Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I pick up an TL like a BMW?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2004, 10:05 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I pick up an TL like a BMW?

I know that if one buys a BMW, one can order on internet, get free flight to Germany to pick up and then drive it to a destination. From there, they ill ship it over for free. They will even knock off 6% of base price. Does Acura do this? Can I order one and pick at their manufacturing plant and have them ship over for cheaper price?
Old 12-12-2004, 10:08 PM
Pro

They're made in Ohio, so about the only thing you could do is try to get the destination fee waived if you meet it at the factory. I don't think you'll have much luck though.
Old 12-12-2004, 10:12 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
BMW for free shipping?

I heard lots of Euro makers do this service, but am a little surprised it's free!

Even RL or TSX from JDM Honda won't have this service yet.

Welcome to the forum
Old 12-12-2004, 10:16 PM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The trip to Ohio is probably not worth the $500 you are saving on destination charges.

At least on the trip to Germany you get a bigger discount from BMW
Old 12-12-2004, 10:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by catmag
I know that if one buys a BMW, one can order on internet, get free flight to Germany to pick up and then drive it to a destination. From there, they ill ship it over for free. They will even knock off 6% of base price. Does Acura do this? Can I order one and pick at their manufacturing plant and have them ship over for cheaper price?
i think your european delivery understanding might be wrong. the shipment is not free. BMW offers around 40 drop off points where you can drop the car off for free. the shipping is still being charged to you.

just like they mentioned, the TL is built in Ohio. I do not think they have the performance center delivery option like BMW does in Spartanburg, SC.

a bunch of european car makers are offering discounts for european delivery. companies like Saab also offers the buyer/lessee $2000 towards the trip to europe. also, you will still have to order the car from the dealer of your selection since this is where the car will be shipped to from europe.

my wife and i are actually thinking of taking european delivery next year. my friend did it when he ordered his 540i. good luck!!
Old 12-12-2004, 10:26 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Appendix: For BMW European Delivery Cost Saving Program...

http://www.bmwusa.com/bmwexperience/...ry/savings.htm

European Delivery price includes:
* 14 days of free premium road insurance
* Tourist registration
* Factory preparation
* Inland European transportation from the designated drop-off point
* Marine insurance
* Customs duty and clearance
* U.S. port processing and accessory installation
* Wharfage and handling fees

1. Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (does not include destination & handling).
2. European Delivery Suggested Retail Price (does not include destination & handling).
All prices include standard U.S. equipment. Prices do not include federal, state, and local taxes. Prices are subject to change without notice. Confirm current prices with your BMW center. Some models may require longer lead times.

Great topic... Honda should come out something like this...
Old 12-12-2004, 11:03 PM
Gearhead

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
I looked at doing this with an MB I was considering. MB gives you 8% off or more on some models and they give you a free nights stay at a nice hotel. Pretty much the same insurance deal. You can even finance your car and take deliver in Germany if you want. Compared to renting a car there it is a GREAT idea. Last car rental I had in Germany for a decent car cost me about $100/day for the car without insurance and they I spent about another $80/day in fuel.

I did due a Euro delivery with a Volvo. It was a nice deal as well. As for going to pick up a TL in Ohio, I'll pass unless I get free track time at Nelson Ledges or Mid Ohio. Nelson Ledges used to be in my back yard practically. Don't really care to see Ohio again or the tight a$$ state patrol who'll write you for doing 55 in a 57 zone.

As for car deliver in Japan, I'll pass. I've been to Japan and I have no desire to drive on Japanese streets. Traffic in Tokyo is a mess. Street signs are unreadable in most places unless you read Japanese. Not to mention the issue of the drive on the wrong side of the road! Wouldn't be so bad as I've driven in Ireland and England but Japan has very frenetic traffic and always seems busy.

Nice thought on paper if Acura's were built in Europe.
Old 12-13-2004, 02:16 AM
tkx
05.TL.WDP.DYN.NAVI

Originally Posted by wavshrdr
As for car deliver in Japan, I'll pass. I've been to Japan and I have no desire to drive on Japanese streets. Traffic in Tokyo is a mess. Street signs are unreadable in most places unless you read Japanese. Not to mention the issue of the drive on the wrong side of the road! Wouldn't be so bad as I've driven in Ireland and England but Japan has very frenetic traffic and always seems busy.
That's why you buy navi
Old 12-13-2004, 02:27 AM
Intermediate

and pay 185 for the japan dvd
Old 12-13-2004, 02:38 AM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Lots of European automakers offer that as an option when buying. Friends of mine went to Europe to pick up a new volvo, drove it around for two weeks and then shipped it back over here. The money they saved on the car pretty much covered the cost of their time in europe. seems like a pretty good deal to me.
Old 12-13-2004, 10:40 AM
Gearhead

As I say, I did it with a Volvo before. I was seriously considering buying another MB and doing European delivery but ended up buying the TL instead. Euro delivery will normally more than pay for your trip and you can save a fortune on car rental especially now that the dollar is so weak against the Euro. For the record I have navi in every one of my cars, trucks, boats, motorcycles etc. Even have a Garmin GPS on my Xootr for when I travel.
Old 12-13-2004, 11:36 AM
I love cars!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 3PUTT
i think your european delivery understanding might be wrong. the shipment is not free. BMW offers around 40 drop off points where you can drop the car off for free. the shipping is still being charged to you.

just like they mentioned, the TL is built in Ohio. I do not think they have the performance center delivery option like BMW does in Spartanburg, SC.

a bunch of european car makers are offering discounts for european delivery. companies like Saab also offers the buyer/lessee $2000 towards the trip to europe. also, you will still have to order the car from the dealer of your selection since this is where the car will be shipped to from europe.

my wife and i are actually thinking of taking european delivery next year. my friend did it when he ordered his 540i. good luck!!
Volvo does this also, but the experience is not free. Could you imagine the logistics if it were! Thousands of free flights to Germany!
Old 12-13-2004, 11:52 AM
Supreme Underlord/Abyss

Originally Posted by rets

Great topic... Honda should come out something like this...
Yeah, but who wants to go to OHIO??

Old 12-13-2004, 12:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Yeah, there's nothing to see in Columbus (the factory's near there, 2 hrs from me in Cleveland). At least the drive back to your home would be eventful, though!
Old 12-13-2004, 12:12 PM
Supreme Underlord/Abyss

Oops...

Sorry neuronbob!

Old 12-13-2004, 01:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 3PUTT

Wrong. Shipping is free. On top of that you get a 7% discount. BMW pays for your insurance during the time in europe. All you have to pay is plane ticket, food, hotel, and what ever you spend on yourself during the trip. BMW is running a special with LH, in which you pay for one ticket the spouse fly free. In fact, as promotion for this year to next feb, BMW is also paying the 1st ticket.

The only draw back is that you need to pay for your car 30 day in advance. And for lease cars, you will lose about a month since the car is in-transit.
Old 12-13-2004, 03:35 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by leeherman
Yeah, but who wants to go to OHIO??

Originally Posted by neuronbob
Yeah, there's nothing to see in Columbus (the factory's near there, 2 hrs from me in Cleveland). At least the drive back to your home would be eventful, though!
I do hope Acura could provide some similar deals to whoever wants this package. They could include the tour of the factory, special logo for your car, Birth Certificate and even they could have your optional package installed over there directly.

I was trying to get the tour in July while calling at Cleveland, but due to the 05 model development, Honda/Acura stopped giving any tour throughout the whole summer. If you're interested in visiting there, check this... http://www.ohio.honda.com/company/tours.cfm

If the link fails, please go to www.ohio.honda.com -> OUR COMPANY -> Manufacturing -> Plant Tours
Old 12-13-2004, 09:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by leeherman
Oops...

Sorry neuronbob!

Dude, I was telling the truth! There's really not much to see in Columbus unless you're looking for OSU football. Cleveland is a MUCH better tourist destination.....
Old 12-13-2004, 10:11 PM
Gearhead

Dude, I was telling the truth! There's really not much to see in Columbus unless you're looking for OSU football. Cleveland is a MUCH better tourist destination.....
I can second that. Other than going down High Street there isn't much to do. However go to Wright Pat AFB and that can be interesting. Catch some races at Mid Ohio or Nelson Ledges. Some great roads to get air on in NE Ohio around Hiram. You could always go to Sea World or cruise over to Sandusky and go to Cedar Point.

NE Ohio and Southern Ohio has some nice back roads to drive on. Around Columbus it's boring! Cleveland has the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame museum. The
"Flats" area is interesting. Avoid NW Ohio as it is even more boring.
Old 12-14-2004, 06:35 AM
Supreme Underlord/Abyss

Actually, there is ONE thing for me to do in Columbus.

I drove my '69 Dodge Dart from Brooklyn, NY to Columbus in 1999 for the MOPAR Nationals. Had a great time, but it was a hell of a trip to take in August in a non-a/c (then) 30 year old car. There are plenty of photos from the excursion on my website if you're interested.

OAC (Obligiatory Acura Content)...I WOULD go back to Ohio for a tour of the Honda/Acura plant in Marysville. That would be interesting.

Regards,