BlackJax allows the criminal to drive away a safe distance. Then, a few seconds later, BlackJax blares the siren and flashes the lights to alert other drivers and witnesses. It then pulses down the ignition system to safely force the vehicle to slow to a complete stop. Siren blaring and lights flashing, unable to restart the engine, the carjacker has no choice but to abandon the vehicle.

...A pin needs to be entered everytime the driver door is opened. I think I took to the extreme, I paid for my peace of mind.
The following 2 users liked this post by JacOOlito:
madrussian190 (05-23-2013), Sean S Thuok (05-23-2013)
Old 05-22-2013, 02:21 PM
Q('.')=O

Received 721 Likes on 521 Posts
Originally Posted by JacOOlito
I got my car broken-in to a few years back. They stole my car manual which at the time has the valet key, also got really paranoid that they'll see my car and drive off in it. So I got an alarm with this installed:

Clifford BlackJax 5:
Fully automatic: No buttons or transmitters to push when a gun is involved. Just get away from the vehicle. Quick response: BlackJax allows the criminal to drive away a safe distance. Then, a few seconds later, BlackJax blares the siren and flashes the lights to alert other drivers and witnesses. It then pulses down the ignition system to safely force the vehicle to slow to a complete stop. Siren blaring and lights flashing, unable to restart the engine, the carjacker has no choice but to abandon the vehicle.

...A pin needs to be entered everytime the driver door is opened. I think I took to the extreme, I paid for my peace of mind.
That is probably why they stole my manual too lol.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:27 PM
Pro

does anyone know where i can get "Honda" sticker that is on the OEM glass?

Last edited by spaceboy; 05-22-2013 at 04:27 PM. Reason: missing word
Old 05-22-2013, 11:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
put your stuff in your trunk and cover the key hole as suggested. also disconnect your trunk switch if you are really parnoid so that you can only use the keyfob to open it.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:49 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai
put your stuff in your trunk and cover the key hole as suggested. also disconnect your trunk switch if you are really parnoid so that you can only use the keyfob to open it.
good point, how do you do that?

I was finally able to do the keyhole delete, i tried to take it off with bare hand but it became impossible to do so, it's probably easier to break the window rather than fighting with that cover. It received a new glass this afternoon, its kinda weird because that's the only glass that is not tinted. Will be getting a tint this Sunday..... man the last 2 days have been stressful, going to give it a nice wash with clay and wax this weekend because i feel like i really owe my TL a big apology, feels like my baby just raped!!!

Lesson learned, will never leave anything that attracts attention inside the car no matter how long i will be gone for!!!
Old 05-23-2013, 12:35 AM
Newb

good point, how do you do that?

I was finally able to do the keyhole delete, i tried to take it off with bare hand but it became impossible to do so, it's probably easier to break the window rather than fighting with that cover. It received a new glass this afternoon, its kinda weird because that's the only glass that is not tinted. Will be getting a tint this Sunday..... man the last 2 days have been stressful, going to give it a nice wash with clay and wax this weekend because i feel like i really owe my TL a big apology, feels like my baby just raped!!!

Lesson learned, will never leave anything that attracts attention inside the car no matter how long i will be gone for!!!
I think he meant the switch in the glove box compartment. /shrug
Old 05-23-2013, 12:43 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Sorry to hear bud. Which Costco was this?

San Jose is turning into a ghetto. But then again, most big cities have their nice and not-so-nice areas, with plenty of overlap.

and yeah, no spare keys in the car. Hide the wheel lock key, if you have one, in a hard to get to spot.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:53 AM
Pro

now i have no spare keys, and i dont plan to get one anyway,

This happened in the costco on Hostetter in San Jose, i usually park away from the crowd because i dont want any dents or scratch by people who dunno how to walk or park right! i didn't realize that put my car is a risk, i will still park far from crowd while making sure there is nothing inside the car!!!

i am also thankful that our car only has one keyhole

Last edited by spaceboy; 05-23-2013 at 12:55 AM. Reason: adding
Old 05-23-2013, 12:55 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
^ open glvoe box remove switch (should be able to un screw it or if it is like some of the dash switches, carefully pry up) and unplug it and tuck the wire away.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:38 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
does anyone know where i can get "Honda" sticker that is on the OEM glass?
Only way you can get this is buying a Honda piece of glass. Should have gone with a used window!

Quick Reply: Car got broken into in parking lot