Sponsored by:

Cannot for the life of me choose a trans fluid

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 05:16 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cannot for the life of me choose a trans fluid

Hello

I plan on doing an ATF change today. I've been doing research and it seems the 3 best fluids i've heard of are Redline D4/F, Amsoil, or OEM DW-1. It seems like every time i'm about to settle on a fluid, there is something that makes me unsure and change my mind.

Redline heard a bunch of great things about, initially read about throttle response improvement, better shifts, etc, though also started hearing about later on once some had the fluid for longer, shifts being, while more sport oriented, harsher and actually worse than before. Also heard of a few people who once they switched to Redline either had major problems, or one post i read it destroyed a guys transmission (Though i wouldn't entirely blame that on *just* the fluid, though it concerns me due to my trans having around 180,000 miles and the last change being about 80,000 miles ago).

Amsoil, i haven't heard anything really negative about, and the DW-1 it seems like has improved a lot apparently since it used to be, and i haven't heard anything too bad about it either.

I can't really seem to find anything other than Redline in any stores near me, which is interesting because i'm surrounded by several major stores and large auto part stores, perhaps the website is lying -_- however those sites are recommending "Castrol ATF" which i'm not doing. I'm not cheaping out on $5 ATF, when this ATF is already something like 80,000 miles old. Plan on doing a 3x3, changing every 1000 miles.

The Honda DW-1 is generally good and people have no complaints, and really only maybe notice a difference in shift smoothness/quality when switching to Redline or Amsoil, but none the less the DW-1 seems like a perfectly reliable and good choice to go with, though again, i cannot find it anywhere in store around me, the only place i could find it was in a 6 quart pack on eBay.

I'm primarily hung up between Redline and Amsoil, i've heard nothing but good things about Amsoil, and Redline seems like it's either really good and people love it, or people initially love it but have problems with it later.

Aside from not being able to find it, the primary reason i'm hesitant is because of the mileage of the transmission and mileage to last change. Would one of them be "gentler" to use than the other? When floored or doing performance driving the car is still very quick to pick up and throws you back, but that's on the current, light brown unknown 80,000 mile old fluid.

I don't want to change to something "higher" spec *Like Redline Type F Racing i believe it is, instead of the Redline D4* and have problems. Right now, as can be read in a previous post of mine, the only "issues" i'm having is a very mild "rough" feeling when shifting from Park to Drive or Reverse. I've also noticed coming on recently mild rough shifts very intermittently, usually from 2nd to 3rd. As far as i know the transmission has never been rebuilt or replaced, in fact i'll probably be doing the 3rd and 4th solenoids, i believe is what i keep reading about on here, since it seems like at every chance people say past 60k you should change them. I'm at 180,000 and i don't think they've ever been done.

I don't want to have any problems, any input on which of these fluids would be better suited to my situation is appreciated.

To also state, in another post of mine i was able to get the maintenance records and found that up until around 100k - 105k, the car was actually regularly maintained. Oil fluid and filter, trans fluid, air filters, "recommended" maintenance, it's had a new timing belt put in, etc, if that would be useful at all in any advice some may give.

It seems whoever got it after whoever had it at 100-105 didn't follow through on the maintenance as religiously as the previous owner did, since the records basically completely fall off after that.

Thanks
Old 08-23-2018, 06:27 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Dw-1
Old 08-23-2018, 07:56 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 310 Likes on 215 Posts
If it's been 80k since your last trans fluid change, I would:

- Stick with OEM DW-1 fluid. Buy 9 quarts for a 3x3 drain and refill

- Purchase new pressure switches

- If you have an '04-'06, look into replacing the trans fluid filter. Not the biggest deal in the world, but if you're going for longevity, I would change it (it's relatively easy to replace).
Old 08-23-2018, 11:37 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 233 Likes on 160 Posts
OEM DW-1, 3rd and 4th gear pressure switches, transmission filter replacement, and solenoid filter cleaning (if you desire).
Old 08-23-2018, 11:59 AM
Cruisin'

I went and got DW-1, i'm doing the trans fluid and oil replacement right now, i'll report back either later tonight or tomorrow with the results after a few hundred miles of driving.

Thank you for the input everyone.
Old 08-23-2018, 12:09 PM
Drifting

Received 852 Likes on 605 Posts
You can't go wrong with the DW-1. It's actually pretty high quality stuff. I've tried a few others, Redline and Valvoline Maxlife. I'm currently using the Valvoline and have found it to be equal to the DW-1 in terms of transmission behavior. Redline caused more "jerkiness" of the transmission presumably because of less friction modifiers. The reason I switched to Valvoline (for now....) was due to all the positive reviews from bobistheoilguy. All the oil guru's over there fully endorse it as one of the best ATF's out there. Tons of guys have used it in Honda AT's with good results. I wouldn't necessarily tell someone to use it but I'm sticking with it for now. I'm in a 4G with the 6AT though, which is a completely different transmission than the 3G.
Old 08-24-2018, 06:53 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by commander freedom
i went and got dw-1, i'm doing the trans fluid and oil replacement right now, i'll report back either later tonight or tomorrow with the results after a few hundred miles of driving.

Thank you for the input everyone.
wise choice, imo
Old 08-24-2018, 08:47 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
I have had good results with the valvoline too. Seems to shift cleaner or something to me.
Old 08-24-2018, 09:23 AM
Drifting

Received 852 Likes on 605 Posts
Yeah, I change my fluid so frequently that cost starts becoming a factor. A ~4qt change with DW-1 is about $35 - $40 in fluid. The Valvoline ML is $18 at Walmart. I change mine about 4X a year so it adds up. But more importantly, there's a boatload of guys that have used it on Bobistheoilguy that are way over what's considered the "normal" life of their transmission (according to rough estimates of mileage where others have failed). That includes plenty of Honda's and a variety of domestic and import vehicles, and there's a rather large sample size. And the claim from the Valvoline isn't high performance like the Redline or Amsoil. It's specifically marketed to extend the life of the tranny. Based on that and the anecdotal evidence, I'm sticking with it.
Old 08-24-2018, 10:18 AM
Cruisin'

Just got done changing the oil and filter. About to go to the ATF. Will update later today.

I read another post about someone who used Valvoline and was happy with it, i'll bear that in mind on my next change.

I was able to find a Honda dealership not too far from me and went there, and they had plenty of Honda Genuine DW-1 fluid. 4 quarts for like $39 i believe it was. Draining from the bolt should call for 3.1 quarts.
Old 08-24-2018, 02:07 PM
Cruisin'

Got the ATF out, and have spent the past 35-40 minutes trying to break the fill bolt below the fuse box in the engine bay. 80,000 miles of neglect have it rock solid and refusing to budge even a little -_-

Going to get a breaker bar, and if i still can't break it that way, am i able to fill the fluid through the dipstick and get the same results?

Also, i heard about how on the ATF drain plug there is supposed to be metal shavings which is normal, how about grey, what probably used to be metal, sludge?

Sure seems good to me.
Old 08-24-2018, 02:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 233 Likes on 160 Posts
30-40 minutes?! Yikes! Go get a breaker bar and make your life easier. The fill bolt will be on tight if it hasn't been opened in a while. Just make sure you have the appropriate extensions and you should be able to crack it open with a few solid pulls.

You CAN fill your transmission through the dipstick, but it will take a LOT longer.

And yes, the drain plug often will have grey sludge like material on it. There is a magnet that will "pull" the metal shavings towards the drain bolt. Clean that baby off, add a new crush washer, and call it a day.
Old 08-24-2018, 04:36 PM
Cruisin'

After getting the breaker bar and pulling so hard i was genuinely worried i'd pull the car off the ramps, an ungodly crack tore through the neighborhood. 3 things went through my mind.

1. I just snapped the bolt (Which actually happened to the frontal 10mm on the splash guard under the transmission, ended up removing it entirely after also snapping 2 of the plastic clips)

2. I just broke the tool or an extension

3. I actually broke the bolt

Can't believe i was actually able to break it and it came right off. *SO* much dust and crap came flying up when it finally broke free. Filled it with 3 quarts instead of "3.1" since knowing how i am i'll end up overfilling it, and having to get under it again and drain some out.

The dipstick read a little above the lower marker, but below halfway between them. I'd think as long as i'm above the lower marker i should be ok. Now, it's probably just because i'm so happy to have finally changed the fluids, but it seemed after running for a few minutes once i put the new fluid in and took it off the ramps, to be shifting better when not moving and going from park, to drive, reverse. Still jerks a little bit but doesn't seem as bad as it was. Took it for a little drive and it also seems to be shifting a bit better, though again, i may just be convincing myself it is because i'm glad to have finally done it. There is however a noticeable improvement in throttle response, specifically 2nd and 3rd gear.

Here's hoping 200 miles down the line i don't start getting major slippage, didn't do a 3x3 though so i'm not too worried. For how old the fluid was, the trans mileage and age, would a 3x3, doing a change every 1000 miles until i've done it 3 times, be too long to wait or is that actually better?

Wondering if i should go with doing a change every 500-800 instead of 1000, even though the trans fluid was changed pretty regularly up until ~100,000, i don't want to fluid shock the trans by doing a full on 3x3 too quickly on 80,000 mile old ATF.

Thanks

Last edited by Commander Freedom; 08-24-2018 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Removed splash guard
Old 09-02-2018, 07:13 PM
Mr. Detail

Received 198 Likes on 151 Posts
When I bought my first Maxima (it was a 2002) it was apparent with 113k miles the fluid hadn't been changed in a long time, if ever. It was pretty much jet black. So I was doing the same thing as with a Honda/Acura, drain and fill. Did it 4 times over about 5000 miles. By then I'd got most of the oil fluid out and it had the normal red color and smell. After that I did it every 30k miles. Transmission was shifting fine right up to when a drunk in an F-250 ran a light and totaled my car.

I'd just do a drain and fill every 1000-2000 miles until you've done it 3 times.
Old 09-08-2018, 09:46 PM
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts
Go with what makes you feel comfortable. I have been using Castrol Import ATF for years in all our Acura/Honda vehicles ( 4) with great sucess. All have over a 100k with one at 360K.
Old 09-09-2018, 04:14 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
One question: How often do you change the 3rd and 4th pressure switches? I changed mine six years ago and I'm not sure when should I replace them again.
Old 09-10-2018, 05:48 PM
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by optical24
One question: How often do you change the 3rd and 4th pressure switches? I changed mine six years ago and I'm not sure when should I replace them again.

Not sure if your question was for me, but they have not been changed in any of the vehicles. All are original.