Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can the Navi do this...

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2004, 06:28 PM
I don't have a Ferrari in

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Can the Navi do this...

I was wondering if the Navi system can be set up so that it routes me from point A to B to C to D and so on. Examples would be if you were coming back from a party and have to drop off friends and would like the navi system calculate the best route for you as to who you should drop off first and last and how to get home. If the TL doesnt have this feature, I sure hope Acura puts it in. If it does, please tell me
Old 06-11-2004, 06:45 PM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes! You can do this. You've to set all those in todays destination and router will take you from a to b to c to d.
Old 06-11-2004, 06:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think he means change the order of destinations based on which he wants to stop at first. Unless something's changed since my TL-S, the answer is no. My Volvo Navi does let you re-order a trip and even add and delete destinations in the middle of a programmed trip. It's a neat feature.
Old 06-11-2004, 06:55 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by BarryH
I think he means change the order of destinations based on which he wants to stop at first. Unless something's changed since my TL-S, the answer is no. My Volvo Navi does let you re-order a trip and even add and delete destinations in the middle of a programmed trip. It's a neat feature.

Yes, you can re-order the points and remove them at will. I do it all the time.
Old 06-11-2004, 07:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by elbodude
Yes, you can re-order the points and remove them at will. I do it all the time.
Then this is a new addition. Can you add a point to an existing trip mid-stream? For example, with three destinations stored, search for a gas station off of a highway you're currently navigating on and add it to the trip without affecting the original information stored? In other words, add a fourth destination in the middle of the trip without affecting the original three. I haven't played with the new Navi that's obviously been upgraded from the version on my TL-S/MDX.
Old 06-11-2004, 07:03 PM
Instructor

Then this is a new addition. Can you add a point to an existing trip mid-stream? For example, with three destinations stored, search for a gas station off of a highway you're currently navigating on and add it to the trip without affecting the original information stored? In other words, add a fourth destination in the middle of the trip without affecting the original three. I haven't played with the new Navi that's obviously been upgraded from the version on my TL-S/MDX.

If you have an available entry left in "todays destinations" it will add it. You might have to change the order of the list though. Or you can just find the new destination, drive to it...then press "todays destinations" to get back on track.
Old 06-11-2004, 08:55 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Related question:

On a 4 hour drive I take every few weeks during the Fall, I like to go a specific way and I can't get the nav to emulate this specific route whenever I drive it. Without setting specific 'destinations' like a McDonald's at each intersection of highway, can I specify a specific route and save it somehow?

TIA

BJ
Old 06-11-2004, 08:55 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
joganjani is corret, and elbodude adds more details. As long as the destinations are saved into Today's destinations, you can always re-order/delete/add them...
Old 06-12-2004, 03:28 AM

Hmm, that answers somewhat my question. But what I also wanted to know was that does the navigation system take you depending on the order you SET them in or the order that gives the most direct driving. Let me try to be more specific with another example.

My House
In-n-Out
Work
Friends house
2nd Friends house
Starbucks
Outback Steakhouse

Lets say you enter those destinations and you want the most direct route that hits all those destinations. If you entered them in that order and it is NOT the most direct (and you know it), does the navi program it so that you can go in the most direct way?
Old 06-12-2004, 01:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by elbodude
If you have an available entry left in "todays destinations" it will add it. You might have to change the order of the list though. Or you can just find the new destination, drive to it...then press "todays destinations" to get back on track.
You answered my question. The TL Navi still looks only at each leg of the trip, not the entire journey. The difference from earlier versions is that it appears you can now change the order of the destinations in "today's destinations" with some type of move up/move down function so that you can set the order vs. the Navi plotting the order itself based on shortest journey (at least that's what I think you're saying). But if you're midway through a navigation sequence, and want to add a new destination, the Navi is interrupted and you have to restart the original sequence from the point where the car is currently located. With the Acura Navi, a single trip with five stops is really five individual legs. And you can either program the Navi or use it for navigation but not both at the same time. Volvo's is different in that you can add 10 destinations and it considers it a single trip with 10 stops and refers to the stops along the way as "waypoints". For example, on a route programmed from Chicago to St. Louis, mid-trip you can ask the Navi for a nearby gas station. It will add it as an additional stop to the Chicago/St. Louis trip not making you have to start over. It functions more like a trip planner. The Acura Navi seems to be able to do one navigation function at a time where Volvo's multi-tasks (kind of like DOS vs. Windows). I guess it's the difference between the Alpine and Mitsubishi software.
Old 06-12-2004, 01:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MasterTL
Hmm, that answers somewhat my question. But what I also wanted to know was that does the navigation system take you depending on the order you SET them in or the order that gives the most direct driving. Let me try to be more specific with another example.

My House
In-n-Out
Work
Friends house
2nd Friends house
Starbucks
Outback Steakhouse

Lets say you enter those destinations and you want the most direct route that hits all those destinations. If you entered them in that order and it is NOT the most direct (and you know it), does the navi program it so that you can go in the most direct way?
If I understand what everyone's said, the old system did what you're asking. The new system allows you to set the order in which destinations are hit. It's a lot better to set them yourself then have the system calculate it. Nine out of ten times I want to hit destinations in a particular order and not being able to override the system drove me nuts.
Old 06-12-2004, 01:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by boltjames
Related question:

On a 4 hour drive I take every few weeks during the Fall, I like to go a specific way and I can't get the nav to emulate this specific route whenever I drive it. Without setting specific 'destinations' like a McDonald's at each intersection of highway, can I specify a specific route and save it somehow?

TIA

BJ
To the best of my knowledge, none of the Navi's out there have the ability to "learn" or allow you to "set" a specific routing in memory.
Old 06-12-2004, 02:17 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by MasterTL

My House
In-n-Out
Work
Friends house
2nd Friends house
Starbucks
Outback Steakhouse

If I understand what everyone's said, the old system did what you're asking. The new system allows you to set the order in which destinations are hit. It's a lot better to set them yourself then have the system calculate it. Nine out of ten times I want to hit destinations in a particular order and not being able to override the system drove me nuts.

Right.

Plus, 04 Navi will follow the order you've selected/entered to display the info, but Navi won't tell you which destination should go first in order to calculate the most direct way.

For example, if you enter the order to Washington State (#1) and Oregon State (#2) from LA, your Navi won't re-route by itselfe to go Oregon first instead of Washington although Oregon is closer. Your Navi just follow step by step whatever you put into and display the routes for you.

But you could change the order anytime manually and make your Navi re-calculate.

:o
Old 06-12-2004, 03:25 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Yea, yea, and in the morning MY Navi is "making me breakfasat"! Sheesh! How lazy ARE you guys? Can't you figure out which destination to go to first on your own? Actually some of the information in here is helpfull. But what some people expect is amazing.
Old 06-12-2004, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by ndabunka
Yea, yea, and in the morning MY Navi is "making me breakfasat"! Sheesh! How lazy ARE you guys? Can't you figure out which destination to go to first on your own? Actually some of the information in here is helpfull. But what some people expect is amazing.
I do not think this is such a big expectation at all. From what I hear about what BarryH said about the Volvo Navigation, that one feature that acts like the trip planner is pretty damn amazing when compared to the "set your own trip" system on the Acura. If what I wanted (the automatic programming of the most direct route) was on the old navi system and was made in a way that was close to impossible to change once you start, then Alpine/Acura should have made it so it keeps the feature but included some of the trip planner feature of the Volvo.

I am not lazy. But if you are going to be going to so many places on one trip, and some of them may be extremely far, you would want to save gas too and find the most direct route.
Old 06-13-2004, 04:09 AM
Advanced

I'm with you MasterTL... That would be a great feature to have (especially if they had it before). Just the other day, I went looking for a new apt in a different neighborhood. I just entered 4 addresses, and went to them in that order. Would have been nice if the Navi had ordered them for me, from furthest to closest, or vice versa, as opposed to the order I entered them, since it really didn't matter which one I went to first; just needed to see all of them...
Old 06-13-2004, 09:55 AM
Team WD Member

Sounds like it's time for the Honda Navi boys to talk with the Microsoft Streets and Maps optimize team and integrate the two. We use S&M (the program) to route our appliance delivery truck every day. Saves us about 25% in mileage and fuel charges.

I wouldn't think that any of us TL drivers would dare use such a program and then program our Navis. Waaaaay too much work!
Old 06-13-2004, 07:59 PM
Racer

Another question (don't know if this got answered in the above threads, but didn't see it in my quick browse). Can the nav learn a new location not on a map? I'm in the process of building a new house on a new tract that is not on the nav yet. Instead of waiting a year or when ever the new nav disk comes out, I wish I could just select a random location on the map - like on a bread crumb. Does anyone know if this is possible? Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 06-13-2004, 08:31 PM
never stops!

Originally Posted by casooner90
Another question (don't know if this got answered in the above threads, but didn't see it in my quick browse). Can the nav learn a new location not on a map? I'm in the process of building a new house on a new tract that is not on the nav yet. Instead of waiting a year or when ever the new nav disk comes out, I wish I could just select a random location on the map - like on a bread crumb. Does anyone know if this is possible? Thanks in advance for any help.
casooner90, drive to the new site and then click on the car circle icon on the screen and save current location as into your address and assign as home. Next time you say "go home" it will plot the bread crumbs.
Old 06-13-2004, 10:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by casooner90
I'm assuming you could also store the destination via the cross-hairs pointer on the map and save it as a personal destination. The Navi would take you as far as it could on roads it has in the database and then you're on your own. I just go a new DVD that has 165K changes since the last update which was 9/03. Navteq must have a tough job keeping up with all of U.S. road modifications and additions. I live in Bumfuk and it's amazingly well mapped.
Old 06-14-2004, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by jefffree
I wouldn't think that any of us TL drivers would dare use such a program and then program our Navis. Waaaaay too much work!
If it becomes intergrated as a result of the Alpine System, there is no real "programming" that we have to do. The only thing I see us doing is entering the many addresses in any order and have the option to

A) Closest to Farthest from Current Location

Or

B) In Order of Entry

Maybe there are more, but I am tired and it is 2 AM. Good nite. BTW, it doesnt seem hard to me, maybe the initial programming between MS and Alpine, but after that the Navi would be kick ass
Old 06-14-2004, 07:36 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
Originally Posted by boltjames
Related question:

TIA

BJ
Ummmmm.... hmmmmm.... if you know the route so well why even bother setting the Nav up for it? This seems to be using the Nav for the sake of using it so you feel like it's of value to you on that trip, even though it's not.

Mike
Old 06-14-2004, 07:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by svtmike
Ummmmm.... hmmmmm.... if you know the route so well why even bother setting the Nav up for it? This seems to be using the Nav for the sake of using it so you feel like it's of value to you on that trip, even though it's not.

Mike
No offense, but for $2K and a negative depreciation hit he should be able to use it any way he wants. Acura did it one way than changed to the other. Asking for a way to do both doesn't seem that outrageous.
Old 06-14-2004, 08:54 PM
Intermediate

circles in nav map?

I see a collection of small round hollow circles, which seem to be tracing the path of a small creek I know of. Or they are a city boundary. Or they are a glitch on the map. Anyone know which?
Old 06-14-2004, 08:58 PM
never stops!

Originally Posted by nologic98
circles in nav map?

I see a collection of small round hollow circles, which seem to be tracing the path of a small creek I know of. Or they are a city boundary. Or they are a glitch on the map. Anyone know which?
Mostly they are "bredcrumbs" plotted by Nav system when you went that route and is not in the nv database.
Old 06-15-2004, 12:48 AM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
No offense, but for $2K and a negative depreciation hit he should be able to use it any way he wants. Acura did it one way than changed to the other. Asking for a way to do both doesn't seem that outrageous.
I never said he couldn't. I'm just trying to understand why he'd want to spend the time to have his Nav tell him something he already knows.

Mike
Old 07-06-2004, 07:54 PM
Moderator Alumnus

MasterTL,

I have to correct some of info listed above. If you have a, b, c, and d and enter them into Today's Destination, your Navi will
  • guid you how to drive one after one
  • Navi will auto re-route the shortest/best ways for you
  • you could edit the detination order by your own preference

For example,

A: SFC
B: Portland
C: Seattle
D: BC, Canada

Each time you press Today's Desti, Navi will auto re-route for you, in this case, from LA, a, b, c, and d. But you could change them to C, D, B, and A if this is what you want. However, if you turn off the Navi, the Navi will auto re-route for you again when you hit Today's Desti...

Sorry for misleading info in the past...
Old 07-07-2004, 12:43 AM

Wow...I will try that later rets. Thanks a lot. I wasnt able to get this done for some reason, but maybe I was doing it wrong. Haha this will make my navi experience much better.