Break-in period

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2003 | 10:47 AM
Instructor

Break-in period

Looks like I won't be able to get my car locally, but from a dealer 2 hours away. Should I just stay there for the weekend and drive it around town for a hundred miles or so before getting on the highway or is that amount of mileage just too little to make a difference?

Thanks.
Old 10-29-2003 | 10:50 AM
Racer

I don't think it'll hurt. Just keep your revs down while on the freeway. Others may have a different opinion which I would be interested in hearing.
Old 10-29-2003 | 11:01 AM
Instructor

I would agree with Hacksaw, keep the revs down and just take it easy. You may want to give the car a breather once in a while and pull over and let her idle for a couple of minutes, just so you aren't at the same revs constantly. Besides it gives you a chance to stretch your legs for a minute...

Good luck.
Old 10-29-2003 | 11:02 AM
Pro

I actually had that same question and I asked my friend (he knows a lot more about cars than I do) and this is what he said....on the highway, the car is actually performing better becuase you don't have to use the brakes, the steering wheel is straight so you aren't using the tires in turning and so forth...in the city, you have to slow down, speed up, turn, reverse and do all these other things that you may not do on a highway...he said it is less strain on the car if it is driven on the highway, that's why when people sell their cars, they put MAINLY HIGHWAY DRIVEN because it runs more efficiently on the highway...i believe him becuase it does make more sense...but i am also curious on what others have to say about this...
Old 10-29-2003 | 11:12 AM
Pro

Only additional thing that I've read is that one should vary the rpm's. Therefore don't stay at the same rpm for long periods of time, vary your speed and thus the rpm.
Old 10-29-2003 | 11:47 AM
Advanced

Does anyone know what ACURA says about this?
Old 10-29-2003 | 12:14 PM
Instructor

I keep hearing that 600 or so miles is the avg time to break in the TL engine. I've heard from some people more and less than this. So what do u guys think is the proper amount of time it takes to break in the TL.

I'm buy one in a month (God willing) so when i get one i wanna make sure i take care of the engine.
Old 10-29-2003 | 12:29 PM
Instructor

Thanks for the replies, I'll probably drive @ 45mph the entire way
Old 10-29-2003 | 12:58 PM
an Acura has-been

Originally posted by jmichaelp
Thanks for the replies, I'll probably drive @ 45mph the entire way
NOOOOOO Don't keep it at one steady speed!!!!

All mfg's say this including the TL owners manual!

Make sure you varry your speed and RPMS (an ocasional kick to SS and 4th gear does the trick!!!)

I hope you are joking about a steady 45mph!
Old 10-29-2003 | 01:03 PM
Pro

Where in the manual does it say that? Is it good to "push the accelerator" once in a while in a new car? so you are saying that just normal driving and getting to all gears is good for the car? basically just help me with this...what do i do when i take the car off the lot? do i drive slow / fast...do i rev it all the way or just be careful...cause i don't want to mess the engine up or stress it or anything like that so just let me know, okay? post a reply...thanks...
Old 10-29-2003 | 01:24 PM
an Acura has-been

Originally posted by Jinen
Where in the manual does it say that? Is it good to "push the accelerator" once in a while in a new car? so you are saying that just normal driving and getting to all gears is good for the car? basically just help me with this...what do i do when i take the car off the lot? do i drive slow / fast...do i rev it all the way or just be careful...cause i don't want to mess the engine up or stress it or anything like that so just let me know, okay? post a reply...thanks...
OK, just a few things to remember for first 600 miles:

1. Do not brake hard if at all possible for first 600 miles (same goes after replacing brakes in the future) - this alows the pads to seat agains the rotors properly.

2. Don't mash the accelorator to the floor (the engine can not take this stress and may spin a bearing, or the like.

3. Keep revs low, and try not to exceed 5,000 RPMs (some give a varrying level, starting at 3k for first 200 miles, then 4k at 400 miles, 5k at 600 and so on).

4. Do not use cruise control!

5. vary engine speed (RPM's) as with the Auto, it seems to always be at around 2k rpms at cruse, so use the SS mode when driving to keep the rpms fluctuating (not every mile, but around every 10 minutes or so when driving at a constant speed such as on a highway).

6. don't bang the gears using SS mode

7. Per the manual, it specifiacally states NOT to change the oil the FIRST time until the MID says so (IE no early changes, most likely they are using a "break in" oil) - this is beyond 600miles!

8. For MT's, dont pop the clutch and try not to lug the engine (too high a gear for speed so the engine vibrates).

Anyone else feel free to chime in on this.
Old 10-29-2003 | 01:30 PM
Pro

thanks a lot...that helps becuase normally i just put the car on cruise control (even driving 25 - 40 mph) lol...but now i have a better idea of what i should do when i go and pick up the car...kewl...
Old 10-29-2003 | 07:39 PM
Instructor

I agree with need4spd - honda and acura have always recommended varying speeds/rpms during break-in.
Old 10-30-2003 | 12:35 PM
Intermediate

jmichaelp,
What was you looking for that they don't have or can't get? Or was it a price/customer service issue? Just curious, since I live in Hickory/Newton, I'll have to go either to Charlotte or east to Winston or Greensboro. A couple of people on this board or another one told me to go to Cary. They both said they got good deals below MSRP there.
Old 10-30-2003 | 12:35 PM
Intermediate

they use a break in oil that stays in for the first 7500 miles to make sure the motor seals properly. like need said vary the engine speed, dont use the cruise control for the first 1000 miles becasue the computer is adjusting itself to your driving style. be easy on the brakes for the first two hundred miles. you can take it to red line just dont accelerate hard from a dead stopfor the first hundred miles so the hydrolic fluid in the motor mounts can settle. you might here a olsight shimmer when you put the car in reverse about every 50 starts its just doing a ABS check. i can keep going on i sold acura for three years so i know my fair share about them.