Sponsored by:

Buying New TL in US bringing back to Canada

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 12:30 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying New TL in US bringing back to Canada

Hi guys,

I am wondering if any of you canadian acura lovers ever thought about buying a new 2007 TLS in the states and driving it back. The price difference seems to be pretty huge these days especially with the strong CDN dollar, and even with out the warranty, the savings seems to be worth it!

Besides, it is a Acura! What could possibly go wrong?
Old 06-07-2007, 12:41 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
You mean besides the Goods And Services Tax GST+ sales tax + imported item tax +did you really think this was a good idea!? tax+

Not even close to a reality based concept
Would YOU buy a new TL with no warranty coverage- better read the Gen3 section of this board first!!!
Old 06-07-2007, 01:05 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What import tax? The TL is assembled in USA. NAFTA Agreement?

Check with your local Custom office.

Even if the parts are imported to the plant for assembly, have you checked any American cars lately (they have so many sources of origin for parts, it's no longuer an American car)

You are right about the huge price difference, I checked the price of a 2007 MDX recently locally and here are the difference with destination charge and prep.

MDX Base $40,665USD, $54,075CDN (30% diff)
MDX Tech $44,165USD, $58,675CDN (32.85% diff)
MDX Elite $48,465USD, $63,675CDN (31.38%)

With the recent appreciation of the Canadian currency, the price should be adjusted to reflect current currency exchange.

I called Acura Canada and asked why there was such a huge difference?

Their answer was that their prices reflect local market conditions (meaning that if what they compared to can ask as much, so should they).
Old 06-07-2007, 01:05 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by evoman
Hi guys,

I am wondering if any of you canadian acura lovers ever thought about buying a new 2007 TLS in the states and driving it back. The price difference seems to be pretty huge these days especially with the strong CDN dollar, and even with out the warranty, the savings seems to be worth it!

Besides, it is a Acura! What could possibly go wrong?
No, don't do that...wrong move!
Old 06-07-2007, 01:42 AM
Instructor

hey frenchnew!

Fellow quebecor! Good to know that others are also noticing that the price discrepancy between canada and US for cars is so large! I am actually willing to forgo the warranty to save like 15-18K on my TLS, for that savings i can buy a third party warranty and still have money in the bank!!!

It is time that the automakers selling in Canada stop gouging us!!
Old 06-07-2007, 12:42 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
Imports NAFTA what a joke! that just lets unlicensed mexican trucks/drivers smuggle illegals into America- dont believe me?- yesterday, 200 people under a false floor in semi- full of bananas- floor collapsed- guess what the result was.

Customs job is to bend you over if you appear to be skirting taxes - think Duty Free shopping and over limits- they CAN charge you tax if they want

Ever try getting brake rotors made in usa shipped to cananda- several bs taxes and fees raise price dramatically
Old 06-07-2007, 02:10 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
evoman, take a look at this thread from the ramblings section...it might help some.

https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/any-canucks-planning-buying-big-ticket-stuff-usa-366988/
Old 06-07-2007, 09:18 PM
07 NBP TL-S

I was actually looking into this when shopping for my car. It's not as expensive as some people might think to import a vehicle to Canada from USA. You're looking at paying one of the Canadian sales taxes (either GST or PST - can't remember which one) and an import tax which is in the area of about 6-7%. So in total, you're paying approximately the same amount in taxes as if you bought locally.

The laws are different in each provinces, however. Make sure you check what it is where you live.

In BC, what we need to do is to make sure that you get the import papers ready before you drive the car up. It has to pass inspection - i.e. DRLs, safety restraints, etc have to meet Canadian law. Usually, it's not a problem. Once it gets into the country, you'll have to get it inspected within a given amount of days - I believe Canadian Tire does this for a few hundred bucks.

The only reason I didn't import is because:

- Warranty
- Resale value
- Imperical units on everything from speedo to climate control - can't get used to it.

But on the plus side, you will have a better version of the Nav - the US version has speech recognition so you can say street names instead of typing/saying each letter (at least I think so) and you'll have access to XM Traffic. Although with XM Traffic probably won't work in Canada, it'll work when you go to the states. I think the Canadian TLs have all of these functionalities built in, but they're locked. I remember playing around with my Nav and the XM Traffic button showed briefly.

I think they took out the functions so they don't have to redo the french version of the Nav... and they don't have a contract to provide XM traffic in canada?
Old 06-08-2007, 12:48 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
Imports NAFTA what a joke! that just lets unlicensed mexican trucks/drivers smuggle illegals into America- dont believe me?- yesterday, 200 people under a false floor in semi- full of bananas- floor collapsed- guess what the result was.

Customs job is to bend you over if you appear to be skirting taxes - think Duty Free shopping and over limits- they CAN charge you tax if they want

Ever try getting brake rotors made in usa shipped to cananda- several bs taxes and fees raise price dramatically
1) Banana Split?

2) Totally agree and the same goes gor any level of government.

3) As for brakes, I will soon find out as my order is supposed to ship tomorrow (Racing Brakes Rotors and Hawk Ceramic Brake Pads)