Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 05:07 PM
Amateur Gynecologist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Brake Trouble

My wife and I were pulling out of the driveway and beginning to head down the road for the daily commute when I heard this noise like we had ran over something just about the time when the ABS does it’s normal check thing. We both commented on the noise but kept driving until we noticed a thumping coming from the right (passenger side) front wheel. After my wife pulled to a stop, I got out of the car and got her to roll forward a bit (I was walking alongside the car). It wasn’t a thumping sound from the outside but a “phist……phist……..phist..…etc.” It sounded like a puff of air was being expelled or something each time the tire made its rotation. I don’t think it is the tires and the more I recall the chain of events I am coming to the conclusion that it has something to do with the braking system.

Has anyone out there experienced this? I have an appointment to take it in to get checked tomorrow but am really not looking forward to driving it the 50 miles to the closest dealership.
Old 04-12-2004, 05:14 PM
Instructor

I too had that problem a couple of weeks ago, but cant seem to replicate it. Sounds like it may be related to ABS. When you mentioned your ABS "doing its check thing", is that the clunk you hear after starting out in the morning when the engine is cold. I keep hearing it (and feeling the vibration in the pedals), but could never figure out what it was. Is it the ABS cycling??
Old 04-12-2004, 05:28 PM
Amateur Gynecologist

I don't know if it's "cycling" but it creates sort of a soft (in my case) thump when the car is cold and you are first excellerating to 10 mph or so. I've read from the people on this board that it's doing a "self test". I don't mind that so much, lots of people experience that are on this so I knew that it was normal. What I am now experiencing though is definitely not normal. Like I was saying above, about the time it normally does the self test it felt like I ran over a small dog. Not to mention the interior thump.....thump....thump.

I just hope I don't exacerbate the problem tomorrow by driving it. I would tow it but Acura wouldn't bring it to the dealership were I purchased it. I've only had my car for about 3 weeks and I want to deal with the people I bought it from if they have a problem with giving me a loaner, if the problem is more severe than expected, or whatever.

Don't get me wrong though, up until this point the car has been great. If I have taken anything from this board it's patience if you have an issue with your car.