Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Accident would that affect Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2004, 12:13 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car Accident would that affect Warranty

My Acura TL was in a accident and has 16500 dollars worth of damage. My question since my car is being fixed will that affect vehicle Warranty?????? Any input would be great thanks for the help.. My friends dad asked me this lets say 6 months to a year from now the transmission fails due to the accident. Will Acura Honor this or let you pay the bill??
Old 09-19-2004, 01:26 AM
Instructor

If you could prove that the transmission failure was a direct cause of the accident...it should be covered by the Insurance company.
Acura will and has to prove that it is from the accident...once you have this proof...you show the insurance company.
Acura will not cover damage from accidents...that's not part of the warranty...
Old 09-19-2004, 01:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by geminis2
My Acura TL was in a accident and has 16500 dollars worth of damage. My question since my car is being fixed will that affect vehicle Warranty?????? Any input would be great thanks for the help.. My friends dad asked me this lets say 6 months to a year from now the transmission fails due to the accident. Will Acura Honor this or let you pay the bill??
If it is repaired properly to factory spoecs and yours, then there should be no problem with the warranty items as long as they use factory acura parts and NOT aftermarket. Of course this will be a hassle with all dealerships you go to because they would be likely to blame anything wrong on the accident or repair but by law they have to repair the car under warranty if the parts are Acura and had nothing to do with the accident or were replaced with new ones because of the accident. How bad was the accident? I hate to say this but i would fight with your insurance company about totalling the car because I don't think you want it back after such major damage. They are supposed to do that if it is 50% of the vehicle value to repair.

Good luck with what you do though. If it does get repaired, make sure they do not bully you into bringing it to a shop of THEIR choice but rather YOUR choice and do not make compromises on the parts that they will likely want to replace with aftermarket. You tell them it is a brand new car and brand new OEM ACURA parts are the only parts that will be put back into the car of you will take them ( the insurance company) to court. Especially because it is a brand new car, they MUST do that or they are in trouble. Just an FYI to help you out.

Also, you WILL lose SIGNIFICANT resale value on the car being in such an accident unless you plan to keep the car yourself and run it into the ground over the next 20 years so beware of this also. I would say you get on the horn with your insurance company and tell themy ou do not want the car repaired because ti will never be like it was from the factory. My

Good luck

Greg
Old 09-19-2004, 02:28 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 09-19-2004, 09:58 AM
Racer

I recommend you have the repairs made at an Acura dealer owned shop, then any question of warranty won't be a three party fight. Also, they should be using only OEM parts. In the several states I have lived, you have the right to choose your repair shop and you have the right to choose the source of estimates. Also, I've found repair shops will generally match a competitors lower quote. When our Audi was in an accident, we got quotes from the Audi and Mercedes dealerships.
Old 09-19-2004, 12:40 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by geminis2
My Acura TL was in a accident and has 16500 dollars worth of damage.
Old 09-19-2004, 12:47 PM
I have the need for speed

Originally Posted by pettydw
I recommend you have the repairs made at an Acura dealer owned shop, then any question of warranty won't be a three party fight. Also, they should be using only OEM parts. In the several states I have lived, you have the right to choose your repair shop and you have the right to choose the source of estimates. Also, I've found repair shops will generally match a competitors lower quote. When our Audi was in an accident, we got quotes from the Audi and Mercedes dealerships.

I agree, if you get the repairs done at an Acura dealer owned shop, you will not have any problems. My friend who is an Acura tech said the dealer shops will check first the body parts since the vin's numbers are stickered on the fenders, hood, doors, and trunk.
Old 09-19-2004, 04:07 PM
Racer

why not ask the dealership