Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Pulsations?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 07:03 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Brake Pulsations?!?!?!

Does anybody else feel pulsations when your braking? I live here in Oklahoma, and some of the roads are kinda bad, but everytime I try to brake on a gravel road there are like pulsations while braking? Its hard to explain, but I think its the ABS, but Im not sure. It seems really excessive, it sometimes even happens on regular roads. All the other cars in my family have ABS, but they dont pulsate like crazu as my TL Does, any ideas? Suggestions?
Old 03-02-2004, 07:08 AM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Brake Pulsations?!?!?!

Originally posted by EggrollXpress61
Does anybody else feel pulsations when your braking? I live here in Oklahoma, and some of the roads are kinda bad, but everytime I try to brake on a gravel road there are like pulsations while braking? Its hard to explain, but I think its the ABS, but Im not sure. It seems really excessive, it sometimes even happens on regular roads. All the other cars in my family have ABS, but they dont pulsate like crazu as my TL Does, any ideas? Suggestions?
Awhile back, someone mentioned pulsating brakes along with some severe noise coming from the front brakes....ended up being that the front pads were broken and cracked all to hell with pieces missing from the front pads. Took it back to the dealer for new pads and all was well again.

Perhaps take a good close look at those pads the next time you're out and about with some adequate light.
Old 03-02-2004, 07:24 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the same issue, but only when I am turning on extremely uneven.
Old 03-02-2004, 09:20 AM
Burning Brakes

thats the way the abs works. period
Old 03-02-2004, 09:32 AM
Pro

For God's sake! It's just ABS! There is not enough traction when braking on gravel roads and the wheels lock up almost immediatelly, so the ABS will kick in almost every time.
Old 03-02-2004, 09:32 AM
Banned

Yep its ABS. One thing they dont tell you about abs is that it actually takes lnoger to stop in loose conditions than non ABS. A non ABS car will stop shorter in gravel and snow than an ABS car. On gravel a non abs car will lock the wheel which will dig into the dirt and thus stop faster. On Snow that may or may not happen depending on what type of snow ice combo you have. I occasionally drive on gravel and the ABS effect can be quite distressing sometimes if you're not aware of it!
Old 03-02-2004, 09:44 AM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by dulnev
For God's sake! It's just ABS! There is not enough traction when braking on gravel roads and the wheels lock up almost immediatelly, so the ABS will kick in almost every time.
For God's sake, huh?

Well, he did say it happens on normal roads as well, not just gravel roads which led me to believe it could be something else besides his ABS kicking in. Sure he could have loss of traction on normal road conditions too but that would happen rarely, IMO.

I just remembered someone complaining about a similar feel and discovered through their service tech that the front pads were broken in pieces.
Old 03-02-2004, 10:11 AM
Banned

If it happens on dry roads under normal conditions something is wrong.
Old 03-02-2004, 01:03 PM
Pro

Originally posted by vtechbrain
If it happens on dry roads under normal conditions something is wrong.
No, it's not, it can happen very easily on dry road under normal conditions. All you need is a seriously uneven surface, that's all! There's one turn on my way to work and there are couple ridges in the road surface right before it. Almost every day when I brake for the turn the ABS would briefly engage, when my car hopes over these ridges.
Old 03-02-2004, 02:19 PM
Banned

No, it's not, it can happen very easily on dry road under normal conditions. All you need is a seriously uneven surface, that's all! There's one turn on my way to work and there are couple ridges in the road surface right before it. Almost every day when I brake for the turn the ABS would briefly engage, when my car hopes over these ridges.
A seriously uneven surface is not a normal condition. Were talking regular flat road. on a very uneven road if the wheels get some air or loose traction the ABS will intrude.
Old 03-02-2004, 02:38 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Talking

This is one of secrets Acura doesn't tell us in the first day.
Old 03-02-2004, 02:47 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I hate it when my car "hopes" over ridges..

Must you really argue over what "someone" is experiencing if you don't have hands on knowledge?? He could have warped rotors, bad/broken pads, ABS working normal or malfunctioning, and/or all of the above.

The best thing for this individual is to take it to a dealer to have it checked out. Telling someone it's normal without all the facts, especially someone who may take your word 100% (nothing personal Eggroll), is not prudent edicut on a forum.

What you guys are mentioning is good info and “possible/likely", but lets leave it at that.
Old 03-02-2004, 03:03 PM
Banned

Originally posted by KJSmitty
I hate it when my car "hopes" over ridges..

Must you really argue over what "someone" is experiencing if you don't have hands on knowledge?? He could have warped rotors, bad/broken pads, ABS working normal or malfunctioning, and/or all of the above.

The best thing for this individual is to take it to a dealer to have it checked out. Telling someone it's normal without all the facts, especially someone who may take your word 100% (nothing personal Eggroll), is not prudent edicut on a forum.

What you guys are mentioning is good info and “possible/likely", but lets leave it at that.
We already stated that!
Old 03-02-2004, 03:33 PM
Advanced

Is ABS even a good saftey feature? I have heard that it is best not to purchase it if you have the option.
Old 03-02-2004, 04:50 PM
Pro

Originally posted by mitchdeerfield
Is ABS even a good saftey feature? I have heard that it is best not to purchase it if you have the option.
You must've heard wrong. It's a great safety feature! How often do you go on gravel roads? More importantly, how often do you need to brake hard on gravel roads? ABS is indispensable when braking hard on dry and wet pavement.
Old 03-02-2004, 06:10 PM
3rd Gear

Originally posted by vtechbrain
A seriously uneven surface is not a normal condition. Were talking regular flat road. on a very uneven road if the wheels get some air or loose traction the ABS will intrude.
dulnev i agree:

the abs is overactive. i'm driven many cars over the same exact terrian and this abs engages quite a bit
Old 03-02-2004, 07:23 PM
Banned

Abs is not good it is the biggest safety device a car can have aside from the seat belt.

Besides the particularities of gravel ABS will shorten stops in almost every situation but much more than that it will enable you to maintain control in situations that would be deadly otherwise. Remember the good old times where breaking on a wet road or on ice meant that your car's ass would, without warning, end where the front should be ? ABS almost eliminates that in normal conditions (no computer can compensate for idiocy!). Having experienced brake systems since the 60's there is no way in hell I would buy a car without ABS, futhermore ABS should be included in all cars by law just like seatbelts.
Old 03-02-2004, 07:51 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts

This is totally wrong.

Like what vtechbrain said: "One thing they dont tell you about abs is that it actually takes lnoger to stop in loose conditions than non ABS."

Tons of advise on cars indicate this informiaton to drivers. But most of drivers are still believing that ABS could enhance the brake power and shorten the distance. This kind of "cognitive dissonance" would make themselves into even danger situations.

Also, you have to step on your brakes staight down when driving ABS vehicles, don't try to use the same techniq (our foot would act like step/release ABS-like when driving non-ABS ones) to drive ABS cars.

If you don't know how to operate ABS properly, don't buy it... Maybe this is what they said...
Old 03-03-2004, 02:47 AM
Intermediate

You can learn how to "operate ABS properly". In fact, I'd argue that it's more instinctive in emergency braking situations to slam on the brakes first and think about pumping second.

The reason that ABS performs worse in snow and gravel is that by locking up the wheels, they serve to plow material in front of the wheel, serving to slow the car more quickly.

Go try some truly emergency stops both with and without ABS and see how your skills match up against technology 1) braking in a straight line, and then 2) braking while steering.
Old 03-03-2004, 07:57 AM
Instructor

My stupid Chrysler's rotors warped out on me, and caused pulsing like you mentioned. It could be that... Here's a new idea no one has mentioned. Maybe you should take it in to the dealer, and have them check it out.
Old 03-03-2004, 08:36 AM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by kilrb
My stupid Chrysler's rotors warped out on me, and caused pulsing like you mentioned. It could be that... Here's a new idea no one has mentioned. Maybe you should take it in to the dealer, and have them check it out.
What a novel idea,

Read the entire thread
Old 03-03-2004, 09:28 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by KJSmitty
What a novel idea,

Read the entire thread
That's what the is for!
Old 03-03-2004, 09:30 AM
Burning Brakes

this is a tough crowd, and a tough room. hopefully the originator of the thread is starting to get the message though