Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bumper damage, more than a scratch now :(

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 06:21 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bumper damage, more than a scratch now :(

I parked in a parking lot today, and I aprked away from other cars because I was paranoid about ppl slamming their doors on my car. When I walked to my car, I noticed that a car was parked next to be, and sure enough, my front passenger door handle had a chip in it.

I waited for the person to complain, so I waited, but the person was an old lady, so I was just going to let it go. I'm sitting in my parked car, and sure enough, the lady dings my door again. I didn't even get upset at this point, but got out of the car, and politely said to her "Mam, you should really try to be considerate of other people's vehicles when you open your door". She appologized, and got in her car. She begins to back uut of her spot, and I noticed that a honda accord was backup up straight towards my car. I honk, and the honda stops, then gets out w/o touching my car. Whew. Literally seconds after, the same lady that ding my door hits my bumper, and doesn't even stop right away. She scrapes more than half of my bumper down to the black plastic. WTF!

Now I lost it, and I get out dropping F bombs, but not at her, and eventually calmd down. I call the police, and they take over an hour to arrive. I ask for a police report, and the report doesn't state that I was parked, and the woman drove into my bumper. I asked the officer why the report doesn't indicate that I was parked? He replied that since he didn't see the accident, and nobody was hurt, they can't do an investigation. He said some crap about NYS no fault crap. I checked with him again, and he said that the insurance company will be able to figure out who was at fault.

I don't really want to go through because my deductable is way high.

1) Am I screwed now because the report doesn't say who was at fault?

2) I would like to get the whole bumper cover replaced because my car is less than a month old. About how much would this cost?

3) If I get the bumper painted, I know the color is not gonna match, thus thinking replacement. How well do the bumper cover replacement match the paint vs. painting the damaged area?

4) My lesson learned here is, if you see old women in a car, move as far as you can away from them.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm in pain because my baby is less than a month old....
Old 04-30-2007, 06:39 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nextech
I parked in a parking lot today, and I aprked away from other cars because I was paranoid about ppl slamming their doors on my car. When I walked to my car, I noticed that a car was parked next to be, and sure enough, my front passenger door handle had a chip in it.

I waited for the person to complain, so I waited, but the person was an old lady, so I was just going to let it go. I'm sitting in my parked car, and sure enough, the lady dings my door again. I didn't even get upset at this point, but got out of the car, and politely said to her "Mam, you should really try to be considerate of other people's vehicles when you open your door". She appologized, and got in her car. She begins to back uut of her spot, and I noticed that a honda accord was backup up straight towards my car. I honk, and the honda stops, then gets out w/o touching my car. Whew. Literally seconds after, the same lady that ding my door hits my bumper, and doesn't even stop right away. She scrapes more than half of my bumper down to the black plastic. WTF!

Now I lost it, and I get out dropping F bombs, but not at her, and eventually calmd down. I call the police, and they take over an hour to arrive. I ask for a police report, and the report doesn't state that I was parked, and the woman drove into my bumper. I asked the officer why the report doesn't indicate that I was parked? He replied that since he didn't see the accident, and nobody was hurt, they can't do an investigation. He said some crap about NYS no fault crap. I checked with him again, and he said that the insurance company will be able to figure out who was at fault.

I don't really want to go through because my deductable is way high.

1) Am I screwed now because the report doesn't say who was at fault?

2) I would like to get the whole bumper cover replaced because my car is less than a month old. About how much would this cost?

3) If I get the bumper painted, I know the color is not gonna match, thus thinking replacement. How well do the bumper cover replacement match the paint vs. painting the damaged area?

4) My lesson learned here is, if you see old women in a car, move as far as you can away from them.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm in pain because my baby is less than a month old....
I wouldn't say you're screwed, but there should be some sort of indication that your vehicle was parked or at a standstill in the description of how the accident happened. There are also codes on the side of the police report that the officers should have filled out to help in determining who is at fault for your accident. You can always go to the police and request an adendum to the report. no fault has nothing to do with the accident, esp. in this case b/c it is just property damage. no-fault only applies to medical expenses.

I did the same thing to my rear bumper, except i was parallel parking in NYC and didn't see a concrete block that was near the curb for a potted tree and scrapped off a good portion of my bumper. I think the replacement is about 250 or slightly more. check acuraoem parts. depending on the color, i think they match pretty well. I have a NBP. I wouldn't paint it just b/c of the risk of the paint not matching.i ended up just leaving it as is, b/c it really isn't too bad unless you're looking right at it...and well i'd rather spend the money elsewhere.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
that suck
Old 04-30-2007, 06:55 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ebs312
I wouldn't say you're screwed, but there should be some sort of indication that your vehicle was parked or at a standstill in the description of how the accident happened. There are also codes on the side of the police report that the officers should have filled out to help in determining who is at fault for your accident. You can always go to the police and request an adendum to the report. no fault has nothing to do with the accident, esp. in this case b/c it is just property damage. no-fault only applies to medical expenses.

I did the same thing to my rear bumper, except i was parallel parking in NYC and didn't see a concrete block that was near the curb for a potted tree and scrapped off a good portion of my bumper. I think the replacement is about 250 or slightly more. check acuraoem parts. depending on the color, i think they match pretty well. I have a NBP. I wouldn't paint it just b/c of the risk of the paint not matching.i ended up just leaving it as is, b/c it really isn't too bad unless you're looking right at it...and well i'd rather spend the money elsewhere.

Thank you for the quick reply ebs312.

Yeah, this happened today in Yonkers literally 1-2 miles away from the dealership where I purchased my car.

Also, thanks for clearing the na fault stuff for me. I may have to call the police department. I think I remember the woman admitting her guilt when the police came, but he still didn't write the details down, or at least it appears that way to me... Maybe because the woman's son is the mayor of Yonkers, and the cop knew this?

Well, if it's only gonna cost my $250- $500, I would get it repaired myself, so that I don't have to worry about my prem. going up. Plus, I worked hard at clearing my driving record, and I only have 1 speeding violation that should dissappear from my record in a couple of months.

Do you happen to have a link for acuraoem parts? Or should I just inquire at the dealership? I called the dealership today, and the said the bumpers don't come pre painted. I'm wondering whey they can't be prepainted, when the oem splash guards are matched?

Oh, and my TL is KBP.

I'm gonna post some pics that I took w/ my phone today...

Thanks again for your help.

Nevermind about the link. I found it for $223.23 at acura oem parts.

Thanks again for your input though.
Old 04-30-2007, 07:16 PM
Advanced

Here's a low res pic of the damage. I've seen worst damage before on my other cars, but not when my car was less than a month old

I'm gonna sulk in my sorrows now.......lol.

Old 04-30-2007, 07:25 PM
Dont Touch My Car !!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I hate old lady driver, they should take thier license away. I had a similar experience, but my was minor. The stupid lady made an indent in my rear bumper, while we were in a turning lane and she accuse my dad of back up.

I feel your pain...that looks awful..down to the black bumper. If you clean it up it might not be as noticable...in the white areas. You can try to layer the paint or use bondo to fill in the gash and paint over it.
Old 04-30-2007, 07:35 PM
Instructor

doh! that is WAY worse than mine...sorry to see that. yeah, i guess you can't leave it as is like i did with mine. i'm sure those officers knew that her son was the mayor of yonkers.

if the bumpers don't come pre-painted, then i guess you'll have to find someone to match the colors. good luck with this. hopefully everything works out for you.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:44 PM
FTW

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts
this pisses me off....how could they not see ?

sigh..
Old 04-30-2007, 08:47 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
Wow. I think you should have got a brighter more visible color.

/edit. doesnt the deductible only count if its your fault? i.e. if the other person is at fault, their insurance covers all.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:07 PM
Instructor

that's right...your deductible should only come into play if you're at fault. if the accident is not your fault, the other insurance should cover it all.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:11 PM
Glacier Frost Mica CL-S

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
IMO you should get the bumper painted and not involve insurance.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:13 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Here's a low res pic of the damage. I've seen worst damage before on my other cars, but not when my car was less than a month old

I'm gonna sulk in my sorrows now.......lol.

Not a problem man. A good bodyshop will have that looking as good as new!

Here are before accident, after accident and after repair pics of the same side of the bumper...

Before accident

After accident

After repair

I bought my car in November, but you can't see any discernable difference betwen the hood, bumper (part in accident), and my a-spec lip!! So don't worry about it! I was thinking the same thing, that my car is new so it needs to be replaced! The bodyshop told me that no insurance company would do that. This just happened to me last week and you see my car pic from yesterday is the last pic and it's like new!! I'm very satisfied.

The shop quoted me about $420+ initially, but the insurance company knocked it down to $380+ becuz of the level of biz they do there. Anyway, the other person had to pay so it didn't bother me. They took my car on Monday of last week and I got it back Wednesday after I got off work!

Good luck and I wouldn't report it if I was you. Just fix it yourself, but you should have chased that lady down and told her what she did so she could pay for it thru her insurance. You one hell of a gentleman or nut, depending on the perspective you take on it. LOL!

Here is my thread on my accident like yours:

https://acurazine.com/forums/religion-politics-18/more-bad-press-gw-157521/

Again, good luck!
Old 05-01-2007, 12:52 PM
Advanced

Thanks guys for the feedback, and thanks darksom1 for the before and after pics of your repair.

I spoke to a local shop, and he quoted me $520 for the work. He said there's no need to replace the bumper because he can blend the paint only on the bumper.

I called the lady today to see if she wants to cover the damage w/o insurance, but she said $520 was too much, and she's gonna get the insurance to pay for it. Oh well.

I also thought about just ordering the A-Spec kit for $799 since they come pre-painted, but not sure...

I just hope she doesn't try to pull a fast one when she reports it to her insurance, and the paint job comes out nice.

On a side note, I've been reading way too many threads on Acurazine about damages like this, and maybe I jinxed myself?

The youtube video of the lady in the parking lot on darksom1's thread reminds me of the lady that hit me. lol. Some ppl should not be allowed to drive. Period.

I'll post some before and after pics when this is all done.

Thanks again to all.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:01 PM
06 TL 6spd. Navi/A-spec

WoW talk about bad luck, i am usually very careful with my car and park out in BFE and when at work my car is under a car cover and 2 weeks ago i noticed two small dents in my passenger front door along with a chip, i was furious, so i found a paintless dent repair guy and he pulled them out for $40 and i touched up the chip, it looks almost as new. As for you its alot worse, sorry to hear about your car!
Old 05-01-2007, 07:38 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had my rear bumper repainted after I scraped it with the trash can, down to the black plastic. The shop sanded it smooth and painted it, and the color match is actually better than the original paint, which was slightly blacker than the dark blue of the rest of the car. Here in South Texas it cost about $250.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:13 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Thanks guys for the feedback, and thanks darksom1 for the before and after pics of your repair.

I spoke to a local shop, and he quoted me $520 for the work. He said there's no need to replace the bumper because he can blend the paint only on the bumper.

I'll post some before and after pics when this is all done.

Thanks again to all.
You bet! Good luck! I actually like my car better now because my bumper looks brand new!
Old 05-01-2007, 09:42 PM
Pro

Sorry to hear about your incident. I was lucky when some lady scraped my car two years ago in a parking lot because she waited for me to apologize (I was not there when the accident happened as I was in Barnes & Nobles looking at car mags). Seeing that she was honest, I went to several body shops and gave her the lowest repair bill ($350). She paid, without either party going thru insurance.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:55 PM
Cruisin'

I'm always wary of people that are bad at parking, so I always unconsciously try to park near expensive looking cars because I figure that their as careful about protecting the paint on their cars as I am about mine. Open spot between two Lexus cars? Good. Open spot near between an old Dodge with peeling paint and an AMC Gremlin? Hmmm. I think that I'll look elsewhere. Of course, it's all a game of probabilities - you can never be certain that you're not parked next to a horrible driver.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:00 AM
got boost?

your luck is as bad as mine...first i had my car hit in a parking lot aswell..but it left an indent on the corner of my rear bumper...
so..i took it to a friends bodyshop..and popped out the dent..ok..now it's not soo bad...and looks pretty good..still needs replacing..but..can wait now...

only 2 days later...to get rear-ended by some F-face driving an 88 bronco!!
luckily..he only hit me at about 20km/h...
but now..the bumper is pushed in,,rear taillight is cracked, trunk is buckled...

so now im waiting for the nimrod to give me $$ to fix my car..cuz his POS bronco is only worth about $500 and the damage on mycar is almost $3000!!

frick!! dumb F'in people i tell ya....and my car is now just a yr old...still has less than 30K on her
Old 05-02-2007, 01:10 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by hamsup
your luck is as bad as mine...first i had my car hit in a parking lot aswell..but it left an indent on the corner of my rear bumper...
so..i took it to a friends bodyshop..and popped out the dent..ok..now it's not soo bad...and looks pretty good..still needs replacing..but..can wait now...

only 2 days later...to get rear-ended by some F-face driving an 88 bronco!!
luckily..he only hit me at about 20km/h...
but now..the bumper is pushed in,,rear taillight is cracked, trunk is buckled...

so now im waiting for the nimrod to give me $$ to fix my car..cuz his POS bronco is only worth about $500 and the damage on mycar is almost $3000!!

frick!! dumb F'in people i tell ya....and my car is now just a yr old...still has less than 30K on her
Mental note to myself:

Dooo noottt driivvee inn Canadaaaa, and if you dooo, avoiiiddd Broncos! Hell, avoid them in America as well!

Signed,

Sugar "I don't want my shit hit no mo" Ray
Old 05-02-2007, 01:29 AM
Glacier Frost Mica CL-S

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by darksom1
Mental note to myself:

Dooo noottt driivvee inn Canadaaaa, and if you dooo, avoiiiddd Broncos! Hell, avoid them in America as well!

Signed,

Sugar "I don't want my shit hit no mo" Ray