Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bumper paint peel on '08 TLS

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 05:07 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bumper paint peel on '08 TLS

Hey gang - bought a KBP 08 TLS a month or so ago and have the paint on the rear bumper peeling. Called the local Acura service department (don't have a relationship there yet) and asked them if I could bring it in for them to take a look and see if the warranty would cover it.

Have read other posts in the forum with similar things happening and know that some dealers will take care of it and others will try to say it isn't covered for various reasons.

This service guy who was really great on the phone already hedged his bet a bit by saying "we'll have to take a really close look to make sure it hasn't been repainted before"...

So I'd like to know what I'm talking about before I go in tomorrow. What should I see under the factory paint that is peeling off? What would I see if it had been repainted?
Old 06-17-2011, 05:54 PM
Safety Car

Received 946 Likes on 650 Posts
Well I wouldn't hold your breathe that the dealership will help you out as I have never seen original paint peel like you described. Sounds like your bumper has been re-sprayed before. Just curious, does your bumper have the original vin label on it? Pop your trunk should be on the right side near the tail light. Even if it's still there doesn't mean it hasn't been painted before, but it's a start. Does the clear coat texture match the rear quarter panels perfectly? The "orange peel" clear coat texture should be basically identical between the two panels if it's original. Does the paint match in all lighting conditions? If not that's a good sign that it's not original paint.

Hope this helps.
James

Last edited by JTS97Z28; 06-17-2011 at 05:59 PM.
Old 06-17-2011, 05:55 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
If it was repainted, you'll see the same paint underneath... HOPEFULLY with a prepped base (sanding to score the surface for better adhesion). Without proper prep work and repainting, the paint nearly always starts to flake off prematurely.
Old 06-17-2011, 05:57 PM

Received 5,937 Likes on 2,928 Posts
Originally Posted by JTS97Z28
Well I wouldn't hold your breathe that the dealership will help you out as I have never seen original paint peel like you described. Sounds like your bumper has been re-sprayed before. Just curious, does your bumper have the original vin label on it? Pop your trunk should be on the right side. Even if it's still there doesn't mean it hasn't been painted before, but it's a start.
X2. Would not be outside the realm of possibility that there was a previous rear-end accident that resulted in a replaced bumper cover.
Old 06-17-2011, 06:00 PM
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts
The car is only 3 years old. I'm thinking that it has been repainted at some point. I have owned a lot of Hondas and have NEVER had a problem with paint issues. It seems to me that it was repainted at a shop that cut a few corners with the prep work. Maybe someone else on here has had a problem similar to this and can be of more help. Either way I hope the dealer will work with you on this. Good luck!
Old 06-18-2011, 01:14 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
Originally Posted by Smunderdog
Hey gang - bought a KBP 08 TLS a month or so ago and have the paint on the rear bumper peeling. Called the local Acura service department (don't have a relationship there yet) and asked them if I could bring it in for them to take a look and see if the warranty would cover it.

Have read other posts in the forum with similar things happening and know that some dealers will take care of it and others will try to say it isn't covered for various reasons.

This service guy who was really great on the phone already hedged his bet a bit by saying "we'll have to take a really close look to make sure it hasn't been repainted before"...

So I'd like to know what I'm talking about before I go in tomorrow. What should I see under the factory paint that is peeling off? What would I see if it had been repainted?
The paint will peel if you hit it hard enough with a pressure washer or if the the bumper has been hit against something. Dealers just have to cover themselves and say stuff like that to make sure it's not someone trying to screw them over.

If it's the factory paint, you should see black plastic underneath the paint where it peeled off. As well there are a number of ways to see if it's factory or not.

1) Open the trunk up and look at the bottom right corner. There should be a sticker there with the VIN number on it. Make sure that it's NOT painted over with clear-coat or to make sure it's not missing. If it's missing that means that it is not the factory bumper. If it's painted over, well then you know it's not factory paint.

2) take a look at the edges of the bumper and see if you see a sort of line or lip in the paint (like look at a plastic ball and you'll see a thin line running around the center from where the two half's met when they made the ball). If it's there, those are tape marks from where the bodyshop applied tape to mask off the rest of the car.

3) look under the car and check the bolts/clips that hold the bumper on from under the car. If they have random marks or there are scratches on the bumper around them, that means that tools were used to remove/put them back on. At the factory they have special tools that don't mar the paint or bolts.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:03 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bummer. Definitely overspray on the VIN sticker. Am sure they will see that and say no way...to me, it does look like black plastic underneath where the paint is peeling though...oh well. I'll update the thread after I let them look at it this morning.

Thanks guys...you are the best!
Old 06-18-2011, 08:39 AM
Safety Car

Received 946 Likes on 650 Posts
Originally Posted by Smunderdog
Bummer. Definitely overspray on the VIN sticker. Am sure they will see that and say no way...to me, it does look like black plastic underneath where the paint is peeling though...oh well. I'll update the thread after I let them look at it this morning.

Thanks guys...you are the best!
No problem glad we can help. Well the good news for you is if the VIN sticker is still there its still the original bumper meaning that whatever happened to the car was minor and it was nothing more than a bumper re-spray. You should be able to get the bumper fixed at a reputable shop for a decent price and should look good as new.

James
Old 06-18-2011, 08:42 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
We get a lot of people up here buying cars off e-bay / craigs list etc and 95% of them have a rear bumper repaint because the cars are a lease or rental or bought at autions and the rear bumper is repainted because its been abused.

Dealers will send then to quickie shops for a cosmetic make over and they don't give a crap how long it lasts as long as it looks ok to get it out the door.
Old 06-19-2011, 01:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts
most dealer would do you a favor