Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can You Rewire Fog lights to turn on during Parking Lights? 3G Garage #G-029

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 09:32 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
As I understand it...
The lights would go on/off ONLY by the switch or by the sensor wire. High beams shouldn't matter with this mod.

If your parking lights are the sensor, the fogs will come on and stay on anytime the parking lights are on, regardless of the high or low beams.

I plan to tap into the "wiper motor" as the sensor which is an ignition based wire. This means I can run fogs EXCLUSIVELY, all by themselves... but they will cut off with the car.

... but again, I'm hoping the smart folks who have done this mod will confirm this.

Originally Posted by KJSmitty
So I have complete control of the fogs via the OEM/current switch when no lights or just the parking lights are on (given the right "sensor wire" source), yet the fogs still go off if I select high-beam??

That wouldn't be too bad..

Thanks Kennedy
Old 01-05-2007, 08:00 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Kennedy
As I understand it...
The lights would go on/off ONLY by the switch or by the sensor wire. High beams shouldn't matter with this mod.

If your parking lights are the sensor, the fogs will come on and stay on anytime the parking lights are on, regardless of the high or low beams.

I plan to tap into the "wiper motor" as the sensor which is an ignition based wire. This means I can run fogs EXCLUSIVELY, all by themselves... but they will cut off with the car.

... but again, I'm hoping the smart folks who have done this mod will confirm this.
If you tie into the wiper motor harness the foglights will run at 100% anytime the igntion is turned on. If you want futher control you can install a switch to interupt the wire from the relay to the wiper motor harness. The High beams will not affect the operation of the fogs if it is wired this way.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
I did this mod with my 06 tsx using a relay, and the seperate switch from the honda accord. I use the parking lights as my powersource. This way if I cut the ignition and leave the lights on, the fogs will cut off. From what I have seen, the tl fogs are wired the same as the TSX.
Old 01-06-2007, 08:07 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by bhelsdon
If you tie into the wiper motor harness the foglights will run at 100% anytime the igntion is turned on. If you want futher control you can install a switch to interupt the wire from the relay to the wiper motor harness. The High beams will not affect the operation of the fogs if it is wired this way.
bheldson, so does the stock switch serve any purpose?

I assumed by wiring the "sense wire" to the wiper motors, I could turn the fogs on/off independent of all other lights (via the stock switch) anytime the ignition was on.

Let me ask a different way. By your explanation If my sense wire was the running lights that means my fogs are on anytime my running lights are on.

If that's the case, how did foot3h do this:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...8&page=1&pp=25
Old 01-06-2007, 10:08 AM
Pro

bheldson, so does the stock switch serve any purpose?

I assumed by wiring the "sense wire" to the wiper motors, I could turn the fogs on/off independent of all other lights (via the stock switch) anytime the ignition was on.

Let me ask a different way. By your explanation If my sense wire was the running lights that means my fogs are on anytime my running lights are on.

If that's the case, how did foot3h do this:

If you use the wiper motor harness as the sense wire the factory fog light switch would become useless as the fog lights would come on anytime the ignition was turned on. If you wanted to be able to turn them off you would have to wire in a separate switch to control the fogs.

If you used the running lights as the sense then the fogs would be on anytime the running lights/headlights were on. The factory fog switch would once again be useless with it wired this way.

What is your goal? Do you want to control your fog lights with out the headlights on, or do you want DRLs?
Old 01-06-2007, 02:40 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The above is why I figured one would have to completely isolate the stock switch in order to use it for complete control..
Old 01-06-2007, 03:00 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

If you use the wiper motor harness as the sense wire the factory fog light switch would become useless as the fog lights would come on anytime the ignition was turned on. If you wanted to be able to turn them off you would have to wire in a separate switch to control the fogs.

If you used the running lights as the sense then the fogs would be on anytime the running lights/headlights were on. The factory fog switch would once again be useless with it wired this way.

What is your goal? Do you want to control your fog lights with out the headlights on, or do you want DRLs?
The goal is to be able to use the fogs independently of any other light source, using the stock switch. I understand how a relay works. I was under the implression that the "sense wire" when closed, would allow current to run from the battery to the fog positive... but the stock switch controlled the ground, on close the ground where off interrupted it. Am i wrong?

Although foot3ch is calling them DRL's, he seems to have the ability to turn them on independent of all the other lights if you look at the other pictures (and if you turn them on during the day, you could call them DRL's)... So I'd call them optionally off DRLs.

What i don't know is if he ran a different wire to serve as the a switch interrupt, or if he's using the stock switch.
Old 01-06-2007, 05:33 PM
Pro

can you supply me with a link to foot3ch's write up?
Old 01-06-2007, 09:24 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

can you supply me with a link to foot3ch's write up?
Sure...
I did 2 posts ago, but here it is again:

Old 01-07-2007, 10:11 AM
Pro

Sure...
I did 2 posts ago, but here it is again:

I didn't realize that it was just a picture. I can tell you that he is most likley not using the stock switch when the headlights are not on.

I have mine set up as DRLs and I still do have control of my fog lights with the stock switch when my headlights are on. When my head lights are off my fog lights are on at 75% anytime the ignion is on. I do this by using a DRL module that I purchased.

I am not sure how you would be able to use the stock switch by using a relay. The only way that I am aware of to have control of the fog lights with relay is to wire in a separate switch to turn the relay on and off.
Old 02-03-2007, 10:39 AM
My Daily Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
did anyone figure this out using a relay? I did not have time to try it yet, but if someone has done it, got any pics or a writeup?
Old 03-16-2007, 01:31 PM
My Daily Driver

beuller......beuller......anyone?
Old 03-16-2007, 03:24 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Johnny, what do you want to know?

- You cannot use the stock switch and have indepedent control of the fogs using a relay.

- The relay simply make the fogs come on via another trigger.

- You can use the relay AND a second switch to independently control the fogs.
Old 03-16-2007, 03:45 PM
My Daily Driver

OK, so where do I wire what. I wan the fogs to come on with the parking lights, and with the headlights, dont care about independent control. I always have my HID's on during the day, always have HID's and Fogs on at night.

If I can get just parking lights and fogs during the day, then all lights at night, I would be fine with that. I can always wire in another switch at a later time if I need to correct?
Old 03-16-2007, 05:02 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Easy...

30a Relay:

- hook post 30 to positve battery post
- hook post 85 to any ground
- hook post 87 to hot side of fog light
- and hook post 86 to the hot side of the parking light

If you wire in a switch, the switch should "interrupt" the wire on post 86.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:48 AM
My Daily Driver

OK, so am I going to the hot side of the fog light on the connector at the ballast or the connector at the bulb then?

Thats the blue/yellow wire correct, but at which location?
Old 03-18-2007, 08:58 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by johnny--2k
OK, so am I going to the hot side of the fog light on the connector at the ballast or the connector at the bulb then?

Thats the blue/yellow wire correct, but at which location?
Huh? ballast? The ballast goes to the Hi/lo beam.

- hook post 30 to positve battery post (use a inline fuse)
- hook post 87 to hot side of fog light (the positive wire at the fog connector)
- and hook post 86 to the hot side of the parking light (to the + wire at the running light).
Old 03-18-2007, 09:12 PM
|AM.UA6|

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Huh? ballast? The ballast goes to the Hi/lo beam.

- hook post 30 to positve battery post (use a inline fuse)
- hook post 87 to hot side of fog light (the positive wire at the fog connector)
- and hook post 86 to the hot side of the parking light (to the + wire at the running light).

One question on the wiring from hook post 87 to the positive fog connector. Am I just tapping into the positive wire, or cutting the positive wire and connect to the fog connector end. Thanks
Old 03-18-2007, 09:54 PM
acura-cl.com OG

let me run this by you guys:
i want to run my fogs WITHOUT my low/high beams, i don't want DRL's in any way shape or form. I just purchased the DesignTech DRL module and was planning on installing it the way mentioned in post #27:
Originally Posted by DeadLock
If you don't want to use the DRL feature, just rewire the blue wire (ignition sense) to a switch or to the parking lights, so the fogs will only go on with the parking lights, and the OEM fog switch still has control to turn them on or off with the when the lows are on.
I have HID foglamps (real ones with ballasts) and was wondering if this would make them operate at "reduced intensity"?

let me know
Old 03-18-2007, 11:28 PM
My Daily Driver

just tap the wire.

I did mine yesterday and it worked like a charm.....

Thanks Kennedy!!
Old 03-19-2007, 12:14 PM
-=2005 TL=-

if I use this relay method, the foglights will work on a secondary switch even with our headlights being off AND the fogs will still work with the original switch when the headlights are on as well correct?
Old 03-19-2007, 04:41 PM
My Daily Driver

no, right now, as long as my parking lights are on, my fogs are on. The switch no longer works on the stalk.

If I wanted to have control of the lights, I could wire in another switch via the directions posted by kennedy, which I may do in the future.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:08 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Nope... See johnny's post.
Relay 101 -
If you want your fogs to come on independent of all other headlight functions you have to chage these:
and hook post 86 to the hot side of the windshield wiper motor (use the DRL install in the 3G garage as a guide), and you have to "Interrupt" this connection with a switch.

Think of it like this:
When you hit the switch (and close the circuit), it allows (a very small amount) of current to flow from the wiper motor throught the switch, to the relay and out the relay ground. This current flowing through the relay CLOSES the relay allowing current to flow from the battery to the fog lights...
I hope you now understand the dependeny of the "trigger wire". If you connect post 86 to a source that is sometmes on and sometimes off, current can't flow throught eh relay if it's not flowing to the source you connected it to.

hit the switch again and the current flowing through the rely stops, thus opening the relay, thus stopping the flow of current from the battery to fogs... thus turning them off.

that's a lot of thuses. class dismissed.

Originally Posted by topckret
if I use this relay method, the foglights will work on a secondary switch even with our headlights being off AND the fogs will still work with the original switch when the headlights are on as well correct?
Old 05-25-2007, 01:20 AM
'07 NBP TL

Ok guys, so I read stuff here and there and I have this idea. Probably wont work but I don't mind learning stuff from my mistakes. So here is my take on the problem.

So first off you will have your fog hid with a relay system that is hooked onto the battery. (A relay similar to this => http://www.thexenonstore.com/relay.php). So from there, we have a switch control. I believe as long as you close that circuit, the hid will turn on. So in the diagram, left hand side relay corresponds to the hid relay and there's two wires for the switch. The relay in the middle will be the one that we will put in. On the right side is the fog light switch which we will disconnect it from the car circuit by cutting the two wires. Connecting the wires as shown, we should be able to use the original fog light control to control our fog lights. In this case, as long as the parking lights are on, we can turn the fog light on and off as we wish. Will this work?

Another idea is off of what someone mentioned having a extra button turning the fog on and off. We can add another "VSA" button in the panel and use that as an on and off switch.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Alright...so Porkipine and I studied the circuit diagrams and did some testing last week, and we have concluded that there is no simple way of making the fog lights turn on independently of the other lights.

In older cars, the circuit looks like this:

As you can see, it is just one relay that controls whether or not the fog lights can turn on. If the headlight switch is closed (headlights are on), then a current goes through the #3 and #4 prongs of the relay, causing the switch between prongs #1 and #2 to close, allowing for the fog light circuit to be completed and the fog lights to turn on. When the headlights are off, the relay keeps the fog light circuit open, so the fog lights cannot be turned on.

The simple fix to that wiring is to wire prong #4 to another source (such as the ignition). This way, there is always a current going through the relay as long as the car is on. So the relay switch is always closed, and you can control the fog lights independently with the fog light switch.

So...we tried to do this on the 07 TL, and it didn't work. This is because the new TL's circuit looks like this (very simplified version):

As you can see, the fog light switch on the light stalk goes directly into the control block. Then the control block (which is probably computer controlled) sends a signal to the fog relay to tell it whether it can turn on or not.

So, the headlight circuit also goes into the control block, and when the headlights are on, the control block sends a current through the fog relay to allow the fogs to turn on. When the headlights are off, the control block does not send a current through the fog relay -- even if the fog light switch is in the ON position -- and the fog light does not turn on.

Now if we tried to replace the circuit through prongs #3 and #4 with another source (such as the ignition), we lose total control of the fog light switch because it is connected to the control block which we took out of the circuit. So now, the fog lights will stay on whenever the car is on, and turning the fog light switch will have no effect on the fog lights anymore. Now if you want your fog lights on ALL the time, then this is the way to do it (pull a wire from prong #4 and plug it into the ignition fuse located to the bottom left of the fuse panel). This means that whenever you turn your car on, the fog lights will be on, no matter if the headlights are on or off, but you can also never turn your fog lights off (except when you turn the car off).

Also, for those who want the fog lights to come on with the parking lights, you can just do the same thing, except you connect prong #4 to the parking light fuse instead of the ignition fuse (I think there was a parking light fuse...I don't remember right now). This would allow you to turn on the fog lights along with the parking lights. So whenever the parking lights are on, the fog lights are on, and whenever you turn the parking lights off, the fog lights turn off.

However, if you still want the fog light switch to be functional, you will have to wire the switch directly to the relay like so:

This will require that you pull two wires from the relay up through the steering column and into the light control stalk (which we don't even know whether or not is possible). We will probably take apart the steering column and light stalk when we have time to see if there is a way to do this.

An alternative to this would be to do what others have already mentioned, and wire prongs #3 and #4 of the relay to a new switch that you can install wherever you like. But this still means that the stock fog light switch on the light stalk will be of no use anymore.

Another possibility is to open up the control block to see how the circuits are being controlled, and possibly be able to alter the controls from there?

Alright...well sorry for the long post, but just thought that people might want to know this information. Let me know if there are any questions or if there are any mistakes in my explanations.

Disclaimer: The proposed solutions provided in this post are theoretical, and have not all been tested and confirmed. Please use them at your own risk.
Old 10-05-2008, 12:07 PM
Mistuh DRiiVA

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I rewired my fogs the other day when i was installing my 2005 accord fogs on my SSM TL. Just thought i should share some pics and say thanks to Kennedy for explaining the whole relay thing to rewire the fogs, it helped me with wiring the accord fogs as well. Now i have two seperate switches for my accord fogs and my stock fogs and i can run with those two on only to save my stock projector HIDs. Just thought i should share some pics.

Old 10-05-2008, 01:50 PM
usc
Racer

Originally Posted by maddsiick
Now i have two seperate switches for my accord fogs and my stock fogs and i can run with those two on only to save my stock projector HIDs.
Nice setup and all... but you do realize that the stock HID bulbs are designed to last a LOOOOONG time?

I had HID retrofits in my old Accord and the same bulbs lasted me 7 years and the ballasts over 9. (The first set were D2S's which I sold prior to me running D2R's.) Don't know how much longer they would've run because I sold the car.

I doubt the bulbs in your fog light will hold up for 7 years under similar usages.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:01 AM
OCD

Received 126 Likes on 43 Posts
Bump from the grave! Has anyone actually tried to rewire the foglight switch to a relay at the stalk in the steering column before it enters the control module?? This seems to be the only way to accomplish independent control of the fog lights using the factory switch.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:05 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
guess ill be bumping it again.

I have a 2010 tsx and id like to do something similar to this. im hoping the wiring in the 3g tl is similar to the 2g tsx, however, the 3g tl doesnt have drls.

i would like to have my fogs linked with the parking lights instead of the low beams. it wouldnt matter to me if they would still turn off when high beams are turned on. i just want to seperate fogs from low beams. but when the low beams do turn on automatically, the parking lights turn on, thus so do the fogs. but this way i do have the freedom of just turning on the parking and fog lights when i choose too.

has anyone tried this specific setup? if so, how would i go about doing this in my car.

thanks